Ultimate Fitness & Terre Haute Gyms

Posted in the Terre Haute Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Daniel

Elko, NV

#1 Mar 3, 2011
I'm in desperate need of finding a good gym. I stopped by Ultimate Fitness the other day and took a look. The actual lifting area looked pretty small. Does anyone have any experiences with this place? I hate to sign a 1 year contract with a place I'm so unsure about. I've looked for reviews on it but they were all regarding their physical therapy facility there.

I've also checked out Anytime Fitness on S. 7th street. I found that it is 90% machines and VERY expensive. If anyone has any insight into this subject please post.
walker

Elko, NV

#2 Mar 4, 2011
Check out Stan's Nautilus on 12 and Pugh (one block SW of 13th and Margaret). Lots of free weights, Nautilus equipment that's regularly maintained, and really inexpensive, plus you can get 3 or 6 month contracts instead of one year. I was a member until I no longer had reliable daycare to go.
Daycare

Elko, NV

#3 Mar 4, 2011
i offer daycare in my home if you need someone :) I have excellent references and over 5 years if experience. I am available 24/7. Let me know if you need someone!
Lou Ferrigno

Oswego, IL

#4 Mar 5, 2011
I was a member for years at Stan's & it sounds like that's what you're looking for. They have more free weights than about anywhere else.
Daniel

Elko, NV

#5 Mar 6, 2011
Thanks for the information about Stan's. It does sound a lot more like what I'm looking for. I'm going to stop by there this week.
Steve

Terre Haute, IN

#6 Mar 29, 2011
I wouldn't join Ultimate Fitness they don't have a clue how to run a gym over their. The owners are more worried about their social status then their clients or their facility. They will tell you they have 200+ member's but yet you never see more then 5 people in the gym at PEAK hours..... I give it a short life as a gym they MAY be good as therapist but not a gym in my opinion. And that male trainer they have over their can't even speak a coherient sentance every other word is uh or um and never makes eye contact when he talks to you, something shady is going on with him if you ask me. And good luck getting answers from the staff over their, it varies on who you ask what answer you get. Not very reliable or trustworthy in my opinion.
Muammar Gadhafi

AOL

#7 Mar 29, 2011
umm...ah....come to my gym.....um...eh....and I'll sick the lions on you scondrels....um...eh
A little overweight

Terre Haute, IN

#8 Mar 24, 2014
I was looking for gym reviews and stumbled across this thread. Any new opinions on Terre Haute gyms? I like free weights and machines.

What about the Y?
Just my thoughts

Terre Haute, IN

#9 Mar 24, 2014
The."y " is great! Great value for membership fee... A lot of equipment to get a great workout.
Alcyholic Moron

Terre Haute, IN

#10 Mar 24, 2014
Anytime Fitness looked good when I visited there.
Muscles

Cicero, IL

#11 Mar 24, 2014
The Y is decently priced but I don't like the way the gym's are set up. To me they're really awkward otherwise it's good. Ultimate fitness and Anytime we're never an option idk why I just never was interested in them. I've heard a lot of good things about Terre Haute or Wabash fitness near 12 points. They're new and have the ladder machine which is supposed to be killer. Their price is equine lantern $1 a day and you can pay by the day or monthly.
The most beautiful gym in TH that has every machine, pool and sauna is ISU sports recreational center. It is pricey but all inclusive and worth every cent. Free weights, every machine you could possibly want and then some, plus med balls, yoga balls, indoor track, tons of group fitness classes including spin classes, grappling, survivor which is a cross fit class and Of course Zumba just to name few. You need to visit this place in order to appreciate it!!
Wondering a bit less

Terre Haute, IN

#12 Mar 24, 2014
The "Y" has tons of things to help in the goals you have in mind. Exercise classes from open to close, you pick and choose the ones that work for you. Free weights, machines, basketball courts and a huge indoor all season pool.
Muscles wrote:
The Y is decently priced but I don't like the way the gym's are set up. To me they're really awkward otherwise it's good. Ultimate fitness and Anytime we're never an option idk why I just never was interested in them. I've heard a lot of good things about Terre Haute or Wabash fitness near 12 points. They're new and have the ladder machine which is supposed to be killer. Their price is equine lantern $1 a day and you can pay by the day or monthly.
The most beautiful gym in TH that has every machine, pool and sauna is ISU sports recreational center. It is pricey but all inclusive and worth every cent. Free weights, every machine you could possibly want and then some, plus med balls, yoga balls, indoor track, tons of group fitness classes including spin classes, grappling, survivor which is a cross fit class and Of course Zumba just to name few. You need to visit this place in order to appreciate it!!
wondering

Brazil, IN

#14 Mar 25, 2014
I like Anytime Fitness. I go to the one on Fruitridge. Not expensive at all. Very clean.

