No title

There are 21 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Jun 11, 2008, titled No title. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Graphic designers Thomas and Jane Wynn bought a trendy motor scooter three years ago for weekend joy rides; now they use it for their daily commute from Parkville to their jobs at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
John Smith

Washington, DC

#1 Jun 11, 2008
The only concern I have with buying a scooter is the soccer mom issue, those still driving (usually solo) in 9 mpg Yukons, Suburbans and Escalades at 55 mph on side streets. They'll run you over and think it was a speed bump.
John

Manchester, MD

#2 Jun 11, 2008
John Smith wrote:
The only concern I have with buying a scooter is the soccer mom issue, those still driving (usually solo) in 9 mpg Yukons, Suburbans and Escalades at 55 mph on side streets. They'll run you over and think it was a speed bump.
And endlessly blabbing on their cell phones.
Teresa

Baltimore, MD

#3 Jun 11, 2008
I too commute to Baltimore from Hampstead on my maxi scooter. The only problem I have run across is parking garages that don't allow motorcycles or scooters (including the garage that I have a monthly parking pass to) and the influx of pay to park boxes with no place to put the printed receipt and the removal of parking meters for these boxes.

So, I ask, where is a person to park their bike? With the rising gas prices, more and more commuters will be turning to alternative methods of commuting...the City needs to recognize this and devise a solution to the parking challenges motorcyclists face.
RIchard in Ellicott City

Dundalk, MD

#4 Jun 11, 2008
I have a Yamaha Scooter. It is fun and economical. I also have a sedan, suv and minivan in my family, so I can pick a means of transportation according to need. As mentioned above, unaware and inconsiderate drivers are my number one fear when driving the scooter. That fear overpowers any cost savings I could expect and often dictates my driving choices.
ken baltimore

Baltimore, MD

#5 Jun 11, 2008
I ride a bicycle and a scooter. Protection is of course important. So is defensive driving. But, I have found the most overlooked element to safety that two-wheelers have is concern for their VISIBILITY. Yes, you can have a helmet on, but can people SEE YOU? I try to have something colorful/bright on during the day- important especially if the color of your bike is dull. At night, in addition to one's lights (this incudes bicycles, friends- front and rear) reflective gear is important. Remember, you are often seen from the SIDE, so something bright/lit/reflective on your bike or clothing is important for that.
Just ask yourslef when you hop on your bike/scoot, will they see me, and how am I helping meet that goal?
Pete

Greenbelt, MD

#6 Jun 11, 2008
I hear that about parking. I had a scooter in Baltimore a few years back and the city seems to have no idea what to do about them.
The cops were clueless about the laws regarding them. Even though MD has laws allowing scooters to operate without plates (if under certain HP, not CC's as article states), without Motorcycle license or insurance, the cops would pull me over as if I were operating a dirtbike/motocross bike on the streets illegally.
The city's laws on this are vague but according to our state's constitution where state and local laws conflict the state law wins. I wish someone would hip baltimore's cops to this fact...
Dunn

Sykesville, MD

#7 Jun 11, 2008
Scooters are great fun and very economical if you live in the city or other areas condusive for them. I ride my scooter on every nice day. It sips gas - 80 miles to the gallon. *Please don't buy the Chinese brands, you will thank yourself later. Also, I never have a problem w/ city cops.
Tim

Hunt Valley, MD

#8 Jun 11, 2008
I'm all for saving gas, and therefore reducing CO2 emissions in order to help curb global warming, but those small engines have no emission requirements, meaning that they're emitting MORE of certain types of pollutants than the average vehicle. As a result, those population groups which are more susceptible to high levels of summer-time pollution (the young and infirm) are greatly affected by a cyclists' decisions to save a buck.

Since: Aug 07

Rochester, MI

#9 Jun 11, 2008
I personally take my Ruby 2007 Honda Metropolitan to work everyday from Hampden to Towson. It's a lot of fun! I do, however, wear proper protection - it's essential.

To reinforce Dunn's comment above -a bit of a buyer beware on cheap, Chinese-made scooters - they often don't have standardized electrical systems, and parts can be very hard to find. When buying one, make sure to ask the dealer if they regularly keep parts in stock for them. It's often a better idea to save yourself the money in the future by buying a Honda, Yamaha, or Kymco, if not opting for the more expensive Vespas.
Dunn

Sykesville, MD

#11 Jun 11, 2008
Tim wrote:
I'm all for saving gas, and therefore reducing CO2 emissions in order to help curb global warming, but those small engines have no emission requirements, meaning that they're emitting MORE of certain types of pollutants than the average vehicle. As a result, those population groups which are more susceptible to high levels of summer-time pollution (the young and infirm) are greatly affected by a cyclists' decisions to save a buck.
So buy a 4 Stroke. Yes, the better brands are more efficent and burn less.
Dave

Hyattsville, MD

#12 Jun 11, 2008
Yeah, try driving one on the I-695 and I-95 routes. I will give your life expectency 30 minutes. These scooters may be nice and cheap, but I can guarantee you that if someone hits you (and they eventually will) your survial rate and injury rate is going to be low. I drive a 4 cyl. vehicle and get reasonably good gas mileage and more importantly do not drive when not necessary. I drive 80 miles per day and fill up once a week. If the car manufacturers would have made small & gas efficient cars and people purchased them (after the Carter gas lines)gas would be more plentiful, cheaper, and the air cleaner. But, no .... the soccer moms needed Tahoes and large 8 cyl. SUVs to drive their kids around. And, the "boys" need their big 8 cyl. hummers and ram charge pickemups. The citizens have contributed to the problem of high gas, it is simple the less you buy the less they can charge. There is a good side of the gas increase, now I think maybe the Government lawmakers will get off of their butts and do something and people will curtail their use of gas.
GMan

Rockville, MD

#13 Jun 11, 2008
Blah blah blah Soccer Moms blah blabber blah V-8 blah blah speed bump blabberblabber blabber....

Be careful on your scooters, motorists keep your eyes open.
BusaMan

Brooklyn, MD

#14 Jun 11, 2008
The former goat roper wearing the bike helmet and the cutoffs is a prime candidate for some serious road rash. Just fork out $3000 or so for a decent 250cc motorcycle, get some riding gear, and ditch those throw-away toys.
Dunn

Sykesville, MD

#15 Jun 11, 2008
BusaMan wrote:
The former goat roper wearing the bike helmet and the cutoffs is a prime candidate for some serious road rash. Just fork out $3000 or so for a decent 250cc motorcycle, get some riding gear, and ditch those throw-away toys.
They are very cool in the city. No insurance, no tags... Don't tell.
Dunn

Sykesville, MD

#16 Jun 11, 2008
BusaMan wrote:
BTW: I think your idea is suburban.

Rochester, MI

#17 Jun 11, 2008
Dave wrote:
Yeah, try driving one on the I-695 and I-95 routes. I will give your life expectency 30 minutes. These scooters may be nice and cheap, but I can guarantee you that if someone hits you (and they eventually will) your survial rate and injury rate is going to be low. I drive a 4 cyl. vehicle and get reasonably good gas mileage and more importantly do not drive when not necessary. I drive 80 miles per day and fill up once a week. If the car manufacturers would have made small & gas efficient cars and people purchased them (after the Carter gas lines)gas would be more plentiful, cheaper, and the air cleaner. But, no .... the soccer moms needed Tahoes and large 8 cyl. SUVs to drive their kids around. And, the "boys" need their big 8 cyl. hummers and ram charge pickemups. The citizens have contributed to the problem of high gas, it is simple the less you buy the less they can charge. There is a good side of the gas increase, now I think maybe the Government lawmakers will get off of their butts and do something and people will curtail their use of gas.
FYI, most 50cc scooters (which the article specifically mentions) top out at ~42 MPH, 45 if you're anorexic. They aren't allowed on major highways, and it is encouraged that you drive on the right side of the street, in case someone needs to pass you. I tend to drive mine in the bike lane up Roland Ave.!
ken baltimore

Baltimore, MD

#18 Jun 12, 2008
Shari F wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI, most 50cc scooters (which the article specifically mentions) top out at ~42 MPH, 45 if you're anorexic. They aren't allowed on major highways, and it is encouraged that you drive on the right side of the street, in case someone needs to pass you. I tend to drive mine in the bike lane up Roland Ave.!
Really? You tend to drive yours in the bike lane up Roland Ave.? Even if you're going somewhere that Roland Avenue doesn't go?
Joking, of course. As mentioned above, I bike And scoot. I don't really think it's legal, by the way, to travel in a motorized vehicle- which as scooter is- in a Bike Lane. If you are driving the earlier-type moped with pedals, that's would be different. I could be wrong, of course, since the legal definition of "moped" has changed to the current 49.5cc scooter w/o pedals that maxes out at 30mph, I beleive.
I live in that area. Any scooter though, should be able to sustain and command its place in the regular drivers lane, since the minimal top speed of any scooter matches the speed limit on Roland.

B'More, MD and Lake County, FL

#19 Jun 12, 2008
Teresa wrote:
I too commute to Baltimore from Hampstead on my maxi scooter. The only problem I have run across is parking garages that don't allow motorcycles or scooters (including the garage that I have a monthly parking pass to) and the influx of pay to park boxes with no place to put the printed receipt and the removal of parking meters for these boxes.
So, I ask, where is a person to park their bike? With the rising gas prices, more and more commuters will be turning to alternative methods of commuting...the City needs to recognize this and devise a solution to the parking challenges motorcyclists face.
What route do you take from Hampstead to Baltimore? Falls Road all the way down?
Carissa

Nashville, TN

#20 Jun 20, 2008
Shari F wrote:
I personally take my Ruby 2007 Honda Metropolitan to work everyday from Hampden to Towson. It's a lot of fun! I do, however, wear proper protection - it's essential.
To reinforce Dunn's comment above -a bit of a buyer beware on cheap, Chinese-made scooters - they often don't have standardized electrical systems, and parts can be very hard to find. When buying one, make sure to ask the dealer if they regularly keep parts in stock for them. It's often a better idea to save yourself the money in the future by buying a Honda, Yamaha, or Kymco, if not opting for the more expensive Vespas.
Hey there-
I'll be joining you on that commute from Hampden to Towson! I've moving to your area next week. Wave if you see a seaform green Kymco!
Joe

Gwynn Oak, MD

#21 Jun 20, 2008
John wrote:
<quoted text>
And endlessly blabbing on their cell phones.
While doing their makeup and yelling at the kids. Those women should be required to get a Class B license to drive one of those tanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Taneytown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ex-Bowling Brook counselors arrested (May '07) May '17 J Brown house II 33
Silver Oak Academy Prison School (Feb '10) May '17 Bowling Brook Stu... 26
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) Mar '17 Bill Grimes-Wyatt 20
Bowling Brook Prep (Jan '06) Feb '17 jstanley 2005 bbp 702
Problems Mount For SILVER OAK ACADEMY Owner O... (Mar '15) May '16 Truth and wisdom 9
Victor Cullen to Change Strategies (Jan '16) Jan '16 Mac Come 1
News Quantell Exec. Gets 1 Year In Defense Contracti... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Done Wrong By the... 1

Taneytown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Taneytown Mortgages