Motorcycle crash at 17th and Hulman
kitcat

Terre Haute, IN

#95 May 25, 2012
Proof Positive wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you were on your stoop and witnessed, at 10:30ish p.m...in the dark, and could guage their speed because of what sagacious ability? I am sure they surpassed posted speed limits, but in no way could any "witness" verify their speed. I challenge anyone to "witness" 2 bikes roaring past their house, at any speed between 40-90 mph, to accurately report anything. How long would it have taken them to pass your house? My educated guess is less than 1 second.
if you happen to be in my neighborhood, you'll see there are adequate street lights, not to mention they stopped to talk two doors down from me then started racing again. They were going fast enough that when they stopped their rear tires skidded sideways, which they found hilarious. i did not guess their speed, but it was definitely not a legal speed for a residential area.
yep, i seen 'em i did.
what

Terre Haute, IN

#96 May 25, 2012
if the driver of the car was sober and had no priors and said he did not see them because they did not have their head lights on this would be a completely different discussion
Jacob Tingley

United States

#97 May 25, 2012
DISGUSTED wrote:
FACT: TRAVIS LEY HAD A PRIOR DUI, IT'S PUBLIC RECORD. TO BLAM THE VICTIMS, JUST DISGUSTING! This site should be shut down, I hope none of you who are placing blame on the victims never lose a child. To have zero compassion makes me sick!
FACT: Travis Ley has no prior drinking charges, you better re-check your records. He is a veteran, a good dad, a hard worker, and a stand-up friend. Not a p.o.s. at all. He obviously made some bad judgements that night, as did the guys on the cycles. My condolences go out to the family and friends of the young man who died. It's a disgusting situation across the board. If my friend/family member died I'd be pissed too, but I wouldn't be illogical about it. If you see oncoming traffic and they're several blocks away, it's natural to assume you have plenty of time to turn across traffic. Unless they're going 100mph. But since Travis had had some drinks, people want to automatically assume he is to blame. It will all come out in the wash, I hope. As i said, condolences to the Owens family and I hope Quinn recovers quickly. But everyone needs to take accountability for their part. And as for the illiterate idiots blowing off steam under made up names??? Get a f***ing job...and spellcheck. You sound ignorant.
kitcat

Terre Haute, IN

#98 May 25, 2012
DISGUSTED wrote:
FACT: TRAVIS LEY HAD A PRIOR DUI, IT'S PUBLIC RECORD. TO BLAM THE VICTIMS, JUST DISGUSTING! This site should be shut down, I hope none of you who are placing blame on the victims never lose a child. To have zero compassion makes me sick!
it's sad a young man lost his life, we must never lose sight of the fact his family circle has now been broken.
But as for the motorcycle riders being victims, I just don't agree. all three involved were guilty of breaking the law.
my 2 cents

Atlanta, GA

#99 May 25, 2012
I hate it that one kid is dead, and I did know him. He filled my kids prescriptions at the pharmacy. He was a good kid. His family will never be the same. The other kid I heard stories in both directions about, but won't pass a judgment either way about him. His life and families life also will never be the same. The driver of the car I have heard nothing but good things about. Again, life changed forever. If the guys were racing, that was a lapse in judgment by them and one is dead now. We all make mistakes when we are young and we are careless and wreck less at times. The man in the car clearly made a horrible decision to drink and drive. At any rate, why don't you all stop picking at this stuff and try to let the kid rest in peace. The kid is dead. Let it be.
Use your noggin

Clinton, IN

#100 May 25, 2012
You are right "my 2 cents". They are all showing a huge lack of respect for the friend they claim they love. There is no justifying what happened or who did what. All are humans who are predisposed to erring, show them all some mercy.
Simple Really

Rogers, AR

#102 May 25, 2012
Ride like an idiot, die like an idiot... nothing else to say here... All involved were being stupid, and this is what happens!
knowitall

Terre Haute, IN

#103 May 25, 2012
lets not forget woman beater... lol
Jacob Tingley wrote:
<quoted text>
FACT: Travis Ley has no prior drinking charges, you better re-check your records. He is a veteran, a good dad, a hard worker, and a stand-up friend. Not a p.o.s. at all. He obviously made some bad judgements that night, as did the guys on the cycles. My condolences go out to the family and friends of the young man who died. It's a disgusting situation across the board. If my friend/family member died I'd be pissed too, but I wouldn't be illogical about it. If you see oncoming traffic and they're several blocks away, it's natural to assume you have plenty of time to turn across traffic. Unless they're going 100mph. But since Travis had had some drinks, people want to automatically assume he is to blame. It will all come out in the wash, I hope. As i said, condolences to the Owens family and I hope Quinn recovers quickly. But everyone needs to take accountability for their part. And as for the illiterate idiots blowing off steam under made up names??? Get a f***ing job...and spellcheck. You sound ignorant.
hmmm

Terre Haute, IN

#104 May 25, 2012
So if the person they hit while racing was sober it would be? There are no victims in this case all involved were making poor decisions. This was a tragic accident that all parties could have avoided but people make mistakes. This could have been avoided by everyone involved!
hmmm

Terre Haute, IN

#105 May 25, 2012
poing being they are all to blame and just because one guy was drunk doesnt take away from the other two. on a bike you hit a car crossing you path at thirty you do not die or get life lined to a different hospital. they all were being idiots!
Just an observer

Indianapolis, IN

#106 May 26, 2012
It appears too many people have too much time to focus on the fault(s) of others. To judge either party isn't our position. To create something positive out of a tragedy, such as this, seems too old-fashioned though. Perhaps create awareness of the wrong-doings and find ways to detour them? Not one of you is above breaking the law. Be it as "little" as not making a COMPLETE stop at a stop sign or doing 100 mph plus. I have lost (fortunately only one) a close friend due to a lack of judgement in a vehicle. Not quite 16 and her friend let her drive a car. The ending result? Death. Did she deserve to die? God no. Did the semi that hit her deserve the guilt of "not stopping in time" and killing her? God no. Did they each have their own mistakes that created a tragedy? Yes. For some reason, fate has a cruel way of changing our lives for the good.. and bad. We, as a people, can't figure out why it happens so it's easier to blame everybody around. People were injured and killed in this accident. What if it was your child that was killed? What if it was your child THAT KILLED? Who is right and who is wrong at the end of the day? Either way, there are families and friends that have to try and close their eyes at night and sleep... knowing their love one was taken from this world, or has taken someone from this world. Do you think they need the unnessecary bullshit from the peanut gallery? Doubt it... But it's always easier to forget we all bleed the same, breathe the same. But I am just an idiot 27 year old that does stupid things occasionally, less than more as I age. But I also love people and this world. Ironic how this world works, huh? Prayers to all involved.
my 2 cents

United States

#107 May 26, 2012
Just an observer wrote:
It appears too many people have too much time to focus on the fault(s) of others. To judge either party isn't our position. To create something positive out of a tragedy, such as this, seems too old-fashioned though. Perhaps create awareness of the wrong-doings and find ways to detour them? Not one of you is above breaking the law. Be it as "little" as not making a COMPLETE stop at a stop sign or doing 100 mph plus. I have lost (fortunately only one) a close friend due to a lack of judgement in a vehicle. Not quite 16 and her friend let her drive a car. The ending result? Death. Did she deserve to die? God no. Did the semi that hit her deserve the guilt of "not stopping in time" and killing her? God no. Did they each have their own mistakes that created a tragedy? Yes. For some reason, fate has a cruel way of changing our lives for the good.. and bad. We, as a people, can't figure out why it happens so it's easier to blame everybody around. People were injured and killed in this accident. What if it was your child that was killed? What if it was your child THAT KILLED? Who is right and who is wrong at the end of the day? Either way, there are families and friends that have to try and close their eyes at night and sleep... knowing their love one was taken from this world, or has taken someone from this world. Do you think they need the unnessecary bullshit from the peanut gallery? Doubt it... But it's always easier to forget we all bleed the same, breathe the same. But I am just an idiot 27 year old that does stupid things occasionally, less than more as I age. But I also love people and this world. Ironic how this world works, huh? Prayers to all involved.
Well said.
jay

United States

#108 May 26, 2012
The issue isn't drunk driving, it's reckless motorcycle riders.
Get Real

Terre Haute, IN

#109 May 26, 2012
I have noticed several comments on this thread related to Mr. Ley and his choosing to drink and drive and what a pos he must be. So many people that are holier than thou!

Take a drive around town on any given night and observe all the vehicles you see parked around the numerous bars and clubs that exist in this city. The FOP on the southside included!

Do you actually believe that all of the patrons in these establishments have designated drivers?

Each of these individuals share responsibility for what happened that night and unfortunately one of them had to lose their life because of it.
Knucklehead

United States

#110 May 26, 2012
jay wrote:
The issue isn't drunk driving, it's reckless motorcycle riders.
No, the issue is making bad choices and not using good judgement. MANY will suffer the consequences of that night..... and they will suffer the rest of their lives.
One, the loss of life. One, the loss of quality of life. One the loss of freedom. All the families and friends, pure loss.
jay

United States

#111 May 26, 2012
They weren't hit because he was drunk. They were hit because they were driving recklessly and dangerously. Seriously, what did they think would happen when they were riding like that? A sober driver would have hit them too in that same scenario. You guys just can't see that because it's hard to be rational while dealing with so much emotion.
wrong

Terre Haute, IN

#112 May 26, 2012
Jacob Tingley wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because someone spells a word wrong that makes them illiterate?and what does that have to do with the topic?why do people here just want to attack each other?So you can cuss at me now and i hope you feel better,but that will not change the events that took place,also a lot of people who have been out of high school for a long time lose the ability to spell
SO SAD

Terre Haute, IN

#113 May 26, 2012
Why is everyone blaming someone? What happened was an accident that was HORRIBLE and unfortunately Leylahnd died and was not able to learn from his mistake! When you are 22 yrs old you do not think of a car pulling out in front of you. When I was 22 I did a lot of careless stuff but God blessed me and allowed me to learn from my mistakes....Leylahnd did not get this opportunity. We all need to remember how fragile life is and this accident could have happened to ANY of us (pulling out in front of the boys on the motorcycles). Please quit trying to put the blame on someone and let the Owens family grieve in peace! This is tragic all the way around and blaming people is not going to bring Leylahnd back! We all have done stupid stuff and fortunately we were able to live and learn,...please just remember God did not allow Leylahnd to have a second chance!
SAD

Terre Haute, IN

#115 May 26, 2012
Ley, RIP. I didnt know you very well but my BF did and he is greatly missing you. Everyone with the negative comments... keep them to yourself. You will never be forgotten. May you rest easy.
Thomas

Terre Haute, IN

#116 May 26, 2012
You dumbasses are talking as if 22 years old was 6 years old! When I was 22 I had graduated college and a full time job! 22 is not young!!!!!! Many 22 year olds have children in kindergarten or first grade! He was an idiot piece of shit who got what he deserved! Thank god he is off our streets permanently!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terre Haute Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
North Vigo Athletics recognized 5 min calm voice 2
Pete Tanoos 6 min Short Guy 4
Roundabout Needed for Brown & Ohio Blvd. 7 min calm voice 11
City Council moves public sewage meeting 22 min dogman 3
Aunkia 36 min Aunika 6
Bad news on Tanoos 1 hr Melvin 11
Franklin Fennell 1 hr Greg 121
Paul Lockhart 18 hr Mike Gunn 36
News Mike's Market changing hands 21 hr Those Idiots 21
Feds at VCSC Mon Concerned parents 1,300