Victim fatally shot after altercation in Tellico Village

Apr 15, 2010 Full story: www.knoxnews.com 31

Loudon County authorities are investigating a fatal shooting in the Tellico Village retirement community Thursday that apparently followed an altercation between two retirees.

See rest of the story at the Knox News. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Amazed

Loudon, TN

#1 Apr 15, 2010
We moved here from Michigan to get away from crime and now you can get shot in a retirement community. Road rage in a retirement community, simply amazing and scary. Where do you move to be safe these days?
astounded to Amazed

Athens, TN

#3 Apr 16, 2010
Maybe the shooter moved here from Michigan,too.
Concerned

Loudon, TN

#4 Apr 16, 2010
Apparently this was the result of an ongoing altercation. It would be helpful to have names. We live very close to where the incident took place. This may have involved neighbors and we can't find out. There was a big roadblock on Toqua and the sheriff wouldn't tell us anything except we would need to find another way home.
Jeannie Pilgrim

AOL

#5 Apr 16, 2010
The alleged shooter lives at 225 Cheestana Way. I do not know him. I have been told by other neighbors that he was known as very irratic. That is all I know.
Proud of the South

United States

#6 Apr 16, 2010
And you Yankees call us Rednecks. Ever here of the pot calling the kettle black?
To Concerned

AOL

#7 Apr 16, 2010
Proud of the South wrote:
And you Yankees call us Rednecks. Ever here of the pot calling the kettle black?
Nope, but I've heard of irrational logic, and this is a case of it. Has nothing to do with north or south.
In shock

Greenwich, CT

#8 Apr 16, 2010
Can't believe this would happen in such a quiet and friendly neighborhood. Tellico Village has folks from north, east,west and south and everyone looks out for each other. There has to be more to this than what is being published. It's one thing to blow a horn because you are inpatient and have anger issues and another thing to pull out a gun and shoot. Everyone needs to take a chill pill to enjoy the beauty around us.
Redneck Yankee

Englewood, TN

#9 Apr 16, 2010
Too Concerned,
You are a stupid HILLBILLY!!!!!
So Happy Together

Lebanon, TN

#10 Apr 16, 2010
Pilgrim - I heard the same this morning. It is absolutely unbelievable. A little after 6 last night, I heard what sounded to be a blown transformer and commented to my wife that another squirrel was blown tobits. When we saw the crowd at the end of the street last night, we assumed first it was a garage sale, then we saw the lights and figured it to be an auto accident at Toqua. When we talked to neighbors and heard what actually happened, we were without words. I am still without words. The alleged shooter was formally charged a few minutes ago. I haven't heard the outcome yet.
News Herald Story

Loudon, TN

#11 Apr 16, 2010
A Tellico Village resident is dead after an altercation Thursday night.

Norman Whitton, 69, 225 Cheestana Way, Loudon, is set to be charged with second degree murder for the shooting of Larry Butcher, 167 Saligugi Way, Loudon, according to Loudon County Sheriff Tim Guider.

He said the Sheriff's Department was called at about 6:15 p.m. to the intersection of Cheestana Way and Toqua Road.

"Before arrival we had been informed the suspect was still on the scene," Guider said.

Once Whitton was in custody, officers and EMS workers attempted to give Butcher medical aid, but were unable to revive him, according to the sheriff.

"I believe he was killed instantly," Guider said. "There were no eye witnesses, but there were lots of people who heard a horn blowing."

Witnesses also heard the gunshot, and one of the nearby residents went to the scene and called authorities.

Guider said the altercation apparently began as Whitton, who was driving his car, came upon Butcher in a golf cart at the intersection. Whitton allegedly shot Butcher with a .38 caliber revolver.
Google Eye

Lebanon, TN

#12 Apr 16, 2010
Norm Whitton apparently searched high and low for a gun. Even entering a Pennsylvania Gander Mountain store raffle - winning cash, but not a gun.
link: www.zemzem.us/2009%20Sportsmans%20WINNERS.xls
Google Eye

Lebanon, TN

#13 Apr 16, 2010
Perhaps Whitton was distraught - absolutely no excuse BTW - over problems associated with his greedy and unattentive attorney?

IN THE COURT OF APPEALS OF TENNESSEE
AT KNOXVILLE
November 2, 2009 Session
NORMAN B. WHITTON v. M. JOSIAH HOOVER, III.
Direct Appeal from the Circuit Court for Loudon County
No. 2007-CV-162 Hon. Russell E. Simmons, Jr., Judge
No. E2008-01769-COA-R3-CV - FILED NOVEMBER 19, 2009
Plaintiff sued defendant, his attorney, in Sessions Court to recover an attorney fee in the amount of $1,000.00 paid to defendant for legal representation. His theories for recovery were for malpractice and breach of contract. The Sessions Judge entered a Judgment for plaintiff and defendant appealed to Circuit Court. The Circuit Court found that the contract which provided for a fee for certain legal services in the amount of $1,000.00 was unconscionable and entered Judgment for plaintiff for $1,000.00 plus other expenses. Defendant appealed to this Court. We hold on the evidence before us that the contract entered was not unconscionable, but upon the facts and law the amount of the fee was not reasonable and we reduce the fee to $500.00 and Judgment will be entered in favor of plaintiff for $500.00 upon remand.
Tenn. R. App. P.3 Appeal as of Right; Judgment of the Circuit Court Reversed.
HERSCHEL PICKENS FRANKS, P.J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which CHARLES D. SUSANO,
JR., J., and D. MICHAEL SWINEY, J., joined.
M. Josiah Hoover, III., Knoxville, Tennessee, pro se. OPINION
Plaintiff client sued defendant attorney in General Sessions Court for $1,000.00 and
for punitive damage for breach of contract and legal malpractice. The Sessions Judge entered
Judgment for the plaintiff in the amount of $1,000.00 and defendant appealed to the Circuit Court. The Trial Courtís Judgment states in pertinent part: That the Defendant, an attorney, had represented Plaintiff previously, and on
January 5, 2007 Plaintiff contacted Defendant to represent him in a bankruptcy lawsuit. Defendant sent a contract to Plaintiff which Plaintiff signed and based on the requirement for a Ďnon-refundable flat fee of One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00)ípaid One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00) to Defendant. Defendantís position is that
he filed a proof of claim which was all he had to do under the contract. The proof further showed that the debtor in the bankruptcy case was
discharged on December 13, 2006. The further proof was that Plaintiff tried to communicate with Defendant, but Defendant never told Plaintiff that the debtor had already been granted a discharge. Plaintiff only found this out in June, 2007 by the
bankruptsí attorney sending an Order of Discharge to Plaintiff.
Curious

Loudon, TN

#14 Apr 16, 2010
Did Whitton have a gun license?
Lunatic

Loudon, TN

#15 Apr 16, 2010
Filing suit against his attorney because he thought he overcharged him when he only paid him $1,000 to file bankruptcy proceedings. He was filing bankruptcy to prevent a lien which had been placed on him by a couple in Madisonville, which he never paid. Sounds like a bit lunnie to me and someone on here said the attorney was greedy. RIGHT! He will be paying more than $1,000 for an attorney now. These days it cost $1,000 just to talk to an attorney. Does not sound overcharged to me.
Google Eye

Lebanon, TN

#16 Apr 16, 2010
Yep
Except that the atty charged Whitton $1000 to tell his client that the lein had been discharged. That was a bit much, and the appeals court agreed and reduced the fee by one-half. Search Josh Hoover's professional record and you'll see he has received a number of Tenn. Bar Assoc. sanctions. He is greedy and has been found more than once to be unattentive. And, yes, the other point was that Whitton has a record that includes questionable behavior. Looney may be a premature label, but "questionable stability" might be very accurate.
fredo

United States

#17 Apr 16, 2010
i guess winnie looks pretty smart now for putting those steel doors in the POA office.

aaaand the watchdogs look like the idiots they have always been and always will be.

lets just be thankful no one was killed the day BIG AL stormed into an office full of innocent employees.
Oh hi Fredo

AOL

#18 Apr 16, 2010
fredo wrote:
i guess winnie looks pretty smart now for putting those steel doors in the POA office.
aaaand the watchdogs look like the idiots they have always been and always will be.
lets just be thankful no one was killed the day BIG AL stormed into an office full of innocent employees.
Can you for once focus on something other than your gravey train work place?
anon

Oak Ridge, TN

#19 Apr 16, 2010
fredo wrote:
This will knock the POA losing the lawsuit right off the front page won't it?
Leroy Hightower

Louisville, TN

#20 Apr 17, 2010
Proud of the South wrote:
We don't call you rednecks; you call you rednecks.
Most of us from the north, east, west, and south of Tennessee have come to Loudon County because we enjoy the culture. That means we LIKE East Tennesseeans: the great music, friendly people and good sound logic. Based on all that I know regarding the nature of East Tennessee natives, you, my friend, either did not listen to you mom and dad or you are not from around here.
PS. Your question phrase is incorrect: You said, "Ever here of" incorrectly. "Here" is an adverb referring to a place. "Hear" is a verb and refers to perception by ear.
Leone Indicted

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Apr 18, 2010
Angelo Leone was indicted last week and will be arraigned this coming week. I guess those watchdogs are indeed violent criminals. Thos watchdogs who said the charges were dropped were liars. Just like they lie about everything. Liars, liars, liars. Violent liars.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tellico Village Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brittney Cox 8 min great minds think... 4
never understand 29 min smart person 1
Woman sent to jail over overgrown yard 40 min Henry 42
Corruption at juvenile center somebody needs to... 2 hr corrections 37
How is cheating on who at Yale Security (Nov '10) 13 hr CHT333 23
What going on with he Park 15 hr FOPP 6
deadbeat dads (Mar '14) 15 hr CHT333 9
Tellico Village Dating
Find my Match

Tellico Village Jobs