Moving to Tehachapi...How do you like...

Moving to Tehachapi...How do you like the area?

Posted in the Tehachapi Forum

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#1 Nov 5, 2009
My Husband is a Paramedic and was just offered a higher paying job in Bakersfield with Hall ambulance. So we'll be relocating from orange county to Kern county area. I was researching Bakersfield and was not happy with the crime rates and having to be alone at home for 24 hour intervals with two small children (8 months and 3 years). My husband and I were researching alternatives and found Tehachapi and we both really liked what we saw, it reminds us both of Oak Glen. I used to live in Flagstaff Arizona and love smaller communities. My question is how do you like Tehachapi? Do you feel it's safe, and a good family city? Are the schools good and which schools do you recommend (my daughter will be starting preschool next year). Do you like the churches? Thank you!
andibar55

Bakersfield, CA

#2 Nov 11, 2009
I was born and raised in Long Beach, CA. I lived in Bakersfied for about 10 years. I moved to Tehachapi in 2005 and I love it here. I have 1 child in school at Tompkins Elementary and I think it is a far better school than those in Long Beach or Bakersfield. I can't vouch for all churches here but mine is a very friendly place. You'll be surprised by total strangers saying hello or good morning even just walking down the street. It's a small town, but we like it here!
bnb

Belmont, CA

#3 Nov 19, 2009
We, too, are looking to relocate to Tehachapi...from San Jose, CA. My husband works in Bakersfield and will need to commute there and back Tuesday-Friday. What's the commute like? How are the teachers @ Tompkins? Tompkins is rated 6 out of 10 stars ( reatschools.net ) and our chilrens'(5 and 7) current elementary school is rated a 10...(SUPER hih CST scores). We can handle a lower rating if the teachers really challenge each student. We are entertaining the idea of a home on a couple acres in a quiet, conservative, mountain town where people are serious about living Christian principles... Thanks for you input!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tehachapi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 4-star ATH/Linebacker Matthew Tago signs with O... Feb 9 StarPhart 2
Local Tehachapi Prison Pen Pal Community (Jan '11) Jan 30 Marilyn 5
AV needs to get rid of ghetto "people"! (Oct '11) Jan 29 Originalbadgirl1 215
Living in Rosamond (Nov '08) Jan 27 Gina 46
HELP STOP Discrimination against Agricultural Z... Jan 24 Red Cloud 7
My Experience With Villalobos Dog Rescue Center (Feb '11) Jan '18 Cyndi j 68
Jaime gomez Jan '18 Jess 1

Tehachapi Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance