Define an "effective" Teacher?

Define an "effective" Teacher?

Posted in the Terre Haute Forum

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#1 Mar 23, 2012
Define "effective teacher".

I've worked as a teacher in the VCSC for 10 years now and am amazed at people's definition of this term.

Just curious as to the public's definition of an effective teacher... Or what makes
a teacher effective? Highly qualified?
"Golden Apple Worthy"

I've been nominated 8 of my 10 years for the Golden Apple, but never won.

Does this mean I'm effective/ineffective, or is it completely separate?

I know my answers... What's yours?

Since: Mar 12

Terre Haute, IN

#2 Mar 23, 2012
Anything in this town that you get nominated for it most likely political. It's who you know and/or who you blow around here.

My definition of an effective teacher is one that has a positive effect on children's lives. One that cares and makes an impression on my kids, sets a positive example, shows them what an educated person can do with their life.

My kids have grown up in the VCSC and we've had good and bad teachers, the worst ones were the ones that made my children feel bad about themselves, criticized them personally, said things like "you didn't even try!" any my child was crying because they really did try their best, etc... I know people are only human, even teachers have bad days.

It's definately completely separate - the reward is all of the smiling faces that look forward to attending your class every day!

Location hidden

#3 Mar 23, 2012
LAanonymous wrote:
Anything in this town that you get nominated for it most likely political. It's who you know and/or who you blow around here.

My definition of an effective teacher is one that has a positive effect on children's lives. One that cares and makes an impression on my kids, sets a positive example, shows them what an educated person can do with their life.

My kids have grown up in the VCSC and we've had good and bad teachers, the worst ones were the ones that made my children feel bad about themselves, criticized them personally, said things like "you didn't even try!" any my child was crying because they really did try their best, etc... I know people are only human, even teachers have bad days.

It's definately completely separate - the reward is all of the smiling faces that look forward to attending your class every day!
GREAT points, LAanonymous. I agree- it's all about who you know... And who knows you.

I certainly try my best to form a special bond with each of my students... To show them that I truly do care for them. Sure, I want them to grasp the concepts being taught in my class... But leaving my class with:
-higher self esteem
-better work-study-habits
-more respect for themselves, peers, teachers and parents
-a strive to be better, all around, today than they were yesterday... And to be better tomorrow than they are today.

My philosophy in education is rather simple- Be firm, be fair, be fun.

-I have I expectations... And I'm firm with my follow-up when my students don't meet my expectations.

-fair doesn't mean everyone gets the same assignments or treatment--- it means they get what they need.(a doctor wouldn't give a band-aid for every patient, regardless of ther condition.

-we have A LOT of fun in my classroom... Life is too short to miss out on the joy of laughter.

“The Ministry of Information”

Since: Jan 12

Terre Haute, In

#4 Mar 23, 2012
Lapibajo wrote:
Define "effective teacher".

I've worked as a teacher in the VCSC for 10 years now and am amazed at people's definition of this term.

Just curious as to the public's definition of an effective teacher... Or what makes
a teacher effective? Highly qualified?
"Golden Apple Worthy"

I've been nominated 8 of my 10 years for the Golden Apple, but never won.

Does this mean I'm effective/ineffective, or is it completely separate?

I know my answers... What's yours?
An effective teacher is one who would never teach their students to use quotation marks for "emphasis".

Location hidden

#5 Mar 23, 2012
Keep Calm and Carry On wrote:
<quoted text>An effective teacher is one who would never teach their students to use quotation marks for "emphasis".
Ha! Well, I guess I'm not an "effective teacher".
For the record, I wanted to express emphasis but can't use bold and/or italics, and found the quotation marks a suitable use.

Besides... I teach "Science", not "Language Arts".

(I'm not suggesting that "proper" grammar isn't "important"... But hopefully, you get the "point".)

“The Ministry of Information”

Since: Jan 12

Terre Haute, In

#6 Mar 23, 2012
Lapibajo wrote:
<quoted text>Ha! Well, I guess I'm not an "effective teacher".
For the record, I wanted to express emphasis but can't use bold and/or italics, and found the quotation marks a suitable use.

Besides... I teach "Science", not "Language Arts".

(I'm not suggesting that "proper" grammar isn't "important"... But hopefully, you get the "point".)
Lol, "nice" response.

Since: Mar 12

Terre Haute, IN

#7 Mar 23, 2012
<quoted text>
An effective teacher is one who would never teach their students to use quotation marks for "emphasis".
OMG - KCACO you crack me up! I can't help but "like" you.

I think you are putting the wrong emphAsis on the wrong syllAble on this one.

Location hidden

#8 Mar 23, 2012
<quoted text>Lol, "nice" response.
:-)

Location hidden

#9 Mar 23, 2012
LAanonymous wrote:

ha! "who you know and who you blow"

Sad, but true.

I'm not on either end of that party. I guess that's why I haven't won.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terre Haute Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Best Steak in Terre Haute? 17 min black toy 4 wf 12
It Ain't Over Skippy 37 min geeb ster 2
stand off 38 min Cindy 26
Best Pizza in Terre Haute 57 min Cindy 21
Is anyone else a thief 1 hr Cindy 7
Danny Tanoo's was involved 1 hr ZaP rOWSDOWER 12
Fennelís Trial Begins 2 hr FBI 26
WTHI Lies 5 hr Susan 13
Fennel not guilty 7 hr Brent 14
Mike Pick SUN FACTORY OWNER and VIGO COUNTY SCH... (Nov '16) Wed Cindy 36