United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2012

Judged:

What I would like to know is...WHY IN THE HELL DOES IT COST $100.00 TO PUT AN OBITURARY(however its spelled) IN THE CLAIBORNE PROGRESS?? My Aunt passed away last year and didn't have insurance. We couldn't even let friends and family know in the public because of this ridiculous fee! It's disgusting for them to profit from the lose of others. How much does LMU and all the sports crap pay for there 10 pages?? YOU MAKE ME SICK BECAUSE OF THIS VERY FACT!! Don't you all think families have lost enough in a death and you CLAIBORNE PROGRESS benifit $100.00 ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS to print it!!! PATHETIC AND DISGUSTING
agreed

Clover, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2012

Judged:

I agree with you. $100 is outrageous for a small, once a week newspaper. When my mom passed away we had it put in the news sentinel and citizen tribune. Those come out daily. Why pay an extra $100 for people to find out the next week....ridiculous. It should be a common courtesy to list obituaries.
WV DOG

West Hamlin, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2012

Beautiful Grandmother wrote:
<quoted text>
I have not heard about this. Could you please tell us more, location, etc ?
To "Beautiful Grandmother",,,thanks and I praise you for your interest,,I'm very pressed for time at this moment, but I will provide you wih all the information I can later today, so if you get this, please check back this evening and I should have it posted by then. Thank you.
WV DOG

West Hamlin, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2012

WV DOG wrote:
<quoted text>
To "Beautiful Grandmother",,,thanks and I praise you for your interest,,I'm very pressed for time at this moment, but I will provide you wih all the information I can later today, so if you get this, please check back this evening and I should have it posted by then. Thank you.
Hello Beautiful Grandmother,,it's now almost midnight, but I'm finally getting to the info I promised you,,k, first of all is location: OLD TOWN CREEK IN POWELL VALLEY
OLD HIGHWAY 63
GIBSON LANE
ARNOLD OR SON STEVE LAWSON FARM

PEOPLE KNOWN AND PEOPLE "THOUGHT" TO BE IN THIS CEMETARY
READABLE STONES: POLLY HOSKINS,,WASHINGTON SOWDER SON OF DANIEL SOWDER,,ROBERT GIBSON AND WIFE RUTH,,WILLIAM AND RACHAEL BILLINGSLY, PARENTS OF POLLY HOSKINS,,ELISIBETH FERRELL WIFE OF JOSHEPH, OF THE 1700'S,,COMMONLY THOUGHT TO BE THERE WOULD BE GEORGE SNUFFER,,LEE KINFOLK,,NORVELL KINFOLK.
THIS CEMETARY IS BEHIND A LOCKED GATE. ONE WOULD HAVE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THE LAND OWNERS TO VIEW THIS CEMETARY. AS I SAID, HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED, PHYSICAL OR FINANTIAL,,THE LAND OWNER, STEVE, CAN GIVE YOU A NUMBER TO CALL TO TALK TO A SNUFFER ABOUT IT,,HE'S A DIRECT DECENDENT OF GEORGE SNUFFER. ONLY ABOUT TWO OR THREE DAYS WORK SHOULD FINISH THE PROJECT IF ENOUGH PEOPLE WOULD VOLLUNTIER THEIR TIME TO GIVE A HAND. WE ALREADY HAVE THE CORNER POSTS SET AND THE WHOLE CEMETARY CLEANED UP,,JUST HAVE TO RUN A FENCE BEFORE THE CATTLE ARE TURNED LOSE IN THERE IN JUNE, SO THEY DON'T MAKE IT WORSE. WORD OF MOUTH WILL DO WONDERS,,THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST.
Listed

Cumberland Gap, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2012

Have you checked the list of cemeteries. There
is just shy of 200 listed. I'm sure some have
been missed. Maybe this one is not listed. What
is the name of it? I'm sure the people that keep
these records would love to here about it.
WV DOG

West Hamlin, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2012

Listed wrote:
Have you checked the list of cemeteries. There
is just shy of 200 listed. I'm sure some have
been missed. Maybe this one is not listed. What
is the name of it? I'm sure the people that keep
these records would love to here about it.
Reply to "Listed",,no sir, I haven't checked the list of cemeteries there,,I went there to help my friend, Mr. Snuffer, clean this one up and it was extremely bad, but after 6 days and a couple of pieces of heavy equiptment, it looks like a cemetery again. I'm told this one is called the "Lee" cemetery and I'm pretty sure that it is indeed not listed, and there is another cemetery that is called the "Lee" cemetery and that one is probably listed. The one we cleaned up is mostly filled with people who lived in the 17 and 1800's. The most recent grave we could identify is a 4 month old baby who lived and died in 1892. Her marker is very legible. Says "E Pearl", Daughter of J.D and M.E Templin, July 26-Nov.27, 1892. At the bottom of the stone, it reads "In Heaven There is One Angel More". I told my friend that one little girl's grave made all the work I've done here very worthwhile. We still need help finishing the fence and help paying the landowner's caretakers a yearly fee to keep it cleaned and mowed. I'm sure these brave pioneers who are sleeping here have many kinfolk in the area, and they deserve to be remembered and to have their graves cared for. Any help would be appreciated. Physical and/or finantial. Thanks for your interest.
Just another dummy

Cumberland Gap, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2012

Judged:

in the area wrote:
Yes it is a shame that we are now having to pay $1.00 for a newspaper that has very little news all it has now is sports the whole second part is sports and now the first half is putting sports in it sure some sports are fine but come on People buy the paper for the news not all sports
Wait till you see this week. 1/3 of the front page is sports.
But these little boys will cherish their front page coverage
forever! And their families will buy lots of papers for their
scrapbooks. All the sports is just good business. And the $1.00
for a paper? Double the price? Loose half your customers? Still
make the same money for 50% fewer paper? Just good business!!
good grief

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2012

Judged:

Just another dummy wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait till you see this week. 1/3 of the front page is sports.
But these little boys will cherish their front page coverage
forever! And their families will buy lots of papers for their
scrapbooks. All the sports is just good business. And the $1.00
for a paper? Double the price? Loose half your customers? Still
make the same money for 50% fewer paper? Just good business!!
Ever since they hired Cindy Sharp at the newspaper it has gone to the dogs...She is a convicted felon, eluding police/drug possession/ex-convict from Kentucky/ Felonies and probation from Virginia...Also probably W/O question the worse mother in the world....I have no ideal why a newspaper would hire someone of the caliber to work with the public..
wondering if

Cumberland Gap, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2012

whats her maiden name?
good grief

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2012

wondering if wrote:
whats her maiden name?
Cindy Mullins
Its simple

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2012

Judged:

It's the marissa anders show folks. If it isn't politically correct or watered down you won't see it.

Heartland publications did own it. Write letters

If you really want to make them uncomfortable look at all the ads every week. Those are the people who really support it. When you go in those businesses tell them how you feel. Get them to stop throwing that advertising money at the progress and watch how fast things change

“*giggles*”

Since: Jan 09

Speedwell

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2012

Judged:

Sorry to say most of you have no idea what you are talking about....

I've worked in the newspaper biz for over 15 years for 3 different papers in 3 different counties.. It's the same with every single paper.. NOBODY is ever happy or satisfied...
One day "people" want more sports.. the next they don't.... Same with wrecks, police records, etc...

The PROGRESS is NOT locally owned... It is owned by people that have no idea what this county wants or needs..... These people are the ones that make up the prices for EVERYTHING, NOT anyone that locally works at the paper.....

100 dollars for a obit.. Had to be a pretty long obit... Funeral Homes are the only place that can send obits to the paper.... They should straight up tell you it cost so much per column inch..

Pictures lost... you bet it happens alot... get a copy made before taking it to the paper.. Because the picture does NOT always stay at the Progress. They have to send them sometimes to a whole other state.. And yes pictures are NOT put in the paper unless paid for in full.. So stop sending in your pictures without payment and then expect to pick them up weeks and sometimes months later...

Dave Chesney paper. give me a BREAK.. not so long ago it was a Eddie Shoffener paper. a David Ray paper.... Well it's NOT. It's a owners up NORTH paper...

People call to complain and talk with such rudeness and filth I'm surprized they even still have a real person that answers the phone.

And then not to mention.. PEOPLE don't get it.. a newspaper is like a ten thousand piece puzzle to be put together in 2 days times... So go ahead try to do that. Don't forget to add all the rude phone calls about your paper, all the people not meeting the DEADLINES for bringing stuff in, etc..

Marissa Anders is a great person. and does her job the best that the "owners" will let her..

BLAH blah blah.. complain complain.. that is all us HUMANS ever do.... It's sad...
good grief

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2012

wondering if wrote:
whats her maiden name?
If Cindy comes into your place of business to sell ads, Watch your cash register!, And if you own a Drug store make sure you don't have any missing when she leaves..Check with the State of Virginia... prescription Fraud..Eluding Police ...
Beautiful Grandmother

New Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2012

WV DOG wrote:
<quoted text>Hello Beautiful Grandmother,,it's now almost midnight, but I'm finally getting to the info I promised you,,k, first of all is location: OLD TOWN CREEK IN POWELL VALLEY
OLD HIGHWAY 63
GIBSON LANE
ARNOLD OR SON STEVE LAWSON FARM

PEOPLE KNOWN AND PEOPLE "THOUGHT" TO BE IN THIS CEMETARY
READABLE STONES: POLLY HOSKINS,,WASHINGTON SOWDER SON OF DANIEL SOWDER,,ROBERT GIBSON AND WIFE RUTH,,WILLIAM AND RACHAEL BILLINGSLY, PARENTS OF POLLY HOSKINS,,ELISIBETH FERRELL WIFE OF JOSHEPH, OF THE 1700'S,,COMMONLY THOUGHT TO BE THERE WOULD BE GEORGE SNUFFER,,LEE KINFOLK,,NORVELL KINFOLK.
THIS CEMETARY IS BEHIND A LOCKED GATE. ONE WOULD HAVE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THE LAND OWNERS TO VIEW THIS CEMETARY. AS I SAID, HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED, PHYSICAL OR FINANTIAL,,THE LAND OWNER, STEVE, CAN GIVE YOU A NUMBER TO CALL TO TALK TO A SNUFFER ABOUT IT,,HE'S A DIRECT DECENDENT OF GEORGE SNUFFER. ONLY ABOUT TWO OR THREE DAYS WORK SHOULD FINISH THE PROJECT IF ENOUGH PEOPLE WOULD VOLLUNTIER THEIR TIME TO GIVE A HAND. WE ALREADY HAVE THE CORNER POSTS SET AND THE WHOLE CEMETARY CLEANED UP,,JUST HAVE TO RUN A FENCE BEFORE THE CATTLE ARE TURNED LOSE IN THERE IN JUNE, SO THEY DON'T MAKE IT WORSE. WORD OF MOUTH WILL DO WONDERS,,THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST.
WV Dog : Thanks for your time and the information. I am very interested and hope to check this out soon.
good grief

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

Ptaerehsahh wrote:
Sorry to say most of you have no idea what you are talking about....
I've worked in the newspaper biz for over 15 years for 3 different papers in 3 different counties.. It's the same with every single paper.. NOBODY is ever happy or satisfied...
One day "people" want more sports.. the next they don't.... Same with wrecks, police records, etc...
The PROGRESS is NOT locally owned... It is owned by people that have no idea what this county wants or needs..... These people are the ones that make up the prices for EVERYTHING, NOT anyone that locally works at the paper.....
100 dollars for a obit.. Had to be a pretty long obit... Funeral Homes are the only place that can send obits to the paper.... They should straight up tell you it cost so much per column inch..
Pictures lost... you bet it happens alot... get a copy made before taking it to the paper.. Because the picture does NOT always stay at the Progress. They have to send them sometimes to a whole other state.. And yes pictures are NOT put in the paper unless paid for in full.. So stop sending in your pictures without payment and then expect to pick them up weeks and sometimes months later...
Dave Chesney paper. give me a BREAK.. not so long ago it was a Eddie Shoffener paper. a David Ray paper.... Well it's NOT. It's a owners up NORTH paper...
People call to complain and talk with such rudeness and filth I'm surprized they even still have a real person that answers the phone.
And then not to mention.. PEOPLE don't get it.. a newspaper is like a ten thousand piece puzzle to be put together in 2 days times... So go ahead try to do that. Don't forget to add all the rude phone calls about your paper, all the people not meeting the DEADLINES for bringing stuff in, etc..
Marissa Anders is a great person. and does her job the best that the "owners" will let her..
BLAH blah blah.. complain complain.. that is all us HUMANS ever do.... It's sad...
Does Marissa Anders hire convicted felons to work with the public? I think the people of Claiborne County need to know a persons public record......
Anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Judged:

I just want to second that Marissa Anders does the best she can within the guidelines she has to respect. She has always been very responsive and kind when we have dealt with her.

“*giggles*”

Since: Jan 09

Speedwell

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Judged:

good grief wrote:
<quoted text> Does Marissa Anders hire convicted felons to work with the public? I think the people of Claiborne County need to know a persons public record......
Well I can for sure say she DOESN'T hire convicted felons.... She does not do the hiring.... The GM in Middlesboro at the Daily News does that..I do know that when I worked there, NO convicted felons worked there....
jen

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Judged:

What kills me about the progress is how only those children with the right last names get the most press when it comes to sports. Whatever happened to giving people credit for a job well done no matter what their last name is;just saying.
yeah

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

taz biker wrote:
OMG did JaneyJo just say that people put in long hours at the claiborne progress? i can read the whole thing in 15 mins especialy since they stoped reporting on the few news worthy things that happen in this joke of a town.but if u need 15 pages of lmu and high sports this is your paper.
Lmao yeah she did it dont take long to look at pics lol
yeah

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Judged:

I wouldnt pay 1 dollar for 5 of thhem the progress has went down hill since lil mcdowowell and judy left i think they did it all

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 60 of71
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

21 Users are viewing the Tazewell Forum right now

Search the Tazewell Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
walter engle (Dec '09) 20 min Wrong 63
girls that drice trucks 2 hr dude 5
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 5 hr WTH 8,896
Listen to Jack Daniels talk about rerouting the... 5 hr River rider 869 35
david ray 5 hr River rider 869 24
removal of sheriff (Nov '13) 5 hr River rider 869 88
rick poore breaking law 5 hr voter 9
•••
•••