Car torn up by road construction

There are 37 comments on the WTHI Terre Haute story from Sep 9, 2008, titled Car torn up by road construction. In it, WTHI Terre Haute reports that:

Driving in a construction zone could cost you thousands of dollars in damages, that's what Brian Brownson claims.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTHI Terre Haute.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lori Manley

Altoona, PA

#1 Sep 10, 2008
Driving US 41 on Monday morning at 7:00 A.M. I hit something and had no clue what it was. Come to find out it was a huge raise in the pavement. I am now driving on a donut tire because my rim was completely cracked and tire destroyed. I have had to order a new one out of KY. INDOT should be responsible for the cost of my rim and tire. There were no signs or warnings.
Renee Crane

Mason, OH

#2 Sep 10, 2008
I was driving on US 41 north Monday morning about 6:40 a.m. and where the road construction ends at Honey Creek Bridge, the gap between the old road and construction was enough to damage my front driver's side tire. The rim was bent and my tire deflated because the seal obviously broke. My left rear wheel is damaged also. As a result, almost $500 damage! I had someone come pick me up and we went to check out the road. There was a sharp difference between the old pavement and the grated-out construction section which is what caused the damage. About 6 p.m. that evening, my husband and I went to look at the road and INDOT had put asphalt down to make more of a 'ramp' between the pavement sections. So that tells me that they knew this was a problem for motorists. And since they knew it was a problem, they should be responsible for damage this section of road caused motorists.
cch691971

United States

#3 Sep 10, 2008
I'm not trying to be rude or condescending, so pleae don't take it that way. But from what I have seen and heard from others' experience in the past I would almost be willing to bet that INDOT would try to argue that it was not their fault that the driver should be more aware of the road since there was obvious road construction going on. That is most likely going to be their argument to get out of the responsibility of having to pay for any damages to anyone's vehicle. Again, I am not trying to be rude or anything here. It always seems that no one can get them to own up to their responsibility though and that they will always have an exuse. Best of luck to you though, just be prepared for that one.
hello

Martinsville, IN

#4 Sep 10, 2008
here is an idea. SLOW DOWN in construction areas.
benji

San Francisco, CA

#5 Sep 10, 2008
That is a good idea people, slow down. When they have construction signs that construction is taking place you should be aware of everything in, on or around the roadway. Drivers need to be more responsbile when these factors are in play.
Lisa

United States

#6 Sep 10, 2008
I agree. you need to pay better attention to your surroundings. If it is as obvious as you are acting like & you knew there was constructions going on.... why didnt you notice it before hand? Take responsibility for your own actions.
dilly

Patton, PA

#7 Sep 10, 2008
Ok, I drive that road everyday too, and WE ARE ALL AWARE OF THE CONSTRUCTION GOING ON AND WE ARE AWARE OF OUR SURROUNDINGS!!! There is always a big drop off from where the re-paving ends and the chipped off stretch of road begins. No matter how slow you go IT IS STILL A BIG DROP OFF. The hood of our truck also has lots of chipped paint where the rocks have hit it.
Mike

Terre Haute, IN

#8 Sep 10, 2008
What every happened to one being in control of their vehicle at all times. If it looks rough, slow down.
Ah Hello

Sheridan, IN

#9 Sep 10, 2008
Stay off the cell phone, quite putting on your make-up, reading the paper, texting, shaving, eating breakfast, waking off, whatever it is you all doing and pay attention to the d$%# road. Take a little personal responsibility and stop blaming everyone but your self. This in no different then RR crossings.... SLLLooooWWWW DDDDooooWWWnnnn....

