K-Mart. Practically a ghost town.
Peaches

Terre Haute, IN

#4 Oct 18, 2011
I hear Highland cemetery is creepy.
Mathias

Chicago, IL

#5 Oct 18, 2011
The basement of Moggers holds the ghosts of runaway slaves. I'm just sayin.
The Real Turk

Spartanburg, SC

#6 Oct 19, 2011
That building was not in the Underground Railroad. The only ghost there are the glory days of Old Terre Haute. Prohibition killed it! There are stops in Terre Haute, that is not one.
Mathias wrote:
justmyopinion

West Terre Haute, IN

#7 Oct 19, 2011
Go to the SHADOW ASYLUM..949 N 10th St, Terre Haute, IN 47802
Cledus

Shepardsville, IN

#9 Oct 19, 2011
The Real Turk wrote:
That building was not in the Underground Railroad.
I think what the poster was thinking of was the old tunnels under the Bleemel Building that were rumored to be tied into the prohibition days.
Mathias

United States

#10 Oct 19, 2011
My explanation was up for a few minutes, but it disappeared.

Topix must be haunted!
Wally

Shepardsville, IN

#11 Oct 19, 2011
Know wrote:
K-Mart. Practically a ghost town.
I didn't know Terre Haute still had a K-Mart. I thought they went out of business 3 years ago!!! lol.
for sure

United States

#12 Oct 24, 2011
Mathias wrote:
I do not know if they are slaves but there is definitely spirits there.
Spiller

Chicago, IL

#13 Oct 24, 2011
Is the Stiify Green dog still at Highland?
the truth

Terre Haute, IN

#14 Oct 27, 2011
Spiller wrote:
Is the Stiify Green dog still at Highland?
Not anymore, it was moved a few years ago to the Historical Museum.
Enough

Chicago, IL

#15 Oct 28, 2011
Stiffy Green is not a stuffed dog he is a statue (John Heinl may have very well had a bull dog but not this one.)

The local legends and lore

Stiffy green

The Martin sheets mausoleum

The old RR trestle
( there were 3 train disaster from 1802-1902

Cromwell hall at ISU

The Preston house, torn down now

The Terre Haute House, torn down

100 steps cemetery,
(count the steps going up and down up turn around and the care taker will appear and tell when and how you will die)

Hatchmens grave,
When the moon is full he is out looking for hads

Sulfur Springs Cemetery
(the ground is haunted due to conflicts between Indians and white men.)

Rule cemetery, A witch buried there supposedly
Red Eyes

To many of the covered bridges to list
Grounds of Fort Harrison
(that place is creepy)

Deming School,
(supposedly a man haunts the school
(many of the employees especially those who clan at night report strange things)

At 6th and Ohio you are walking or driving over old graves.

Orchard hill the 2nd cemetery in TH

Old mill Dam legend of a young girl walking the banks

The Markle house across the street, part of underground railroad.

and that is just some I can think of right now.

Mason

Terre Haute, IN

#16 Oct 28, 2011
When i was a teenager we used to go to spook light hill and hells gates.

legend has it that at hells gates----when you drive through the tunnel, you make as much noise as you can. then when you get to the end of the tunnel, you get out of you car and go up on the train tracks above the tunnel. put your ear on the rail, and if you hear a baby cry, you run back to your car and a jeep will chase you. i'm sure there are a thousand stories of what happens there.....
but..........
one night me and some buddies went there, we had been there a million times before and nothing ever happened. but this particular night was different. the moon was full, there was a light fog and a slight chill in the air, where you could just see your breath.
this time we decided we were going to do every thing we could summons up whatever was supposed to be haunting that place.
so we started at the south end of the tunnel and drove through it very slowly, which is creepy any way since it always seems to have water in it, because it is the lowest place in the road, and it is only wide enough for one car to pass through it at a time. we made a lot of noise, i was driving and honking the horn while my three buddies were yelling and taunting the "spirits". i'm sure if anyone would have seen us we would have looked like a bunch of dumb ass's. when we got to the other end of tunnel, we stopped.each of us got out of the car. then my buddy noticed some headlights coming up behind us. so we figured we better get the car out of the way since we were blocking the road. we got back in the car and causally started to drive away. then one of my buddies in the back seat noticed that the vehicle that was behind us, was in fact a jeep. and informed me that i needed to "step on it" because it was coming up fast. so i did. not far from the north end of the tunnel there are two 90 degree turns. the jeep followed us into the first one. then after i made the second turn the jeep disappeared. what a relief, right. it was just someone passing through to get there house. so we hoped. we decided to turn around and investigate. upon returning to the the two 90 degree turns we saw that there was no place that the jeep could have turned into or even turned around with out leaving a trace of where it went. this jeep truly did disappear.
we decided to turn around again and take the long way home. the four of us, never went there together again. i have since been through there many times, but i keep quiet while i'm driving through the tunnel. it's still creepy, even in the daylight.
Enough

Elmwood Park, IL

#17 Oct 28, 2011
The other legend of spooklight is either the wife or daughter was run over by a horse drawn carriage and decapitated. The light is the lantern of the father or husband looking for the head. Another legend of hells gates is if your car died you couldn't get out. Also there was supposed to have been a train wreck their. Haven't found any information on that but I have lots of research on the sordid history of Terre Haute. McCormick sugar coats everything. He doesn't tell the full truth.
Mason

Terre Haute, IN

#18 Oct 28, 2011
a friend of mine's mom told me about a bridge that a date took her to once, when she was in her early twenties. as she told it, a teenager was about to drive across the bridge and dropped his cigarette. when he reached for it he ran off the bridge and was killed. she says, since then if you park at the edge of the bridge and shut your car off, put a cigarette in your mouth and then start your car the cigarette will light. she said when her date put the cigarette in his mouth, she grabbed the keys and would not give them back until he got rid of the cigarettes.
when she told me this story all she could remember about the bridges location was that it was south of terre haute.
norwegian wood

Terre Haute, IN

#19 Oct 29, 2011
what and where is grounds of fort harrison?
Glass Onion

AOL

#20 Oct 29, 2011
where the Landing is today woody
Crazylikeafox

Terre Haute, IN

#21 Oct 29, 2011
2 yrs. ago I took my teenage kids on a ghosthunting adventure for fun at Woodlawn cemetery. We snapped pictures, but didn't notice anything while we were there. We downloaded the pictures and noticed something strange on a mausoleum. There were two faces looking out the window of it. One was clearly of a man in his late 30's or early 40's with a handlebar moustache. The other was a young woman in her 20's with a her hair in a bun. I researched who was buried there and sure enough it was a father and daughter who died in those age ranges. I still have the picture but, we haven't been back. LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terre Haute Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brian Beck of Rosedale 1 min Deep 4
Beck family of Rosedale 5 min Missy 2
News James Comey fired as FBI director 7 min Hillary 2,901
Brian Beck 14 min Dan 2
Lynn and James Beck 19 min elliott ness 2
Brian Beck - POS liar and cheater 21 min elliott ness 2
Terre Haute boys and girls club 45 min Flora Gullick 10
Feds at VCSC (Jun '16) 5 hr sickofit 2,017

Terre Haute Jobs

More from around the web