Since: Oct 12

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Mar 25, 2014
Union Hospital has decent equipment but has a lot of whining idiots running the place so it kind of ruins it.

Anytime Fitness is nice plus has the 24 hours access but has a serious lack of free weights and equipment for heavy lifting.

Ultimate Fitness is about the same as anytime equipment wise except they're not 24 hours

ISU is supposed to be great except I've heard it gets busy and you have a lot of morons lounging around getting in the way. I've never been or inquired since I heard that you had to be an alumni or current student to join, not sure if that's true or not.

Stans Nautilus is a decent place. Equipment is a bit older but has a nice overall selection.

Terre Haute Fitness shows great promise. Lots of room, equipment, and great pricing with 24 hour access. Owned by the same guys that have Cottrells Corner in Clinton and that gym is awesome, especially if you're more geared towards power lifting but they do have it all. I'll be headed here very soon.
Beast

Lockport, KY

#16 Mar 25, 2014
Terre Haute Fitness Center on Lafayette Ave is the best for free weights. Cardio's not bad, but they could stand to throw in some stair steppers. Weight area has tons of room, and you can also pay on a monthly basis without long term contracts.
Ima chick

Alsip, IL

#17 Mar 25, 2014
Pimpin in a Double Wide wrote:
Union Hospital has decent equipment but has a lot of whining idiots running the place so it kind of ruins it.
Anytime Fitness is nice plus has the 24 hours access but has a serious lack of free weights and equipment for heavy lifting.
Ultimate Fitness is about the same as anytime equipment wise except they're not 24 hours
ISU is supposed to be great except I've heard it gets busy and you have a lot of morons lounging around getting in the way. I've never been or inquired since I heard that you had to be an alumni or current student to join, not sure if that's true or not.
Stans Nautilus is a decent place. Equipment is a bit older but has a nice overall selection.
Terre Haute Fitness shows great promise. Lots of room, equipment, and great pricing with 24 hour access. Owned by the same guys that have Cottrells Corner in Clinton and that gym is awesome, especially if you're more geared towards power lifting but they do have it all. I'll be headed here very soon.
You mentioned power lifting. Do you happen to kno if TH fitness has power lifting classes or trainers? I've done some power lifting, just the basics but I LOVE IT! I Want to join a place that offers this for women!

Since: Oct 12

Columbus, IN

#18 Mar 25, 2014
Ima chick wrote:
<quoted text>
You mentioned power lifting. Do you happen to kno if TH fitness has power lifting classes or trainers? I've done some power lifting, just the basics but I LOVE IT! I Want to join a place that offers this for women!
Classes or trainers I can't comment on for sure. I'm currently at Anytime Fitness for one more month until my contract is up and have only stopped in to check out Terre Haute fitness. I saw they had some tires, Atlas stones, etc. for people to use a long with a great free weight section but I'm not sure about classes or trainers. If it's anything like Cottrells they would have days where guys would get together and train with each other but I'm not sure how structured it was. Just stop in during staffed hours and talk to someone, they were real laid back and informative when I went.
That one guy

Terre Haute, IN

#19 Mar 25, 2014
Terre Haute Fitness center has a very nice assortment of equipment for powerlifting. They have a hex bar for dead lifts, a gigantic tire with a sledge hammer, 2-3 bench racks, 2 squat racks. I only have been in there a few times since I have a my pass to ISU until may. You either have to be a student, or alumni to have access inside there.

Also, THFC does have a board for a "bench" record. It's a motivational booster for sure, but I would like to see the weight of the person on there too.
Gymdude

Terre Haute, IN

#20 Mar 27, 2014
Ultimate is shady .. period.

The Y might be a tiny step above ultimate but would
agree that the is extremely awkward. Staffed with people claiming to be Christians with scriptures written. Staff turn-over says a lot, the machine are pretty much crap and the locker rooms are filthy The memberships are cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Union is great but can get crowded. I don't pay attention to whining. so I Anytime is way overpriced and has mostly cardio. Stan's equipment is older than Stan, but price is decent.
THFC for lifting only may be be your best bet.They do have not power lift classes.
Wondering a bit less

Terre Haute, IN

#21 Mar 27, 2014
Why do you say The Y is award? Is it the way the equipment is set up or because of the bible quotes?
Also, why do you say the locker room is filthy? Is it because there is water on the floor from the people who swim? Every time I'm in there it's clean . They must be doing something right cause that place is packed all the time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terre Haute Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
street walker 6 min The Real Nathan2015 2
Scott vanness?? (Jun '14) 3 hr Maury 4
whos the tramps in town? 4 hr Ryan 6
busted down girls 4 hr prince charming 1
Vigo County School Corporation Victims 5 hr Bogus 21
snitches 5 hr guu 7
Megan targett post gone 6 hr lmfao 3
Terre Haute North 7 hr Truth 16
What would you do if your child told you a teac... Sun Www 77
More from around the web