Tehachapi city council approves WalMa...

Tehachapi city council approves WalMart Supercenter

There are 6 comments on the KGET-TV story from May 20, 2011, titled Tehachapi city council approves WalMart Supercenter. In it, KGET-TV reports that:

WalMart was given the green light Thursday night to build a Supercenter in Tehachapi.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KGET-TV.

S Miller

Auburn, CA

#1 May 20, 2011
Oh Shit! Here Comes The 'HOOD'
Evil Lurks Everywhere

Lodi, CA

#2 May 20, 2011
Page 1
Expansion
February 8th, 2011
(In another of our daring ventures–into, well, call it benign industrial espionage–we planted a bug on the wall just before a secret meeting of a Walmart tactical team whose members were convening at a hotel in Kern County near Tehachapi. Their objective: Opening a Walmart Supercenter in another town too small to resist the retailer’s takeover.
From what we could pick up, there seemed to be four participants, a team Leader and three others whom we’ll call Abel, Baker and Charlene. Here’s what we heard.)
Leader: This little town should not be a problem.
Abel: An easy one, boss.
Leader: How about these folks’ educational level?
Baker: Low enough to be Walmart-friendly or neutral. Fifty-two and 28 percent, respectively. Less than eight thousand population. A pushover.
Leader: That’ll work. How many supermarkets to put out of business?
Charlene: Just two, a Save Mart and an Albertson’s.
Leader: And pharmacies?
Abel: Walgreen’s. Rite Aid, Savon, and K-Mart. Plus maybe a couple little storefront independents. We’ll knock out all of them except maybe Walgreen’s. They’re national. They can match us, price cut for price cut. But we’ll undersell the others right into the ground. Scorched earth, guys.
Leader: Now, we don’t want to come out looking like too big, too bad, you know.
Charlene: Yes, not good for the Walmart image. We don’t want to be seen as doing what we do, do we?
(General laughter)
Leader: That would not be good. We’ll allow some token competition, of course. That’s routine. What about environmental impact? Any problems?
Baker: None, boss. We’ve got the municipal officials firmly on board. This bunch of brown-noses…I mean, they’re so eager to please us, it’s almost comical.
Leader: Good, healthy pro-GOP, free-enterprise bias. That always helps.
Baker: They’re pushing hard for approvals for us on every issue–parking, traffic congestion, pollution, whatever. Our Supercenter‘s gonna mess them up good, but they’re with us. They don’t care.
Abel: All they can see is more tax revenue…
Charlene:…Means more income for the city, which…
Abel:…Which means pay raises and more power for the officials.
Leader: I hear you. Anybody making waves about economic impact? You know, the usual sad mom-and-pops going out of business story? The whole collapse to come?
Baker: Every word out of these politicians’ mouths pooh-poohs such problems. To listen to these guys, you’d think we were paying them a salary. They couldn’t care less about the local businesses that put them in office. Or the folks who work there.
Leader: Brains of gold, hey? How about other possible opposition, like the local press?
Abel: All on our side. They’re greedy for our ad dollars. One of them was praising us for how pretty our parking lot is going to be. They’re grateful for the trees we’re planting in our parking lot!
(General laughter)
Leader: Can’t get much better cheerleading than that. So our plans are right on track, then. Would you all agree?
Charlene: We’re going in with no holds barred, boss. We’ll undersell every supermarket, every drug store, every hardware…
Abel:…For as long as it takes to crush the competition. Yeah!
Charlene: We’ll show the Walton family back in Arkansas that our team is the most aggressive, the most ruthless…
Leader: Don’t use words like ruthless.
Charlene: Sorry, boss. That our team is the most aggressive, the most efficient team in all of Walmart’s takeover efforts…
Leader; Don’t say takeover.
Evil Lurks Everywhere

Lodi, CA

#3 May 20, 2011
Expansion Page 2
February 8th, 2011
Charlene: Sorry, again. I get so enthusiastic about our mission. All of Walmart’s expansion efforts to, to bring low prices and a higher standard of living to America. How’s that?
(General laughter)
Leader: That’s better. We don’t want any government watchdog agency making before-and-after comparisons of the towns Walmart takes over…oops, I did it myself. I mean Walmart expands into. Our home office in Bentonville has done some private analyses, and it’s not…well, the numbers make us look bad, you know. Anyway, federal lawsuits are not what we want to defend.
Abel: It’s just Commuist propaganda, anyway, boss. Right?
(General laughter)
Leader: Right! Our lobbyists have taken care of Congress so far. But we’d best be careful. Okay, let’s get down to business. First, how about a cheer for good old free enterprise American business.
(Group cheer)
Leader: We want most of the retail dollars spent in Tehachapi to flow into our cash registers. That’s our goal–right?
(Chorus of voices) Right!
Leader: All right! Now let’s get on it. I want to see detailed price lists of everything sold at every retail establishment operating in Tehachapi. We want to undersell every merchant in town, right from the minute our doors open. We’re gonna break their backs, close ‘em down!
Baker: And all our customers will see is saving money, money, money for me, me, me.
Leader: We’ll make the people in our checkout lines so giddy with saving their three bucks here, ten bucks there, that their eyes and ears won’t see or hear anything about Walmart’s economic impact on their town. Do you read me?
Baker: We’ll razzle-dazzle the suckers, boss!
Leader: Don’t use words like suckers. They’re our intelligent, valued customers. When Cousin Joe or Uncle Ed gets fired or closes his store, it’ll be Joe and Ed’s fault, not ours. That’s how happy our new Tehachapi customers are going to be with our low prices. Always!
Evil Lurks Everywhere

Lodi, CA

#4 May 20, 2011
Expansion
February 8th, 2011
(In another of our daring ventures–into, well, call it benign industrial espionage–we planted a bug on the wall just before a secret meeting of a Walmart tactical team whose members were convening at a hotel in Kern County near Tehachapi. Their objective: Opening a Walmart Supercenter in another town too small to resist the retailer’s takeover.
From what we could pick up, there seemed to be four participants, a team Leader and three others whom we’ll call Abel, Baker and Charlene. Here’s what we heard.)
Leader: This little town should not be a problem.
Abel: An easy one, boss.
Leader: How about these folks’ educational level?
Baker: Low enough to be Walmart-friendly or neutral. Fifty-two and 28 percent, respectively. Less than eight thousand population. A pushover.
Leader: That’ll work. How many supermarkets to put out of business?
Charlene: Just two, a Save Mart and an Albertson’s.
Leader: And pharmacies?
Abel: Walgreen’s. Rite Aid, Savon, and K-Mart. Plus maybe a couple little storefront independents. We’ll knock out all of them except maybe Walgreen’s. They’re national. They can match us, price cut for price cut. But we’ll undersell the others right into the ground. Scorched earth, guys.
Leader: Now, we don’t want to come out looking like too big, too bad, you know.
Charlene: Yes, not good for the Walmart image. We don’t want to be seen as doing what we do, do we?
(General laughter)
Leader: That would not be good. We’ll allow some token competition, of course. That’s routine. What about environmental impact? Any problems?
Baker: None, boss. We’ve got the municipal officials firmly on board. This bunch of brown-noses…I mean, they’re so eager to please us, it’s almost comical.
Leader: Good, healthy pro-GOP, free-enterprise bias. That always helps.
Baker: They’re pushing hard for approvals for us on every issue–parking, traffic congestion, pollution, whatever. Our Supercenter‘s gonna mess them up good, but they’re with us. They don’t care.
Abel: All they can see is more tax revenue…
Charlene:…Means more income for the city, which…
Abel:…Which means pay raises and more power for the officials.
Leader: I hear you. Anybody making waves about economic impact? You know, the usual sad mom-and-pops going out of business story? The whole collapse to come?
Baker: Every word out of these politicians’ mouths pooh-poohs such problems. To listen to these guys, you’d think we were paying them a salary. They couldn’t care less about the local businesses that put them in office. Or the folks who work there.
Leader: Brains of gold, hey? How about other possible opposition, like the local press?
Abel: All on our side. They’re greedy for our ad dollars. One of them was praising us for how pretty our parking lot is going to be. They’re grateful for the trees we’re planting in our parking lot!
(General laughter)
Leader: Can’t get much better cheerleading than that. So our plans are right on track, then. Would you all agree?
Charlene: We’re going in with no holds barred, boss. We’ll undersell every supermarket, every drug store, every hardware…
Abel:…For as long as it takes to crush the competition. Yeah!
Charlene: We’ll show the Walton family back in Arkansas that our team is the most aggressive, the most ruthless…
Leader: Don’t use words like ruthless.
Charlene: Sorry, boss. That our team is the most aggressive, the most efficient team in all of Walmart’s takeover efforts…
Leader; Don’t say takeover.
Mr Anynomous

Pomona, CA

#6 Jun 20, 2011
You sir are a criminal, what you did was illegal and should be thrown in jail.
www.tehachapiforwalmart.org
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tehachapi-for-W...
Jaime

Phelan, CA

#7 Aug 30, 2011
Way cool some good shopping

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tehachapi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dispen-sary 24/7 A d d y s, T a r, H , etc May 17 Zagatan 1
Organized Stalking Sponsored by Government (Apr '13) May 2 Mic 45
Saucequatch Apr '18 Squatch is my fri... 5
News Lancaster toddler's body found in Sylmar (Mar '09) Mar '18 Bonafide1 620
My Experience With Villalobos Dog Rescue Center (Feb '11) Mar '18 Anna 71
VILLALOBOS RESCUE CENTER Paradise For Felons &... (Feb '11) Mar '18 Jason22 12
News Lisa A. Mazel (Mar '09) Feb '18 Terry 7

Tehachapi Jobs

Personal Finance

Tehachapi Mortgages