Anyone remember The Monterrey House or Pizza Place?

Posted in the Tatum Forum

Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Nov 19, 2012
tdv

Gilmer, TX

#1 Aug 24, 2011
The Monterrey House was where Cotton Patch is now, I believe. I remember they always put wrapped caramel candy in the chip baskets.

There was pizza joint that was in what was the Target shopping center - now Mardel's - it was where Super Cuts is now, or one of the stores close by. I just remember that they had a jukebox and I liked to play Huey Lewis "Heart of Rock n'Roll" on it for some reason. I can't even remember the name of this place. Anyone?

I have e-mailed Longview News Journal to try and help me find the answers multiple times over the years, but they never respond.

I would love to find out the names of the owners of these restaurants, and/or find out if they have restaurants somewhere else serving a similar cuisine.

I think it would be interesting to eat it again and see if it brought back memories.

I'll throw in 2 Gilmer restaurants:

Casa Manana - I think I ate at Casa Manana quite a bit as a kid. All I can remember is kinda what it looked like inside and I think they brought out your hot sauce in those little silver pouring things - like Las Fluentes does now.

Los Dos - I don't think Los Dos was there as long, but I remember eating there, too.
Tarbaby

United States

#2 Aug 25, 2011
I surely remember the Monterrey House, but sorry don't know who the owners were. That was the best Mexican food ever!
tdv

Gilmer, TX

#3 Aug 31, 2011
Cool.
I was too young to remember much about the food specifically, just the caramel in the chips and the location.
tdv

Gilmer, TX

#4 Sep 17, 2011
BUMP

I'll bump this when I remember every month or so until I just give up.=)
connie

Gilmer, TX

#5 Sep 20, 2011
In the late 70's the Monterrey House was on 80. It was the best Mexican food ever!
Grif

United States

#6 Sep 20, 2011
Used to date a girl who worked at the Monterrey House.

Fantastic gazombas.
tdv

Gilmer, TX

#7 Jan 29, 2012
Totally missed the last two responses until now.

Didn't give too much information, but that's better than nothing! Thanks!
tdv

Gilmer, TX

#8 Apr 17, 2012
Just remembered. Giving it a bump periodically until I get satisfactory information or I forget.=)

If you saw this before, just move along and have a good day.
Klb

Longview, TX

#9 Apr 24, 2012
Yeah, Monterrey House was where Cotton Patch is located. I think the entire chain went out of business. They tended to locate in smaller towns. They did a big take-out business.

Do not remember the pizza place. Sorry.
tdv

Diana, TX

#10 Jul 14, 2012
http://montereyhousebmt.com/index.html

I think I remember the donkey/cart being their logo.

It appears there are 2 restaurants in Beaumont. Wish it was closer to check out.
ben

Dallas, TX

#11 Nov 14, 2012
Would you maybe be thinking about Godfathers? It was by Albertsons in the pine tree shopping center. I don't remember there ever being one where you're taking about.
tdv

Diana, TX

#12 Nov 19, 2012
I don't think so, but it does sound familiar.
What time period was it there?
The place I'm thinking of had to be mid 80's to early 90's at most.
For all I know, it might not have lasted long.

I do remember Mr. Gatti's being beside where Burger King is now. I think it's the same building that the chicken place is in, unless they tore it down.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tatum Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Two Cherries Productions' Chasing Heroes Begins... 31 min fan of the theater 1
TX Who do you support for Commissioner of Agricult... (Oct '10) 2 hr Wow Wee 524
Lucy Eades 2 hr LnK14 2
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr Defiant1 17,876
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 2 hr That Fart Guy 22,285
TX Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in T... (Oct '10) 2 hr That Fart Guy 722
TX Who do you support for Attorney General in Texa... (Oct '10) Thu Gasman 663
•••
•••
Tatum Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Tatum Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••