Gibault Terre Haute
Robby Strum

Shepardsville, IN

#368 Mar 19, 2012
Woah where'd my post about gettin my Boner out at bluesfest go, mmm
Concerned

Shepardsville, IN

#370 May 28, 2012
Fairlite wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously, The wonderful Madley and Sinclair have not screwed you over.
I agree with you about Sinclair, Madley and you need to add Sturm to that group. I worked there in the Education department and thought they did a good job with the kids. I believe they did make a difference. It is the management that is screwed up. Someone needs to investigate that group of people. When I was there kids were medicated but only the ones that needed it. I would still send a kid there to get help. Management is the one that needs to be medicated.
First hand knowledge

Noblesville, IN

#371 Jun 1, 2012
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you about Sinclair, Madley and you need to add Sturm to that group. I worked there in the Education department and thought they did a good job with the kids. I believe they did make a difference. It is the management that is screwed up. Someone needs to investigate that group of people. When I was there kids were medicated but only the ones that needed it. I would still send a kid there to get help. Management is the one that needs to be medicated.
First of all, if an employee is doing their job as expected to they will not lose it unless there are budget cuts, which there have been in the past few years. Sometimes, that place is a last resort for kids who are lost in the system. I am en ex-employee and can honestly say that none of the higher management screwed me over. Gibault does an excellent job with the troubled kids in their care...especially the Education department. I saw kids graduate that would have never in a public school system.
Franks Folly

Terre Haute, IN

#373 Jun 12, 2012
First hand knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, if an employee is doing their job as expected to they will not lose it unless there are budget cuts, which there have been in the past few years. Sometimes, that place is a last resort for kids who are lost in the system. I am en ex-employee and can honestly say that none of the higher management screwed me over. Gibault does an excellent job with the troubled kids in their care...especially the Education department. I saw kids graduate that would have never in a public school system.
Is budget cuts the reason the last three that left Gibault and attacked a person who was going to work? If you can't man that place so the people of Terre Haute are not threatened by your clients, Shut the damn place down!
Witch with a B

Clinton, IN

#374 Jun 12, 2012
It isn't just the community that has to be considered. The welfare of those kids is at stake as well. They are there to get help for behavior problems. Allowing them to be away from supervision is a huge risk. Remember the 3 who carjacked and wrecked last year? These are kids who already have problems, they don't need irresponsible people looking after them.
It costs a pretty penny for a child to attend this school, either through tuition or funds from United Way. Contrary to the uninformed, the Catholic Church does not fund this school. It was founded by a Catholic priest and run by the Diocese (not the Vatican) in the past but not now.
fhk

Carmel, IN

#375 Jun 15, 2012
Franks Folly wrote:
<quoted text>
Is budget cuts the reason the last three that left Gibault and attacked a person who was going to work? If you can't man that place so the people of Terre Haute are not threatened by your clients, Shut the damn place down!
Perhaps. I can't really speak about the exact budgeting but across the board, state funding is and has been cut to numerous juvenile facilities across the state, causing many to close. Gibault did tighten it's belt and dealt with budgeting cuts. This included staffing. However, the staff that worked there worked within the realms of their clientelle. It is more of a trickle down effect. I do not know the specifics of the recent situation. The "juveniles" are very cunning and manipulative, more of a criminal mindset. Which is how they should have been dealt with within their own communities. These juveniles are not reflective of all the children in treatment at Giabult.
anonymous

Carmel, IN

#376 Jun 15, 2012
Witch with a B wrote:
It isn't just the community that has to be considered. The welfare of those kids is at stake as well. They are there to get help for behavior problems. Allowing them to be away from supervision is a huge risk. Remember the 3 who carjacked and wrecked last year? These are kids who already have problems, they don't need irresponsible people looking after them.
It costs a pretty penny for a child to attend this school, either through tuition or funds from United Way. Contrary to the uninformed, the Catholic Church does not fund this school. It was founded by a Catholic priest and run by the Diocese (not the Vatican) in the past but not now.
The issue is not that the staff working were being neglectful. There is a ratio that is set according to state guidelines. They were in ratio. One staff to three unknown sized juveniles plus however were remaining children in the dorm, that they also had to protect, is never a good situation. In both instances, the juveniles plotted against staff and other clients, and then preyed on the members of the community. There is no easy fix and many factors come into play. Not knowing too many specifics, I can't venture to say what the end result may be. At this point, it doesn't look good for Gibault. The children remaining in their care with no other placements suitable to return them to is the biggest concern. As well as the members of the community affected and remaining staff who are struggling to take care of them because of their own neglecftul/abusive home lives.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#377 Jun 20, 2012
The board members and any governing officals who are running Gibault needs to get their heads out of their a** and realize their kids are not the kind of kids for that facility. The ones that they suppect to be runners should be sent back to their own counties and let the little darlings terrorize them. There have been kids who were released and went back to their own counties and murdered. There are gang members. These are hard core kids. I don't know about now but Gibault would have taken any kid just to get the money. IT'S ABOUT THE MONEY!
yup

United States

#379 Jun 20, 2012
Walk away again today. Sure wouldn't let them take care of my dead tomato plant
Employee at Gibault

Elizabethton, TN

#381 Aug 8, 2012
As an employee at Gibault School, I would highly recommend, if you're considering it, do not send your child to Gibault. I would like to say it's a good place for youth, but it is not. I know this first hand. Ethics are not a high priority for this facility. I've worked there fot several years, and I'm only working there right now to pay the bills. I do plan to report the ethical behavior of several of the staff once I leave. I do know that the right thing to do is to report the ethical violations right now but I can not. I need a job. I'm not sure how the board of directors allow some of the administors to work here. I wish the State would come in and help those of us who do want the right things for children. The State or Board of Directors, please clean house. You've got to start at the top.
Supervision

Elizabethton, TN

#382 Aug 8, 2012
1 child dead. Isn't that enough? Kids are dying every day because of a lack of supervision. Welcome to Gibault.
stopngo

Indianapolis, IN

#383 Aug 8, 2012
Employee at Gibault wrote:
As an employee at Gibault School, I would highly recommend, if you're considering it, do not send your child to Gibault. I would like to say it's a good place for youth, but it is not. I know this first hand. Ethics are not a high priority for this facility. I've worked there fot several years, and I'm only working there right now to pay the bills. I do plan to report the ethical behavior of several of the staff once I leave. I do know that the right thing to do is to report the ethical violations right now but I can not. I need a job. I'm not sure how the board of directors allow some of the administors to work here. I wish the State would come in and help those of us who do want the right things for children. The State or Board of Directors, please clean house. You've got to start at the top.
So it's ok for you to benefit from the wrongs that occur but when you stop receiving a check will be soon enough to report wrongdoers?
WynonasBigBrownB eaver

Birmingham, AL

#384 Mar 12, 2013
I don't know about how it is now but I was a resident somewhere around "1984" or so.
As a matter of fact, I believe that I am one of only a handful that made it out of there in under a year.
I'm sure its changed since then but I can say it was a very positive experience for me.
WynonasBigBrownB eaver

Birmingham, AL

#385 Mar 12, 2013
They did not have "girls" dorms in 84-85. What year did that start.
Did anyone else go there during these years?
I_Have_An_Opinio n_Too

Terre Haute, IN

#386 Mar 29, 2013
I served as a Gibault, Inc. employee for eight years. I was provided general orientation but spent many hours in the presence of Michele Madley, current CEO. I know Ms. Madley has a heart for the safety and treatment of children both within Gibault and within the community that her children are growing up in.
My concern of mismanagement falls to Rob Sturm. Mr Sturm does not care about the children but soley about keeping beds filled and receiving timely payment. If payment is an issue Mr. Sturm discharges the child to their community regardless if the child may be harmful.
Additionally, Mr. Sturm gives no concern to maintaining seasoned staff. Instead, he proudly tells the staff they are easily replaceable. When doing so Mr. Sturmfails to recognize the hours of training that costs Gibault, Inc. for each replaced employee.
Thus, employees are dismissed from employment far more often than when cutbacks are being made.
In past non-for-profit organization budgets could be viewed at the Terre Haute Anex. I am unsure if this is still possible but I would ecourage those with free time M-F 8-4PM to take a look at the books and see how much money is wasted.
Finally, the food provided to the children is high in fats and cholesterol. These cause your child's overall health t be at risk. Children on psychotrpic drugs are at a higher risk and those in the psychiatric residential treatment center [PRTF] unit are higher risks as they receive minimal exercise due to being in a locked/secured building.
wandering

Morehead, KY

#387 Apr 8, 2013
I am trying to locate a child who was in there. His name was William Andrew Sapp. He would be around 25 now. He was put there at a young age of maybe 8. Was a neighbor of the family and the child never had a chance. Please does anyone know what happens when they reach legal age.
sad but true

Jamestown, IN

#388 Apr 8, 2013
wandering wrote:
I am trying to locate a child who was in there. His name was William Andrew Sapp. He would be around 25 now. He was put there at a young age of maybe 8. Was a neighbor of the family and the child never had a chance. Please does anyone know what happens when they reach legal age.
Sadly, a lot of the kids go on to commit crimes as adults. Not all though. At that time (17 yrs ago?wow!) the state did not push for reunification with family, just foster care or other placements. I am not sure of the age they would have released him at Gibault. Depending on varying circumstances & treatment issues, they could be held, most recently, nearing their 21st birthday. A lot of it of it depended on the plan devised by their respectable home courts.
I'd suggest trying the Indiana Department of Corrections website ( www.in.gov \doc) to see if he was incarcerated at adult age & beyond. I also believe there is a nationwide search engine for law enforcement. Otherwise, Google or Facebook search him perhaps?
I hope he faired better than you anticipated! Good luck!
Yep

Terre Haute, IN

#389 Apr 8, 2013
I_Have_An_Opinion_Too wrote:
I served as a Gibault, Inc. employee for eight years. I was provided general orientation but spent many hours in the presence of Michele Madley, current CEO. I know Ms. Madley has a heart for the safety and treatment of children both within Gibault and within the community that her children are growing up in.
My concern of mismanagement falls to Rob Sturm. Mr Sturm does not care about the children but soley about keeping beds filled and receiving timely payment. If payment is an issue Mr. Sturm discharges the child to their community regardless if the child may be harmful.
Additionally, Mr. Sturm gives no concern to maintaining seasoned staff. Instead, he proudly tells the staff they are easily replaceable. When doing so Mr. Sturmfails to recognize the hours of training that costs Gibault, Inc. for each replaced employee.
Thus, employees are dismissed from employment far more often than when cutbacks are being made.
In past non-for-profit organization budgets could be viewed at the Terre Haute Anex. I am unsure if this is still possible but I would ecourage those with free time M-F 8-4PM to take a look at the books and see how much money is wasted.
Finally, the food provided to the children is high in fats and cholesterol. These cause your child's overall health t be at risk. Children on psychotrpic drugs are at a higher risk and those in the psychiatric residential treatment center [PRTF] unit are higher risks as they receive minimal exercise due to being in a locked/secured building.
I must have worked with you because this is spot on. Mrs. Madley does care, and I sat in a staff meeting where Sturm told us that we were all replaceable, and the only people they wouldn't hire were sex offenders and child abusers. They've lost a lot of caring staff because of this attitude.
Aint got not time 4 that

Terre Haute, IN

#390 Apr 8, 2013
Sturm also likes to walk around bragging about how many employee's he banged or is going to bang.
Aint got not time 4 that

Terre Haute, IN

#391 Apr 8, 2013
But yes the upper management (besides madley) need fired and replaced.I mean almost ALL of them.And sturm who is honestly a sexist PIG needs kicked out on the street.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terre Haute Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Terre Haute's worst fathers...annnd go! 13 min Check your self 21
worst grandma's in terre haute 35 min GrandmaNotMommy 14
College girls 41 min Anderson 2
gas station on 63 serves food off the floor to ... 1 hr Annoyed 54
Who wants to roll down shrine hill 1 hr Do you feel like ... 1
Runaway Leopard 1 hr Hide 1
I did it 1 hr Haha 1
Judy Anderson needs to go 7 hr Anderson 31

Terre Haute Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Terre Haute Mortgages