Gibault Terre Haute
Ashley

Ogden, UT

#223 Feb 24, 2010
First things first. I lived at gibault from the age of 16 to 17 and that place is horrible. I have nightmares to this day about that place. Yeah there are psychologists ( I was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and yes they heavily dose the children there. I was placed on a medication called Remron while I was there, which is a anti-depressant medication. The medication side effect is heavily induced sleep after taking it. One night while I was there a male staff member was on the night shift I woke the next morning with my bra on backwards and one arm through my shirt the other arm was out with my p.j pants pulled down. I reported this to the state agent who comes in occasionally to speak with the residents and nothing was done. I lost 30 pounds while I was there and the nurse wrote that I weighed less when I first came into the area because she said that it would look bad on them if I had lost weight. I was restrained without reason. There policy is if you are a danger to yourself or others you would be restrained. Is sitting at a table refusing to go to your room a danger to yourself or others I think not. When I left half of my possesions magically disappeared. The school I was attending while there has many pictures of bruises and cuts caused by them without cause. A lawyer I talked to said I have grounds to sue, but I never did. After leaving they sent me a payment of 800.00 dollars to basically keep my mouth shut people need to know though. If I face legal ramifications from saying this I don't care, do not send your children there.
Ashley

Ogden, UT

#224 Feb 24, 2010
I'm 24 now

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#225 Feb 24, 2010
Ashley wrote:
First things first. I lived at gibault from the age of 16 to 17 and that place is horrible. I have nightmares to this day about that place. Yeah there are psychologists ( I was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and yes they heavily dose the children there. I was placed on a medication called Remron while I was there, which is a anti-depressant medication. The medication side effect is heavily induced sleep after taking it. One night while I was there a male staff member was on the night shift I woke the next morning with my bra on backwards and one arm through my shirt the other arm was out with my p.j pants pulled down. I reported this to the state agent who comes in occasionally to speak with the residents and nothing was done. I lost 30 pounds while I was there and the nurse wrote that I weighed less when I first came into the area because she said that it would look bad on them if I had lost weight. I was restrained without reason. There policy is if you are a danger to yourself or others you would be restrained. Is sitting at a table refusing to go to your room a danger to yourself or others I think not. When I left half of my possesions magically disappeared. The school I was attending while there has many pictures of bruises and cuts caused by them without cause. A lawyer I talked to said I have grounds to sue, but I never did. After leaving they sent me a payment of 800.00 dollars to basically keep my mouth shut people need to know though. If I face legal ramifications from saying this I don't care, do not send your children there.
Ashley, thank you for coming forward. They say I have been lying on them. I am sorry that this happened to you there. I know exactly what you are saying . I have seen all this, what you are saying. I never saw a male staff sexually attack someone but there has been so much talk about this subject that everyone can't be wrong. I've seen kids have scrapes on their faces from being restrained. I've heard staff tell the kids that they did not deserve the air that they breath. yes they were mean to the kids. Ashley I hope you get over all the nightmares, When I left there I had nightmares for two years and I was an employee. I stayed because of my salary and I loved the kids there . I felt so sorry for the kids that I saw with carpet burns on their faces. Stay well and GoD Bless you.
Gibault staff

United States

#226 Mar 5, 2010
I AM a treatment worker at gibault. This place treats the kids like trash. They ARE drugged out of their minds. Three times a day. They hire any random Joe off the street who can pass their simple tests that they give u the answers too. Then they treat their staff like trash as well. Morale is terrible here. The only reason staff are staying here is to get unemployment when the place closes! This place does NOT care about your children. They are only money signs to them. I would never send my child here...

Location hidden

#227 Mar 6, 2010
Gibault staff wrote:
I AM a treatment worker at gibault. This place treats the kids like trash. They ARE drugged out of their minds. Three times a day. They hire any random Joe off the street who can pass their simple tests that they give u the answers too. Then they treat their staff like trash as well. Morale is terrible here. The only reason staff are staying here is to get unemployment when the place closes! This place does NOT care about your children. They are only money signs to them. I would never send my child here...
I know. Isn't it terrible!!
hello

Terre Haute, IN

#228 Mar 7, 2010
Gibault staff wrote:
But yet you still work there. Makes sense to me.

Location hidden

#229 Mar 7, 2010
hello wrote:
<quoted text>
But yet you still work there. Makes sense to me.
There are a lot of people who work at a place they can't stand. You don't just up and quit a job that you don't like the job. Not anymore. If you quit a job you better make sure you have another one to go to. Gibault pays better than min.wage.
hello

Terre Haute, IN

#230 Mar 8, 2010
Fairlite wrote:
<quoted text>There are a lot of people who work at a place they can't stand. You don't just up and quit a job that you don't like the job. Not anymore. If you quit a job you better make sure you have another one to go to. Gibault pays better than min.wage.
If he/she works there and feels like the staff treats the children bad, they are OBLIGATED to report it to their supervisor. If that doesn' work, go above. If the poster is so upset with the treatment of the children there, the he/she is just as guilty as the people who she claims are doing it. It's just pure NEGLIGENCE on the posters part to NOT report it. Desipte how he/she (as a staff member) is being treated like "crap", it's not about the poster. It's about the kids. Report it or leave. Simple enough.

Location hidden

#231 Mar 8, 2010
hello wrote:
<quoted text>
If he/she works there and feels like the staff treats the children bad, they are OBLIGATED to report it to their supervisor. If that doesn' work, go above. If the poster is so upset with the treatment of the children there, the he/she is just as guilty as the people who she claims are doing it. It's just pure NEGLIGENCE on the posters part to NOT report it. Desipte how he/she (as a staff member) is being treated like "crap", it's not about the poster. It's about the kids. Report it or leave. Simple enough.
Yep, and they would get fired for making waves. Thats usually how it works!
hello

Terre Haute, IN

#232 Mar 8, 2010
Fairlite wrote:
<quoted text> Yep, and they would get fired for making waves. Thats usually how it works!
It's a possibility. But when a complaint is made it is investigated,right? If it's substantiated, the person(s)in question could be terminated.
I just don't understand, why,a person who works with those children
daily and feels they are being treated badly or infairly doesn't report it. Sometimes waves is what is needed to bring the problem to the forefront.One shouldn't go to a public message board to complain about it if they work there and see it daily. The poster has a responsibilty and is obligated to report it. If he/she gets terminated, so be it. At least that poster stood up for the child(ren) instead of standing by and watching it happen.
Furthermore, if the poster doesn't come forward, they are already at risk if it does come out. Because their name will be brought into it when it's investigated due to them being there and not reporting.
It's still called neglect to stand by a watch a child(ren) to be mistreated. At least that poster would be able to sleep at
night and leave with a good conscience.

Location hidden

#233 Mar 8, 2010
hello wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a possibility. But when a complaint is made it is investigated,right? If it's substantiated, the person(s)in question could be terminated.
I just don't understand, why,a person who works with those children
daily and feels they are being treated badly or infairly doesn't report it. Sometimes waves is what is needed to bring the problem to the forefront.One shouldn't go to a public message board to complain about it if they work there and see it daily. The poster has a responsibilty and is obligated to report it. If he/she gets terminated, so be it. At least that poster stood up for the child(ren) instead of standing by and watching it happen.
Furthermore, if the poster doesn't come forward, they are already at risk if it does come out. Because their name will be brought into it when it's investigated due to them being there and not reporting.
It's still called neglect to stand by a watch a child(ren) to be mistreated. At least that poster would be able to sleep at
night and leave with a good conscience.
I seriously think the higher ups know what is going on out there and they don't want to hear anything. Most of all they don't want anything to get out. How do you follow the chain of command if it is your super who is doing the wrong. They preach chain of command!!!
hello

Terre Haute, IN

#234 Mar 9, 2010
Fairlite wrote:
<quoted text>I seriously think the higher ups know what is going on out there and they don't want to hear anything. Most of all they don't want anything to get out. How do you follow the chain of command if it is your super who is doing the wrong. They preach chain of command!!!
I think you are mistaken. Doesn't matter which way you go about it, if a child is being neglected or emotionally abused, it is the staff members obligation to report it or they are just as guilty and the person who is doing it. There are procuedures to follow which is why they implore the use of chain of command. Higher ups don't work with the kids day in and day out so they depend on the the members to report abusive behavior.
Gibault staff

San Mateo, CA

#235 Mar 14, 2010
Did I say they were abused? No. Just treated like rodents. I could report my happy feet off there. Wouldn't make a difference. Just cost me my job. Then my kids at home would suffer. U know how it is here. Kids are nothing more than $. Hiring is a joke. U say they are highly trained... No. There are few people here who actually care anymore. I love these kids and do make waves everyday I go into work. So don't preach to me about neglect or making waves. When this place closes down in a couple months it won't matter anymore. U do not work with the kids. I can tell. I am a single mother who treats these kids as my own.

Location hidden

#236 Mar 14, 2010
Gibault staff wrote:
Did I say they were abused? No. Just treated like rodents. I could report my happy feet off there. Wouldn't make a difference. Just cost me my job. Then my kids at home would suffer. U know how it is here. Kids are nothing more than $. Hiring is a joke. U say they are highly trained... No. There are few people here who actually care anymore. I love these kids and do make waves everyday I go into work. So don't preach to me about neglect or making waves. When this place closes down in a couple months it won't matter anymore. U do not work with the kids. I can tell. I am a single mother who treats these kids as my own.
If anyone cares to go way back to the beginning of this thread, this is almost exactly what I said about Gibault. This Young mother is telling the truth.$$$$$$$$ that is what that place is all about and Big Salarys for Sinclair and Madley! They only show the best kids when the board comes. they Don't want any of the kids to say to the board members things like "Why is the only time we get to eat like this is when you are here, this is when the good stuff comes out?" DOLLARS,is what it is!!
hello

Terre Haute, IN

#237 Mar 15, 2010
Gibault staff wrote:
The thing is, they are not your own. They already have been traumatized in one way or another. Standing by and watching them be traumatized or emotionally abused again, either by verbal or just treatment in general, is continuing their victimization. Neglect by non reporting. Are you sure you can't honestly speak to your supervisor about the way you feel to get the ball rolling? My other question is if you are so unhappy with the situation there and expect the place to close in a few months, why stay? I understand you are a single mom but many others are too and choose not to work in positions with children. It's just not Gibault. It's anywhere with children in the system. Their needs don't get met to what they deserve and need.
summer

League City, TX

#238 Mar 16, 2010
Last time I checked which has been ten years going now the board eats with all the kids when they visit so showing them only the good ones, I am confused. Also pretty sure the menu for the last ten years has not been adjusted when they come. It is posted one month in advance and does not change unless kitchen staff change it and then they are required to send a message out that states the meal has been changed. Just like in nursing homes and public schools. Come on fairlite you should know that you worked in the kitchen

Location hidden

#239 Mar 16, 2010
summer wrote:
Last time I checked which has been ten years going now the board eats with all the kids when they visit so showing them only the good ones, I am confused. Also pretty sure the menu for the last ten years has not been adjusted when they come. It is posted one month in advance and does not change unless kitchen staff change it and then they are required to send a message out that states the meal has been changed. Just like in nursing homes and public schools. Come on fairlite you should know that you worked in the kitchen
You must have me confused with someone else. You don't know who I am, I sure never worked in the kitchen!!
Gibault staff

New York, NY

#240 Mar 28, 2010
summer wrote:
actually they do try and put on a show. They food they serve now is even worse than ever. The kids actually complain about how terrible it is and a lot don't even eat most of the time. Of course they are kids and will complain but trust me nits bad no staff eat anymore. It isnobvious that they aretrying to save a buck anyway they can. When board comes they do cook good meals and act like they do all the time. And they stress about how clean everything needs to look ntheymake the kids go around the whole campus cleaning everyhing. And staff too. When state or the board doesn't show up they could care less. This place is a joke in so many ways. I doubt I have enough room in this forum to post it all. I would never send my kid here. And feel and for the kids who are. Most don't even need to be here anymore. They just need to make money any way they can n
hello

Terre Haute, IN

#241 Mar 28, 2010
Gibault staff wrote:
<quoted text>
actually they do try and put on a show. They food they serve now is even worse than ever. The kids actually complain about how terrible it is and a lot don't even eat most of the time. Of course they are kids and will complain but trust me nits bad no staff eat anymore. It isnobvious that they aretrying to save a buck anyway they can. When board comes they do cook good meals and act like they do all the time. And they stress about how clean everything needs to look ntheymake the kids go around the whole campus cleaning everyhing. And staff too. When state or the board doesn't show up they could care less. This place is a joke in so many ways. I doubt I have enough room in this forum to post it all. I would never send my kid here. And feel and for the kids who are. Most don't even need to be here anymore. They just need to make money any way they can n
Amazing. You are downgrading your place of employment without realizing you ARE part of that organization. I'm sure you do as your supervisor(s)ask you to do. Makes you just as bad as the facility you work at. If you hate it so much quit already! Honestly, you can't be that good of an employee if you hate your job so much.

Location hidden

#242 Mar 28, 2010
Gibault staff wrote:
<quoted text>
Things should get better now as soon as they get some cooks in there that know how to cook. Ole Pam has gotten herself fired because she could not stay within the budget she was given. You go "CASE"! You should have had the kitchen. They should have never hired Pam!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terre Haute Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Whos all had sex with melissa haskins husband t... 56 min TH Resident 2
Dedicate A Song 2 hr Omg 23
Terre Haute North Baseball Coach 2 hr do it 26
Ghost Stories 2 hr YourSurprise-39 8
Tamera Jo Abel Clark 2 hr wondering 1
What is Majestic Bath on South 3rd? (Feb '10) 3 hr truth 69
Who has not had sex with dre batten?? 3 hr Matt M 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Terre Haute Mortgages