Dan Tanoos- Why the police prepped ve...
lol

Terre Haute, IN

#23 Feb 15, 2012
common sense wrote:
Who pays for this bodyguard? Is it an off-duty officer?
Thats probably why the poor kid's go with no air conditioning when it's hot out!!
Big Dog

Terre Haute, IN

#24 Feb 16, 2012
I think he has a body guard because someone tried to bump him off a few years ago.
teach

Shepardsville, IN

#25 Feb 16, 2012
here is a little info on the shooting
http://www.google.com/url...
teach

Shepardsville, IN

#26 Feb 16, 2012
Tanoos takes advantage of badge
Tanoos rushed to the scene of a serious accident involving a bus last week he used red-and-blue police lights to help him get there more quickly
As a Sheriff’s Department deputy, he was within his authority to use the flashing lights attached to the visor of his district-owned vehicle was deputized by Marvel last August
Tanoos said Wednesday’s accident was the first time he had used the emergency lights
With the knowledge of a serious accident I felt it was important to get there as quickly as possible Initial reports indicated a very bad accident involving a drunken driver who had smashed into a bus 3 students and a driver were on the bus
Tanoos said he tries to respond to school incidents in which a student or employee safety may be in question
He didn’t use the police lights the entire time — only to get through about 3 intersections and to get through areas of congested traffic
Ray Azar, director of student services, rode with him and made sure intersections were clear
As a deputy Tanoos has a badge and a credential similar to a driver’s license that says he has been certified as a deputy The sheriff also issued him a Glock pistol to use Tanoos said he has had weapons training
Another district employee Franklin Fennell also is a special deputy whose district-owned vehicle has red and blue lights Tanoos said
Asked about liability concerns when acting as a special deputy Tanoos said it has been cleared through insurance.
Tanoos said he does not always carry a weapon with him but there are situations when he does
When acting in his capacity as a special deputy he could carry his Glock he said He suggested that would be in an extreme or dangerous circumstance such as a school hostage situation
The superintendent said he has had a permit to carry a weapon since Jan 2001 when someone shot at him while he was in his home eating dinner and a bullet grazed his head
He has his own weapon which he may carry concealed for his protection depending on the situation he said Since the 01 shooting, I have to consider the safety of my family and myself Tanoos said
Marvel said he doesn’t have many special deputies, and when he does deputize one, it’s for a specific purpose. He deputized Tanoos to deal with safety-related matters within the Vigo County School Corp.
“I thought he needed to have some kind of police powers … should there be an incident where he needed to get from one side of the county to another if there was something tragic going on,” Marvel said.
He said Tanoos has gone through two or three days of training and has ridden with Frank Shahadey, a sergeant with the Sheriff’s Department who is assigned to the school district Riding with Shahadey, Tanoos learned how to go through a red light at an intersection safely during an emergency.
Marvel said it was his idea to deputize Tanoos.“I thought he should have that type of authority to be able to respond to a school crisis and get there quickly
As a deputy, Tanoos would fall under Marvel’s authority as sheriff, Marvel said.
John Ellis, director of the Association of School Superintendents, said he’s not aware of any other superintendents in Indiana who have been deputized in a similar manner.
“I don’t believe it’s common” in Indiana or other states he said.
Someone needs to have that type of authority, Ellis said but typically that would occur through a school-police liaison arrangement he said.
Deputizing a superintendent puts a higher level of responsibility and a higher burden on that person Ellis said
The superintendent might be taking on additional risk in terms of liability issues such as if someone was hurt or the superintendent acting in a special deputy role was hurt carrying out that authority Ellis said
Cledus

Shepardsville, IN

#27 Feb 16, 2012
teach wrote:
Tanoos rushed to the scene of a serious accident involving a bus last week he used red-and-blue police lights to help him get there more quickly
And then what? Is he a Paramedic? EMT? Firefighter? Why does he need to get to the scene with lights & siren risking further incidents?

An off duty city firefighter, a county volunteer firefighter, or any other EMS trained person can be far more helpful at an accident scene then the Vigo County School superintendent yet none of them have red lights & siren.

I've even seen a Vigo County School Corp emergency response vehicle...WHY!?!? Are we expecting a riot at one of the county elementary schools or something?
MelBurksAKAbodyg uard

Westmont, IL

#28 Feb 16, 2012
Why not have a parade and an entourage? After all, the corp saves money by not having technology and makin teachers pay for all the stuff in their classrooms.
gOON sQUAD

AOL

#29 Feb 16, 2012
Cledus wrote:
<quoted text>
And then what? Is he a Paramedic? EMT? Firefighter? Why does he need to get to the scene with lights & siren risking further incidents?
An off duty city firefighter, a county volunteer firefighter, or any other EMS trained person can be far more helpful at an accident scene then the Vigo County School superintendent yet none of them have red lights & siren.
I've even seen a Vigo County School Corp emergency response vehicle...WHY!?!? Are we expecting a riot at one of the county elementary schools or something?
You hit the nail Cledus

Imagine the scene> Big Dan lights blazin and Jerri curl drippin screetches to a halt right beside the crash victim lying on the ground. He gets out and does what?

Direct traffic?

really...a school super has time for this?

what would make it even funnier is if they made him do it with a city issued moped all tricked out with lights and siren.....picture that? I'd pay good money to see that...thats just good TV
against

Terre Haute, IN

#30 Feb 25, 2012
Tanoos brought Chauncey Rose up from the ruins years ago. You can call him what you want, but he has done a lot of good things in Vigo Co. If he wants or needs to have this car you are all talking about, so what? With the schools full of delinquents, I would say the teachers need guns!
Samms

Terre Haute, IN

#31 Feb 25, 2012
Hedy Lamarr wrote:
I believe that Charles Clark used to hold
the office of superintendent... Mr Tanoos
came into the office as a temp. What happened
How does someone get to this position?
It seems he's been in there way too long.
We don't want a good principal! We WANT Mr. Clark!
Moe Bandy

Terre Haute, IN

#32 Feb 26, 2012
Above article lists those involved- Azar, Shahadey,Ellis,Tanoos---Does anyone notice an interesting pattern here?
Moe Bandy

Terre Haute, IN

#33 Feb 26, 2012
Samms wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't want a good principal! We WANT Mr. Clark!
Charles Clark was a gentleman. There is no comparison to the bed hopping greaseball running the Corp now. Im thinking if a Superintendent personal behavior has made him such a target that he needs a bodyguard he needs to go, he is a danger to our kids by contact.
common sense

Clinton, IN

#34 Feb 26, 2012
Moe Bandy wrote:
Above article lists those involved- Azar, Shahadey,Ellis,Tanoos---Does anyone notice an interesting pattern here?
Hasn't Shahady also had his share of overblown authority issues?
Frank

Terre Haute, IN

#35 Feb 26, 2012
He is a vindictive man who stops at nothing to further his imagined power. Actually, he is feared by most teachers and administrators because if they are not on " his team" they are gone. How many people has he had his Darth Vader fire during his tenure as superintendent? He is also the King of Nepotism......
Moe Bandy

Terre Haute, IN

#36 Feb 26, 2012
Several years ago he tried to muscle fellow prick Lloyd Benjamin of Indiana State. Tanoos told benjamin that no ISU graduates would be hired for Vigo County jobs. Benjamin guaranteed Tanoos placement would not be affected and told Tanoos to jump in a lake. Too much power for too long. The public overwhelmingly is dissatisfied with Tanoos, he will however remain in office as long as he cares to. Any suggestion that Dan step down will be met with personal retribution.
Concerned Citizens

AOL

#37 Feb 26, 2012
Moe Bandy wrote:
Above article lists those involved- Azar, Shahadey,Ellis,Tanoos---Does anyone notice an interesting pattern here?
Looks like the Nassers want no part of this racket.
Frank

Terre Haute, IN

#38 Feb 27, 2012
He has the school board in his pocket and they choose not to see or hear about all his dirty shenanigans. At least Darth Vader will be gone in June. Then another of his cronies, Newport will step in to take the heat when Tanoos gets wind of someone talking negatively about him. Wake up school board, aren't you collectively smart enough to figure this out?
Morrel Beavers

Terre Haute, IN

#39 Feb 27, 2012
Frank wrote:
He has the school board in his pocket and they choose not to see or hear about all his dirty shenanigans. At least Darth Vader will be gone in June. Then another of his cronies, Newport will step in to take the heat when Tanoos gets wind of someone talking negatively about him. Wake up school board, aren't you collectively smart enough to figure this out?
The School Board? Its a collection of the undead. Without new blood it continues in stagnation. The only outspoken one was let go (Minnis) by the voters of Vigo County (or Mansard). It seems that status quo is what we seek as citizens of this county. AND,If this narcissist is a deputy himself why still the bodybuard? As a cop he should be able to defend himself. Charles Clark, Harmon Baldwin kept their #ick in their pants, we had no moral issues to protect with those two. DANNY NEEDS TO GO! Yesterday, not in the future.
equalizer

United States

#40 Feb 27, 2012
Morrel Beavers wrote:
<quoted text>The School Board? Its a collection of the undead. Without new blood it continues in stagnation. The only outspoken one was let go (Minnis) by the voters of Vigo County (or Mansard). It seems that status quo is what we seek as citizens of this county. AND,If this narcissist is a deputy himself why still the bodybuard? As a cop he should be able to defend himself. Charles Clark, Harmon Baldwin kept their #ick in their pants, we had now moral issues to protect with those two. DANNY NEEDS TO GO! Yesterday, not in the future.
we know who you are, keep the defamation of character up. Dan does not have a body guard & only had protection after he got shit at. Danny is a very good Christian man. Watch your self please be careful, if you know what I mean...
Gestapo

AOL

#41 Feb 27, 2012
equalizer wrote:
<quoted text>we know who you are, keep the defamation of character up. Dan does not have a body guard & only had protection after he got shit at. Danny is a very good Christian man. Watch your self please be careful, if you know what I mean...
sounds like ur threathening Morrel over that slime ball Tanoos.
we got ur back Morrel. bring it on equalizer. obviously you've not met the Gestapo!
Yea

Terre Haute, IN

#42 Feb 27, 2012
equalizer wrote:
<quoted text>we know who you are, keep the defamation of character up. Dan does not have a body guard & only had protection after he got shit at. Danny is a very good Christian man. Watch your self please be careful, if you know what I mean...
he did get" get shit at,"-------priceless!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terre Haute Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sawmill 11 min Grader 13
Don't forget norm and the fire training center 1 hr Onlooker 4
Good lunch 1 hr Rockne 6
Your hubby needs chasity belt 2 hr ding dong 11
Bryan Grimes 2 hr Fartman 2
Kevin Adams 2 hr Tampon pirate 5
Sony layoffs finally here 2 hr fiuh3kheje 30
News WTHI TV 10 - Terre Haute Weather and News |Mom ... (Jun '08) 23 hr Some girl 49
Norm got his feelings hurt Wed Onlooker 13

Terre Haute Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Terre Haute Mortgages