Nielsen's Local Layoffs In 'Mid-Doubl...

Nielsen's Local Layoffs In 'Mid-Double Digits' As It Shifts Res...

There are 11 comments on the Media Info Center story from May 2, 2007, titled Nielsen's Local Layoffs In 'Mid-Double Digits' As It Shifts Res.... In it, Media Info Center reports that:

TV ratings giant Nielsen Media Research began cutting jobs Monday in the Tampa area as it devotes more resources to modernizing how it measures which shows Americans watch.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Media Info Center.

bruce from clearwater

Tampa, FL

#1 May 2, 2007
This is a typical business story where the love of money is the bottom line, regardless of the impact to people as a result.

Investors and business have the right to economize and modernize, but behind the scenes in manny of these stories, is a shift to cheaper labor via foreign workers, here and abroad.

I see it everywhere I work or travel. I have been in technology for 35 years, and I see the eventual elimination of the American born domestic labor force.

So, who will buy the products and services of the 'new business culture' if we are all in a trash heap of unemployment and discarded formerly loyal American workers????

I have started a business to compensate me when I am out of work, being laid off or released 4 times in 5 years, after training foreign workers, or making room for them. Come join me, and get out of the syndrome of only one source of income. Bruce
[email protected]
Concerned

Mulberry, FL

#2 May 3, 2007
It looks like even the CIO's are concerned.

Maybe it should be a 5 or 6 year contract?
Concerned

Mulberry, FL

#3 May 3, 2007
Diezel

Dunedin, FL

#4 May 7, 2007
It's all about corporate greed. Nielsen Media Research has never lost any money, they have no competition, and have always found ways to make more money through their ongoing development of services and products they offer their customers. The people that I know who got laid off, including myself, had plenty of work to do. And we were told there was more going to be on our plate as the year progressed. So for them to just pick and choose willy nilly to give us the ax is only to give what I was told in my "dear john" speech from my VP as I was getting the ax is that the new investors "wanted a better profit margin", so they decided to eliminate many positions, including mine. I hope that erinMedia winds up winning their suit against this new "Nielsen Company" because they truly are a monopoly and need to be taken down.
Zoo

Pinckard, AL

#5 May 24, 2007
On one hand I feel soory for the decent people that have been at Neilsen for many years and are betrayed with a layoff.On the other hand now some of the old timers who think they own the place and who are ignorent of business protocol, like slobs who go running directly to the boss's boss's boss to complain about the original boss's underling, are going to see what it is like in the real world where they dont put up with that crap. I know you reazd this.Maybe you could get a job as a high school girl's volleyball coach, Loser.
Bitter Pill

Clearwater, FL

#6 Jun 12, 2007
Zoo wrote:
On one hand I feel soory for the decent people that have been at Neilsen for many years and are betrayed with a layoff.On the other hand now some of the old timers who think they own the place and who are ignorent of business protocol, like slobs who go running directly to the boss's boss's boss to complain about the original boss's underling, are going to see what it is like in the real world where they dont put up with that crap. I know you reazd this.Maybe you could get a job as a high school girl's volleyball coach, Loser.
Who in the heck are you talking about and what kind of word is "soory"?
Yeah Hi_

Louisville, KY

#7 Jun 14, 2007
Zoo wrote:
Your name made me laugh. There was a Radcliff employee walking the halls saying "This place is a zoo... a freakin zoo" the other day. I half wonder if she's trying to get fired sometimes.
Zoo

Pinckard, AL

#8 Jul 5, 2007
Bitter Pill wrote:
<quoted text>
Who in the heck are you talking about and what kind of word is "soory"?
"Soory" is in the same category as the word "ignorent". It's called a "typo". As for the moron I am talking about, if it doesn't fit your description then you should remain ignorant of who it is.
update

San Jose, CA

#9 Jul 5, 2007
any word on more layoffs in FL, I heard that there might be layoffs in the field operations side too
Publix IT Recruiter

Lakeland, FL

#10 Jul 17, 2007
On a more positive note, Publix Super Markets, Inc. is hiring for a variety of positions here in Tampa Bay (Lakeland, FL). If any of you are interested please email me your resume to [email protected]
Bogiefla

Saint Petersburg, FL

#11 Dec 12, 2007
Today at Field Dist Center/Oldsmar they had effiency experts walking around having meetings with the bosses.
Oh... I cant wait till January!!!
Chaz

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tampa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Florida woman wins $590.5m Powerball jackpot (May '13) 16 min Dig Gravers 46
Great builders near Land O Lakes Odessa area? 23 hr JakeM 1
Review: Youthful Reflexion Sat outoftowner 2
Debra Lafave student (Aug '08) May 20 AlmostGone 25
fox 13 should replace russell rhodes (Jan '11) May 19 Papps 97
Adult theater May 17 Anthony Scarpuzzi... 3
News Lawsuit Alleges Illegal Debt Collection Practic... (May '07) May 16 msgal 318
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Tampa Mortgages