moving to temecula?
maxine fogarty

Tilton, NH

#83 Dec 4, 2009
my husband and i are thinking about move in the temecula area. i have been reading alot about the city. what i hear over and over again is about the lack of respect and the awful driving, and what about this mall i keep hearing about. if we do move there i will not be going to the mall, not so much. i don't realy hear about the school or is it drug infetive should i be worried about my teen. we come from a little, little town in nh, does anyone have any advise for me. should we move here or not. we don't have the money to buy a 500,000 house. i've looked on line what about the 100,000 house? bad nieborhood let me know thanks
nikki

Temecula, CA

#84 Dec 5, 2009
Oh please, my family has been here for a hundred years, and although it may not be the blacksmith shops and schoolhouse it used to be, it's a great place to raise a family. To each his own, there is no "Mayberry" anymore, lets get real everywhere has crime. I just did a report on Chicago and they rank one of the worst in the US. I think it was 1 in 83 chance of being a victim of a crime. Temecula/Murrieta is a fraction of that. Plus with the downturned economy one could buy/rent a home in an established neighborhood with strict HOA's and really reep the benefits. I have traveled the states extensively and wouldn't take my daughter anywhere else (except Stillwater, MN if they didn't have that snow stuff).
BURNS

Calabasas, CA

#85 Dec 5, 2009
maxine fogarty wrote:
my husband and i are thinking about move in the temecula area. i have been reading alot about the city. what i hear over and over again is about the lack of respect and the awful driving, and what about this mall i keep hearing about. if we do move there i will not be going to the mall, not so much. i don't realy hear about the school or is it drug infetive should i be worried about my teen. we come from a little, little town in nh, does anyone have any advise for me. should we move here or not. we don't have the money to buy a 500,000 house. i've looked on line what about the 100,000 house? bad nieborhood let me know thanks
check out datacity.com . texas is the place to move to. no taxes on income and better chances of getting a job. forget california, this state is broke and more people and companies are fleeing here by the thousands.
another transplant

Temecula, CA

#86 Dec 31, 2009
Well I am not living on my own in Temecula because I got the hell out of there to go to college, so those parents with teenage kids can gain some different insight. I moved to Temecula at the beginning of Junior year of high school from Indiana. The weather in Indiana can be bad and it can be boring so I figured this would be better. I was so wrong.
First of all, and I think anyone from outside this region would agree with me, people just act differently here. Many of the people here are idiots. I mean I was in high school, and I did some stupid things before switching schools, but walking around that school made me feel like the only one with an IQ above 70. Cliques dominated, and material things decided how they were formed. If you have teenagers moving here from other places, prepare to have them mold to how people dress and act here if they want to fit in. I've seen this happen with a lot of people that came from out of state. The people that didn't change their appearance were the ones ignored. It seemed like everyone drove like idiots and tried desperately hard to fit a cool image. The personalities are just so much different from those in the midwest. The sense of humor is so different, the way people talk is so different, and basically the way people act is just different.
There is absolutely nothing fun to do here if you are not old enough to go to the wineries. Sure, there's a mall and a theater. That's why there's always teen cliques hanging around the mall, because there is NO WHERE else to go. I guess if you donÂ’ want to shop, you could always get some sick tats and get a dirtbike. That seems to be a cool thing to do.
One thing that maybe bothers me the most is the weather (which might confuse people that would love warmth all year round). The weather here gets so monotonous sometimes I couldn't tell what season it was, or was supposed to be. It goes from really hot, to hot, to not quite as hot in the winter. It really makes you miss having four seasons (I know this is where you say "enjoy shoveling the snow"). I personally would rather shovel snow in single digit weather than be bored in this culture-less hellhole with virtually no change in scenery.
All in all, I just didn't enjoy Temecula, but that's just me. Whenever I come home on breaks from school I just count the days until I go back. Might as well, unless I have shopping to do I'm usually bored out of my mind.
dogsout

Calabasas, CA

#88 Jan 1, 2010
midwest people rock. I also came from the midwest, where people are real. out here people are self centered and ignorant. I wish I could someday move back to the midwest.
Jerry - Bend Oregon

Bend, OR

#90 Jan 29, 2010
Does not sound like you would be happy wherever you lived.
Transplant wrote:
PART 1 of 2:
I would not suggest moving to Temecula, Murrieta, or any of the surrounding areas if you can help it. If you want to relocate to southern Cal stick to the coasts (if you can somehow afford it)- or perhaps drop the idea altogether. I am a Chicago suburb transplant myself, and I have been utterly amazed (in a negative way) by what I've experienced since making the move out to the Murrieta/Temecula area myself two years ago.
To put it bluntly, it seems like the majority of the population in and around this area are just plain selfish, rude, obnoxious, wasteful, and disrespectful to an extreme.
The most obvious reflection of this is how (and what) people drive around here. I used to drive to downtown Chicago nearly every day and never saw so much wreckless, rude, disrespectful, and foolish driving as I have here in the last 2 years. It appears that the speed limit around here is a complete joke - people routinely drive dangerously over the 70 mph speed limit, usually 20-30 miles or more over, unless the traffic is so backed up as to force them to slow down. This extends to regular city streets as well. Signaling is apparently optional too, as people change lanes and make turns all the time without using them. They also like to drive about 4-6 feet behind you going about 90mph - prepare to be rear-ended (or perhaps killed) if you need to stop suddenly for any reason. Merging onto highways is fun too, as people try to force and "push" their way in front of you all the time. Of course, don't bother yelling out your window at them - most will never hear you with their death metal/rap music/etc. cranked at levels impossible to hear anything else (like ambulance sirens - which they probably wouldn't pull over for, anyway). Road rage is all the rage out here, so be prepared for some Mad Max shenanigans wherever you go.
This just might be the least bit bearable if on top of all these things every other local on the road wasn't driving the biggest freakin' gas-wasting monster truck, SUV, or hummer money can buy. When I first got out here, I thought they must be giving them away with the purchase of every new home or something, since nearly every home out in this area seems to have 2-3 of these wasteful behemoths in their driveway.
And of course, the traffic is usually pretty bad - not too surprising, since it's southern California, but surprising around here considering it's worse than Chicago ever was and the population of this area is only around 200,000 vs. 12 million in Chicago!
But don't worry, while you're stuck in traffic, you can always admire the never-ending heaps of trash collecting all along the highway - they can't pick it up fast enough, it seems. Apparently, nobody around here ever heard of disposing of their trash in a garbage can - they just throw it out their window, or drop it in a parking lot or on the street. Considering I've seen entire mini-malls, roads, and neighborhoods built brand new since I've been out here, I have been astounded by how quickly people literally trash them. Apparently they love living in their own refuse.
Dan Landers

United States

#91 May 4, 2010
I have been to Temecula twice with a completely open mind. I was shopping for a house for myself and my fiance. I grew up in N.Y. and moved to LA in 1987 and have spent all of those years in LA and OC. I decided to check out Temecula for the obvious (less expensive housing) and it's proximity to San Diego, Inland Empire, OC and LA. It seems to be in the middle which is good for me since I do business in all of those areas. However my immediate impression is not good. It seems lacking in diversity. People seem rude and ill mannered on and off the road. Seems very very white ( I am a white guy) with little diversity. Which all spells CLOSED MINDED people to me who come off like they are living in their own private idaho. Maybe they are!! And they can have it!! Adios!!
knsb26

Culver City, CA

#93 May 19, 2010
Transplant wrote:
PART 1 of 2:
I would not suggest moving to Temecula, Murrieta, or any of the surrounding areas if you can help it. If you want to relocate to southern Cal stick to the coasts (if you can somehow afford it)- or perhaps drop the idea altogether. I am a Chicago suburb transplant myself, and I have been utterly amazed (in a negative way) by what I've experienced since making the move out to the Murrieta/Temecula area myself two years ago.
To put it bluntly, it seems like the majority of the population in and around this area are just plain selfish, rude, obnoxious, wasteful, and disrespectful to an extreme.
The most obvious reflection of this is how (and what) people drive around here. I used to drive to downtown Chicago nearly every day and never saw so much wreckless, rude, disrespectful, and foolish driving as I have here in the last 2 years. It appears that the speed limit around here is a complete joke - people routinely drive dangerously over the 70 mph speed limit, usually 20-30 miles or more over, unless the traffic is so backed up as to force them to slow down. This extends to regular city streets as well. Signaling is apparently optional too, as people change lanes and make turns all the time without using them. They also like to drive about 4-6 feet behind you going about 90mph - prepare to be rear-ended (or perhaps killed) if you need to stop suddenly for any reason. Merging onto highways is fun too, as people try to force and "push" their way in front of you all the time. Of course, don't bother yelling out your window at them - most will never hear you with their death metal/rap music/etc. cranked at levels impossible to hear anything else (like ambulance sirens - which they probably wouldn't pull over for, anyway). Road rage is all the rage out here, so be prepared for some Mad Max shenanigans wherever you go.
This just might be the least bit bearable if on top of all these things every other local on the road wasn't driving the biggest freakin' gas-wasting monster truck, SUV, or hummer money can buy. When I first got out here, I thought they must be giving them away with the purchase of every new home or something, since nearly every home out in this area seems to have 2-3 of these wasteful behemoths in their driveway.
And of course, the traffic is usually pretty bad - not too surprising, since it's southern California, but surprising around here considering it's worse than Chicago ever was and the population of this area is only around 200,000 vs. 12 million in Chicago!
But don't worry, while you're stuck in traffic, you can always admire the never-ending heaps of trash collecting all along the highway - they can't pick it up fast enough, it seems. Apparently, nobody around here ever heard of disposing of their trash in a garbage can - they just throw it out their window, or drop it in a parking lot or on the street. Considering I've seen entire mini-malls, roads, and neighborhoods built brand new since I've been out here, I have been astounded by how quickly people literally trash them. Apparently they love living in their own refuse.