R U going to sue the bird that S*#$ on your windshield?????
FATBOY DAN

Altoona, PA

#10 Sep 10, 2008
hello wrote:
here is an idea. SLOW DOWN in construction areas.
GOOD ONE TRU, TRU ,Slow down. A rim has to be hit hard for it to get a ding like what i saw on the news And the news said theres $4,000 damages??? i did not see 28 rims on the car??
Ah Hello

Sheridan, IN

#11 Sep 10, 2008
I would supposed you are the same group who are out protesting gas prices... Yeah, they are high and driving too fast doesn't help you out any...
A Sullivan County Driver

Mason, OH

#12 Sep 10, 2008
dilly wrote:
Ok, I drive that road everyday too, and WE ARE ALL AWARE OF THE CONSTRUCTION GOING ON AND WE ARE AWARE OF OUR SURROUNDINGS!!! There is always a big drop off from where the re-paving ends and the chipped off stretch of road begins. No matter how slow you go IT IS STILL A BIG DROP OFF. The hood of our truck also has lots of chipped paint where the rocks have hit it.
Thank you!!! The drop off at the location where these damages occurred was extra bad that morning, I know, I drove through it and noticed how bad it was.
something to talk about

Pryor, OK

#13 Sep 10, 2008
My husband goes to work early in the AM, he was on a motorcycle and could not/did not see the drop off and about lost the bike!
dilly

Patton, PA

#14 Sep 10, 2008
Let me guess, all of you people who are saying we need to slow down, pay attention, etc. do travel on 41 south everyday, RIGHT? You have no clue.
Ah Hello

Sheridan, IN

#15 Sep 11, 2008
dilly wrote:
Let me guess, all of you people who are saying we need to slow down, pay attention, etc. do travel on 41 south everyday, RIGHT? You have no clue.
Yep, sure do. Don't have a bit a problem with the construction. In fact I am more then willing to put up with this very minor inconvenience knowing new and good roads lie ahead... Slow down...
The Real Rambo

Terre Haute, IN

#16 Sep 11, 2008
I DID slow down at Honey Creek bridge last week, and still about chipped a tooth. That approximately 8 inch dropoff was completely inexcusable. An asphalt ramp should have been installed to avoid all the damages. Slow down my AZZ, that was ridiculous.
rev billy bob

Sun Prairie, WI

#17 Sep 11, 2008
The Real Rambo wrote:
I DID slow down at Honey Creek bridge last week, and still about chipped a tooth. That approximately 8 inch dropoff was completely inexcusable. An asphalt ramp should have been installed to avoid all the damages. Slow down my ****, that was ridiculous.
What did you do,slow down from 65mph to 60mph If you where going around 25mph its not bad.Slow slow down down down you are just stuoid.
Speak Up

Chicago, IL

#18 Sep 11, 2008
I do not drive on 41 South very often and I had was only doing about 40mph when I hit that bump! Let me tell you, it really ticked me off! I think the construction crew is responible for the road being left like that! They should have routed drivers around it until they got it fixed or put up a sign warning drivers.
Keri

Terre Haute, IN

#19 Sep 11, 2008
Good luck getting anyone to pay for your damage. Last March I hit a pot hole on 41 S and filled out the TORT claim and the whole bit just to get a response that "since the highway department didn't know about the pothole, they are not responsible for any damages". So apparently I should have called ahead and reported the hole before I smacked it causing $350 in damage to my car. Unbelievable.
Renee

Mason, OH

#20 Sep 11, 2008
Keri wrote:
Good luck getting anyone to pay for your damage. Last March I hit a pot hole on 41 S and filled out the TORT claim and the whole bit just to get a response that "since the highway department didn't know about the pothole, they are not responsible for any damages". So apparently I should have called ahead and reported the hole before I smacked it causing $350 in damage to my car. Unbelievable.
Well I am hoping that since an INDOT representative said on Channel 10 News the following:'There was a wedge area that had apparently failed and it did cause the drop off to be a little bit more significant but it has been fixed," Debbie Calder of INDOT said, that the state will be more willing to compensate for damages.
All I can do is file the tort claim and see what happens.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terre Haute Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prudential Newlin Johnson is horrible!! (Aug '14) 12 min Truth Hurts 14
44 Magnum 13 min youre an idiot 10
Union Hospital (Jul '14) 14 min Bed Bug 1,037
Adriene Higgins 1 hr HAHAHA 28
sean webb 1 hr Heaven 7
CosmoProf Store: Truth Benind The Store Manager... 2 hr sweetdaria1 7
News Unlikely ally in war against deniers: The Nazis 3 hr Adolf 10
What would you do if your child told you a teac... 11 hr LilyoftheValley 78
Vigo County School Corporation Victims 23 hr Bogus 21
Terre Haute North Mon Truth 16