Stolen credit card used in a local Wal-Mart shopping spree

Full story: WTHI Terre Haute

A pair of criminals wanted after using a stolen credit card to fund a shopping spree.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Brooke

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2008

I was just telling somebody the other day that I'm going to laugh my arse of when Wal-Mart gets sued for something like this. I use to work there and disagree with their identity policy altogether. The only time they ask to see your id (with a check) is when you write or cash one for the first time. Thereafter they are not required to ask for it. They never check the signatures on credit cards unless the system tells them to. Sure the lady should have watched her purse better but if Wal-Mart cared more for their customers they would take the time to protect their accounts and this wouldn't happen as easily.
LEE

Pickerington, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2008

I think I knew who it is but I cant tell.
Civisi

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2008

If WTHI could post a bigger picture of the suspects, it might help. Being that it was stolen in Clay County, there's a good chance that the thieves live in Clay County. Clay Co isn't that big, and considering I worked at Kroger for 5 years, I got to know a lot of faces and a lot of names...

Bigger photos, please.
Not Surprised

Coal City, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2008

I agree it is so easy to have you card stolen and used. It happened to my wife awhile back. She had purchased gas at a Wal-mart that had a filling station-small inventory convenience store. After paying inside, she dropped her card from her pocket on the drive. A good Samaritan picked it up and turned gave it to the clerk. All was on tape. The clerk made a phone call, her sister came in with her girlfriend, took the card for multiple fill ups all on tape and a fast tour around Wal-mart and other local stores. We now write across our cards, "Check ID. I always thank you when they ask.
Not Surprised

Coal City, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2008

Oops, I hate when I do that. "Your" not "you" and "say thank you". But again, I'm Not Suprised. I do that all the time. And I proof read, go figure.
the unsuspected stranger

Punxsutawney, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2008

thats even sadder when shes holdin the baby as they do it! omg! how dumb can Wal-Mart get these days? i mean come on!! its pretty sad when ya snatch a persons purse and take the credit card and buy diapers and a flat screen tv knowin they are gonna get caught sum time and that bad and sad thing is the baby is put in the middle of all this i feel bad for the baby:(
the unsuspected stranger

Punxsutawney, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2008

the sorry my bad a bit sleepy tonite lol
williejr

Marshall, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2008

I'm not a big Walmart fan. However, just how many places do you present your credit card that they ask for another ID? I use mine at the outside gas deal at times and it takes my card with no special wants of another ID or even pin number. I shop Kroger, Menard's, Sears, K-Mart and many other establishments and none have ever ask for other ID.
Civisi

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

I purposely left my signature off my card to see how long it would take for someone to ask. After 4 months of near-daily use, only OfficeMax asked to see my ID.

I have since signed it, and I also wrote ASK FOR ID on it.

In regards to my comments about larger pictures, it appears that three suspects have been caught. Good job by all involved police departments.
Former

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

I worked at Walmart, for a few years, the only time I asked for ID was if they wrote check ID on the back of the card, or if there was no signature, and even then customers would look at me strange ,they would tell me, no body ever asks even with "check id" on the back.
I shop very few place that ask for id when using a CC.
Freddy

Terre Haute, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

I've always been curious why people sign the back of their credit cards. If someone where to steal your card, they would then have your signature to learn to forge. I never sign mine.
Shawn Connery

Pickerington, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2008

I dont have a credit card and I never will. Having a credit card is so damn stupid. The companies charge you interest so you end up paying more for the item.
williejr

Marshall, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2008

Well Shawn, you don't know how to properly use a credit card. I have 2 credit cards and I pay them off each month. Come the end of the year both send me a nice check for 5% of the purchases that I have made on them. I charge everything that I can each and every month and pay then pay the balance off. Both cards carry a very low interest rate anyhow as I have a "Excellent" credit rating through all three reporting agencies.
Van Cottom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

On the back of my credit & debit cards instead of a signature it says "CHECK MY ID." ONLY one store in Terre Haute reliably does check my ID. That is Rural King on East Wabash.
Freddy

Terre Haute, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

I do the same as "williejr". I charge everything I possibly can to my American Express Platinum card. I get frequent flyer miles, other reward points, one free companion airline ticket each year, travel services, concierge services, no annual fee, etc... I pay off the balance each month so the interest rate is not even an issue. I end up with probably a half dozen free airline tickets each year in return.
Shame on WillieJr

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Well WillieJr do you feel better now that you shared that wonderful information about yourself? Who gives a rip about your 2 credit cards,your 5%, and your "Excellent" rating. It is not like you are someone special. A lot of people do the same thing. Some people do not like credit cards, that's their business. You must be hard up for cash if you take the time to go through the hassle. Repair business not going good enough for you? Repairs, that's what you do right? For someone who works for others you have a crappy personality.
Jimmy

Terre Haute, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

true, it seems south wal mart is slipping, East is great its clean, its friendly, fast, fun, and brighter too. the people there seem to like and pay attention to what they do.
Rev Billy Bob

League City, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Will there be a new Wal Mart on the fair grounds or maybe a Target. I understand if their is a new Wal Mart Menards are interest in their building
in thought

Terre Haute, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Two wal marts are enough im sure even wal mart can a gree, maybe a Target, give competition to Wally world, and other restaurants is my guess. Though with no solid plan of attack i doubt stores want to express intrest until ground is broken.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

37 Users are viewing the Terre Haute Forum right now

Search the Terre Haute Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
kristi vaughn 48 min CHRIS JORDAN 14
Terre Haute Sucks: Give 1 Reason 1 hr Mercy666 227
gay people will burn in hell (May '13) 3 hr my morning coffee 257
Travis Kraemer (Oct '13) 3 hr Steven 44
WW vs. OC 3 hr teacher 10
What is the best pool company in Terre Haute 3 hr dillion 2
Wrights Pool Service Sucks (May '12) 4 hr dillion 68
New Kroger opening 13 hr Wolf Blitzer 9
gambling ring 18 hr Deke 204