Recovery of divers' bodies from wreck...

Recovery of divers' bodies from wreck off Key Largo risky

There are 102 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Mar 16, 2007, titled Recovery of divers' bodies from wreck off Key Largo risky. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Three scuba divers squeezed their way though the silt-filled narrow hallways and doorways inside the sunken Navy ship off Key Largo on Friday, venturing about 135 feet down into a corner so deep, dark and tight ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Jim

United States

#1 Mar 17, 2007
Please don't try to recover the bodies guys. It sounds way to dangerous. Why risk your lives when their lives are already lost?
Asafe diver

Mount Dora, FL

#2 Mar 17, 2007
Agreed Jim. Their foolish actions should not put others at risk.
karen kenyon albert

Miami, FL

#3 Mar 17, 2007
Asafe diver wrote:
Agreed Jim. Their foolish actions should not put others at risk.
i also agree no one else should be put in danger. but we must consider the famalies ofd those young men it would be nice to retrive their bodies so they can be put to rest for the family sake. if this dive spot is so dangerous they should do something to keep some divers who do not have the diving experience from going to that site so no one else dies at thgat site i want to convey my deepest sympathy to the famalies of those young men. gooday.
Rob

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#4 Mar 17, 2007
Just leave the bodies there. They're dead, aren't they? Funerals are expensive. Leave them buried in the ocean.
Captain

Boynton Beach, FL

#6 Mar 17, 2007
I would not send anyone in if the ship was afloat and on fire. Surely not now. Why lose 4+ when you have already lost 2.
OTJ

United States

#7 Mar 17, 2007
If these guys got their jollies diving shipwrecks, let them be buried in one. KLFD divers do not need to risk their lives to recover bodies of the stupid. By now, these guys are already fish food anyway. Let their decomposing bodies lie. The families can toss flowers in the water or something to celebrate the deaths.
Driver

Kingston, Jamaica

#8 Mar 17, 2007
Add a momument to the ship as warning to others and as a tombstone. Seal off areas on the ship that is too dangerous or questionable for a rescue diver to venture. Dont possible add to the body count by sending in county rescue divers. If the families want to pay for the recovery of the bodies, then let them hire private divers to recover the bodies.
mark

Mason, OH

#10 Mar 17, 2007
Sad to hear of the passing.
Linda - Fort Launderdale

United States

#11 Mar 17, 2007
karen kenyon albert wrote:
<quoted text> i also agree no one else should be put in danger. but we must consider the famalies ofd those young men it would be nice to retrive their bodies so they can be put to rest for the family sake. if this dive spot is so dangerous they should do something to keep some divers who do not have the diving experience from going to that site so no one else dies at thgat site i want to convey my deepest sympathy to the famalies of those young men. gooday.
This situation is sad. However, I would not want a member of my family to put his/her life in danger to retrieve the body of someone WHO CHOSE to go into the ship. I have deep sympathy for the families, but I do not believe it is anyone else's responsbility to do something to keep daredevils out of danger. What happened here was the personal responsibilities of the individuals - it was not my fault, your fault, the government's fault - only the individuals. When risktakers do things that most of us would not even consider, then the results of the event fall squarely on the shoulders of the risktakers.
Curious

Lake Worth, FL

#12 Mar 17, 2007
I mourn the loss of these young men, but they chose to embark on something dangerous without a thought to the costs involved, both human and monetary, in rescuing them if something went wrong.

I've often wondered why my taxs have to be spent to rescue / recover people who put themselves in danerous situations. Be it diving a wreck, scaling Mt. Washington or any other "recreational" activity.
God Bless the Volunteers

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#13 Mar 17, 2007
Key Largo Fire Rescue is a volunteer fire department. For these rescue divers to put their lives in such dangerous situation goes way above the call to duty. Key Largo Rescue Divers, let them rest where they lay. Go back to your families and save the living. God Bless You.
ocala howie

Altamonte Springs, FL

#16 Mar 17, 2007
why dont the firemen bring extra air tanks down so when they run low they have a backup?
Sal

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#17 Mar 17, 2007
Whether the recovery is handled by a "volunteer" fire district or not, I agree with most other comments here in leaving the bodies where they are. Rescue missions should be used for living people in need of these services.
Eli Lilly

Pompano Beach, FL

#18 Mar 17, 2007
I am sure that the rescue divers will go in with the level of caution and preparation that the now-dead divers lacked.
colleen

Monroe Township, NJ

#19 Mar 17, 2007
I knew one of the men who died in this accident. Fortunately, he was the one who was recovered; although he died, at least we'll have a funeral for him. What is wrong with the human race? I read your comments and cannot believe how awful they are. I would never go scuba diving, as I am not the adventurous type. But it is a sport. And these men, who are all from my hometown in NJ, knew the risks but loved doing it anyway. I don't know whether the bodies should be recovered or not -- if it puts people at risk, maybe not. But why do you post such awful comments? Why not show respect for families of these men and just choose to stay respectfully quiet. I honestly think that you are heartless people. If the divers think it is too dangerous to recover the bodies, I am sure they won't do it. You make me sick, and I hope you never lose anyone in a tragic accident.
LocalGirl

Miami, FL

#20 Mar 17, 2007
ocala howie wrote:
why dont the firemen bring extra air tanks down so when they run low they have a backup?
It's not just about running out of air... diving that deep requires a lot of planning and calculation. Your body can only handle it for so long, then you have to come up. And you can't just come straight up, you have to have planned decompression stops at various depths and it takes awhile. Diving that deep is quite dangerous and requires a lot of training.
Think about it

Ibiza, Spain

#22 Mar 17, 2007
The families have to deal with this loss and God Bless them in thier hour of need... I hope the family members will take the stand that no further lives need to be lost, they, the families of these lost men, should ask that their loved ones be left where they are and no others need to risk their lives...This would truly honor those who lost their lives.

crime

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#24 Mar 17, 2007
My father's older brother, died in a submarine that was sunk in the Pacific ocean during WW2...they never went to look for the sub, or retrieve the bodies...they have been at rest, there in the deep Pacific among each other, since the day they went down...and it has always been a comfort for us to know that they died together, and are at rest together, and they have had peace...no one will ever disturb them...
I think, this is the same....let them rest in peace...That boat, is their mausoleum.
Curious

Lake Worth, FL

#25 Mar 17, 2007
ocala howie wrote:
Probably because the space is so small that extra tanks would cause more problems. Like the more weight you carry the more air you use up just moving. Sort of counter productive, HUH.
Huh

AOL

#26 Mar 17, 2007
Linda - Fort Launderdale wrote:
<quoted text>
This situation is sad. However, I would not want a member of my family to put his/her life in danger to retrieve the body of someone WHO CHOSE to go into the ship. I have deep sympathy for the families, but I do not believe it is anyone else's responsbility to do something to keep daredevils out of danger. What happened here was the personal responsibilities of the individuals - it was not my fault, your fault, the government's fault - only the individuals. When risktakers do things that most of us would not even consider, then the results of the event fall squarely on the shoulders of the risktakers.
Well said. There are hundreds of bodies laid to rest where they landed on Mount Everest. No one "rescued" them. They became part of the mountain.
My sympathies to these men's families- but, the divers should remain where they are- and that knowledge should serve as a reminder of just how dangerous the type of dive they did is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tavernier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anna &John King Apr 2 John 2
Homestead AFB (Dec '12) Mar 27 Ride Motorcycles 4
Islamorada Boats Mar '18 Anonymous 1
News Missing child alert issued for 14-year-old girl... Feb '18 asdf 1
john Houpt Feb '18 Internet 1
News Canadian Fugitive Caught In Florida (Oct '09) Feb '18 Truth 20
News Keys legislator asks for millions toward hurric... Jan '18 Claire Williams 1

Tavernier Jobs

Personal Finance

Tavernier Mortgages