First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Easy 12

Plymouth, MA

#1 Feb 26, 2012
Okay Boys and Girls, in less then 3 weeks all those with "Irish Ancestry" and those who wannabe will be celebrating their "Heritage" with Corn Beef and Cabbage, and Green Beer.

Parades in NYC, Pitts, Boston, Chicago will be taking place. Those with "Surnames" like O'Brien, McGonagle, McLoud, Patterson, Croghan, Kennedy, Smith, Jones, Murphy,Kelly, O'Sullivan, Ryan, O'Sini, O'Connor, McCarthy, Gallagher, Fitzpatrick, O'Kalene, Fitzhenry, etc, will be celebrating in the streets. March 17, 2012..... Wear the Green...

Thier Ancestry and Heritage is important to them. It used to be that in New Ken every summer there was a Ethnic Picnic at Falcon Park. Ethnic foods were served, ethnic music and entertainment was on hand..... Still some today but not like it used to be....
RICHARD

United States

#2 Feb 26, 2012
Easy 12 wrote:
Okay Boys and Girls, in less then 3 weeks all those with "Irish Ancestry" and those who wannabe will be celebrating their "Heritage" with Corn Beef and Cabbage, and Green Beer.
Parades in NYC, Pitts, Boston, Chicago will be taking place. Those with "Surnames" like O'Brien, McGonagle, McLoud, Patterson, Croghan, Kennedy, Smith, Jones, Murphy,Kelly, O'Sullivan, Ryan, O'Sini, O'Connor, McCarthy, Gallagher, Fitzpatrick, O'Kalene, Fitzhenry, etc, will be celebrating in the streets. March 17, 2012..... Wear the Green...
Thier Ancestry and Heritage is important to them. It used to be that in New Ken every summer there was a Ethnic Picnic at Falcon Park. Ethnic foods were served, ethnic music and entertainment was on hand..... Still some today but not like it used to be....
Yes sir those were the days and i can remember them like yesterday.My wife Jean, aunt always danced at the Syrian picnics there and can you taste the Kibbee and syrian bread with lamb?Reminds me of Corbins on 10th street accross from Adams pool hall.Unfortunately time doesn't stand still.Everyone wouldn't it just be grand to go back in time in a time machine and relive it one more time.What say you all???
Easy 12

Plymouth, MA

#3 Feb 29, 2012
I was checking the origin and meaning of the Irish Surnames today... There was one that caught my eye....... It was "Kennedy" and the origin and Gaelic meaning was "Helmit Head".
Easy 12

Plymouth, MA

#4 Mar 5, 2012
Dial "1" for English....
Jayme

Home, PA

#5 Mar 5, 2012
Easy 12 wrote:
I was checking the origin and meaning of the Irish Surnames today... There was one that caught my eye....... It was "Kennedy" and the origin and Gaelic meaning was "Helmit Head".
actually, it means "ugly headed" or "grandson of Cinnédidh". and what my surname means is pretty irrelevant to anything.
Easy 12

Plymouth, MA

#6 Mar 6, 2012
Jayme wrote:
<quoted text>
actually, it means "ugly headed" or "grandson of Cinnédidh". and what my surname means is pretty irrelevant to anything.
Well, evidently there is a difference of opinion. The source I read was very clear.

Gaelic Equivalent is "O'Cinneide".
Meaning is "Helmit Headed.

Now, there is a difference and I hope that I have been helpful to your mis-understanding of your "Family Heritage"

I don't think you should feel that this is directed at your personal surname. There are probably 10 million Kennedys in the world and it is a general ref to the Kennedy Clan......

I had the honor to vote for one in 1960. JFK. good man.
Jayme

Home, PA

#7 Mar 6, 2012
Easy 12 wrote:
<quoted text>Well, evidently there is a difference of opinion. The source I read was very clear.
Gaelic Equivalent is "O'Cinneide".
Meaning is "Helmit Headed.
Now, there is a difference and I hope that I have been helpful to your mis-understanding of your "Family Heritage"
I don't think you should feel that this is directed at your personal surname. There are probably 10 million Kennedys in the world and it is a general ref to the Kennedy Clan......
I had the honor to vote for one in 1960. JFK. good man.
from three separate sources:
"There are (3) different Translated meanings for the name, 1.Helmeted-head, 2.Ugly-head, 3.Grim-headed."
"Ceannéidigh is a given name derived from the Gaelic words ceann, meaning "head", and éidigh, meaning "ugly".[1] In some etymologies, the element ceann is given as "chief" or "leader".[2] Another possibility is that Kennedy is an Anglicisation of Ó Cinnéide, meaning "grandson of Cinnédidh" or "grandson of Cinnéidigh", with both of these personal names meaning "helmet headed.”[3]"
"Definition: Ugly head; one who had an ugly head"
so, yes. it can mean helmet headed. however, it is generally translated as ugly headed.
and no, it doesn't change how i understand my heritage, because i am not inbred. i am not anywhere near 100% kennedy (or scots-irish, for that matter), so the fact that there are multiple translations for gaelic words means nothing. additionally, there are approximately a quarter million kennedys/kennedies in the world, all of whom are considered to be members of the scottish clan kennedy.
also, it's weird how much your views have changed in the past 60+ years: from thinking that a liberal could possibly be a good man to believing that liberals are basically the root of all evil!
seamus

Harleysville, PA

#8 Mar 6, 2012
What is an Irish seven course dinner?

