25 year nurse

Whiteville, NC

#1023 Dec 22, 2012
marla wrote:
So they found alcohol is your system? Alcohol is legal. I am assuming it was a test that was able to pick up the alcohol from prior consumption? It wasn;t like in your blood at the time you drive to the place? I don't get it. Unless you are on probation,. driving or at work; isn't alcohol legal? This mess is out of control.
I was called and told that I tested POSITIVE for a drug screen. Puzzled, I asked "for what??" They told me BENADRYL! They told me I needed a doctor's order if I were to take ANYTHING. I have severe allergies and asthma and felt an attack coming on. I took 2 puffs from my albuterol inhaler and the benedryl. Hope I never need to use my epi-pen- wouldn't want to test positive for that!
Susan

Norristown, PA

#1024 Dec 22, 2012
Just one added thought: President Obama says the purpose of pot is to inhale it! He brews beer in the White House. He used drugs in college.....and he's president! What the heck?
Exactly WHAT Did I Steal

San Jose, CA

#1025 Dec 22, 2012
Okay, I have a new email... exactlywhatdidisteal@gmail.com so email me, esp. if you live in the Auburn area, like Fallen From Grace RN, and let's get together....
mollystacy name change

Norristown, PA

#1026 Dec 27, 2012
Look, bor anyone in PA, I am totally frustrated!! One DUI, no license, working as an AIDE, gross. No lawayers help, they are all making money off of us. We need to unify and contact governors across the country!! We are all being screwed.

Susand3238@gmail.com
mollystacy wrote:
I have had it, lost my license over 7 years ago. I don't remember what I signed, but whatever it was got me into this mess. I just wrote to my governor in PA and I think we should all write to our governors, since they run the board.
Page 1
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett
I need help and it has to do with the Board of Nursing. I had a DUI over 7.5 years ago. Apparently I signed a paper stating I had no control over my drinking, or something to that effect. I would have never signed that but I believe all these papers were put in from of me and I just signed without being careful. I started to attend the AA meetings, group meetings and all the while I felt these didnít pertain to me. I did this out of fear.
I have lost my license and cannot make any money. I have been been a caregiver for over four years now. I see nurses stealing pills, I do not take drugs! I do drink but with my hours now, I just canít.
Why isnít there a statute of limitations? I have never had a DUI and will never go through that
Page 2
again. I was stupid and never knew my nursing license would be taken. The two psychiatrists at Temple Hospital were very smooth with the paper work. I was scared and thought I needed to follow all rules.
I could see losing my license if I were on the job, but I was on my own time, it wasnít right but I was grieving over a person who died.
During the time of the meetings, I had to have two total knee replacements.
I want to do some form of nursing and if you look at the web site about nurses having their license taken, you would see the remarks. This isnít funny. I am 64, and not about to start the program over. I paid for so many urine testsÖ.went to AA meetings, I felt were just a waste to me. I believe I was so stupid that I just didnít read all the papers I signed. Thatís my fault! I only became a nurse in
Page 3
1995 prior to that I taught school. Then I had a daughter who became diabetic at 14 months. If such a drunk, how did I handle that?
Could you please set up a hearing for me? Is there any way out of this? The rules of the board have to be changed. I have seen nurses stuff pills into their pockets and yet they have a job. They work together to steal the narcotics!!
I hope someone there can answer my question. The Board of Nursing is a complete money maker and I am out of a job, except care giving, where I make nothing.I hope someone responds to me. Iíll drive to Harrisburg and meet with anyone! There should be a statute of limitationsÖÖI had no prior record and nothing since. There are statutes in criminal cases, why not this? I am oldÖ.64 and I cannot start over.
Sincerely,
mollystacy...this is just a money maker!!!
LilJ

Manchester Township, NJ

#1027 Dec 28, 2012
Someone might appreciate this.... I was a little bit of a bad kid... got an underage DWI at 17, and real DWI at 18, and again at 21. I went to 33 days of inpatient rehab.. attended 96 hours of IDRC, underwent 32 weeks of therapy, and attended a year's worth of state mandated AA meetings. All of this was to clear me through the STATE to get my driving license back which I've had since. Then I decide to turn my life around, focus on school... spent $30 on nursing school... never had an issue with my DRIVING record .... my criminal record is clean... pay $400 to sit for NCLEX... pass with flying colors... still no issue... then I think I'm home free... waiting for a license number and sitting for job interviews... and THEN the BON throws the RAMP referral at me. The only way I can describe the way this makes me feel is somewhat similar to being punched in the face. Worst case scenario is RAMP for years, random UA's .. daily check-in's with a case manager, more mandated AA... 90 in 90 to begin with... mandated "Peer Support" meetings weekly, outpatient therapy, psych evals, work restrictions if I can ever get a job under a supervisor who is okay with communicating with the board on my behalf on a monthly basis... no nights, no pain meds, you cannot float to other units which makes a hospital position completely out of the question...mind you I messed up years ago when I was a teenager and in a terribly dumb phase of my life. I NEVER EVEN HAD A NURSING LICENSE to screw up in the first place. They simply wont issue one to me until I jump threw the SAME hoops I've already mastered. The state already made me do this. Years ago. And I submitted all supporting documentation with my license application. So I suppose I have no choice but to do it again? I mean... I did it once....It's just depressing because I'm 25 now and I thought that this was all behind me. I feel like the BON isn't even giving me a chance. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks for letting me vent....:(
Fallin from Grace RN

Lubbock, TX

#1028 Dec 28, 2012
LilJ wrote:
Someone might appreciate this.... I was a little bit of a bad kid... got an underage DWI at 17, and real DWI at 18, and again at 21. I went to 33 days of inpatient rehab.. attended 96 hours of IDRC, underwent 32 weeks of therapy, and attended a year's worth of state mandated AA meetings. All of this was to clear me through the STATE to get my driving license back which I've had since. Then I decide to turn my life around, focus on school... spent $30 on nursing school... never had an issue with my DRIVING record .... my criminal record is clean... pay $400 to sit for NCLEX... pass with flying colors... still no issue... then I think I'm home free... waiting for a license number and sitting for job interviews... and THEN the BON throws the RAMP referral at me. The only way I can describe the way this makes me feel is somewhat similar to being punched in the face. Worst case scenario is RAMP for years, random UA's .. daily check-in's with a case manager, more mandated AA... 90 in 90 to begin with... mandated "Peer Support" meetings weekly, outpatient therapy, psych evals, work restrictions if I can ever get a job under a supervisor who is okay with communicating with the board on my behalf on a monthly basis... no nights, no pain meds, you cannot float to other units which makes a hospital position completely out of the question...mind you I messed up years ago when I was a teenager and in a terribly dumb phase of my life. I NEVER EVEN HAD A NURSING LICENSE to screw up in the first place. They simply wont issue one to me until I jump threw the SAME hoops I've already mastered. The state already made me do this. Years ago. And I submitted all supporting documentation with my license application. So I suppose I have no choice but to do it again? I mean... I did it once....It's just depressing because I'm 25 now and I thought that this was all behind me. I feel like the BON isn't even giving me a chance. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks for letting me vent....:(
Honey, I wish you had picked another profession. I am sorry this is happening to you, we are suppose to be a society of second chances, not if you want to be a nurse. You spent a lot of time, money, and tears to get this far so I always recommend doing the BON' diversion. BUT that being said, if I were your age I would consider going back to college and doing something else. I would jump thru the hoops to keep my license but acknowledge most people aren't "pure" enough to be a nurse.....the most random thing can happen in your life and you can end up in front of the BON again. They have become worse than Big Brother and I would strive to get away from their control my entire working career. Keep in mind once you wear the mark of Cain from the nursing board they destroy your ability to use any or all of the education you have....SO PLEASE take me seriously and use your RN to become something else unrelated to the BON's control. AND do NOT attempt to negotiate with the BON on your own. They will manipulate anything and everything you say in your attempt to be honest, get an attorney who has experience defending nurses in front of the BON. Good Luck
Cookie

Sacramento, CA

#1029 Dec 28, 2012
On the RN Guardian webpage is an interesting article "Current trends with the BRN and the BVNPT and hope for nurses applying for and renewing a license" Per the article six years ago both boards had no problem approving applications and renewal of licenses with prior DUIs now they are being denied. This just happens to coincide with the down turn in the economy. Since most boards receive their revenue from licensing and fines, is it any wonder they are doing this to justify their existence. Although the RN guardian is California based, I am sure this trend has been picked up by other States, what better way to fatten the coffers by fining Nurses, after all they pretty much have us by the balls.
Karen

Scranton, PA

#1030 Dec 31, 2012
I just received a letter from an attorney stating that my LPN license will be on probation for 6 months because of a facebook post I made 2 years ago voicing frustrations about my home health case but never posted any identifying information, I got fired from that job and since have held my current job in home health for 1 1/2 years, will this job fire me when my license starts it's probation? The paper tells me I have to do 30 hours of CEU credits and this will all be discharged and not on my record as long as I work out the conditions of the probation period and if I dont suspension of my license could be the next step. I don;'t think what I did deserves this punishment but I am willing to work it out and have learned a valuable lesson about facebooking. But, again does anyone have any ideas if my current job will fire me? They knew upon hire I was fired from this other employee becsause I told them. Please help!!!
JFG123

Ballwin, MO

#1031 Jan 1, 2013
I live in Texas and the BON here is just as bad... Because of 2 minor in possession of alcohol charges (class C misdaminors) that I got when I was 17 & 18 years old, I am now under investigation, have an attorney, and must submit to a chemical dependancy evaluation. I graduated in May 2012 and am not eligible to sit for my boards. I have epilepsy (controlled by medication) and I do not even drink any more. To go through nursing school and work so hard for your BSN just to be told you can't practice because of a mistake you made as a teenager? Ridiculous... I graduated with a 3.89 in the top 10% of the entire university. My attorney believes that I will successfully be able to obtain my license, thank God. But it should have never gotten to this point. One less successfull, passionate, caring, companionate and safe nurse they have just waiting. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. The power of the government never ceases to amaze me. However, remembering that God is always ultimately in control is the only thing that has helped me stay sane through all of this. A nurse knows best: there is hope to be found in every situation...
Cookie

Sacramento, CA

#1032 Jan 1, 2013
Karen wrote:
I just received a letter from an attorney stating that my LPN license will be on probation for 6 months because of a facebook post I made 2 years ago voicing frustrations about my home health case but never posted any identifying information, I got fired from that job and since have held my current job in home health for 1 1/2 years, will this job fire me when my license starts it's probation? The paper tells me I have to do 30 hours of CEU credits and this will all be discharged and not on my record as long as I work out the conditions of the probation period and if I dont suspension of my license could be the next step. I don;'t think what I did deserves this punishment but I am willing to work it out and have learned a valuable lesson about facebooking. But, again does anyone have any ideas if my current
job will fire me? They knew upon hire I was fired from this other employee becsause I told them. Please help!!!
This is rather odd that an attorney would be contacting you and not the Board of Nursing. To my knowledge when the BON is investigating this is not public information it is only after an accusation is filed that it is public. You should go online and check the status of your license. Unless you personally retained this attorney, they should not be soliciting you for business. I would also check out this attorney as something does not seem right. You should have received something from the BON and not from a attorney. I would look in to this matter before doing business with this attorney, I don't believe the BON would have referred this matter to an attorney, but would deal directly with you.
Karen

Scranton, PA

#1033 Jan 1, 2013
Cookie wrote:
<quoted text>
This is rather odd that an attorney would be contacting you and not the Board of Nursing. To my knowledge when the BON is investigating this is not public information it is only after an accusation is filed that it is public. You should go online and check the status of your license. Unless you personally retained this attorney, they should not be soliciting you for business. I would also check out this attorney as something does not seem right. You should have received something from the BON and not from a attorney. I would look in to this matter before doing business with this attorney, I don't believe the BON would have referred this matter to an attorney, but would deal directly with you.
I am in Pennsylvania and the atty represents the board, commonwealth of pa lawyer, They are not representing me at all, just the state of PA, I guess the PERC program they said I could accept places me on probation for 6 months until I do the 30 hours of CEU's about facebook, etc. I guess it is supposed to be a learning tool. I just am concerned during my probation my present employee might fire me, the incident in question, in my opinion, was so minor compared to some of the other posts I have been reading and since I didnt violate HIPPA they are calling it willful misconduct. But being apart of this has been terrifying to me and I am so depressed over this. I just thought someone out there might know PA nursing law that involves this program. Thanks for responding, though, I should have made it clear the atty represents the board.
Cookie

Sacramento, CA

#1034 Jan 1, 2013
Karen wrote:
<quoted text> I am in Pennsylvania and the atty represents the board, commonwealth of pa lawyer, They are not representing me at all, just the state of PA, I guess the PERC program they said I could accept places me on probation for 6 months until I do the 30 hours of CEU's about facebook, etc. I guess it is supposed to be a learning tool. I just am concerned during my probation my present employee might fire me, the incident in question, in my opinion, was so minor compared to some of the other posts I have been reading and since I didnt violate HIPPA they are calling it willful misconduct. But being apart of this has been terrifying to me and I am so depressed over this. I just thought someone out there might know PA nursing law that involves this program. Thanks for responding, though, I should have made it clear the atty represents the board.
I don't know about Pennsylvania but in here in California I knew a LVN who was on probation and was allowed to work, but the employer had to fill out a form in regards to job performance and submit it to the Board. I agree with you that this is such a minor indiscretion considering that most Nurses are brought up on substance abuse charges. I hope that everything goes well for you, and you probably can go on line and look up information on the program. It is unfortunate that they consider this willful misconduct especially since you did not violate any HIPPA laws, I guess nurses are not entitled to their opinions. I can only imagine what the BON's would do to nurses if they read some of these posts on this forum. Good luck and wishing you the best.
Indiana Nurse

Sheldon, IL

#1035 Jan 2, 2013
I would agree with Cookie, go on line and look up the PERC program. Also suggest you speak with your employer. In Indiana they have paper work to fill out on your behalf and part of that paper work says they are aware of the charges the state has filed against you. I do not know Penn. rules but in Indiana 6 mths is 6 mths there is no either or. I had no idea how many of my civil rights I surrendered when I obtained a Nursing License. Even after probation, my license will forvere say,"past disiplinary action received". Good luck and God Bless!
Susan

Norristown, PA

#1036 Jan 2, 2013
I am in PA and I don't know if this will get to you correctly. I had one and only one DUI but the board didn't take my license for almost 4 years!! I must have been a real threat!! There should be some protection for us, a nationwide union would be good. We pay to join and our funds help other nurses who need representation. I need help and can't pay it!! If someone is drunk on the job or taking a patient's meds, that to me is different. I was on my own time, not on call, just out looking for a man with a bunch of other women. Didn't find a man, but found a cop!!
Could we possibly start a union for nurses to have protection? If we just had a $10.00/year membership, we'd have lots of money! Let me know what you think!! susand3238@gmail.com
menofbusiness wrote:
I went with a friend to the board of nursing and i was just shocked that most nurses didnt have an representation but nursing board had a lawyer there. But most nurses didnt know that this lawyer was not there to help them but to throw them under the bus and make them jump through hoops to get there license back . This angers me and i would like to start a union for nurses and make sure this doesnt happen to no more good nurse or doctors and the board of nursing will have to pay with a class action law suit and if alot of nurses and doctors have been wrongfully accussed without representation then we will have a good case and a good shot at making a difference i know that nurses jobs are very hard jobs to follow and very hard to quit after you have been doing this job for months and years after education and work experience, lets make a change for a diffence message me and lets get this started .
UpcomingCNA

Blair, NE

#1037 Jan 2, 2013
I stumbled on this website, and was wondering if someone could help me. I'm working towards my CNA and hopefully my RN. After reading these posts I foresee a possible problem when I was 15 I tried to kill myself, by overdosing on my own medication. I lived overseas at the time and went to a overseas hospital and psychward for treatment. Could this come up as a problem for me getting my liscence?
Fallin from Grace RN

Lubbock, TX

#1038 Jan 2, 2013
UpcomingCNA wrote:
I stumbled on this website, and was wondering if someone could help me. I'm working towards my CNA and hopefully my RN. After reading these posts I foresee a possible problem when I was 15 I tried to kill myself, by overdosing on my own medication. I lived overseas at the time and went to a overseas hospital and psychward for treatment. Could this come up as a problem for me getting my liscence?
Hard to believe the BON can find out about something that happened out of the USA BUT remember there are no guarantees. I'd find another profession NOT just because of the BON BUT because it is a lousy profession. I wouldn't waste any time or effort in college pursuing a nursing degree when there are so many other careers to pick. I always loved direct patient care but things like back stress/injury, standing all day, psycho doctors, cost containment, patient loads, hospital transmitted diseases, all while BIG Brother is watching you just makes it a lousy career to pursue. I know a lot of nurses and NOT ONE would stay in nursing if they could get out and make the same money elsewhere. Just go
elsewhere: first. Good luck.
x-factor

Beattyville, KY

#1039 Jan 3, 2013
Cookie wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems absurd a youthful issue, now evidenced to be behind you, is holding you back. Hang in there. You may have to jump hoops, but don't quit!
aznurse123

Phoenix, AZ

#1040 Jan 3, 2013
x-factor wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems absurd a youthful issue, now evidenced to be behind you, is holding you back. Hang in there. You may have to jump hoops, but don't quit!
I have found that the BON does not seem to advocate for their own profession. It appears to be a power thing. If someone is in "trouble" they yank your license for YEARS, then when you come back, crawling, beaten, bankrupt, sometimes foreclosed on because of finances, they THEN punish you for the thing they took your license for! ABSURD! I would be afraid to get a lawyer to help. Afraid of vindication. Why can't a nurse feel comfortable going to their superior & sharing their struggle without the fear (reality) of being sent to the slaughter? I get that it is a public health protection, but there HAS to be a more effective way other than pulling you OUT of an ever-changing profession. copies of my revocation were floating around EVERYWHERE thanks to a vindictive nurse who didn't like me. I think that should be a punishable act. "oh no," they said, "it is public information" Well how many of your colleagues are going to go online to dig up dirt about you? There should be a libel or slander offense chargeable for that. I am not confrontational, not resentful, just so disillusioned and sad that what I THOUGHT was an admirable profession can kick you in the knees and make you feel that you fell because you were too weak, not because they kicked you. Very frustrating, also--get a pricey lawyer, do the whole thing exactly right, then the Board can STILL do whatever they want. We should somehow find a way to be a group, supported by ourselves, and support other nurses who are truly not the monsters portrayed online. Also why can you do something "really horrible" then continue to practice for YEARS before they get to your case and THEN get set up the sentencing? I don't get it. It will take all of us, sticking up for each other,(no, not sticking up for the addicts, and the thieves,blah blah), but the nurses who have suffered an incident in their life and did get a dwi, or did get dependent on pain meds after a major surgery. Martyr was not in the job description last time I checked.
x-factor

Beattyville, KY

#1041 Jan 4, 2013
when I was in veterinary school, a very kind DVM anatomy professor told us "you are your brothers keeper, if you see a need, step in and do it!"

You seem wise and good, I am a 2nd career - long but no scandal - story - vet and phd turned medic now to be RN, and he was right; I had colleagues with problems and the thing that would have helped in that profession, just as nursing, is "seeing a need and stepping in". For those of us who do care and see a colleague who is wanting to change, why not? Don't we help 1000 patients by returning a good professional to work? Isn't that worth our time, just like treating one patient?????
Cookie

Sacramento, CA

#1042 Jan 4, 2013
x-factor wrote:
when I was in veterinary school, a very kind DVM anatomy professor told us "you are your brothers keeper, if you see a need, step in and do it!"
You seem wise and good, I am a 2nd career - long but no scandal - story - vet and phd turned medic now to be RN, and he was right; I had colleagues with problems and the thing that would have helped in that profession, just as nursing, is "seeing a need and stepping in". For those of us who do care and see a colleague who is wanting to change, why not? Don't we help 1000 patients by returning a good professional to work? Isn't that worth our time, just like treating one patient?????
Anyone with a PHD and who was a vet and now is embarking on a 2nd career as an RN is clueless and will be in for a big surprise. What you don't seem to understand that is once there is an accusation against your license it is almost impossible for a nurse to find employment. Most employers do not want to hire a nurse with restrictions on their license. If you are on probation they are not going to want to hire you. Accusations and discipline measures stay on your license forever and will follow you even if you met the terms and conditions imposed. Yes there are nurses that should have a license revoked, but if you got a DUI while on vacation this can be held against you. California is now going after nurses who have DUIs, previously this was not a problem and they issued renewals and licenses, now they are being denied. This is not so much to "protect the public" but is the BONs way of generating revenue and it is so successful that the CA BON has raised a quarter of a million dollars in the last year.
The Health Care Industry is big business and is more concerned with money and not so much patient care. Nurses are increasingly having to care for more patients with less resources. Time is money and patient loads have increased and Nurses have to squeeze 10 hours of work in to a 8 hour shift. Then anyone for any reason can file a complaint against your license. Nursing is such a stressful occupation is it any wonder that substance abuse is such a problem in this profession? Most nurses want to make a difference but the Health Care Industry makes this almost impossible if you don't agree with management then more than likely you will end up on the receiving end of the stick.
If you have any suggestions on how to improve or help this industry then say so, however I would do so with caution. Nurses who post on this forum do not use their names for good reason, fear of retaliation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tempe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
McCain appears ready for 2016 reelection bid 19 hr Hooogle It 8
looking for 30's (Mar '14) 20 hr miss lucy 13
Lyndell Cherry, 29, died at the scene Fri azF602 19
Nadaburg Unified district chief seeks to retire... (Oct '11) Oct 21 SandyWilliams 3
JOBS: 10 Valley companies hiring now Oct 21 SandyWilliams 4
Review: Tempe Powersports And Marine Oct 20 Adrian Guzman 2
Man changes plea to guilty in ASU frat brawl Oct 18 ha! 1
Tempe Dating
Find my Match

Tempe Jobs

Tempe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Tempe News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Tempe

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]