What is it like in Tehachapi, CA?

What is it like in Tehachapi, CA?

Posted in the Tehachapi Forum

Looking to move

Minooka, IL

#1 Mar 22, 2013
My family and I are looking at moving to Tehachapi, CA. My mom was the one to recommend the city and since then I've done extensive research on it in an attempt to find out more. Unfortunately, as is the nature of a small town, there isn't a lot of information about life in the city. Some specific concerns are: what job commutes are like, what the schools are like, how do people acts towards their neighbours, is the city relatively conservative or liberal, what winter weather is like, etc. I seriously appreciate all the information anyone can give, but I've noticed a trend of some ridiculous and non-constructive comments about Tehachapi, so if you're going to hate on it, have reasons and evidence to back yourself up please! Non-biased opinions are always best :) Thank you
Looking to move

Minooka, IL

#2 Mar 22, 2013
how people act* towards their neighbours

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#3 Mar 23, 2013
Neighbors here are very friendly... this is the kind of place where you wave at your neighbors whether you "know" them or not. Of course, this is somewhat dependent upon what area or neighborhood you live in, but the places that are not-so-friendly are most assuredly the exception to that rule. I can only think of a couple neighborhoods where this might be the case.

Regarding the weather, if you're from Illinois the winters here will not bother you one bit, haha! We truly get four seasons here, unlike anywhere else I have lived. Tehachapi has a *very* nice climate, and to me the winters are mild, but I've lived in places that had "real" winters, and others here seem to disagree with me on that point. However, there are many nice areas to live that are very protected from foul weather and wind if that is of concern to you.

With respect to job commutes to Bakersfield, the Palmdale/Lancaster area and Edwards AFB, it's not bad at all with the exception of the rare occasion when Hwy 58 gets shut down due to a particularly bad winter storm. They are very good about plowing the roads here, unlike a couple other places I've lived. There is quite literally no traffic to speak of at all.

I would say that Tehachapi is more conservative than liberal, but has become more liberal in recent years with the influx of people from the city.

The schools here are good, particularly for a small town, and some (with reference to the elementary schools) are better than others. I think Cummings Valley is probably the best elementary school in our area. There are a lot of great academic and extracurricular programs. And (I mention this only because someone else recently asked) there are now several private schools here as well. Carden (1st) and Heritage Oak (2nd) are the only two that I could recommend, as I honestly don't know anyone who has been to or sent their kids to any of the others. Here is the link to the Tehachapi Unified School District (TUSD) website: http://www.teh.k12.ca.us/

I hope this helps you all out and good luck with your move, wherever you end up!
Looking to move

Minooka, IL

#4 Mar 23, 2013
Thanks for your input! That was really helpful :) as I was going through some of the forums I noticed a very large anti-Walmart sentiment, what's the deal with that? Haha, I've lived with Walmart and a number of other commercial centers nearby my whole life, and it's never adversely affected the areas I live.. Also, what is the high school like, if you know. I've looked into it a lot, but again, not a massive wealth of info
Looking to move

Minooka, IL

#5 Mar 23, 2013
Oh! Also, what is there to do in the city? I've seen a ton of negative things relating to that topic as well, but a straight up list of what there really is to do and how expensive it is would be nice, as well as things to do in nearby areas

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tehachapi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local US Army Ranger Combat Veteran for having... Jun 28 Bam 2
News It's NASCAR weekend... here's your playlist Jun 27 Jade 1
Group Homes And The Clustering Of Sex Offenders... (Oct '10) Jun 25 Don 5
Tar Jun 21 Ho Dee Doo 5
News Neighbors Furious USPS Won't Replace Vandalized... Jun 19 Mr_Awesome 2
community work Jun 18 LDS 1
AV needs to get rid of ghetto "people"! (Oct '11) Jun 17 huera 200
More from around the web

Tehachapi People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE