Climate-linked disease injures Alaska's salmon

Full story: Baltimore Sun

With a sickening thud, another hefty and handsome salmon lands in the waste barrel, headed for the dogs.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Goldwater Guy

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

I wonder what Sarah Palin would say to this?
BushBot

Woodbridge, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2008

Parasites are part of the food chain. Habitat scientist cannot ignore this but may have little effect in quelling the problem. Be it man-made climate change or just plain climate change, the salmon will eventually evolve past this parasite, but it may take several years for it to happen. Salmon have been around for a long long time and I don't think that a parasite will be able to take them all out. I have my doubts about the alarm.

In the Gaia hypothesis, James Lovelock stated that the entire mass of living matter on Earth (or any planet with life) functions as a vast homeostatic superorganism that actively modifies its planetary environment to produce the environmental conditions necessary for its own survival. In this view, the entire planet maintains homeostasis. Whether this sort of system is present on Earth is still open to debate. However, some relatively simple homeostatic mechanisms are generally accepted. For example, when atmospheric carbon dioxide levels rise, certain plants are able to grow better and thus act to remove more carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. When sunlight is plentiful and atmospheric temperature climbs, the phytoplankton of the ocean surface waters thrive and produce more dimethyl sulfide, DMS. The DMS molecules act as cloud condensation nuclei, which produce more clouds, and thus increase the atmospheric albedo and this feeds back to lower the temperature of the atmosphere. As scientists discover more about Gaia, vast numbers of positive and negative feedback loops are being discovered, that, together, maintain a metastable condition, sometimes within very broad range of environmental conditions.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Tanana Discussions

Search the Tanana Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Charge: Alaska man, 19, shot troopers from behind Jun 18 Sneaky Pete 3
Yukon Men: Is Tanana presented realistically en... (Aug '12) May '14 Tom 39
Cost to build a house in Tanana Apr '14 Hmm 2
wow (Dec '12) Nov '13 Conky Joe 2
Troopers investigating apparent horse molestati... (Aug '13) Aug '13 mrbgibs 1
hand knitted hats (Apr '13) Apr '13 Rita 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Alaska (Di... (Oct '10) Apr '13 gee 6
•••
•••