Your comments were totally hilarious and I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. I am still planning on moving to Temecula in a month with my family. It looked clean and nice the times I have visited. I did notice a lot of big trucks and SUV's. I hope our experience will be better than yours has been! You need to move to Upland , San Antonio Heights area. That is where I live now and it is boring to me but I have a feeling you would love it. No one has more than one or two children, everyone is highly educated, and it is very quiet but culturally rich. Check it out.
Daniel Gonzales

Yorba Linda, CA

#94 May 21, 2010
If you go to the mall. You will see stuck up people. Also you will see low lifes. The gangs are wannabe types that couldnt make it LA county. They need to do redo Temecula so it can be livable and no Im not moving out. You guys need to leave
Ghetto is here

Chino, CA

#95 May 21, 2010
Alot of the "free homes" people that bought a $500,000 house on an $8 an hour salary have lost their homes and moved into the apartments and condo rentals in this area. Their kids are walking around all baggy pants and hanging out in the middle of the street mad dogging people. It is getting worse, graffiti is on the rise, petty crime, etc.... I guess Moreno Valley and Perris have nothing to offer these people anymore. Here comes da HOOD.
Ricky

Westminster, CA

#96 May 24, 2010
The people in Temecula are not stuck up. They just don't want to be bothered, what's wrong with that?
At least they aren't being Fake!

Besides most are from the City...(S.D. or OC) where people just do their own thing.

As for you Transplants, well.....I'd rather be here than in the Midwest.

If you want friendly (fakeness) go to San Diego. Most are friendly there to a certain extent.
IrvineGurl

Corona, CA

#97 Jun 9, 2010
* Wow *, after reading through a number of these posts it is interesting to see how many others twist and misinterpret the words of other posters into something else. I notice some of the posters who vocalize anything less than glowing comments about the area are suddenly being personally attacked and referred to as miserable social outcasts with severe personal issues that are unhappy with themselves and wouldn't be happy anywhere.

Why is it that these posters are being branded Public Enemy #1 for not mindlessly cheerleading about an area that clearly has a pattern of some real and serious problems that apparently the majority of the citizens and elected officials of the area are not addressing sufficiently either out of sheer laziness or due to a lack of leadership? Or is it that some are jealous of the fact that these posters are not merely content to turn a blind eye or consent to the issues affecting their neighborhoods and community?

You could potentially label them as whiners if they are not doing anything about the problems they write about, but I clearly read in some of their posts that some of them are very actively trying to tackle these ongoing issues both in their own neighborhoods and the community in general. One could argue that simply by posting these concerns in a public forum like this these posters are at the very least raising awareness and starting a dialog about these issues, and for that they should be commended.

I currently live out in Irvine (I rent a small condo there) and originally came out to southern Cal from the midwest for college. I have friends who moved out to the Murrieta/Temecula area about two years ago near the high school in Murrieta on Clinton Keith Road so they could buy their own home. Every time I come out to visit them (like I am right now), I've seen lots of trash all over the place just across the street from the high school. I was just visiting here not too long ago and it's all still lying there same as last time. I've also walked along the dirt road past the end of Clinton Keith and there's all sorts of garbage that's been dumped along it - old TVs, furniture, even a Christmas tree with lights on it that looks like it's been there for years!

I sometimes stop at the gas station or the coffee shop in the mini-mall off Scott Road by the 215 to get some food and gas before I drive back. The parking lot there always has lots of trash laying around it, and my friends told me it was just built in the last year or so! Not to mention the scary-looking prison-wannabe dudes from around this area that always seem to be present in abundance there, too.

I won't go into the monster truck people I see all over this area polluting the air and driving stupid (other posters have done that already), but let me say I'm sure glad I don't live out here. Compared to where my friends live here in Murrieta, Irvine is much cleaner, the majority of people there seem far more educated and professional, and it's much closer to the ocean (as in 10-15 minutes), not "just an hour or so away".

Maybe I don't own my own home, but I sure wouldn't trade living in Irvine for any place around here (whether it's Temecula, Menifee or Murrieta). Yes, no place is perfect, that's for sure, but there's better and worse. I guess it just depends on how far you're willing to lower your standards just so you can own your own home. As for me, I'm perfectly happy living in Irvine despite whatever issues anyone might say it has.
Kerrie

Yorba Linda, CA

#98 Jun 10, 2010
I guess it just depends on how far you're willing to lower your standards just so you can own your own home in Temecula and Murrieta
Foxy2

Castaic, CA

#99 Jul 11, 2010
Temecula aka Rednecula
Homeless in temecula

United States

#100 Jul 12, 2010
I moved to Temecula in the 90s. After I lost everything after my wife and 3 girls were killed in a car crash. I just gave up. The only thing I have in this world is a few photos a few things I can chang into and this new cell phone someone bought for me. I hope I can get a few bucks so I can go see my sister in Texas.
Wes

Westminster, CA

#101 Jul 15, 2010
To Homeless in Temecula, Meet me at the Burger King in Temecula July 18 around 2:30 pm. I will be happy to buy you a ticket to Texas so you can see your sister. I will also be more than happy to tae you to the air port.
OC Housewive

Garden Grove, CA

#102 Jul 22, 2010
Temecula and Murrieta, Land of Prison wannabe white boys with tatts, who drive big trucks. They have never usually been to jail or been 4x4 riding in their big trucks.

Classy white people despise you and you look really stoopid! Stop trying to be a Whigger!!! Cover up your tatts, trade in your dirtbike and get a job!!!

Real women in OC would never look at you Bro's! Aka Temecula Trash! I feel sorry for kids in this town!
Yes I am visiting from Newport Coast....fyi! Gotta go get my toes done.....YAY!!!
Maybe temecula

Hilmar, CA

#103 Jul 28, 2010
Is it really racist in temecula? I have two small children and I don't want them to have to go though anything like that.
Jenny

Temecula, CA

#104 Jul 28, 2010
I've lived in Temecula since 1993 and I have seen it grow. I have a nice home and my children went to the best schools here. Everyone comments on traffic, rude people, illegals and what have you. No matter where you decide to move to you will always find something negative NO PLACE IN THE WORLD IS PERFECT not even the coast. Temecula is a nice place to live. The best thing for you to do is come out here and see for yourself. I wish you the best of luck.
Amy_ Moved from San Diego

Westminster, CA

#105 Sep 19, 2010
Well then, welcome to Southern California! You're actually pretty daft if you think that this type of behavior (especially concerning driving) because that has nothing to do with Murrieta or Temecula Get out a bit more and you will see that we are all typically crazy drivers to those less-experienced large freeway drivers. I actually moved here from SD and like the smaller-town feel and the wineries. People are also pretty pleasant here and they have some of the best public high schools down here. It's also one hour from EVERYTHING, mountains/snow/skiing, beaches, Disneyland (and other theme parks in LA) and San Diego (and all of their parks as well). It's also a great place to raise a family. I have to admit, it's boring as heck if you're single and have already graduated high school...
Transplant wrote:
PART 1:
The most obvious reflection of this is how (and what) people drive around here. I used to drive to downtown Chicago nearly every day and never saw so much wreckless, rude, disrespectful, and foolish driving as I have here in the last 2 years. It appears that the speed limit around here is a complete joke - people routinely drive dangerously over the 70 mph speed limit, usually 20-30 miles or more over, unless the traffic is so backed up as to force them to slow down. This extends to regular city streets as well.
Signaling is apparently optional too, as people change lanes and make turns all the time without using them. They also like to drive about 4-6 feet behind you going about 90mph - prepare to be rear-ended (or perhaps killed) if you need to stop suddenly for any reason. Merging onto highways is fun too, as people try to force and "push" their way in front of you all the time. Of course, don't bother yelling out your window at them - most will never hear you with their death metal/rap music/etc. cranked at levels impossible to hear anything else (like ambulance sirens - which they probably wouldn't pull over for, anyway). Road rage is all the rage out here, so be prepared for some Mad Max shenanigans wherever you go.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Temecula Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News WildomarCOMMUNITY NOTES: Jehovah's Witnesses to... 13 hr Caciques a liar 7
Felon Thu Angel 1
KIRBY VACUUMS SCAMS-ACE company in murrieta (Oct '07) Jul 15 jepp6 428
Delicious lil angell Jul 11 Angel 2
KIRBY VACUUMS SCAMS-ACE company in murrieta (Oct '07) Jul 8 KirbyLove 350
News TemeculaTEMECULA: Couple sentenced in 2013 hors... Jul 2 Aline 1
Anyone order from LTT Gourmet Foods? (Dec '07) Jul 1 Food man 80

Temecula Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance