How many nurses will get fired from U...

How many nurses will get fired from Union Hospital......

Posted in the Terre Haute Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Concerned Union Hosp Pt

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Mar 20, 2012
I am a patient of Union Hospital. I am admitted frequently due to a chronic illness. Recently I was admitted to my usual unit and was told that my favorite nurse had been let go. When I was discharged I did some investigating and found that several of the nurses who have worked there for years have been fired. These nurses were the higher paid nurses and they are being replaced with inexperienced lower paid nurses. This really concerns me. One has to think that the powers that be are trying to pay for that monstrosity of a hospital. That building would appropraite in Chicago or Indianapolis, not in Terre Haute. I would rather have an experienced nurse in that old building than an unexperienced nurse in that fancy hospital. Fortunately, my doctor goes to both hospitals and I am seriously considering going to Regional. I wish all the nurses that have been fired from Union Hospital all the luck in the world. You will all be missed, especially by the patients that are there frequently.
Momma

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Mar 20, 2012
I heard through the grapevine that Union Hospital is struggling financially and got rid of a lot of employees from all departments.
fired too

United States

#3 Mar 21, 2012
Well poor middle management has a lot to do with it as well. Some managers only see black or white, no middle ground and if you are not towing the line, you are gone. My view on this is your team is only as strong as its coach.
KatieCouric

Crawfordsville, IN

#4 Mar 21, 2012
Union is setting themselves up for a malpractice suit if they continue to bring in inexperienced, wet behind the ears, right out of college nurses. They pay them $14/hour and expect top performance. You get what you pay for!

An experienced nurse who devotes themself and prides themself in their work AND their workplace speaks volumes. Long term employees who have devoted many, many years to one company shouldn't be kicked to the curb because they are making good wages...just to save the company money in order to pay for a building!

It goes without saying that the powers that be are targeting the large wage earners who have rightfully earned every dime they made by being excellent employees and who have devoted so much of their time taking exceptional care of patients and by living by the "old" Union values. When the hospital is slapped with a multi-million dollar malpractice suit because an inadequate nurse made a grave mistake, I truly believe that the board of directors are going to regret the direction the hospital has turned!

Rumor has it the hospital is back to begging the local doctors for more monetary donations for the cost of the building!!! Hopefully not a single one will donate!
Wendy

Willowbrook, IL

#5 Mar 21, 2012
As an employee at Regional I can say that there has been a lot of "experienced" staff members that has been let go as well. I think it's more common then what you think. Just because they are experienced nurses doesn't make them good. A good nurse always asks question no matter how many years they have. Maybe the employees that have been let go from Union should go to Regional and Regional go to Union.

“The Ministry of Information”

Since: Jan 12

Terre Haute, In

#6 Mar 21, 2012
Fact #1: The hospital was paid for with funds already on hand. Est. 130m

Fact #2: A nurse cannot be sued for malpractice, only negligence.

I get my union hospital info from the inside and they are definitely not in financial trouble.
fired too

Noblesville, IN

#8 Mar 21, 2012
Katie- starting pay for a brand new RN is 19/hr with excellent raises the first 18 months as well as shift differentials for those working evenings weekends and holidays. Fact is all hospitals are tightening their belts as tight as they possibly can d/ t changes in CMS standards and MCR reimbursement. Most have hired Value Analysis managers to look at ways to save millions of dollars and have done so with a big ROI.
Patient Emeritus

Park Ridge, NJ

#9 Mar 21, 2012
I am a frequent patient, due largely to my habit of unprotected skank sex. Last time I was in, this nice male nurse was able to help alleviate my pain, he is no longer there...when will the madness stop!
Matt Lower

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Mar 21, 2012
fired too wrote:
Katie- starting pay for a brand new RN is 19/hr with excellent raises the first 18 months as well as shift differentials for those working evenings weekends and holidays. Fact is all hospitals are tightening their belts as tight as they possibly can d/ t changes in CMS standards and MCR reimbursement. Most have hired Value Analysis managers to look at ways to save millions of dollars and have done so with a big ROI.
You have to work in a suit, not a uniform, at Union Hospital. You are using all of the bs that has been programmed into the Nursing Care Managers. They speak to their staff like they are reading straight from a script. We are not stupid. Hey Nurses-ever thought about contacting a Union to protect yourselves from the bullies who sit behind desks while you all run your tails off???? Just a thought..
Matt Lower

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Mar 21, 2012
Keep Calm and Carry On wrote:
Fact #1: The hospital was paid for with funds already on hand. Est. 130m
Fact #2: A nurse cannot be sued for malpractice, only negligence.
I get my union hospital info from the inside and they are definitely not in financial trouble.
Why then, do nurses carry malpractice insurance??? Be careful what you believe, you can never tell if you are talking to a "robot" who has been programed.
babbu

Shepardsville, IN

#12 Mar 21, 2012
Matt Lower wrote:
<quoted text>
Why then, do nurses carry malpractice insurance??? Be careful what you believe, you can never tell if you are talking to a "robot" who has been programed.
Good point. This "keep calm" guy gets on several topics and claims to have inside info and special knowledge on many subjects. Awhile back he was an expert on law enforcement, knew everything there was to know about prisons and jails, things of that nature. Keep an eye out for him and the things he writes, usually in a condescending manner, you'll see.

Terre Haute, In

#13 Mar 21, 2012
Matt Lower wrote:
<quoted text>
The way that Indiana law is structured, nurses that are sued, are sued for negligence. Malpractice is usually reserved for doctors, lawyers and several other professions. It's just a matter of language, it doesn't bring any new meaning to civil suits against nurses, they can still be sued for damages and still can benefit from insurance against legal action. It's just the terminology used in this state. You can call the insurance whatever you want, but if you're filing suit against a nurse, it's negligence.

Terre Haute, In

#14 Mar 21, 2012
babbu wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. This "keep calm" guy gets on several topics and claims to have inside info and special knowledge on many subjects. Awhile back he was an expert on law enforcement, knew everything there was to know about prisons and jails, things of that nature. Keep an eye out for him and the things he writes, usually in a condescending manner, you'll see.
I've never made claims that I was an expert on any subject. If you're going to make wild accusations, provide proof.

I've never made any claim that I know all there is to know about prisons or jails. Everything I've ever posted on topix (minus three comments) is still available for viewing. If you've got a problem with something I've said, quote it and state your issue with it. Don't make unsubstantiated claims.

Terre Haute, In

#15 Mar 21, 2012
Keep Calm and Carry On wrote:
<quoted text>
The way that Indiana law is structured, nurses that are sued, are sued for negligence. Malpractice is usually reserved for doctors, lawyers and several other professions. It's just a matter of language, it doesn't bring any new meaning to civil suits against nurses, they can still be sued for damages and still can benefit from insurance against legal action. It's just the terminology used in this state. You can call the insurance whatever you want, but if you're filing suit against a nurse, it's negligence.
To be clear, nurses can be named as defendants in malpractice suits lumped in with the offending physician(s). That does happen a lot. I was just trying to emphasize the difference in language used in Indiana's court system. It's a trivial question of wording, not a big deal.
fired too

Glenview Nas, IL

#16 Mar 21, 2012
Matt Lower wrote:
<quoted text>You have to work in a suit, not a uniform, at Union Hospital. You are using all of the bs that has been programmed into the Nursing Care Managers. They speak to their staff like they are reading straight from a script. We are not stupid. Hey Nurses-ever thought about contacting a Union to protect yourselves from the bullies who sit behind desks while you all run your tails off???? Just a thought..
great idea.....this was tried about a dozen years ago and failed d/t the fear of losing their jobs the nurses faced. The west coast has a LARGE group of unionized nurses. It will slowly, very slowly make its way to the Midwest.
agree

Terre Haute, IN

#17 Mar 22, 2012
babbu wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you 100% on everything you just said.. Keep Calm has a very "bad" attitude & smart mouth & he also know's it ALL!! What a NEGATIVE minded Individual..would suck to be him;)
KatieCouric

Crawfordsville, IN

#18 Mar 22, 2012
@keep calm: you are an idiot! The new hospital is NOT paid for! Just recently, local doctors received a letter from Union asking for additional monetary donations....to be be used for the construction costs. It will be many, many years before that building will be 100% paid for.

You need to get a life outside of trolling every Topix discussion and commenting on things you know nothing about!!!!

Terre Haute, In

#19 Mar 22, 2012
KatieCouric wrote:
@keep calm: you are an idiot! The new hospital is NOT paid for! Just recently, local doctors received a letter from Union asking for additional monetary donations....to be be used for the construction costs. It will be many, many years before that building will be 100% paid for.

You need to get a life outside of trolling every Topix discussion and commenting on things you know nothing about!!!!
I'm not going away. You'd miss reading my posts.

Did you ever consider they might want money for new construction endeavors? How much do you think the new parking garage will cost? But you didn't think of that, did you?

Since: Mar 12

Terre Haute, IN

#20 Mar 22, 2012
Katie is mean!

Terre Haute, In

#21 Mar 22, 2012
If I recall correctly, the cherry street parking garage cost the taxpayers just short of 14m.

Union also recently added on to their hospital in vermillion county.

Of the many facilities they own, I'm certain there are always plans for construction.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terre Haute Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dedicate A Song 7 min Trista 20
Terre Haute North Baseball Coach 35 min Northsider 9
News Remember to leave the pets at home if youa re h... 55 min TH Resident 2
Who has the best female body in town 1 hr Skippy 28
Who snitching (Jun '13) 1 hr Maxter 94
Parke County Sheriff Department SUCKS (Mar '10) 1 hr good girl 16
Curious 1 hr mote it be 22
wtwo channel 2 (Jun '14) 9 hr roadmap 51
More from around the web

Personal Finance