Taking Note: Arpaio to Arm Volunteers With Assault Rifles

Feb 1, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: FiveThirtyEight

There are plenty of good people in Arizona who have thoughtful, moderate views about guns and government.

Comments
21 - 40 of 194 Comments Last updated Feb 11, 2013

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Oh stfu, you reactionary moron. There are suicide bombings all the time over there. Usually it is a matter of small groups; there is no prior info, or such vague data that you'd have to keep a full military perimeter at all times--which is exctly the opposite of what diplomacy is about.

In this case, security worked--if someone approaches a guard and the guard stops them from proceeding, he's being competent. Unless we expect them to develop x-ray vision, they can't know the person is armed.

BTW--why don't you ask the GOP why they have been consistently cutting funding for the state department. That mmoney includes embassy protection.
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>SUICIDE BOMBING AT U.S. EMBASSY...
Eighth Embassy Attack During Clinton Reign...
HILLARY:'I've done what was possible to do'... I got away with murder again. Ask Vince Foster.
Says Benghazi massacre, murdered ambassador won't affect run for presidency...

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Gary wrote:
<quoted text>
As bad as they are, we have to be very happy
that they are not of the magnitude of the
Beirut attack when Reagan had the duty to defend them.
241 killed at the Marine barracks.
Two U.S. embassies overrun with a CIA station
wiped out and 17 agents killed.
I won't even mention how the Bush regime was
asleep at the switch when 9/11 happened. Even after
numerous "dire" warnins from the CIA.
My how quickly you deflect, and defraud. What next, what Washington did crossing the Delaware.

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Gary wrote:
<quoted text>
You bet! Some redneck, white trash, tea party moron like you.
Go away little whiner. If we need more crap from anybody, we'll call the White House.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

2

au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>So's Obama, but he couldn't pass one.
obama and osama both have friends that bombed the pentagon.

can you believe that the voters of this country, so soon after the first 9/11, would elect a muslim friendly political rookie, with a muslim middle name? what is this world coming to....

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

cpeter1313 wrote:
Oh stfu, you reactionary moron. There are suicide bombings all the time over there. Usually it is a matter of small groups; there is no prior info, or such vague data that you'd have to keep a full military perimeter at all times--which is exctly the opposite of what diplomacy is about.
In this case, security worked--if someone approaches a guard and the guard stops them from proceeding, he's being competent. Unless we expect them to develop x-ray vision, they can't know the person is armed.
BTW--why don't you ask the GOP why they have been consistently cutting funding for the state department. That mmoney includes embassy protection.
<quoted text>
So tell us, how long have you hated America and its constitution.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

It's only a matter of time before one of his "volunteers" goes nuts and slaughters a bunch of people.

Bad idea.

VERY bad idea.
Whatevea

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Keep up the great work Sherff Joe!
America Loves You!!!

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>So's Obama, but he couldn't pass one.
You just passed one. And it smells as bad as your others.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>So's Obama, but he couldn't pass one.
You can't pass an unzipped zipper in a men's bathroom.

No one is perfect, Dumbo.

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

WeTheSheeple wrote:
It's only a matter of time before one of his "volunteers" goes nuts and slaughters a bunch of people.
Bad idea.
VERY bad idea.
Do your part, volunteer, take one for the team.
Sheik Yerbouti

Chalfont, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Just more posturing by this loudmouthed lunatic. His specialty is publicity stunts like this! He has cost the citizens of maricopa county millions for abusing and murdering prisoners!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>Do your part, volunteer, take one for the team.
I already served my 20 years in the REAL military, not some pretend wannabe "posse".

Sheriff Arpaio will be guilty of murder when one of his nutjobs goes off the reservation and takes out a bunch of brown-skinned citizens.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

On the contrary--I hate fascists like arpaio and the idiotic gun cult mentality. This country can be better than that.
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>So tell us, how long have you hated America and its constitution.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Whatevea wrote:
Keep up the great work Sherff Joe!
America Loves You!!!
Not the intelligent part.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

In Switzerland, At about age 20, every Swiss male goes through 118 consecutive days of recruit training in the Rekrutenschule.

Even before required training begins, young men and women may take optional courses with the Swiss army's M57 assault rifle. They keep that gun at home for three months and receive six half-day training sessions.

From age 21 to 32, a Swiss man serves as a "frontline" troop in the Auszug, and devotes three weeks a year (in eight of the 12 years) to continued training. From age 33 to 42, he serves in the Landwehr; every few years, he reports for two-week training periods. Finally, from ages 43, to 50, he serves in the Landsturm; in this period, he only spends 13 days total in "home guard courses".

Over a soldier's career he also spends scattered days on mandatory equipment inspections and required target practice. Thus, in a 30-year mandatory military career, a Swiss man only spends about one year in direct military service. Following discharge from the regular army, men serve on reserve status until age 50.

Can't recall ever hearing of someone there going off their rocker and going on a killing spree, so obviously, it isn't the guns. That leaves the culture, which here has been on a down hill slide ever since the advent of the Great Society program.

As usual, whenever something bad happens, the first thing liberals want to do is punish the law abiding citizens, place the burden on them, instead of addressing the real issue and dealing with it.

Guns, drunk drivers, welfare fraud, illegal immigration, home invasions .... blame the victims, put the burden on them, coddle the criminals. That's our culture.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

When was the last time the swiss had to engage in combat? The coutry is hardly a model of a perfect society; it's highly regimented and repressive.

Funny how this is somehow relevant, but when the gun-controlled England's gun violence is shown to be a fraction of ours, it's irrelevant.
Bama Yankee wrote:
In Switzerland, At about age 20, every Swiss male goes through 118 consecutive days of recruit training in the Rekrutenschule.
Even before required training begins, young men and women may take optional courses with the Swiss army's M57 assault rifle. They keep that gun at home for three months and receive six half-day training sessions.
From age 21 to 32, a Swiss man serves as a "frontline" troop in the Auszug, and devotes three weeks a year (in eight of the 12 years) to continued training. From age 33 to 42, he serves in the Landwehr; every few years, he reports for two-week training periods. Finally, from ages 43, to 50, he serves in the Landsturm; in this period, he only spends 13 days total in "home guard courses".
Over a soldier's career he also spends scattered days on mandatory equipment inspections and required target practice. Thus, in a 30-year mandatory military career, a Swiss man only spends about one year in direct military service. Following discharge from the regular army, men serve on reserve status until age 50.
Can't recall ever hearing of someone there going off their rocker and going on a killing spree, so obviously, it isn't the guns. That leaves the culture, which here has been on a down hill slide ever since the advent of the Great Society program.
As usual, whenever something bad happens, the first thing liberals want to do is punish the law abiding citizens, place the burden on them, instead of addressing the real issue and dealing with it.
Guns, drunk drivers, welfare fraud, illegal immigration, home invasions .... blame the victims, put the burden on them, coddle the criminals. That's our culture.
Cat74

Mchenry, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Since the President announced his plan to control gun ownership almost every family in the country has purchased at least one additional gun. They aren't giving them up.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Oh, BS; nowhere near that many people have bought extra guns.
Cat74 wrote:
Since the President announced his plan to control gun ownership almost every family in the country has purchased at least one additional gun. They aren't giving them up.
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Cat74 wrote:
Since the President announced his plan to control gun ownership almost every family in the country has purchased at least one additional gun. They aren't giving them up.
Who made a proposal for citizens to give up their guns? When did this occur?

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Feb 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

cpeter1313 wrote:
Oh, BS; nowhere near that many people have bought extra guns.
<quoted text>
Cat74 just makes things up. The little bloviating dear must not be taken too seriously.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Excessive Heat Warning for Maricopa County was issued at July 31 at 4:48AM MST

•••
•••
•••
•••

Tempe Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Tempe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Tempe News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Tempe
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••