Suspect Armed With Hammer Fatally Wounded In Taneytown Police Involved Shooting

Dec 26, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CBS Local

A Carroll County man armed with a hammer and acting disorderly was fatally wounded by a Taneytown Police Department officer when he failed to surrender and advanced threateningly at the officer.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
SillyMimi

Bradenton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

Couldn't the policeman who shot Edward Becker have sprayed something like mace or used tear gas to subdue him? No wonder people are reluctant to call the police.
kevin

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

SillyMimi wrote:
Couldn't the policeman who shot Edward Becker have sprayed something like mace or used tear gas to subdue him? No wonder people are reluctant to call the police.

Police officers are trained by the phrase "only use the amount of force necessary to control the situation". In this case the hammer was being used as a deadly weapon and the subject was proceeding towards the officer with ill intent. Deadly force was warranted in this situation. OC, or "pepper spray" only has an effective range of about 10 feet or so. If spraying was attempted, but failed, the subject could have been able to successfully attack the officer.
Frank

Lexington Park, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

There were 3 trained police officers there, not just 1. It seems to me that 3 trained police officers should be able to disarm a 5'9" 165 lb. suspect without firing firing multiple .40 calibre bullets into his chest. if they had to shoot perhaps a leg or shoulder would have been a more appropriate target since he was only an arms length away.
Kevin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Its easy to sit back and say shoot a leg. With the subject being at arms length with a deadly weapon, and the leg being a small target, if the officer missed the subject has an ample amount of time to strike the officer. If a deadly weapon wasn't involved in this situation then I am sure the officers could have used hand to hand techniques to detain him. Unfortunately because the subject did not heed to MANY commands to drop the weapon deadly force was required and warranted...period! As a police officer responding to an already heightened scene, you have to meet deadly force with deadly force. This mans death is a direct result of his own actions. The officer didn't force this man to approach him with a deadly weapon and who doesn't drop a hammer and stop pursuing a police officer when a gun is pointing at you and an officer is commanding you to drop the weapon? Like I said, easy to sit back and be a critic when you aren't in that situation and your life isn't being threatened by an intoxicated man approaching you with a deadly weapon with the intent to harm you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Taneytown Discussions

Search the Taneytown Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Ex-Bowling Brook counselors arrested (May '07) Jun 29 west baltimore 28
Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) Jun 24 Jon SpellMAN 16
Commute from Emmitsburg to Frederick/Rockville, MD Jun '14 Prim 1
MD Who do you support for Governor in Maryland in ... (Oct '10) Apr '14 fyi 185
Paulas (Nov '13) Nov '13 Clinque 1
Hagerstown Police Academy Graduates 1st Class (Oct '13) Oct '13 housekeepinghagerstown 1
Only grocery store in Union Bridge closes (Dec '08) Sep '13 UB Girl 28
•••
•••
•••
•••

Taneytown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Taneytown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE