Remember New Ken nightlife
WKPA

Harleysville, PA

#8096 Sep 10, 2012
Valley Camp Girl wrote:
<quoted text>I think it is open still, atleast the tracks are still by the water co.and up past Luchetti's. But, I have not been up to Luchetti's junk yard for years! I believe there are people who have paths from the top of the hill. They may have worked on the beach. Or it could be Gary (??) place on the river.
That beach and that land along the river from the bridge to Braeburn is owned by a family in New Kensington. It is posted and only select people are allowed there. However, they have difficulty keeping people out!( these people cause damage!!!)A Car can come to the beach from the Braeburn side but I don't think it can get there from the Luchetti side!
Chuck C

West Palm Beach, FL

#8097 Sep 10, 2012
There is a sure fire way to answer those questions.Call Buddy Ray or Rex Luchetti an ask.I do remember a small beach just north of the bridge on the N.K.side,this beach was a natural run off from the hills.The RR built a small bridge over that run off.There was a natural gas pipeline and pump house there all so.That may be where you seen the posted sign....
easy

Plymouth, MA

#8098 Sep 10, 2012
Valley Camp Girl wrote:
<quoted text>I think it is open still, atleast the tracks are still by the water co.and up past Luchetti's. But, I have not been up to Luchetti's junk yard for years! I believe there are people who have paths from the top of the hill. They may have worked on the beach. Or it could be Gary (??) place on the river.
Thanks......
easy

Plymouth, MA

#8099 Sep 10, 2012
Chuck C wrote:
There is a sure fire way to answer those questions.Call Buddy Ray or Rex Luchetti an ask.I do remember a small beach just north of the bridge on the N.K.side,this beach was a natural run off from the hills.The RR built a small bridge over that run off.There was a natural gas pipeline and pump house there all so.That may be where you seen the posted sign....
CC, This beach is about 1/4 mile from the bridge, up river. The road is off the Right of Way and the beach looks pristine from the bridge. Appears to be sand and a beach unlike "Stumpy"..... It probably won't last the winter run off.....
easy

Plymouth, MA

#8100 Sep 10, 2012
WKPA wrote:
<quoted text>
That beach and that land along the river from the bridge to Braeburn is owned by a family in New Kensington. It is posted and only select people are allowed there. However, they have difficulty keeping people out!( these people cause damage!!!)A Car can come to the beach from the Braeburn side but I don't think it can get there from the Luchetti side!
It is closed now on the Braeburn side a bit south of the the Edgecliff crossing. The road north of the crossing is open....has road traffic above the Dike...There are a series of Boat Docks that front Jacks Island for about the length of Jacks island. At the end of that vehicle access is a Bike/Jogging/Walking Path that terminates up at River Forest.. All paved and good to go.. To get there you turn right onto Arnold Ave at the Old Braeburn Fire Hall and run parall to the mill....
Chuck C

West Palm Beach, FL

#8101 Sep 10, 2012
You must be talking about where the tree swing was in our day behind the mill.The post above where you where talking about look down from bridge A 1/4 mile up from the bridge is right,in my day that beach was run off....
Deb

Leechburg, PA

#8102 Sep 11, 2012
Along the by pass right across from Valley high school is a stone building what was that originally?
WKPA

Harleysville, PA

#8103 Sep 11, 2012
Deb wrote:
Along the by pass right across from Valley high school is a stone building what was that originally?
Wasn't that built during the depression as a public works project? While I was in high school it was used to house equipment to maintain the bypass ( Rt. 56) I think
Chuck C

Miami, FL

#8104 Sep 11, 2012
easy wrote:
<quoted text>CC, This beach is about 1/4 mile from the bridge, up river. The road is off the Right of Way and the beach looks pristine from the bridge. Appears to be sand and a beach unlike "Stumpy"..... It probably won't last the winter run off.....
There was another sandy run off beach about 100 yards up river from where old man Luchetti had his boat dock.A good fishing hole for sun fish,and small mouth bass...
HAGAAaaa

Glenshaw, PA

#8105 Sep 11, 2012
WKPA wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't that built during the depression as a public works project? While I was in high school it was used to house equipment to maintain the bypass ( Rt. 56) I think
I think it was a WPA project. It was, and maybe still is, the city garage. But I think I read as short while ago that the city wanted to sell it. Don't know where they were going to relocate the garage.
easy

Plymouth, MA

#8106 Sep 11, 2012
Chuck C wrote:
You must be talking about where the tree swing was in our day behind the mill.The post above where you where talking about look down from bridge A 1/4 mile up from the bridge is right,in my day that beach was run off....
CC, Yer right. The docks are at the end of Arnold Ave. The swing is right across from the docks a little down river.. Lowe St terminates at the end of the "Dike" and dead ends on the "Dike". The swing is a little up river from that.....

I will get a look at that beach we were talking about..... Going down to Lower Burrell tomorrow AM. I will take a little walk down the river bank from the family homestead.....Going down to the "1957 55th Class Reunion". Mogies on Fri night and Hillcrest CC Sat afternoon....
Beach Buckett

Satellite Beach, FL

#8107 Sep 11, 2012
Deb wrote:
It was WPA built for the city of NK as a general purpose garage. Lots of other activities also took place there. Up the stairs was a boxing club I think run by the Barto's. I thought that sounded like fun and participated for a week or so. Took one in the full face opening of the headgear. Nothing broken, a little blood, and end of a boxing career.. BB
easy

Plymouth, MA

#8108 Sep 11, 2012
WKPA wrote:
<quoted text>
KPA., That was used as a City garage at least up to 1958.... It was located across Powers Dr (Rt780) from the old NK Trade School. Corner of Powers Dr and the new Rt56. What did they do with rhe Trade School Bldg after the new High School opened... At some point it was torn down.
Marge

Glenshaw, PA

#8109 Sep 11, 2012
Beach Buckett wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a little amazed at your instant knowledge of the case and more so of the site you so quickly cited. The officials were well aware of the criminal and also of the actual cause and effects of the entire incident. Immediately after the crime, it was common knowledge who did what and why, but it could never be proven. Things turned out he way they did as a result of the nature of the accused and their own inability to keep what did happen in a straight line. I could never tell the story as it was explained to me for a number of reasons. That changes nothing and is therefore not important in the scheme of things. You hit a home run with that response. I assume you know a lot more about a whole myriad of things from that era. BB
In a related development: Court Upholds Decision to Void Munchinski Murder Conviction http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/reg...
Chuck C

West Palm Beach, FL

#8110 Sep 11, 2012
easy wrote:
<quoted text>CC, Yer right. The docks are at the end of Arnold Ave. The swing is right across from the docks a little down river.. Lowe St terminates at the end of the "Dike" and dead ends on the "Dike". The swing is a little up river from that.....
I will get a look at that beach we were talking about..... Going down to Lower Burrell tomorrow AM. I will take a little walk down the river bank from the family homestead.....Going down to the "1957 55th Class Reunion". Mogies on Fri night and Hillcrest CC Sat afternoon....
Have fun,and remember the brains you will be picking,and why;;;Name games,who name....
Chuck C

West Palm Beach, FL

#8111 Sep 12, 2012
Can anyone guess who is MIA lately?
kalfromtheburg

Monroeville, PA

#8112 Sep 12, 2012
Hi Easy, Long time no talk. Have a great 55th. We had a mini 53rd reunion at the Eagles last Sat. and after went to Buffalo Bills. Had a good show of old friends.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#8113 Sep 12, 2012
Chuck C wrote:
No I can't guess.
Chuck C

Lake Worth, FL

#8114 Sep 12, 2012
KenHi61 wrote:
<quoted text>
No I can't guess.
Not to worry,it sure wasn`t you,I was thinking about.But now that your here have you come to your senses,and voteing for ROMMEY...
Richard

United States

#8115 Sep 12, 2012
Chuck C wrote:
For former military men and women that is a bad term to use,think about it.You could have many people have bad memories again,just think about it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tarentum Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wanted: Ken Penn Amusements Memorabilia, Info,... (Aug '15) Jan 18 bob erwin 4
Bridge (Jul '09) Jan 12 daddenny 22
"Mail Call" (Oct '13) Jan 11 Richard 114
News Lorenzo Freeman dead; former Giants, Steelers D... Jan 10 Robin Freeman 2
Anyone ever hear of these legend hauntings in... (Oct '08) Jan 3 Jay 63
P.R.R. Depot New Kensington 1911 (Oct '09) Dec 25 Pelino 14
Avenue School (Valley School) (May '13) Dec 21 Lydia 8

Tarentum Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance