Man falls to death at Kaaterskill Falls

Man falls to death at Kaaterskill Falls

There are 12 comments on the www.thedailymail.net story from Jun 15, 2009, titled Man falls to death at Kaaterskill Falls. In it, www.thedailymail.net reports that:

Hudson-Catskill Newspapers

Staff Report

HUNTER - A 32-year-old Georgia man fell to his death while hiking at Kaaterskill Falls Saturday.

The New York State Police at Catskill reported that Jeremy W. Mullins, 32, of Savannah, Ga., succumbed to injuries after he slipped and fell from a trail adjacent to the Kaaterskill Falls in the town of Hunter.

Mullins fell approximately 60 feet, striking the rocks below the trail.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.thedailymail.net.

ailgenorisks

Schenectady, NY

#1 Jun 15, 2009
I would not say a lawsuit is in order - but I would definately say signs should be posted for sure. It surprises me how cavelier people can be. It is slippery there, with shall crumbling beneath your feet.
Last summer I was hiking there (though not to the bowl) and i saw a family - parents and two young children. The children and dog scamperred ahead up towards the bowl. I tried, best I could without interfering to point out the conditions. First I asked if they had been there before. They smiled and said they were just driving by - they were tourists. Then I said - eveyrone feels differently about the risks here, but you should know someone falls every year and it can get pretty slippery.
They didn't seem too concerned - which certainly was their peroggative. I wasn't sure if i over stepped boundaries by advising strangers - and we should each decide for ourselves how to live. BUt I was bothered they didn't really grasp that this was serious bussiness. Especially with their kids so far out of sight, the parents weren't their to determine if the path was safe to walk on or not.
None the less, to be fair, I do think it would be appropriate to post signs "Enjoy yourself, but be very aware paths are slippery and at least one person falls to their death every year"
Gary Rankin

Emmaus, PA

#2 Jan 27, 2010
My heart grieves.... I too, fell down Kaaterskill Falls(70 feet)on Sunday,June 20, 2004. This year,(6/20) falls on the same day-Sunday. I am not paralyzed (although doctors and therapists did not think I would ever walk again. I have suffered a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury), but I praise the Lord I am not "Brain Dead" as many have feared. To be honest, I have difficulties with speech, emotions and fine motor skills becaause of my TBI.

But I want you to know that I GRIEVE FOR YOU, THAT MY HEART TRULY ACHES....I, for a time, wondered why in the world I did not die....I should have! But two things: 1. I am alive to think and feel, as well as to understand your hurt; and 2. Because of this fall I'm now disabled (I walk with a quad-cane and ride a scooter through a rehab facility) and I can now understand the diabled. I am C&MA Chaplain to disabled folks in Allentown, PA.

Yes, I fell, but my FAITH did not fall out of me. My Faith is here to touch you.

Gary Rankin
[email protected]
Patti Ferrara

Ravena, NY

#3 Jan 29, 2010
The Kaatersfalls is a spirit of nature.. I have been there many times to paint, and have had to "warn" the unaware numb thinking visitors what and where they are.. in general, people just smile, not to think about death.. I have asked the parks people about it and have suggusted better signs of caution, but people will do what they want,(including defacing the rocks with graffitti and carving). I don't visit my own Kaaterskill Clove in the summer or weekends. It hurts me to think people abuse my woods and have no respect for themselves let alone nature..The answer is not always to just call the local volunteer rescue angels...
Lamont Cranston

Rockville, MD

#4 Feb 2, 2010
Wet rocks are slippery?
falling 120 feel onto rock can kill?

If this is a revelation to some people, than maybe Kaaterskill falls is doing us a service.

Don't clutter up the beauty of the place with more signs, or cage it in an ugly fence, just because it is providing a demonstration of Darwin's theory.
Mother

Fullerton, CA

#5 May 6, 2010
Lamont Cranston wrote:
Wet rocks are slippery?
falling 120 feel onto rock can kill?
If this is a revelation to some people, than maybe Kaaterskill falls is doing us a service.
Don't clutter up the beauty of the place with more signs, or cage it in an ugly fence, just because it is providing a demonstration of Darwin's theory.
Thank you Lamont for those "brilliant" remarks. You were obviously not the Mother of Jeremy!

Hopefully you will never have to live though the lost of a loved one (especially an only son) in a terrible accident! I would not wish that terrible hurt and pain on even you.
Kristen

Schenectady, NY

#6 May 26, 2010
Mother wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Lamont for those "brilliant" remarks. You were obviously not the Mother of Jeremy!
Hopefully you will never have to live though the lost of a loved one (especially an only son) in a terrible accident! I would not wish that terrible hurt and pain on even you.
I found this forum as I was searching what was out there regarding my father's death... We just lost my Dad this month to a tragic hiking accident in an area close to where you lost your son in the same town. First, let me express my deepest condolences to you... I don't know exactly how you are feeling, but I know what it feels like to lose one of THE closest people in your life. It is the most unimaginable, unbearable pain EVER.

