Lakeland Grace Academy Saved my Daughter

Lakeland Grace Academy Saved my Daughter

Posted in the Tequesta Forum

Since: Mar 14

Jupiter, FL

#1 Mar 1, 2014
My wife and I have raised 6 children in our life time. All are in or have finished college. Our last child was difficult to say the least. She ran away three times, experimented with drugs, sex and alcohol, before her 16th birthday. This last child even refused to finish High School. We turned to Teen Challenge in Lakeland Florida a Christian based facility. They saved our daughters life. Today she attends church regularly, is aware of her actions and is working on her High School diploma. She is not perfect, but no one is.

Teen Challenge works not only on your child but with you the parent. "You can't loss a leg and expect the doctor who saved your life to teach you to walk again" . With the support and training Teen Challenge gives you and your child, your child can succeed . If you use the program as taught after your child comes home.

I "Thank God" every day for Teen Challenge.

Since: Mar 14

Santa Monica, CA

#2 Mar 12, 2014
Lakeland is an awesome program and the directors are unbelievably caring and kind. It saddens me when a couple girls say the program was bad and spout all kinds of lies about it. They likely say the same bad things about anything or anyone who is trying to help them, and about their parents too! Unfortunately, it causes some parents with troubled girts to not seek Lakeland's help due to the lies of these few bad kids. That's the worst tragedy. If you are considering Lakeland, talk to the parents who have had a girl there. The parents will tell you. Don't miss getting help due to the lies of a few kids (some even masquerading as parents).
CARAGIA

Venice, FL

#3 Jan 29, 2016
My daughter began Lakeland Grace Academy 10 months ago. She was a rebellious, moody, out of control, disrespectful 13 yr old at the time. She was hanging with kids a year or two older, trying to emulate them, leaving our home without permission, sneaking out, in the beginning stages of drinking and drugs. I also had her 15 yr old brother heading down the same path. I didn't allow it to go too far before I decided to slam the door on that behavior.

My most difficult challenge was in convincing their dad this would be the best course of action for her and her brother, who is also at the Vero Beach Boys Ranch Teen Challenge facility for the same behaviors. Every penny we have spent on our children thus far is beyond worth it..

We went through the typical stages each child goes through when entering a program of this type. They pleaded to come home the first few parent weekends,(they'd learned what they were supposed to and there was no reason for them to stay longer, tried to convince us the programs weren't what we were told, etc). We refused to allow them to come home. They don't ask anymore. I watched many parents remove their children because they listened to what their children said instead of what the staff said. Let's face it, your child was playing/manipulating you before, they aren't going to stop. They know exactly how to play you. You just have to be strong enough to say no, to mean no, to stick with no, when they start chirping. 10 months later, I can honestly say, the proof is in the pudding.
For the first time in months I could put my head on the pillow knowing where my children were and that they were safe. Any amount of money or any inconvenience we have experienced since sending our children to Teen Challenge has been worth it. That's a priceless feeling in and of itself.

The changes I've seen take place in my daughter and son, even in the first 6 months, but especially now and what I believe I can look forward to in the future when they are due to graduate in several more months, are truly beyond remarkable. I have my children back, the girl and boy who loved and trusted me once upon a time. I can't imagine the pain of losing a child, but losing a child who continues to live, always having that hope of one day seeing them again and yet seeing no end in sight to the self-destructive behaviors, is an indescribable pain that comes close.

I love that Teen Challenge works with the parents and other family members who directly affect the child's life, helping them overcome obstacles, praying for all of us, encouraging us in repairing relationships with our children, learning how to create wholesome, healthy relationships that provide support for our children and maintain the boundaries necessary in a successful parent/child relationship. It truly is remarkable all the love and support we all get from the staff at Teen Challenge, like extensions of the family you'll be glad you have at your back.

Lakeland Grace and Vero Beach Boys Ranch have given us our children back, but yet they are much wiser, more mature, ready to face the challenges of life with a fresh perspective and the ability to manage situations with the strength and character many adults lack today. Their love for and faith in Jesus Christ, the strong foundations they've built due to their relationship with the Lord, are the icing on the cake that gives their lives a purpose and direction that I pray stays with them through every year they live and through every relationship they have.

Teen Challenge isn't only for the Christian, though, so don't hesitate to reach out to them if your beliefs don't align with the foundations they promote there. You're looking for a heart change, not a lifestyle change. Without the heart of your child changing, the negativity and unhealthy choices of the world will always be a threat to whatever progress or changes they make. Children need to be rebuilt with love from the inside out. Teen Challenge provides that.

Since: Jan 16

Venice, FL

#4 Jan 29, 2016
My daughter began Lakeland Grace Academy 10 months ago. She was a rebellious, moody, out of control, disrespectful 13 yr old at the time. She was hanging with kids a year or two older, trying to emulate them, leaving our home without permission, sneaking out, in the beginning stages of drinking and drugs. I also had her 15 yr old brother heading down the same path. I didn't allow it to go too far before I decided to slam the door on that behavior.

My most difficult challenge was in convincing their dad this would be the best course of action for her and her brother, who is also at the Vero Beach Boys Ranch Teen Challenge facility for the same behaviors. Every penny we have spent on our children thus far is beyond worth it.

We went through the typical stages each child goes through when entering a program of this type. They pleaded to come home the first few parent weekends,(they'd learned what they were supposed to and there was no reason for them to stay longer, tried to convince us the programs weren't what we were told, etc). We refused to allow them to come home. They don't ask anymore. I watched many parents remove their children because they listened to what their children said instead of what the staff said. Let's face it, your child was playing/manipulating you before, they aren't going to stop. They know exactly how to play you. You just have to be strong enough to say no, to mean no, to stick with no, when they start chirping. 10 months later, I can honestly say, the proof is in the pudding.
For the first time in months I could put my head on the pillow knowing where my children were and that they were safe. Any amount of money or any inconvenience we have experienced since sending our children to Teen Challenge has been worth it. That's a priceless feeling in and of itself.

The changes I've seen take place in my daughter and son, even in the first 6 months, but especially now and what I believe I can look forward to in the future when they are due to graduate in several more months, are truly beyond remarkable. I have my children back, the girl and boy who loved and trusted me once upon a time. I can't imagine the pain of losing a child, but losing a child who continues to live, always having that hope of one day seeing them again and yet seeing no end in sight to the self-destructive behaviors, is an indescribable pain that comes close.

I love that Teen Challenge works with the parents and other family members who directly affect the child's life, helping them overcome obstacles, praying for all of us, encouraging us in repairing relationships with our children, learning how to create wholesome, healthy relationships that provide support for our children and maintain the boundaries necessary in a successful parent/child relationship. It truly is remarkable all the love and support we all get from the staff at Teen Challenge, like extensions of the family you'll be glad you have at your back.

Lakeland Grace and Vero Beach Boys Ranch have given us our children back, but yet they are much wiser, more mature, ready to face the challenges of life with a fresh perspective and the ability to manage situations with the strength and character many adults lack today. Their love for and faith in Jesus Christ, the strong foundations they've built due to their relationship with the Lord, are the icing on the cake that gives their lives a purpose and direction that I pray stays with them through every year they live and through every relationship they have.

Teen Challenge isn't only for the Christian, though, so don't hesitate to reach out to them if your beliefs don't align with the foundations they promote there. You're looking for a heart change, not a lifestyle change. Without the heart of your child changing, the negativity and unhealthy choices of the world will always be a threat to whatever progress or changes they make. Children need to be rebuilt with love from the inside out. Teen Challenge provides that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tequesta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Attn : 15th Circuit Court Contractors : Florid... Sep 23 Public Notice 1
Dope boys Sep 21 Junkie 1
News Stanley Cohen, Former Dentist, Arrested for All... (Sep '11) Sep 15 enforce FARA 7
Dr. Kristin Tolbert, Child Abuse Enabler (Jan '16) Sep 9 Barbara C 22
News Florida rabbi loses job after helping lead Trum... Sep 6 never again 3
News New 'zombie' drug may be emerging in Florida as... Sep 5 Trump Train 2
Allison and Teresa ='s Two Aug '16 Creatures with Ba... 4

Tequesta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Tequesta Mortgages