Larry and Nikki Russell abuse children
Dr Phil Goode

Terre Haute, IN

#104 Nov 29, 2012
The Comedian wrote:
<quoted text>
10 kids per day x a ten minute check per kid =1 hour and forty minutes a day visiting. Then figure, with luck, 15 minutes to travel from the office to the first visit, 15 minutes to go from home to home and another fifteen minutes to get back to the office. That is 2 hours and forty five minutes travel time and a grand total of 4 hours and 25 minutes to visit those ten kids.
To make the visits unannounced means that there is no guarantee that anyone will be home at each house so more time will be needed for missed missed visits.
Looks like the state recommendation is 8-12 kids in foster care per caseworker, at least according to this:
http://www.in.gov/dcs/files/rulesprovidermanu...
So that would put an average cost on inspection at a little over an extra half a day's work per month per caseworker.
It would work, it sounds like you're making excuses for not wanting to check on the kids. Cut the number of kids on list to 5-8 and use more than one person checking. CPS failed miserably in this case. Can anyone say lawsuit?
Disturbed

Terre Haute, IN

#105 Nov 29, 2012
Larry has ex caped trouble for a long time. He owned Russel's garage that burn't down a few years back killing a man that served our community for many years. Two men are doing a lot if time for it and Larry walked with no charges. I would say the system had failed these children, because they both have a long lived criminal history.
IndyJo

Terre Haute, IN

#106 Nov 30, 2012
She chose a partner that was violent, causing the kids to be removed. Who knows why? Maybe she came from an abusive home. Who knows? Most victims have been one before,or watched someone else be victimised. It is generational.
When kids become CHINS, CPS usually opens the case and it runs on and on for 12mo.- 15 mo. They require many things for the children to be returned. Sometimes people can't comply for many reasons. Usually they are financial, mental illness related, physical illness related, or chemical addiction related reasons, if their heart and intention is otherwise in the right place.
During that time, a CASA is suppose to be appointed, but most are not given a lot of cases at a time. There are not that many. Home visits and interviews are not always enough to identify abusive people. They know how to act, what to say. They don't wear horns.
Once the children are not CHINS, all checks stop. I agree, someone didn't go the extra mile, or was very inexperienced.I'd like to know the stature of the 27 yr old. At 95 lbs. the school should of been concerned, UNLESS, he is a very small build anyway.
hawk wrote:
<quoted text>
i will never have to walk a mile in her shoes because I CHOOSE TO NOT DO THINGS THAT PUT MYSELF IN THAT SITUATION. please believe, everyone gets a chance to go do the wrong path. you also get a chance to go down the right path or correct the path before it gets that bad. its not like she just woke up one day and the state said, gee christine, you should give your kids up for adoption. its all the rave these days....

“Licensed Fool”

Since: May 12

Not laughing with you...

#108 Nov 30, 2012
IndyJo wrote:
Trouble is, there are in reality FAR more mor than 12 cases per caseworker, due to drug related situations.<quoted text>
You are not the only one who lacks basic reading comprehension skills. The report said 8-12 kids in foster care per caseworker, not total case load per caseworker.

Here is a link to the Indiana Senate Democrats report on recommended changes to DCS:

http://insendems.wordpress.com/2012/11/29/dcs...
Dbltrbl

Reelsville, IN

#109 Nov 30, 2012
terribletowel wrote:
the case loads are enormous. if you have never worked for DCS or law enforcement, you have no clue how hard they work. unless you know for a fact, dont even think about busting DCS's balls. they have the most thankless, dangerous and saddest jobs. they go by policy. they care about kids and families, and they cant catch all the perps. if they cant find evidence and the kids wont talk, then you get no where fast. beleive me, the case workers probably put more heart and soul into their job than 99% of the people who try to pick them apart.
and yes, you have to meet certain standards and have to meet with a caseworker on a regular basis, but bad people are good at hiding all the terrible things they do. and its not hard to clean up a house and pretend to care about kids for an hourly appointment. these case managers are not freakin miracle workers. i applaud them. and then it doesnt help that you have half the TH population doing meth and taking up most of the darn case load.
Do you really believe this? DCS is the party that removes these children from their bio families and places them in these homes. There had to be red flags, etc prior to all of this taking place. Masybe DCS should stop warning people in advance that they are going to make a home visit. If they would have just shown up at the home and demanded to see the children and the house, chances are none of this would have taken place and these children wouldnt be scared for life.
Dbltrbl

Reelsville, IN

#110 Nov 30, 2012
booker wrote:
<quoted text>
i am going to judge...if you really are these kid's mother. good lord you stupid idiot, if you are a mother and keep having kids, then you need to get your poop in a group and be a mother. oops, sorry im a little late on that obvious statement. what the heck were you doing to even get into this situation? i dont care if i sound like a jerk but if you are ok with just seeing your kids for visits then you really are a sack of crap. if i couldnt see my family unless someone said so, i would lose my damn mind. maybe i already have after responding to your post....by the way, when you sign that little paper called a TPR, THAT MEANS YOU ARE TERMINATING YOU PARENTAL RIGHTS. helllllloooo why would CPS tell you anything, you are nothing to those kids at this point.
You are kidding me right?? You are actually talking this way to the mother of these poor children instead of putting the blame where it goes?? Did you not read your statment? She stated, things were tough and she thought she was doing the right thing for her children aand Im sure she never considred that her children would be placed in this situation. DCS took these kids out of the frying pan and threw them into the fire!! I dont know the mother and dont know her situation, however, it is possible that the children were removed due to the parents being on drugs, if this is the case, which is the worse of 2 evils? Allowing them to stay in the home of their drug addicted parents or putting them in life dangering situations? Their are alot of drug addicted parents in Vigo county that still have custody of their children. For you to judge this mother when she thought she was doing the best thing for her children is rediculus!! These caseworkers signed up for this job, with 2 kids or 100, this is what they signed up to do and every child's safety should be first.
Dbltrbl

Reelsville, IN

#111 Nov 30, 2012
hawk wrote:
<quoted text>
i will never have to walk a mile in her shoes because I CHOOSE TO NOT DO THINGS THAT PUT MYSELF IN THAT SITUATION. please believe, everyone gets a chance to go do the wrong path. you also get a chance to go down the right path or correct the path before it gets that bad. its not like she just woke up one day and the state said, gee christine, you should give your kids up for adoption. its all the rave these days....
Hey Hawk -
Never say never because you never know how quick things can change. You may never find yourself in this situation but one of your children may!! If it ever happens, I hope you remember all of these negative comments you have made on this post!!
Dbltrbl

Reelsville, IN

#112 Nov 30, 2012
yep wrote:
<quoted text>
Post a link please. In everything I've read nothing about neighbors have been mentioned. However, did you read that this man was arrested in May for domestic violence and that the charges are still pending? Also, 2 of the children were said to have been present when the abuse happened, which included the use of a gun. It's in today's Tribune Star. Now tell me, who is more responsible here for the children being in this situation, the neighbors or law enforcement? Kudos on turning in the suspected abuse. I have, to date, turned in sexual and physical abuse and neglect on 10 children. Guess what? Nothing was done. CPS and the legal system stopped any attempt to help them in it's tracks. There was and is solid proof. One family with 5 foster kids was turned in by a law enforcement officer. They laughed at him, citing that they were a wonderful family. The state government will not help either. This is why people won't get involved!!!!!
Totally agree and incase people dont know it, you are REQUIRED by law to report any suspected neglect and/or child abuse and if you dont and the law finds out that you knew about it, you can be held responsible!
Dbltrbl

Reelsville, IN

#113 Nov 30, 2012
Disturbed wrote:
Larry has ex caped trouble for a long time. He owned Russel's garage that burn't down a few years back killing a man that served our community for many years. Two men are doing a lot if time for it and Larry walked with no charges. I would say the system had failed these children, because they both have a long lived criminal history.
This concerns me, if they both have criminal histories, why on earth were they foster parents to begin with?? Shouldnt this have been a red flag?
We take them out of an abusive home with mom's boyfriend and put them into a life or death situation with the Russell's! Maybe they should re-investigate the fire that happened at his garage and check with the men that are currently doing time for this crime. Something is not right here!
hawk

Terre Haute, IN

#114 Nov 30, 2012
IndyJo wrote:
She chose a partner that was violent, causing the kids to be removed. Who knows why? Maybe she came from an abusive home. Who knows? Most victims have been one before,or watched someone else be victimised. It is generational.
When kids become CHINS, CPS usually opens the case and it runs on and on for 12mo.- 15 mo. They require many things for the children to be returned. Sometimes people can't comply for many reasons. Usually they are financial, mental illness related, physical illness related, or chemical addiction related reasons, if their heart and intention is otherwise in the right place.
During that time, a CASA is suppose to be appointed, but most are not given a lot of cases at a time. There are not that many. Home visits and interviews are not always enough to identify abusive people. They know how to act, what to say. They don't wear horns.
Once the children are not CHINS, all checks stop. I agree, someone didn't go the extra mile, or was very inexperienced.I'd like to know the stature of the 27 yr old. At 95 lbs. the school should of been concerned, UNLESS, he is a very small build anyway. <quoted text>
you are right on those points and facts. however,the parent has to choose what kind of life they are going to lead. its called breaking the cycle for your children.
hawk

Terre Haute, IN

#115 Nov 30, 2012
Dbltrbl wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Hawk -
Never say never because you never know how quick things can change. You may never find yourself in this situation but one of your children may!! If it ever happens, I hope you remember all of these negative comments you have made on this post!!
thank you for the insight. i know how it works. by the time my kids are old enough to make those kind of shitty choices that these people made, i will be worm food. by the way, i would not comment on something if i dont know what i was talking about.
hawk

Terre Haute, IN

#116 Nov 30, 2012
Dbltrbl wrote:
<quoted text>
You are kidding me right?? You are actually talking this way to the mother of these poor children instead of putting the blame where it goes?? Did you not read your statment? She stated, things were tough and she thought she was doing the right thing for her children aand Im sure she never considred that her children would be placed in this situation. DCS took these kids out of the frying pan and threw them into the fire!! I dont know the mother and dont know her situation, however, it is possible that the children were removed due to the parents being on drugs, if this is the case, which is the worse of 2 evils? Allowing them to stay in the home of their drug addicted parents or putting them in life dangering situations? Their are alot of drug addicted parents in Vigo county that still have custody of their children. For you to judge this mother when she thought she was doing the best thing for her children is rediculus!! These caseworkers signed up for this job, with 2 kids or 100, this is what they signed up to do and every child's safety should be first.
screw her dude, she is a piece of crap. and the drug addicted parents who still have custody need to get their priorities straight. its not about losing your kids, its about their future. whe you drop the ball as a parent, then you are setting the kids up for failure. and this ho is making excuses for her non-existent parenting skills.
booker

Terre Haute, IN

#117 Nov 30, 2012
hawk wrote:
<quoted text>
thank you for the insight. i know how it works. by the time my kids are old enough to make those kind of shitty choices that these people made, i will be worm food. by the way, i would not comment on something if i dont know what i was talking about.
so i guess you dont like corn much.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#118 Nov 30, 2012
Dbltrbl wrote:
<quoted text>
People would have a little more empathy for the "bio mom" if she would own up and take responsibility. It's not the state's fault that her kids were taken away, it's not the state's fault that she couldn't get them back, and it's certainly not that state's doing that these kids were adopted!!! If she owned up to being a failure as a mother and a failure to these kids, instead of blaming everyone else, then MAYBE we would have some sympathy.

And yes, sometimes people go through rough times, and maybe at the time she thought it was in the kids' best interest to put them in foster care (temporarily would have been ideal), but as a parent and someone who SHOULD be putting their children above EVERYTHING else, you work your a** off and do what you gotta do to get your sh*t straight and take care of your responsibilities! Trust me, I'm a single mom, I don't get support from the father and I have done everything in my power to provide the way a parent should! I know it can be done!

She signed her kids over! She now has no more rights to those children than anyone else!!! So sorry, you wanna step up and be a parent NOW! It's too late for that! I just hope the next place for these children is to finally have the loving, nurturing home they deserve. And I hope the Russells get what should be coming to them! Their day WILL come eventually!
worried

Terre Haute, IN

#119 Nov 30, 2012
let's face it. The mother of these children should have had access to plaNNED PARENTHOOD AND legal abortion. So much misery would have been prevented for all concerned.

But, unfortunately, the welfare system rewards women who have children out of wedlock. They get energy assistance, food stamps, wicca, lord knows what else.

Then the poor children pay the price and turn around and repeat the process because they know of no other way to survive.

On the other hand, there is nothing new about child abuse. We must report it if we suspect it is going on. Don't worry about getting involved and making a mistake. It's worth it to save a child. Someone (or many) suspected these children were being abused and did not want to get involved or report it.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#120 Dec 1, 2012
worried wrote:
let's face it. The mother of these children should have had access to plaNNED PARENTHOOD AND legal abortion. So much misery would have been prevented for all concerned.
But, unfortunately, the welfare system rewards women who have children out of wedlock. They get energy assistance, food stamps, wicca, lord knows what else.
Then the poor children pay the price and turn around and repeat the process because they know of no other way to survive.
On the other hand, there is nothing new about child abuse. We must report it if we suspect it is going on. Don't worry about getting involved and making a mistake. It's worth it to save a child. Someone (or many) suspected these children were being abused and did not want to get involved or report it.
You are absolutely right. It is our responsibility as adults to protect children....children who can't protect themselves.

But, as a single (unwed) mother, it happens and people make mistakes. Thos programs were put into place to help families get on their feet and that is it! They are not there for people to tak advantage of and live on. Sadly, they are taken advantage of.

Although I do not really believe in abortion, it's unfortunate that of all the people out there that want so badly to have children and can't, and would be excellent parents, these kids had to end up with these low lifes.

Since: Dec 12

Terre Haute, IN

#121 Dec 1, 2012
Papaw wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you explain a 95lb 17 year old to CPS?
The same way you explain a 200 lb. 6th grader. Eating disorder. There are plenty of teenagers battling eating disorders, whether they are bulemic or food addicts. As "Terrible Towel" stated, these abusers can cover anything. Do I think that the system is broken? Yes. Is everything involving a case the case worker's fault? Absolutely not. This goes beyond case workers, but too many people living in their small bubbles can't understand how big this really is. Rules and regulations abound. Our society as a whole has no one to blame for these atrocities but themelves.

Terre Haute, IN

#122 Dec 1, 2012
Looks like some people need to know the proper use of "there, their, and they're"....

Terre Haute, IN

#123 Dec 1, 2012
Good Gawd. The bottom line is this. People need to stop placing the blame on everyone else. The Russell's are evil people. Period. Yeah, we could go back to the biological mom and place blame, but what the hell is the point? She didn't prevent the birth of her
child(ren), true. But what good does it really do to go back to her giving up her parental rights? Moot point. There are definitely issues with CPS, that cannot be denied. Just as in any line of work, there are great people and really bad people working in all environment. However, the SYSTEM as a whole is broken and makes it difficult for even the best caseworker to get the desired results, which is to protect children. People are duped every single day, and the Russells are a prime example of what can happen when cons do what they do best. Lie and cheat a system that is meant for children's safety in order to benefit, themselves.
bigone

Terre Haute, IN

#124 Dec 1, 2012
spanx25 wrote:
Looks like some people need to know the proper use of "there, their, and they're"....
can i smuggle some plums to your house?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terre Haute Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rondrell 1 hr Amy Taylor 19
Deena Hancock West 3 hr Deena 18
hot mixed chick at north arbys 4 hr dingle 1
Snitch 5 hr Not who you think 5
john noble 5 hr chris 1
Deanna Overton Griffin 6 hr Truth 2
Marine Corp League Mgr (Mar '15) 6 hr Paul 26
Feds at VCSC 6 hr Max Jones sucks 660
Why are teachers and principals afraid of Tanoos? 7 hr Public Education 32
Alan Morrison a public official bashing VCSC 11 hr 1776 63
Poll Should Danny Tanoos be replaced Vigo County Sch... (Aug '12) Thu TH Resident 95
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Terre Haute Mortgages