What really gets to me is how INSENSITIVE people can be in these situations (i.e.- Lamont's comments). Luckily, my family has so much support to keep us from falling prey to such tactless people - and TRUST ME, we have already experienced SO MANY thoughtless people! I hope & pray that you too have a wonderful support system.

Unexpected, sudden losses such as these are just so painful on so many levels... The shock of having your loved one taken right out from under you without getting a chance to prepare or say goodbye is one thing... and the tragic circumstance under which you lost your son and I lost my dear Dad is a whole other LEVEL of pain.

I will add you to my prayers... God Bless you and your family.

- Kristen

“Yikes!”

Since: Apr 08

Elka Park

#7 Jun 1, 2010
Kaaterskill Falls is and always has been a very dangerous place if you are not careful. Even if you are careful and knowledgable about the area, things can happen with devastating results. I carried my two sons, 20 and 17, to the upper part of the falls near the old Laurel House a few years ago, and they too had a very cavalier attitude to what I knew to be a very dangerous place. Over the years, I have sort of kept track of the incidents at the falls, and while I don't believe it amounts to one a year, the past five or six years have averaged that. My guess is that more people are trying to see the falls and that the numbers just equal out by percentage. The Catskill Mountains can be a very forboding place at times. My condolences to the families of those who found out first hand.
paul

Catskill, NY

#8 Jul 14, 2013
A sign posted reminding people of the danger that exists there would be o.k. Nothing is idiot-proof and there will always be accidents. People drown on Jones Beach every year.
Peter

Ossining, NY

#9 Oct 30, 2014
Lamont Cranston wrote:
Wet rocks are slippery?
falling 120 feel onto rock can kill?
If this is a revelation to some people, than maybe Kaaterskill falls is doing us a service.
Don't clutter up the beauty of the place with more signs, or cage it in an ugly fence, just because it is providing a demonstration of Darwin's theory.
typical idiotic response.
Ralph DiCarpio

Bronx, NY

#10 Jun 28, 2015
ailgenorisks wrote:
I would not say a lawsuit is in order - but I would definately say signs should be posted for sure. It surprises me how cavelier people can be. It is slippery there, with shall crumbling beneath your feet.
Last summer I was hiking there (though not to the bowl) and i saw a family - parents and two young children. The children and dog scamperred ahead up towards the bowl. I tried, best I could without interfering to point out the conditions. First I asked if they had been there before. They smiled and said they were just driving by - they were tourists. Then I said - eveyrone feels differently about the risks here, but you should know someone falls every year and it can get pretty slippery.
They didn't seem too concerned - which certainly was their peroggative. I wasn't sure if i over stepped boundaries by advising strangers - and we should each decide for ourselves how to live. BUt I was bothered they didn't really grasp that this was serious bussiness. Especially with their kids so far out of sight, the parents weren't their to determine if the path was safe to walk on or not.
None the less, to be fair, I do think it would be appropriate to post signs "Enjoy yourself, but be very aware paths are slippery and at least one person falls to their death every year"
You certainly were correct to earn these folks of the dangers of their folly. It never ceases to amaze me that so many people enter the Catskills with no idea of the dangers that exist and the tragedies that await the unwary. We not only have the right but the responsibility to point out that arrogance and over-confidence often precede disaster.
Nancy

Rochester, MI

#11 Feb 25, 2016
At Yellowstone National Park, people get out of their cars to see the bears, mother bears with cubs, bison, etc. This past year, a park visitor was killed by a bison because he got too close to the animal to get a photograph. There are warning signs all over the place there, telling people to stay in their cars. There will always be some people who ignore the warnings.
Carmela Atria

Brewster, NY

#12 Nov 26, 2016
Thought about hiking alone here as a getaway but am glad to read everyones opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tannersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police: Hunter fatally shoots woman walking dog... Mon River 9
camp meaowbrook (Sep '10) Nov '17 Ivycamper 20
Slater's Smart Shop Oct '17 Anonymous 1
Slum Lords in Woodstock (Jan '09) Aug '17 Dr Nick 24
Camp St. Helene (Mar '06) Jun '17 Tricia 147
News NY priest on leave; abuse claims investigated (Apr '12) Feb '17 Loriq 2
RE:The Turtleneck Inn in Tannersville? (Apr '06) Feb '17 Matt Neeson 9

Tannersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Tannersville Mortgages