Should Todd Russell resign as president of Vigo Co. youth football?

Created by Youth football on Aug 12, 2010

228 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

not fair for the kids

United States

#41 Aug 19, 2010
This has all got way out of hand! Brenda is on a huge power trip and parents don't want to grow up. When did it become about brenda or the parents? It is all about the kids and that is it. I personally do not care for brenda but you know what I just keep my distance. Todd has now cancelled practice for the district which is not fair for the kids but than again it probably would not have been safe for them either. I don't seem to get where all of you parents coaches or anyone else come from. I didn't know any of you were GOD and could judge??? Maybe next time you wanna sit around on your computer and type away and bash everyone that is working their ass off for free to coach and help you kid you should get up and go look in the mirror and check out the person that by acting like a child is really hurtung their own kid the most. Just saying :)
For The Record

Newburgh, IN

#42 Aug 19, 2010
Listed below is the VYFL disqualification criteria dealing specifically with felony robbery and drug offenses:
"Individual volunteers found to be guilty of the following crimes will be disqualified as defined below:
Anyone found to be guilty within the past 10 years of a felony violence offense including robbery & burglary.
Anyone found to be guilty within the past 10 years of all felony drug dealing or possession offenses."
Jamoka Smith's conviction was 13 years ago. He qualifies under the current rules. Otha Scott's conviction was less than 10 years old, which means he did not qualify.
Right or wrong, the league is enforcing the current rules as written.
Bubba

Terre Haute, IN

#43 Aug 19, 2010
For The Record wrote:
Listed below is the VYFL disqualification criteria dealing specifically with felony robbery and drug offenses:
"Individual volunteers found to be guilty of the following crimes will be disqualified as defined below:
Anyone found to be guilty within the past 10 years of a felony violence offense including robbery & burglary.
Anyone found to be guilty within the past 10 years of all felony drug dealing or possession offenses."
Jamoka Smith's conviction was 13 years ago. He qualifies under the current rules. Otha Scott's conviction was less than 10 years old, which means he did not qualify.
Right or wrong, the league is enforcing the current rules as written.
I dont know when Otha Scott's was? but Mr. Smith clearly stated on here that he was released from prison a little over 5 years ago,and i'm sure he was PAROLED not released,since he was sentenced to like 14 or 15 years to be served in prison and only served half, the other half i'm sure is on paper with a judge, parole officer and/or probation officer. it's not as cut and dry as you seem to be trying to tell people on here it is...regardless how YOU or VCYFL want to put it, Mr. Smith was paroled from prison not that long ago, no where near 10 yrs! yes he was convicted in 1998, so he has said, but does that really make a difference when a person is still on parole or probation from that crime?! come on now, I know you like him and all, but bottom line is, they said no because it was my boy O.T. period! you no it, Jamoka knows it, and I no it! and i think everyone was under the impression that the rule is, "no kind of felony criminal involvement WHATSOEVER for ten years PERIOD!" meaning your criminal record is clear and clean for 10 yrs!(he has spent almost 8 of the last 13 yrs behind bars!) not that you can coach as long as you DID the crime 10 yrs ago, and it doesnt matter how long ago you were paroled from prison, as long as you robbed that store at gun point ATLEAST 10 years ago, your in! get the f*$*K out of here! u sound real dumb!
The Man with the Plan

Terre Haute, IN

#44 Aug 19, 2010
Seriously? Calling someone dumb? You misspelled every other word and used no capitalization. Your boy O.T. surely wouldn't appreciate you slandering another black man on here. Why don't you keep it real and keep your mouth shut. You're a real douche bag. You only know so much about the criminal system becasue YOU are a criminal. You probably know all of the ins and outs of government assistance too. Why don't you put your superb analytical skills to work and join the war on terror or something you useless sack of shit.
wham_bam

Punxsutawney, PA

#45 Aug 20, 2010
The Man with the Plan wrote:
Seriously? Calling someone dumb? You misspelled every other word and used no capitalization. Your boy O.T. surely wouldn't appreciate you slandering another black man on here. Why don't you keep it real and keep your mouth shut. You're a real douche bag. You only know so much about the criminal system becasue YOU are a criminal. You probably know all of the ins and outs of government assistance too. Why don't you put your superb analytical skills to work and join the war on terror or something you useless sack of shit.
Some one strike a nerve? Otha screw your wife too? You're on this forum, so you suck shit as well.
The Man with the Plan

Terre Haute, IN

#46 Aug 20, 2010
wham_bam wrote:
<quoted text>
Some one strike a nerve? Otha screw your wife too? You're on this forum, so you suck shit as well.
No but Otha and I hit your old lady on a regular basis.
question

United States

#47 Aug 20, 2010
As a white guy if there is a white coach that always breaks the rules and is a bad role model whites would get rid of him as a coach so why does the black community defend James Bell?????????Step up todd and get rid of his butt!!!
wham_bam

Punxsutawney, PA

#48 Aug 20, 2010
The Man with the Plan wrote:
<quoted text>
No but Otha and I hit your old lady on a regular basis.
Too bad I'm a woman. LOL....shit sucker
bigguy

Chicago, IL

#50 Aug 20, 2010
todd is probably a descent man, but his mistake is letting dads help him coach. for instence,they only allow so many 2nd. graders play, so how in the hell is 1st graders and a kindergardner play. it ought to be 4th graders should play over 3rd graders, 3rd graders over 2nd graders, and there shouldn't be anyonelse. no 1st graders and especially kindergardners.todd is probably doing the best he can with what hes got to work with and that aint saying much. we've got 2nd and 3rd graders that dont get to play because 1st graders and a kindergardner getting to play. it just aint right to the kids who couldn't play last year because they were not in 2nd. grade. and it aint fair to them now. im going to find out who i can talk to to get something done about this.
Pauline

Patton, PA

#51 Aug 20, 2010
Jamoka Smith wrote:
In april it would be 6yrs.no felony. Im letting everyone know this so that people will know that eventhough Im asshame of my past actions, Im doing my best to be a better man.So if Im a coach or not Im going to be a good person.four yrs. ago I ask Mr. Jim Lewis if I can be a coach and I gave him the whole story, he told me he would check with th e board. when he came back he told me to help out and we'll talk later. So at end of the year he told me to be an asistant coach. So, I did that for 2yrs. then they Grandfather voted me in
Mr. Smith, I just wanted to say that I think it's brave of you to announce on here your history. I've learned that some of the people that comment on these forums can be cruel. I just wanted to say that we have all made mistakes in the past. Many people change and grow and become good people. Even those who are not felons, we all have a history, we've all made mistakes and did things we may now regret, whether large or small. I know of many people who have learned from the things they did when they were younger. And as of the coaching, I have no opinion one way or the other, but I would like to say that I think it's commendable that you're reaching out to your community and trying to do better by yourself and those around you.
Good idea

Terre Haute, IN

#52 Aug 20, 2010
bigguy wrote:
todd is probably a descent man, but his mistake is letting dads help him coach. for instence,they only allow so many 2nd. graders play, so how in the hell is 1st graders and a kindergardner play. it ought to be 4th graders should play over 3rd graders, 3rd graders over 2nd graders, and there shouldn't be anyonelse. no 1st graders and especially kindergardners.todd is probably doing the best he can with what hes got to work with and that aint saying much. we've got 2nd and 3rd graders that dont get to play because 1st graders and a kindergardner getting to play. it just aint right to the kids who couldn't play last year because they were not in 2nd. grade. and it aint fair to them now. im going to find out who i can talk to to get something done about this.
If you honestly feel that a child in Kindergarten or 1st grade is stealing that much of the thunder... PLEASE take it to the President and quit talking on an internet forum... GROW UP!
bigguy

Chicago, IL

#53 Aug 20, 2010
Good idea wrote:
<quoted text>
If you honestly feel that a child in Kindergarten or 1st grade is stealing that much of the thunder... PLEASE take it to the President and quit talking on an internet forum... GROW UP!
No one said anything about stealing the thunder!!!! Its the fact that you got politics in a youth football team last time I checked it was a game for 3rd and 4th graders and some 2nd graders.. But its all the coaches sons or friends sons playin that are in kindergarden and first grade over second and third graders. This is about being fair no one made any exceptions last year for my son who was begging to play but couldnt because he was in first grade. So my son sat on the sidelines and watched his older brother play, so he could learn. So why is it different for a coaches son. My son is a second grader and has his hole heart into football and got to play two plays while some first and kindergrdn played most of the game...now tell me how that is fair??? Come on its not fair to leave these kids that have waited their turn out and let these younger grades play...they have to wait their turn like everyone elses boys... they'll get their chance and I'm sure they'll be great... I hope Coach Russell does whats right and make it fair.
Good idea

Terre Haute, IN

#54 Aug 20, 2010
bigguy wrote:
<quoted text>
No one said anything about stealing the thunder!!!! Its the fact that you got politics in a youth football team last time I checked it was a game for 3rd and 4th graders and some 2nd graders.. But its all the coaches sons or friends sons playin that are in kindergarden and first grade over second and third graders. This is about being fair no one made any exceptions last year for my son who was begging to play but couldnt because he was in first grade. So my son sat on the sidelines and watched his older brother play, so he could learn. So why is it different for a coaches son. My son is a second grader and has his hole heart into football and got to play two plays while some first and kindergrdn played most of the game...now tell me how that is fair??? Come on its not fair to leave these kids that have waited their turn out and let these younger grades play...they have to wait their turn like everyone elses boys... they'll get their chance and I'm sure they'll be great... I hope Coach Russell does whats right and make it fair.
Honestly, I do not know the LAWS of Youth Football regarding age or grade requirements...Do you know them? Why do you say "some" 2nd graders? What are the requirements for that?
I do know that some children start Kindergarten at 5, some at 6 and some close to 7... therefore, children can be different ages but in the same grade. My point being, some 2nd graders are 7 and some are 9, etc...
I know the Cottee family and I know that most of the comments made that are referring to a Kindergartner is their son.. whom is a child.. He is 6 years old (for the record), has played flag football for 2 years and is the same size as SOME of the 2/3rd graders... all that aside.. I dont think that Todd let him play as a personal "favor" or to make other parents upset.. More so, it really isnt that big of a deal considering that his father is VOLUNTEERING his time to be a coach..
I am all about "fairness".. but sometimes we need to pick our battles...
At any rate, you should talk to Todd regarding this issue. Im sure you will get a better response and solution by doing that verses talking on a forum annonymously...
bigguy

Mchenry, IL

#55 Aug 21, 2010
Good idea wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly, I do not know the LAWS of Youth Football regarding age or grade requirements...Do you know them? Why do you say "some" 2nd graders? What are the requirements for that?
I do know that some children start Kindergarten at 5, some at 6 and some close to 7... therefore, children can be different ages but in the same grade. My point being, some 2nd graders are 7 and some are 9, etc...
I know the Cottee family and I know that most of the comments made that are referring to a Kindergartner is their son.. whom is a child.. He is 6 years old (for the record), has played flag football for 2 years and is the same size as SOME of the 2/3rd graders... all that aside.. I dont think that Todd let him play as a personal "favor" or to make other parents upset.. More so, it really isnt that big of a deal considering that his father is VOLUNTEERING his time to be a coach..
I am all about "fairness".. but sometimes we need to pick our battles...
At any rate, you should talk to Todd regarding this issue. Im sure you will get a better response and solution by doing that verses talking on a forum annonymously...
The league has always based it on grade not age.. My son was 6 years old in first grade and was the same size as most the players and didnt get to play. So hows that fair... I realize these dads are volunteering but they need to treat them all the same... Thats all I'm sayin... I plan on talking to Tod and I'm not tryin to bash anyone at all.. LETS BE REAL HERE YOU KNOW IT'S NOT FAIR!! I quess if my sons father was out there coachin he would get more playin time no matter what grade he was in.
Great Idea

Terre Haute, IN

#56 Aug 21, 2010
bigguy wrote:
<quoted text>
The league has always based it on grade not age.. My son was 6 years old in first grade and was the same size as most the players and didnt get to play. So hows that fair... I realize these dads are volunteering but they need to treat them all the same... Thats all I'm sayin... I plan on talking to Tod and I'm not tryin to bash anyone at all.. LETS BE REAL HERE YOU KNOW IT'S NOT FAIR!! I quess if my sons father was out there coachin he would get more playin time no matter what grade he was in.
Talk to Todd, he will be more than willing to discuss any issues. I hope that we dont lose coaches over all of this....
Best of luck to you!
bigguy

Mchenry, IL

#57 Aug 21, 2010
Great Idea wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk to Todd, he will be more than willing to discuss any issues. I hope that we dont lose coaches over all of this....
Best of luck to you!
Thank you and best of luck to you and God Bless! I hope we don't loose coaches either but i know a couple people who would step up and be willing to coach.. So if some of the coaches want to leave because the game should be fair for all the kids then they obviously are not in it for the kids! Hopefully when I talk to Todd he will understand and find a solution. From talking to him in the past I believe he will I just havent got a chance to discuss it with him. I dont pay attention to all the crazy talk about people and their family and do not think that its appropriate for a forum thats ment for youth football.. I think those who are doing such should realize this is about these children who just want to play football! Sorry to Todd and his family for all the ignorant comments made about you and whoever made those comments you need to grow up and be a role model for your children they are our next generation you know! and thankyou Great Idea for being able to be mature and have an adult debate without bashing me. Your character obviously shows through your responses that your a mature and respectable person. So Thank You :)
Troy Baker

Griffith, IN

#58 Aug 21, 2010
There is no need for anyone to talk about the Russell and Cottee family. We are not always going to agree with everything that goes on, but that gives no one the right to degrade them. I personally don't agree with everything that is going on but a lot of you are taking this to far. No one in this world is perfect. Personal lives should NOT be brought into the Youth Football League. No one in this world is "perfect" by any means. Everyone has some skeletons in the closet. My son plays for WW and I believe that the coaches are doing the best they can for the number of players they have. Not all the coaches know each kid personally, so they are going to play the kids that they "know" first. Yes, every parent believes that their kid is the best and they think their kid should get to run the ball. Even I get upset sometimes because I don't believe my son gets the playing time he should, but we have to realize it is all about the kids and NOT the parents.

I don't understand why everyone is hiding under a fictitious name. If everyone feels so strongly about how things are being run...come out of the dark and into the light...quit hiding behind an alias.

Last but certainly not least, to everyone that is talking about their kids not being coached by a convicted felon, who are we as individuals to judge??? If God has given him a second chance then who are we to say different. Everyone has done things they are ashamed of. Let Mr. Smith continue to coach the kids without all the negativity. He is trying to make changes in his life and is trying to show these kids the difference between right and wrong. Sometimes you need first hand experience to show another individual to stay on the straight and narrow and not make the same mistakes that we have.

Remember it is ALL ABOUT THE KIDS AND NOT THE PARENTS!!!!!! I pray that we can all learn to come together as a team and support the kids and the Youth Football League. Leave the trash talk at home.

God bless.
seriously

Indianapolis, IN

#59 Aug 21, 2010
bigguy wrote:
<quoted text>
The league has always based it on grade not age.. My son was 6 years old in first grade and was the same size as most the players and didnt get to play. So hows that fair... I realize these dads are volunteering but they need to treat them all the same... Thats all I'm sayin... I plan on talking to Tod and I'm not tryin to bash anyone at all.. LETS BE REAL HERE YOU KNOW IT'S NOT FAIR!! I quess if my sons father was out there coachin he would get more playin time no matter what grade he was in.
Be a man and suck it up. Life isn't fair. You might as well teach your kid that while your at it. This is the same everywhere, not just in Terre Haute. You have winners and you have losers.. guess what you are....
granny

United States

#60 Aug 21, 2010
Ok so if he is so bad then why aren't any of you stepping up to the plate to take over as coach or president. It seems people are just being cowards by posting their comments. I hope people are saying these things to his face or calling him and voicing their complaints. If you don't like it then take your kid off the team and go somewhere else. My grandson is good and enjoys playing. It's a shame that parents have to take the fun out of the game.
drama drama

Terre Haute, IN

#61 Aug 22, 2010
Coach Smith may be out on Parole but let me tell you he is doing time just bein married to his assistant coach.My kid was waiting with his team when chauncey was done with their game.This woman was barkin orders at these kids she was rude sounded like a drill sargeant.If she does that to kids in public what does she do behind closed doors?I say put her in the stands and let the MAN prove his talent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terre Haute Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
old tumble weed building 16 min Martin Luther 6
Cody Nidlinger (Jan '13) 22 min lowlifes 61
Add A Word / Drop A Word (Nov '10) 38 min _Zoey_ 4,586
Union Hospital 42 min Rondrell 792
Jeff Stevens 50 min -THPD- 19
Powerdyne to Deliver Jobs and Investment to Ter... 54 min -THPD- 24
Fuson Dealership 1 hr Cadillac 10
vigo county school money Fri ?? 10
Terre Haute Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Terre Haute People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Terre Haute News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Terre Haute

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:47 pm PST

NFL 1:47PM
'Sound FX' spies Manziel's meeting with Marvin Lewis
Yahoo! Sports 2:09 PM
RT Eric Winston quickly settling in with Bengals
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Broncos vs. Bengals: TV Info, Spread, Injury Updates, Game Time and More
NBC Sports11:17 AM
Peyton Manning officially questionable for Monday night
Bleacher Report11:56 AM
Eagles vs. Redskins: Live Score and Analysis for Philadelphia