Should Danny Tanoos be replaced Vigo ...

Should Danny Tanoos be replaced Vigo County School Superintendent

Created by what on Aug 21, 2012

429 votes

Click on an option to vote

yes

no

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Hell Yes

Belvidere, IL

#1 Aug 21, 2012
Hell Yes
Click to vote

Terre Haute, IN

#3 Aug 21, 2012
8 to 1 come on people vote.
Teachers look at comment

Terre Haute, IN

#4 Aug 21, 2012
For every TEACHER that votes if you would just put (TEACHER) in the comment field that would be great.
Teacher

Terre Haute, IN

#5 Aug 21, 2012
Teacher
michelle

Terre Haute, IN

#6 Aug 21, 2012
Hell yes!! He is a Moron!!
Teacher

Terre Haute, IN

#7 Aug 21, 2012
Teachers look at comment wrote:
For every TEACHER that votes if you would just put (TEACHER) in the comment field that would be great.
Why? They will track us down if we vote and we will be looking for another job.
Back to the top

Terre Haute, IN

#8 Aug 21, 2012
Vote
Scrool

United States

#9 Aug 22, 2012
Fire him.
just wondering

United States

#10 Aug 22, 2012
Get rid of him and replace the entire school board too
sweetie

Shepardsville, IN

#11 Aug 22, 2012
just wondering wrote:
Get rid of him and replace the entire school board too
Agree!
Morbidly Obese

Terre Haute, IN

#12 Aug 22, 2012
There is nothing left that he can do with any effectiveness. A superintendents job is not a career path. There is nothing new that he offer/bring to the corp. His "impeccable record of fiscal reponsibility" is the ability of someone to manage a 160,000,000.00 dollars divided amongst some 16,000 students for round numbers. This, for those of you without a calculator, is 10k PER student. Keeping in mind that exhorbitant book fees subsidize many of the materials and parentally subsidized supplies limit the number of supplies a student needs. This kind of money will put your child in many,many colleges. The fact that the money is managed so well is that so much money is provided for his business venture that sure, hes gonna be under budget. If these enlightening numbers are not enough to convince you he should be done, look at the POLL above. The public want him gone. In addition, at 10k per student why are the lights turned off in the hallways of our schools? What is this showing our children? Noe a conservative green attitude but one of poverty. I can just read their minds "school is too poor to turn on the lights" A poor mindset is not a good one to instill in children that are being educated to be successful..supposedly. I wonder this year as my children are no longer in school, is the AC on this year? It took a public outrage last year to make it happen. I wonder, this year, is there enough seating in the cafeterias at North and South or are students still forced to sit on the floor and eat their lunch? Fiscal responsibility is one of balancing needs with money available. That shown of Tanoos and our school board is driven by providing less than necessary and showing up at the end of the year with a surplus. Hell, If I chose not to buy necessities I would have money left over too-
Letter in Trib Star today

Terre Haute, IN

#13 Aug 22, 2012
eEdition

Homepage

News

Local & Bistate State News News Columns Vital Stats Business Multimedia Photo Galleries
Letter in Trib Star Today
Overcrowding an Otter Creek issue

While the teachers and staff at Otter Creek Middle School did their best to provide a happy, welcoming first day of school for new and returning students, it proved to be quite a challenge as they faced extremely overcrowded conditions.

Last week, Otter Creek welcomed approximately 300 new students and teachers from the former Chauncey Rose Middle School. This represents an almost 40 percent increase from the previous year’s enrollment. Some classrooms currently have more than 42 students in them. Students are crowded around tables and even share the teacher’s desk because there is not adequate space for student desks. According to the formula set by the Indiana State Department of Homeland Security for fire safety, these high enrollments exceed maximum occupancy levels and pose possible code violations.

Moreover, there are not enough lockers for the sixth-graders in their own hallway, so many of them must walk through a very crowded hallway of older students to collect their books. To top it off, the building’s worn-out air-conditioning system was not working properly last week, adding to the discomfort of many people in the building.

To be very clear, the incredibly dedicated staff at Otter Creek did everything possible to make sure the children felt welcomed and secure. It was a top priority, and has been so since last school year. No, this inexcusable classroom situation falls squarely on Superintendent Tanoos and the school board, who failed to implement a plan for the smooth transition of Chauncey Rose students to their new school homes.

Mr. Tanoos and the school board had nearly a year and a half to come up with such a plan and to consider a number of possibilities that would have ensured a safe and welcoming learning environment for all students and staff at Otter Creek. But instead, our educational leaders sat and waited. And now the students lose.

With a 40 percent increase in enrollments at Otter Creek, where are the additional classrooms and teachers? Temporary classrooms could have been placed on school grounds until a more permanent solution to the physical space constraint was reached. But is Otter Creek’s building even in the school corporation’s plans for upgrade and expansion?

Building improvements would obviously involve a significant commitment of funds; as the school board voted to close Chauncey Rose in order to avoid costly building upgrades, surely they recognized that such action might require a significant investment in physical plant improvement elsewhere.

Another option Mr. Tanoos and the school board could have considered was redistricting — a difficult subject to be sure, but one that would have evened out the enrollment discrepancies between Sarah Scott, Woodrow Wilson and Otter Creek. Would such classroom overcrowding be tolerated at Honey Creek school? Would any of the school board members want their children or grandchildren to be in, say, a reading class of 44 students?

My children graduated from Otter Creek after three happy, successful years there. My children flourished at that school in large part because of the secure and supportive atmosphere the teachers and staff provided. I am confident the teachers and staff will continue to do their best to provide the same learning environment my children had. It’s just too bad that our educational leaders downtown won’t do the same.

— Dorothy Chambers

Terre Haute
Teacher

Terre Haute, IN

#14 Aug 22, 2012
Thank you. Ms. Chambers for writing a concise, coherent, truthful letter. It is exactly what we teachers would like to express but are afraid to because of the ramifications.
sweetie

Shepardsville, IN

#15 Aug 22, 2012
I have to disagree with the comment made about Honey Creek in the previous coment. Last year my daughter attended Honey Creek and she was enrolled in a computer class of over 40 students. That may be in part because they allow students from other districts to attend the school. This same large class follwed each related arts subject in that rotation and they had to do some re-adjusting .They had other teachers coming in from other schools to teach for an hour or so to help out They even had special needs assistants help out in classes when they are needed. So Honey Creek IS NOT EXEMPT from this problem of overcrowding.
Lee Harvey

Shepardsville, IN

#17 Aug 22, 2012
Lets not forget the fiscal responsibility of canopies, when they had to close a school.
Momma

Crawfordsville, IN

#19 Aug 22, 2012
Are these canopies cloth or will they be "stick built"?
what

Terre Haute, IN

#20 Aug 22, 2012
Momma wrote:
Are these canopies cloth or will they be "stick built"?
if you look up the websight of the designer he as artist renderings of the designs in place at the schools they look all stick but its hard to tell
Momma

Crawfordsville, IN

#21 Aug 22, 2012
Could $78K cover 13 stick built canopies ?
what

Terre Haute, IN

#22 Aug 22, 2012
Momma wrote:
Could $78K cover 13 stick built canopies ?
no
starvin Marvin

Canton, NC

#23 Aug 23, 2012
Who cares wtf they are made of its a waste of money. I think the corporation should buy a boat, that would be useful when Ouabache floods again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terre Haute Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News City's general fund deficit grew $2M in March 20 min Public Safety 2
News Lawmakers forming committee to study LGBT rights 2 hr Voter 23
Robyn King Channel 2 (Mar '15) 6 hr Seriously 10
Aaron Hunt (Feb '15) 7 hr Sherry 7
Ghost Stories 7 hr Pastor Jeff 2
Elements Salon and Spa Is The New Tyler`s 8 hr Nic 5
News Regional Hospital earns 'A' for patient safety 8 hr Independent Party 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Terre Haute Mortgages