Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
143,721 - 143,740 of 200,597 Comments Last updated 5 hrs ago
Winston Smith

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
The only issue/concern I see with the tossing of DADT is the effect it will have on housing.
We know that homosexuals have served honorably for, well, forever. So one is hard pressed to find any reason why one shouldn't (corrected in accordance with your subsequent posted) be allowed to serve openly.
The only part which concerned me was the housing of troops. In Basic there are many troops housed in open bays together. In that situation we separate male from female for obvious reasons. We do the same in the dormitories and tents.
This was simple when gender was the only issue, as sexual orientation was assumed- albeit foolishly. The answer isn't as simple when we are dealing with homosexuality. How should they be segregated? Or should they?
I don't really know the answer to this question, and one could say since there have been no issues, publicly at least, that it is a non-issue. But I am not so sure that the lack of issues doesn't have more to do with homosexuals self-employing their own DADT policy?
But I do agree that sexual harassment occurs in both the heterosexual and homosexual community, and is not an argument either for or against this policy. But it did seem simpler when the answer was simply the separation of the sexes, which could be employed to at least attempt to quell and head off the issue before it occurred.
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
In my opinion, there is no need for separate berthing just because someone is Gay or Lesbian......that would be the same thing as when we separated troops based solely on skin color.
Gay men and straight men should be grown-up enough to handle the situation, besides.....it's not like Gay men are attracted or will hit on straight men and if straight men think they will, well, they shouldn't flatter themselves!!!
AK, NorCal Native sums up my feelings quite nicely, but if I may elaborate.

The comparison to skin color is valid as there was a time when whites didn't want to serve along side blacks and this was SOP. It wasn't rational (sadly it is a feeling that persists in some/many individuals). Likewise there are those in the military that don't want to serve with homosexuals. These feelings are based upon irrational thoughts. One of the yammering idiots in here brings up rape. I can just see that one in an open barrack. I wouldn't think that the percentages would change in the service as compared to the general population. That means, depending upon what you believe, 2 to 10% of the military is gay. This ought to be a fairly constant rate all the way down to a single barrack. Soooo, 2% are going to launch an assault on 98% in an open barrack. I seriously have my doubts about any sort of assault going in that direction. OTOH, it isn't unreasonable to think that a gay man might get the shxt beat out of him under those same numbers.

All that said, it is a hurdle that needs jumping. Eventually we'll get there, but it'll probably involve a few bloody noses.
TunaCharlie

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Haven't had chance to throw this topic overboard yet.
LYIN AYN RYAN

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Mike DiRucci wrote:
<quoted text>
I assume someone with the name "Lyin Ayn Ryan" is female, silly me.
You assume you know all about my politics based on my sympathy for American citizens killed in Libya. That's dumb.
you should not assume so much.

lyin ryan is a nickname for paul ryan.

and I interjected his hero, ayn rand into it.

it fits too! kinda rolls right off the tongue.

sometimes i call romney-ryan, romney/rand

because if you dont know who paul ryan is?? but DO know who ayn rand is??

you can see the connection better.
and understand where he is coming from.

Ive heard what you have to say on the bengazi incident...

now lets hear where you stand on the last decade of US foriegn policy in the middle east..??...... you know the rest of the countries over there??

im not assuming anything now, im just giving you the opportunity to explain your positions........ on iran, the wars in iraq and afghanistan and of course syria.
Winston Smith

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Mike DiRucci wrote:
<quoted text>
I assume someone with the name "Lyin Ayn Ryan" is female, silly me.
You assume you know all about my politics based on my sympathy for American citizens killed in Libya. That's dumb.
You assume someone is a woman based upon a name that they adopt for a topix forum? Some folks actually put a little thought into their handles when they choose them. I'm surprised you haven't got a grasp of the guy's forum name as of yet. I'll give you a hint. Google is your friend and the search terms you want are Ayn Rand and Paul Ryan. The irony in Ryan's affections for Rand's philosophy is hilarious. He's had a turn of thought recently. I suppose it took him a while to get a grasp of Rand's religious belief.

So, instead of using your noggin in order to figure out why he'd use the name he chose you made an assumption. That's dumb.
Olive

Berkeley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Has it occurred to every gay, lesbian, transsexual who advocate for same sex marriage - you wouldn't even had existed if your Dad mated with a man or your Mom mated with a woman. Until the day humans defy God by creating mankind with 2 sperms or 2 ovums, do same sex marriage and u can adopt another straight family's child, but mind you - this will be the beginning of a dwindling human count in the next thousand millennia. Our founding fathers sure didn't have this type of marriage in mind when they wrote the Constitution. Right federal judge?
RiccardoFire

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

LYIN AYN RYAN wrote:
<quoted text>
you should not assume so much.
lyin ryan is a nickname for paul ryan.
YOu should grow up, you sound like an immature rat on government assistance. So proud of making up a nickname. I never see any links to back up the stuff you make up. You need to post one thing at a time and back it up instead of posting crap off you mind. This is not twitter.
LYIN AYN RYAN

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Winston Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
AK, NorCal Native sums up my feelings quite nicely, but if I may elaborate.
The comparison to skin color is valid as there was a time when whites didn't want to serve along side blacks and this was SOP. It wasn't rational (sadly it is a feeling that persists in some/many individuals). Likewise there are those in the military that don't want to serve with homosexuals. These feelings are based upon irrational thoughts. One of the yammering idiots in here brings up rape. I can just see that one in an open barrack. I wouldn't think that the percentages would change in the service as compared to the general population. That means, depending upon what you believe, 2 to 10% of the military is gay. This ought to be a fairly constant rate all the way down to a single barrack. Soooo, 2% are going to launch an assault on 98% in an open barrack. I seriously have my doubts about any sort of assault going in that direction. OTOH, it isn't unreasonable to think that a gay man might get the shxt beat out of him under those same numbers.
All that said, it is a hurdle that needs jumping. Eventually we'll get there, but it'll probably involve a few bloody noses.
is rape not an issue in the miltary?? there are way more men...

not in the barracks(so much), but out on training missions??

I remember the descrpition of a girl friend who went through basic(for the navy) in about 02'......she described it as all the guys in the plattoon wanting to have sex with just 4 girls.

the girls had to work extra hard to pass basic, while fending off advances, daily, by their male comrades.

rape is indeed a big problem...

dont you remember the air force acedemy scandal??? why that was only a few years ago.

It has been over a year, since president Obama finally BOWED to political pressure and scrapped DADT.

I havent heard of any bloody noses......

have you??
i figure any real altercations would be highly publicized by right wing journals...
peace
Winston Smith

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>

Your blissful and deliberate ignorance is putting the US at risk and makes you a traitor.
Christonabike! More hallucinations rising from the far right crack house. Again, there is not too far of a stretch to compare these "concerns" with the fears that existed during the birth of this nation regarding blacks in the military. Try some rationality on for a change.
LYIN AYN RYAN

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Winston Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
You assume someone is a woman based upon a name that they adopt for a topix forum? Some folks actually put a little thought into their handles when they choose them. I'm surprised you haven't got a grasp of the guy's forum name as of yet. I'll give you a hint. Google is your friend and the search terms you want are Ayn Rand and Paul Ryan. The irony in Ryan's affections for Rand's philosophy is hilarious. He's had a turn of thought recently. I suppose it took him a while to get a grasp of Rand's religious belief.
So, instead of using your noggin in order to figure out why he'd use the name he chose you made an assumption. That's dumb.
he flipped on ayn, when his pollsters told him he had NO chance of becoming VP with that kind of baggage in tow.

rand was SUPER anti-religious??

like goldwater..

the right has its assorted odd cases.

some of them have become folk heros...

some are kinda heros to the middle left, like bill buckley....

only because bill would scoff at the current NEW, NEW, FAR, FAR right republican philosophy....
Winston Smith

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Olive wrote:
Has it occurred to every gay, lesbian, transsexual who advocate for same sex marriage - you wouldn't even had existed if your Dad mated with a man or your Mom mated with a woman. Until the day humans defy God by creating mankind with 2 sperms or 2 ovums, do same sex marriage and u can adopt another straight family's child, but mind you - this will be the beginning of a dwindling human count in the next thousand millennia. Our founding fathers sure didn't have this type of marriage in mind when they wrote the Constitution. Right federal judge?
Thank you for the grade school level biology review sprinkled with religious BS. I'll give you a statement of fact to chew on. A portion of the population is gay. BFD!
LYIN AYN RYAN

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Olive wrote:
it had occured to them....

but they found their adversion to opposite sex relationships overwhelming any need to conform to such silly norms...

we have way too many babies on the planet already....

that is why we on the left, also support birth control, and a womens right to choose.........lets take care of the rights of the living , before we start giving personhodd rights to zygots.
Winston Smith

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

LYIN AYN RYAN wrote:
<quoted text>
is rape not an issue in the miltary?? there are way more men...
not in the barracks(so much), but out on training missions??
I remember the descrpition of a girl friend who went through basic(for the navy) in about 02'......she described it as all the guys in the plattoon wanting to have sex with just 4 girls.
the girls had to work extra hard to pass basic, while fending off advances, daily, by their male comrades.
rape is indeed a big problem...
dont you remember the air force acedemy scandal??? why that was only a few years ago.
It has been over a year, since president Obama finally BOWED to political pressure and scrapped DADT.
I havent heard of any bloody noses......
have you??
i figure any real altercations would be highly publicized by right wing journals...
peace
I am aware that rapes occur in the military. The presence of homosexuals (in the light of day) has no bearing on that. Which is my point in a round about fashion. By bloody noses I'm speaking figuratively about the reactions that will occur when you mix openly gay soldiers with homophobes. There will be unhappiness, just as there was when blacks gained access to front line roles in the military (and then lost them, regained them, lost them...).
Winston Smith

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

LYIN AYN RYAN wrote:
<quoted text>
it had occured to them....
but they found their adversion to opposite sex relationships overwhelming any need to conform to such silly norms...
we have way too many babies on the planet already....
that is why we on the left, also support birth control, and a womens right to choose.........lets take care of the rights of the living , before we start giving personhodd rights to zygots.
I say we give personhood to gametes. And vigorously prosecute, as mass murderers, anyone that masturbates..
LYIN AYN RYAN

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>But you like joe Biden and Hillary Clinton, they both voted for the Iraq war. Here are some more YEA votes: Baucus (MT) Bayh (IN) Biden (DE) Breaux (LA)Cantwell (WA) Carnahan (MO) Carper (DE) Cleland (GA) Clinton (NY) Daschle (SD) Dodd (CT) Dorgan (ND) Edwards (NC) Feinstein (CA) Harkin (IA) Hollings (SC) Johnson (SD) Kerry (MA) Kohl (WI) Landrieu (LA) Lieberman (CT) Lincoln (AR) Miller (GA) Nelson (FL) Nelson (NE) Reid (NV) Rockefeller (WV) Schumer (NY) Torricelli (NJ)
Obama doesn't bother with his intelligence briefings. If he had, he might have noticed that 48 hours before the attack there were credible reports of an attack, according to news stories.
The Marines on guard were unarmed -- another Obama administration policy, so as not to offend the barbarians who want to murder as many Jews and Americans as they can.
The Libyan guards entrusted to protect our diplomats apparently were in on the plot, and ran when the shooting started.
It was also clear that the barbarians knew the location of a safe house for our diplomats.
All of it was timed for Sept. 11.
The cover story was supposed outrage over some goofy movie. That just doesn't fit the facts.
The mobs burned and looted the building, taking secret documents that may expose Libyans who have helped America, and other vital information, to our enemies.
Afterward, a confused Obama, trying to bluster his way through, said Egypt was not our ally, which his own State Department had to "clarify." They are.
This Keystone Kops performance would be funny if it were not for the lives lost.
good come back riccaro....

I like howe your learning to become a better debator by sticking with me.
I too was disgusted at how much support there was in the democratic party for the war vote. shame on them.

That is why I supported Obama over clinton in 08'

it is pathetic!! every election I voted in from 88' to 04, had either a bush or a clinton on the ticket......

that was another reason why barack edge clinton out, our party didnt want a modern dynasty....like yours had.

lets just say that didnt turn out to well for the republican party!

like where was poppy and dubya come convention time.?

it is a huge advantage that the democrats have now.....

bill clinton.

on Iraq??? it was a needless fabricated war that left 100000 dead.

I dont think al gore would have gone in....

you see where all that patriotic bluster went!!

80% of americans now want afghnaistan to end.

quick mission to kill wanted terrorists..... good!!

long protracted quagmire to get oil feilds???...... bad.

ryan chose war last week.

ill stick with the party and candidate that is willing to negociate.

with regards to war and foriegn policy??

I felt like the adults took back over on 1/20/09.

it used to be republicans would rescue democratic presidents from unwanted wars???
now it appears to be the opposite!!
the republicans started two wars that the democrats are now ending!!

good!!

it is about time!

ps: mabey you can explain further some of romneys positions on afghanistan and IRan......all Ive been hearing about is Libya??

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Since: Sep 12

Canarsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Winston Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said toots, silly me thought you were a girl since you gave yourself a girl's name. The rest of your nonsense is way off topic.

I see a girl's name I assume you're a girl. You see I have sympathy for Americans tortured and killed abroad you assume I'm a right winger voting for Romney/Ryan. Who is dumber?
LYIN AYN RYAN

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Winston Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I say we give personhood to gametes. And vigorously prosecute, as mass murderers, anyone that masturbates..
that reminds me of......monty python

every sperm is sacred!!
LYIN AYN RYAN

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Winston Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I am aware that rapes occur in the military. The presence of homosexuals (in the light of day) has no bearing on that. Which is my point in a round about fashion. By bloody noses I'm speaking figuratively about the reactions that will occur when you mix openly gay soldiers with homophobes. There will be unhappiness, just as there was when blacks gained access to front line roles in the military (and then lost them, regained them, lost them...).
I just have not heard of any incidents like that in 13 months??

have you?

I think the troops are doing well with it so far....

it is just like civilian life....if you dont have something nice to say??? dont say anything(not you)

you get what I mean??
LYIN AYN RYAN

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

R Hudson wrote:
Guess who ?
bigot!
LYIN AYN RYAN

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Mike DiRucci wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said toots, silly me thought you were a girl since you gave yourself a girl's name. The rest of your nonsense is way off topic.
I see a girl's name I assume you're a girl. You see I have sympathy for Americans tortured and killed abroad you assume I'm a right winger voting for Romney/Ryan. Who is dumber?
dont get the posters mixed up mikey.

winston and I have differeing veiws.

I know you made a mistake right??

no one could mistake "winston" for girl.

so how about those veiws on the rest of the REAL hot spots?? like afghanistan?
let us know where you stand.....

the bengazi thing is just getting old, and it sounds alot like a pre-programmed talking point. so typically republican!!
RiccardoFire

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

LYIN AYN RYAN wrote:
<quoted text>
good come back riccaro....
I like howe your learning to become a better debator by sticking with me.
I too was disgusted at how much support there was in the democratic party for the war vote. shame on them.
That is why I supported Obama over clinton in 08'
it is pathetic!! every election I voted in from 88' to 04, had either a bush or a clinton on the ticket......
that was another reason why barack edge clinton out, our party didnt want a modern dynasty....like yours had.
lets just say that didnt turn out to well for the republican party!
like where was poppy and dubya come convention time.?
it is a huge advantage that the democrats have now.....
bill clinton.
on Iraq??? it was a needless fabricated war that left 100000 dead.
I dont think al gore would have gone in....
you see where all that patriotic bluster went!!
80% of americans now want afghnaistan to end.
quick mission to kill wanted terrorists..... good!!
long protracted quagmire to get oil feilds???...... bad.
ryan chose war last week.
ill stick with the party and candidate that is willing to negociate.
with regards to war and foriegn policy??
I felt like the adults took back over on 1/20/09.
it used to be republicans would rescue democratic presidents from unwanted wars???
now it appears to be the opposite!!
the republicans started two wars that the democrats are now ending!!
good!!
it is about time!
ps: mabey you can explain further some of romneys positions on afghanistan and IRan......all Ive been hearing about is Libya??
But all you do is blame bush, my point was it wasn't just bush and now look at the position Hillary is in, she is a war monger. Obama's Senate voting record on Iraq is quite similar to that of Hillary Clinton. Both senators waited until May 2007 before they finally voted to cut off funds for the war, on the grounds that the administration had not agreed to a firm timetable for withdrawal. They both voted against a June 2006 amendment proposed by John Kerry (D-Mass.) for the redeployment of U.S. troops. Once the war started Obama voted to cut military.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Temecula News Video

•••
•••

Temecula Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Temecula People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Temecula News, Events & Info