A Potatoe and a six pack of beer!

Why do we know that Jesus was Irish?

He didn't leave home till he was 35, he had 12 drinking budies and his mother thought he was God!
seamus

Harleysville, PA

#9 Mar 6, 2012
Why did God invent Whiskey?

So Ireland couln't rule the world!
Easy 12

Plymouth, MA

#10 Mar 6, 2012
Well anyway, so much for the Kennedys surname. Probably been called worse then that. I kinda like "Fat Head".

If you were ref to John F Kennedy( Johnny we hardly knew ya) in post #7, that was 52 years ago. A lot of chnges yes, but not in my thinking except to grow it. Because JFK was a Dem does not make him a bad person.

If you were thinking "Liberal" you are wrong.
John Kennedy was not a "Liberal Dem" as most Dems are today. He was more a Conserative/Moderate and understood how the "Free Market" system worked. He knew that if he lowered taxes the economy would rebound.

Not all Dems are "Liberal". A recent case in point is Senator Lieberman Independent CT. Senator Lieberman was a "Conservative Dem" until a recent primary election...... The CT. Dems decided to run a "Liberal Dem" against him the last time he was up for re-election.
Lieberman lost the Primary to the Dem. You see, he didn't kow-tow to the party line. He instead registered as an Independent and beat the Ct Dems at thier own little game. He is still the setting Senator from Ct.

Moral of that story is, not all Dems are Libs, and JFK was certainly not a libber.

Kow-tow-to act submissivley, unresistent
Easy 12

Plymouth, MA

#11 Mar 7, 2012
seamus wrote:
Why did God invent Whiskey?
So Ireland couln't rule the world!
Seamus, Very good.... Now tell me.... did you hear about the 2 "Gay Irishmen"... Thier name was Henry Fitzpatrick and Patrick Fitzhenry.
RICHARD

United States

#12 Mar 10, 2012
Now this could and should be a pleasant discussion.There is so much that could continue on about "Heritage"
Easy 12

Plymouth, MA

#13 Mar 11, 2012
RICHARD wrote:
Now this could and should be a pleasant discussion.There is so much that could continue on about "Heritage"
Richard, I thought so when I first posted on this page........ Either no one has a heritage to recall or respond to or they are ashamed of it. Regardless they have not responded.......... Maybe ashamed because they "dial one" for english.

Margie

Glenshaw, PA

#14 Mar 11, 2012
Easy 12 wrote:
<quoted text>Richard, I thought so when I first posted on this page........ Either no one has a heritage to recall or respond to or they are ashamed of it. Regardless they have not responded.......... Maybe ashamed because they "dial one" for english.
I guess this applies to you as well, since you didn't post anything re your heritage.
Easy 12

Plymouth, MA

#15 Mar 11, 2012
Rich, Here is a little "Heritage" applicable to all....... http//www.archives.org/details /The Last Bomb 1945
Easy 12

Plymouth, MA

#16 Mar 11, 2012
Easy 12 wrote:
Rich, Here is a little "Heritage" applicable to all....... http//www.archives.org/details /The Last Bomb 1945
Rich, Redo....

http://www.archive.org/details/TheLastBomb194...

Lets try this one......
Easy 12

Plymouth, MA

#17 Mar 11, 2012
Margie wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess this applies to you as well, since you didn't post anything re your heritage.
Saw 2 bumper stickers today. One said, "Proud to be English". The other said "British Forever"....

Read my post #1. That is my thoughts on "Heritage". Not having any direct descendents from any "Fatherland" I will declare as I have before "Proud to be American" and "America Forever".

Watch some of that url I posted. That is Heritage. The "Greatest Generation" and the sacrifices they made in Europe and The Far East. Later Korea, Lebanon, Viet Nam and the Middle East.

Now if that is to red, white and blue for you.....what can I tell you.
Easy 12

Plymouth, MA

#18 Mar 12, 2012
Google, You Tube-A soldiers Deck of Cards. Sung by Hank Williams Sr, Tex Ritter, and others.......
RICHARD

United States

#19 Mar 12, 2012
Margie wrote:
<quoted text>
Now be nice and lets have a truce,what do you say.
RICHARD

United States

#20 Mar 18, 2012
Margie wrote:
<quoted text>
Well i could however no one would belive me.Oh i understand "MARGIE" that you graduated in are class at Ken-Hi.Now is that true?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tarentum Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Idiot cops Nov 19 SYLNTGRNIZPPL 1
funzie's sports bar (Jul '08) Nov 10 Wakeupidiots 113
Meet ups Nov 3 Gloria 2
New Kensington Mafia (Sep '08) Oct 29 Tony the blade 223
old friend Oct '17 Firefighterb 1
E. Stella Milko- looking for information on her! (Jun '10) Sep '17 ERC 7
Remember New Ken nightlife (Aug '07) Sep '17 Richard 9,907

Tarentum Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance