Ex-Bowling Brook counselors arrested

Apr 24, 2007 | Posted by: Baltimore Sun | Full story: Baltimore Sun

“This is a tragedy across the board”

Five of the six former counselors at Bowling Brook Preparatory School who were indicted last week on charges related to the death of an East Baltimore teenager on Jan. 23 were processed at Carroll County Central Booking and released on their own recognizance today, officials said.

Each has been charged with a single count of reckless endangerment in connection with the death of Isaiah Simmons, 17, at the school for juvenile offenders. The charge is a misdemeanor with a maximum penalty of five years imprisonment and a $5,000 fine. Read more

Comments
1 - 20 of 28 Comments Last updated Sunday Jun 29
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
resighned staff member

Butler, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2007

I was employed at bowling brook prep school after 6 years of expierence from summit academy in herman pa this school practices very non compliant restraint techniques. Individuals in charge and who lead trininvg of new staff members were not qualified to do so, i had been in many retraints as a Team Leader at summit and i never seen nant restraint last longer than 20 minutes were at bowling brook it was common to see particuraly the men indicted practice 2 to 4 hour restraints this schhol was very unprofessinal and the team leader who is suppose to be your best and most trained staff was not the case at bowling brook infact one of the men indicted was promoted to team leader after only being a staff member at the facllity for less than a year and just out of college i resighned my position there because many times i voiced my opinion of the unsafe practices and i was continually engaged in direction from team leaders on tivial matters due to them wanting me to qwuit, this is a blessing to all the families of the children that this school closed i mean the former director of cummunity living was evicted fro a apartment what kind of rule models were working there
resighned staff member

Butler, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2007

Mark sanatio, shaddi Sabbach,jason Robinson and Jesie Sowyer did these things routinley better known as the STOGES these men were not capable or qulified to be in the positions they were in very little expierience and were very agressive with students particuraly jessie sowyer and jason robinson this robinson is 6, 3 300 lbs could he not controll students just with his presence no he wassoft and resorted to tactics tought to him by the three stoges, Reopen the school with qualified staff MIke Sunday is as much responsible for this as he staff his lead directors past jim marak and present Mark Sanatio both clowns one fat clown and one short lown Mike Sundat is a graet man with alot of care for kids he just needs a good director of community living not a fat man who became involed in many illega activites or a short man with napoleon complex mike sunday open your eyes jim marak and mark sanatio destroyed every thing you bulit i tried to teel you about tis back when i resighned but you thougght i was the issue no i know how to work with kids jim maak was a lowly court rep at summit he had no clue how to run a programm his brother joer yes same problem at summit is going to happen with zBrison Twatman and Jeff Bacher in charge thes are people who got picked on in high school and let there position of power go to ther head shame on you mike sunday and sam cozstanzo will be in the same situation watch and see JIM mArak I mean come on your better off puting the students in charge this man didnt even have a place to live or clothes for awhile and he was programm director he spent more time in baltimore with illegal womoen than at the school
resighned staff member

Butler, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2007

i have truly ben blessed to work with students and still while in another proffession have students from bowling brook prep and summit academy call me but i was forced to reighn my position at bowling brook and summit academy with a docters approved sickness leave see these facilities talk a great game that they are in this for the love of kids and that was true in the early years of these schools but as they took in so many students for money reasons it becomes harder to run the school so at the cost of taKING A CHANCE TO MENDANGER ONES LIFE THEY RULE BY FEAR i wastold many times by Jim Marak, Mark Sanatio and Jessie Sowyer to restrain students and the things Jessie Sowyer did was terrible he actually got off when he heard a studernt cry for students sake dont make the mistake of employing him at any school these staff Chris Umberger included use to tell me iwas to hard on the student but students respected me ,big lou for who i was and i never as many restraints as i was in ever hurt a student so Fat Chris FAt joe MArak and to all of youi who got arrested good i work for a state get that a state ran facility and have real killers and sex offenders to work withh you guys cant even make in juve kidylandwith out hurting i sorry killig a student than wait 40 minutes to call 911 what the hell were you stoges thinking you all should get manslaughter charger and to the family of whos son died i would love to testify that practices were unsafe at bowlig brook it should reopen with the proper people in charge.M. Sanitio was the master mind behinhd it all i gurantee it he probably was the one along with the puppet jason robinson who said he is faking sleeping come on you dumb asses ever here of checking a pulse i hope M. Sanatio. D. Harding, J.Robinson M. Carratiget what they deseve and that at least one year of jail time i feel bad for S> Sabbach, And B> Kanavy for falling into M. Sanatio games MR. Napoleon complex MR. Mark ounce said i was a aal star at this job well i wonder why he feared me because i would of eventually took his job and things like this would never happen ther was staff who came to work after all night ofd cpartying and i heard that from a secratary who said many counslers partied with her and used cocaine no drug test were ever administerd to any stafff at this facility
resighned staff member

Butler, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2007

i was forced to resign by M. Sunday who sat there after i told him about M. Sanatio, S. Sabbach. J. robinson and j> Sowywer that they are going to kill a student and he refused to listen staing well you better resighn because they are not going any were. Mr > Jessie was constantly having students do task for hours shoveling snow with dixie cups is this even hunane then he would laugh about it in meetings, I thought Summit Academy was bad well this place was even worse. We need more state ran facilities and we need ones for minor offenders these pivate institutions are only in it for the money i no this first hand if you did not restrain kids at bowling brook you were shunned by staff members and upper management. Look at the size as these facilities get bigger ther is not adaquate staff to run these facilities numbers were a major factor at times it is 60 students and 4 staff you need a qulified crisis interventrion team on staff at all times this way if something happens you can leave your cpunslers with the other students while a team of three senior qulified i sterrs qualified staff deal with the aggresive student
Flabbergasted

Galena, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

resighned staff member wrote:
i was forced to resign by M. Sunday who sat there after i told him about M. Sanatio, S. Sabbach. J. robinson and j> Sowywer that they are going to kill a student and he refused to listen staing well you better resighn because they are not going any were. Mr > Jessie was constantly having students do task for hours shoveling snow with dixie cups is this even hunane then he would laugh about it in meetings, I thought Summit Academy was bad well this place was even worse. We need more state ran facilities and we need ones for minor offenders these pivate institutions are only in it for the money i no this first hand if you did not restrain kids at bowling brook you were shunned by staff members and upper management. Look at the size as these facilities get bigger ther is not adaquate staff to run these facilities numbers were a major factor at times it is 60 students and 4 staff you need a qulified crisis interventrion team on staff at all times this way if something happens you can leave your cpunslers with the other students while a team of three senior qulified i sterrs qualified staff deal with the aggresive student
It is absolutely unbelievable that you weren't taken seriously; by anyone. Maybe a spelling bee would be a better direction for you.
concerned

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2007

Flabbergasted wrote:
<quoted text>
It is absolutely unbelievable that you weren't taken seriously; by anyone. Maybe a spelling bee would be a better direction for you.
It is absolutely unbelievable to me me that all you mentally retained from this...was the spelling..and people wonder why we had such a hard time trying to covey our concerns and getting rectifications
x bbp student

Cresco, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2007

Flabbergasted wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry flabbergasted its not that hard to believe. In order to fit in at bbp who must learn to go with the flow so to speak. you have to learn to fit there mold anyone who differs from that mold is considered an outcast. Take it from an x student. when i was there it was so hard for me to get any status. When i came to bowling brook i never got in trouble very often was never restrained never got what they called a touch for attention. It was expected that when a child came to bbp they would act like a total jackass for a few months and then straighten out and fit their mold. I on the other hand was not like that i never really was all that defiant i did commit a crime to be sent to bbp and i can addmit that i was wrong. In short if your not like everyone else you do not ontain the respect you deserve. And in turn as a student you can not be reccomended to leave if you dont fit their mold. I feel bad to say it but i dont think i would be out of there yet if that kid had not died.
John

Princeton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2007

If this is truly Lou (resigned staff member) all the people you mentioned looked liked puppy dogs compared to you. 90% of what you just wrote is ridculous and outragous. By the way your name calling wasn't exactly a good way to build credibility. I know who you are and I know you did not just resign, that may have been an option but you were out the door one way or another. And it was not because of the so called (dirt) you were spilling, It was because you acted unstable. Trust me 90% of the staff voiced this to Jim Marak. Jim Marak was the only thuing that even allowed you to stay at BBP as long as you were. As for the kids respecting you they feared you, you were notorious for touching a kid for attention for things that were not even considered infractions. Such is why you had so many supervisions and suspensions without pay. So feel free to voice your opinion about BBP, but don't think for a minute about putting yourself on a pedastool, because everyone knows you really did do a lot of dirt!
James

Princeton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2007

Big Lou was a Bi-Polar nut! I thank God he was not their for my entire stay. I personally saw him pulled out of restraints for having malice towards the kids
James

Princeton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2007

To: xbbp student Sorry flabbergasted its not that hard to believe. In order to fit in at bbp who must learn to go with the flow so to speak. you have to learn to fit there mold anyone who differs from that mold is considered an outcast. Take it from an x student. when i was there it was so hard for me to get any status. When i came to bowling brook i never got in trouble very often was never restrained never got what they called a touch for attention. It was expected that when a child came to bbp they would act like a total jackass for a few months and then straighten out and fit their mold. I on the other hand was not like that i never really was all that defiant i did commit a crime to be sent to bbp and i can addmit that i was wrong. In short if your not like everyone else you do not ontain the respect you deserve. And in turn as a student you can not be reccomended to leave if you dont fit their mold. I feel bad to say it but i dont think i would be out of there yet if that kid had not died.

I did not know that being respectful, changing, and graduating was the mold, if it was, thank God because BBP changed my life.
x bbp student

Williamsport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2007

to james well if your life has infact been changed then you are one of the very few i would bet that a hell of alot more go back to the same life as before than the ones who change. bbp has the same odds as changing somebody as any other placement. there is nothing special in how they change someone it all depends on what the kid wants
RJ groves

Easton, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2007

i've been home from bbp for about a year and a half, and i can say that my stay there made me mentally strong. u had to be, those who werent cracked everyday under the pressure. did staff do things to us kids that they had no business? of course, the overstep a bunch of boundaries, but what were we supposed to do? nothing we had to take.i hope mr mark, mr jessi, and mr jason get wit they deserve.
1st from Deleware County

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2007

James wrote:
Big Lou was a Bi-Polar nut! I thank God he was not their for my entire stay. I personally saw him pulled out of restraints for having malice towards the kids
James Trott Ur still mad about having no status haha f they can keep their status
Howard 2005-2007

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2007

I can understand what you are saying it was messed up and to think they was going to come and grab me out the kitchen to monitor the restraint. I had status in a whole other way. i was the longest excutive thoroughbred there and i still say it was not worth all the drama yeah did good in school but it wasn't worth it. And Lou was a nut, James Trott you pretebding you hated BBP i sat down and talked to you. Almost everybody knew me. If i spit in your food or gave you a little scoop oh well. Well you already know who this is if you went there Philly ALL Day.
1st from Deleware County

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2007

Howard 2005-2007 wrote:
I can understand what you are saying it was messed up and to think they was going to come and grab me out the kitchen to monitor the restraint. I had status in a whole other way. i was the longest excutive thoroughbred there and i still say it was not worth all the drama yeah did good in school but it wasn't worth it. And Lou was a nut, James Trott you pretebding you hated BBP i sat down and talked to you. Almost everybody knew me. If i spit in your food or gave you a little scoop oh well. Well you already know who this is if you went there Philly ALL Day.
I know u werent spittin in my food
Howard 2005-2007

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2007

I don't know I might have it depends, who are you?
va va

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2007

I worked at bowling brook with jesse he use to try to restrain kids. jesse, corey, big john, all those guys. I was in meetings and jesse would say we are going to ride such and such kid today it was all a big game to them. they fired workers if they didnt like you or if they felt you were a threat I remeber the fired stan. the workers who were to stay overnight use to go out and party all night and then try to pull a 12 hr shift. This is a fact cause i use to work with them and go out with them. I wonder what ever happen to boomer he was all for the kids and waht abou joel pechart some of those guys were for the kids the rest of you. i hope you get what is coming to you I cant forget about drunk man steve he use to come to work with liquor on his breath. Mike Coradi quit and then came back i wonder what his kid thinks about that.
1st from Deleware County

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2007

Howard 2005-2007 wrote:
I don't know I might have it depends, who are you?
Razano
brandon

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2010

x bbp student wrote:
to james well if your life has infact been changed then you are one of the very few i would bet that a hell of alot more go back to the same life as before than the ones who change. bbp has the same odds as changing somebody as any other placement. there is nothing special in how they change someone it all depends on what the kid wants
is this thourough bred james
brandon

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2010

t.bred james ? im on fb beasta king

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Taneytown Discussions

Search the Taneytown Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) Jun 24 Jon SpellMAN 16
Commute from Emmitsburg to Frederick/Rockville, MD Jun '14 Prim 1
MD Who do you support for Governor in Maryland in ... (Oct '10) Apr '14 fyi 185
Paulas (Nov '13) Nov '13 Clinque 1
Hagerstown Police Academy Graduates 1st Class (Oct '13) Oct '13 housekeepinghagerstown 1
Only grocery store in Union Bridge closes (Dec '08) Sep '13 UB Girl 28
MD Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in M... (Oct '10) Aug '13 Tim the Bagger 43
•••
•••
•••
Taneytown Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Taneytown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••