Could a mailbox prevent death?

Could a mailbox prevent death?

There are 124 comments on the WTSP Tampa Bay story from Nov 2, 2007, titled Could a mailbox prevent death?. In it, WTSP Tampa Bay reports that:

Apollo Beach, Florida Ray Romer's daughter was critically injured in a crash in Apollo Beach last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTSP Tampa Bay.

Kim Grooms

Lakeland, FL

#125 Mar 9, 2008
I just wish that the people on here would grow up. I knew Rachel from high school and have many pictures of us together and I will miss her very much. I didnt know Brittany and I dont blame her for Rachel dying.God wanted both of them home and now he does.Its kind of stuiped to fight over the internet anyways.Everyone is going to be angry at someone for this but thats not what rachel or brittany wanted so let them rest in peace and leave there families to mourn.I miss rachel everyday and just hope that she is happy in heaven.
Mara

Tampa, FL

#126 Apr 1, 2008
I would not normally do this kind of thing but, I found this site when I googled the accident. I met Brittany once, I gave her some highlights and we talked a lot about the accident, I was struck by her sorrow and how much she regretted every moment of that day! I was saddened when I heard she had killed herself, she had expressed to me her fear of prison but knew she had to face what was going to come and tried every day to be optimistic! She left a mark on me, I thought hard about the whole accident and how I would feel if my daughter had been in that car, would I be able to forgive and still don't if I would be able to but it made remember there are both sides to every story, and what I brought home to my family is the fact that this was a tragedy and driving safely is very important and that I never want to be on either side of an accident like that! I think what every one needs to remember whether these girls were driving recklessly or not there intention was not end up in a horrific accident ,we were all young once (not an excuse) and forgiveness is what I am sure these girls and God would want everyone to do! I would also suggest to some of you who seem to have a lot of time on your hands to get angry over things, maybe you should put some of that negative energy toward good!! And I also hope that none of you ever have to go through this! And to both families my heart goes out to you!
Fr Murphy

Bradenton, FL

#127 Apr 1, 2008
Mara wrote:
I would not normally do this kind of thing but, I found this site when I googled the accident. I met Brittany once, I gave her some highlights and we talked a lot about the accident, I was struck by her sorrow and how much she regretted every moment of that day! I was saddened when I heard she had killed herself, she had expressed to me her fear of prison but knew she had to face what was going to come and tried every day to be optimistic! She left a mark on me, I thought hard about the whole accident and how I would feel if my daughter had been in that car, would I be able to forgive and still don't if I would be able to but it made remember there are both sides to every story, and what I brought home to my family is the fact that this was a tragedy and driving safely is very important and that I never want to be on either side of an accident like that! I think what every one needs to remember whether these girls were driving recklessly or not there intention was not end up in a horrific accident ,we were all young once (not an excuse) and forgiveness is what I am sure these girls and God would want everyone to do! I would also suggest to some of you who seem to have a lot of time on your hands to get angry over things, maybe you should put some of that negative energy toward good!! And I also hope that none of you ever have to go through this! And to both families my heart goes out to you!
Very nice.
lacey

Houston, TX

#128 Apr 25, 2008
I recently moved from Apollo Beach to Orlando and it was my birthday and Brittnay was one of my only friends that came to help celebrate my day with me. She was so full of life. Her personality is what made my party.This is only one story of how i really enjoyed and loved Brittnay's presence. I was deeply saddened when i herd about Brittnay's tragic death. I really wish i would have found out in time to attened her funeral. I would still love to go and pay my respects at her grave so if anyone could tell me her burial site that would mean alot to me.
Missy

Bradenton, FL

#129 Jun 8, 2008
KJCavalier wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter so much if we know her or not. The act she pulled was more to the point. I am certain she isn't a monster, but she didn't even think that her actions would cause such a horrible reaction. She lost a friend, parents lost a daughter. Wh knows what else was lost. She did a wreckless act, without any reguard to anyone around her. This deosnt say she isn't a sweet girl, just one who didn't think. Now she must face the courts for her actions.
yeah she's also dead now. so you guys can shut up cause she DIED. just like rachel..hope you guys are happy
Missy Ledea

Bradenton, FL

#130 Jun 27, 2008
I can't explain how hard everyday is. Jay, it's Missy. Glenn's sister. I'm so sorry you had to lose Britt. I looked up to her so much. I remember when I was younger and her and Glenn would skateboard I always thought, I want to be just like her. I still do. I hope I touch people's lives the way she touched everyone's, mine included. I haven't slept well since I heard the news and unfortunately didn't find out until June 8th, but I still miss her. I stay up til ridiculous hours in the morning crying because she was like the sister I never had. You all sit here and judge but not one of you have been in her shoes, not one. Imagine killing your best friend, the guilt that stems from that. She took full responsibility. She turned herself in and she knew what she was facing. She felt like she had NOONE because everyone was so against her, yet you didn't even know how she felt. I knew her, and I spoke to her after the accident. She was destroyed. She missed Rachel and blamed herself. You all think she wasn't paying attention but what you don't know is she leaned over to check on Rachel who had passed out. That is why she veered off the road and hit the mailbox. Yes she was speeding. Noone here can say that they've never sped before. You have all done it. I see we all still debate about this. Remember, she was only twenty one. She wasn't a monster, she wasn't cold hearted, and she wasn't a murderer. Murderer's kill intentionally. What happened was an accident, just that, an accident and though I feel greatly for Rachel's family, I also know that Brittany wasn't a bad person. I spoke with her and this girl had so much to give and not very much to take. I remember our late night trip to Twistee Treat after a camp fire on my brother's birthday. I remember the smile on her face as she yelled surprise at my surprise party. I remember her trying to teach me to skateboard and me not capable of doing it lol. I also remember talking to her, after the accident and realizing that the girl that smiled everyday had faded. A part of her died that night with Rachel and the rest of her died on the 16th of February. She's gone, so for the sake of her, her family, and Rachel's family, can we please, just please, remember what good they both brought into our lives, instead of harping on all the bad. Thanks, Missy
Something I wrote for her.
The pain consumes me, with every breath I take.
The smile on my face, is getting harder to fake.
I look at your picture and it's hard to swallow,
The fact that your life, holds no tomorrow.
Your wonderful journey had only just begun.
It was tragically cut short, at just twenty one.
Sometimes I wonder, if I could have done more.
If then maybe I, could have kept your feet on the floor.
I keep getting told I shouldn't blame myself,
It's just so hard not to, when I'm so wracked with guilt.
I should have reached out and offered my help,
So you didn't feel emersed in the emotions you felt.
I know all you needed was just for someone to care,
Because even with everyone, it felt like noone was there.
To you it seemed you were battling this, all on your own
But even to this day, you were never alone.
B.L.R[[always in my heart]]
steph-w

Cornwall, Canada

#131 Aug 8, 2008
though i didnt hang out with brit all that much, i think she deserves some respect to the fact that it was an accident, and while yes, she didnt need to be speeding im sure she didnt have the intention of hitting four posts and killing her friend. when i did hang out with her she was compasionate and a kind person to me and anyone around. i think she deserves the same treatment.
Missy

Bradenton, FL

#132 Sep 17, 2008
The more I come here the more I realize the ignorance of today's society. I bet half the people who insulted Britt don't come on here now that she's gone. You had no problem wasting your time when she was alive, but now you decide to not come back. I know why too, all the people who spent hours coming here to argue over who was right and who was wrong, you all feel like it was pointless right?? Like it was a waste of time to come here only to insult Brittany Romer. Now she's gone and with noone left to insult, what's the point? I know Brittany made a mistake that night, a big mistake. She let the guilt eat her up before she couldn't take it anymore. Everyone said she didn't feel bad, but obviously she did. She felt bad enough that she figured the only way she could escape the pain was to put her own belt around her neck and hang herself. That was her escape from the guilt you all claim she didn't feel. I knew Brittany personally and I'll bet half of you didn't. I spoke to her after the accident and I'll bet none of you did. So tell me, how did you all know how she felt?? Did you speak to her? Did you ask her how she felt?? Did she call you and say "Hey, I don't care that I killed my best friend.." I doubt it. So for all you who sat here and judged, remember this.. God is the only one given the right to judge anyone. He is the only one who can make the call on right and wrong in the long run. I believe that a part of the reason why Brittany is no longer here, is you all. The people who sat behind a keyboard and mocked her. The people who called her all the bad names, and wished death on her. You people are probably one of the main reasons she felt so alone. Brittany was no killer, she was no murderer, she was no cold-hearted person.
Missy

Bradenton, FL

#133 Sep 17, 2008
She was human, she made a bad decision on the night of October 25th 2007. She made a choice to help a friend in need, and yes she was speeding and yes it was irresponsible, but next time you get in your car.. I want you to remember all you said.. and never speed again. If you are going to judge Brittany for speeding, than you, yourself shouldn't do it. You're probably thinking, hey, we didn't kill anybody. That's true, Brittany's speeding did result in a death, but when you all speed, you take that same risk. Knock on wood that you haven't hurt anyone. Just remember, Brittany wasn't a killer, she was a person who made a mistake. She regretted it so much. She was a bright and beautiful person, and I don't doubt that Rachel was too. But I remember a world where we didn't judge. When mistakes happened, but they didn't define us. I feel as though that world has slipped away. I miss Brittany more than anyone could ever imagine, I grieve the loss of her every moment i'm awake and remember that she's gone in every second i'm asleep. I don't forget our memories and I don't forget the day she left us. I do however try and forget the reason why she's gone. I don't want her to be remembered as the girl who killed Rachel. She never wanted to kill her best friend, who would?? I would be so upset if I ever had to deal with that. She took her life on a cold Saturday morning. I won't forget that. I just ask that we all remember all the good Brittany brought. Because if you knew her, at one point, no matter how long ago, or how short the period was, she was once the reason you smiled. If you knew her, something she has done has brightened your day at one point. So let's focus on that. Let's focus on the beauty she brought, instead of on the pain that followed that day the accident happened. Mailboxes aren't "killer" but if they are secured into the ground and close to the street, they are dangerous. Just remember that. You have a grieving father simply trying to stop any more deaths from occuring. I've met Jay, he is in no way, a bad person. He's human too, and he lost his daughter just like the Morris family lost Rachel. So let's all stop fighting and just pray. Be thankful that you still have your family and a warm home that isn't a memory of a lost loved one.

Thanks, Missy

Please do visit Brittany Romer's Dedication Site at www.accidentalconsequences.com
Missy

Bradenton, FL

#134 Sep 17, 2008
The more I come here the more I realize the ignorance of today's society. I bet half the people who insulted Britt don't come on here now that she's gone. You had no problem wasting your time when she was alive, but now you decide to not come back. I know why too, all the people who spent hours coming here to argue over who was right and who was wrong, you all feel like it was pointless right?? Like it was a waste of time to come here only to insult Brittany Romer. Now she's gone and with noone left to insult, what's the point? I know Brittany made a mistake that night, a big mistake. She let the guilt eat her up before she couldn't take it anymore. Everyone said she didn't feel bad, but obviously she did. She felt bad enough that she figured the only way she could escape the pain was to put her own belt around her neck and hang herself. That was her escape from the guilt you all claim she didn't feel. I knew Brittany personally and I'll bet half of you didn't. I spoke to her after the accident and I'll bet none of you did. So tell me, how did you all know how she felt?? Did you speak to her? Did you ask her how she felt?? Did she call you and say "Hey, I don't care that I killed my best friend.." I doubt it. So for all you who sat here and judged, remember this.. God is the only one given the right to judge anyone. He is the only one who can make the call on right and wrong in the long run. I believe that a part of the reason why Brittany is no longer here, is you all. The people who sat behind a keyboard and mocked her. The people who called her all the bad names, and wished death on her. You people are probably one of the main reasons she felt so alone. Brittany was no killer, she was no murderer, she was no cold-hearted person.
Koala

Bradenton, FL

#135 Dec 7, 2008
I love and miss you brittany!
Always and Forvever
Your Sugarglider =)
Missy

Palm Harbor, FL

#136 Feb 26, 2009
lacey wrote:
I recently moved from Apollo Beach to Orlando and it was my birthday and Brittnay was one of my only friends that came to help celebrate my day with me. She was so full of life. Her personality is what made my party.This is only one story of how i really enjoyed and loved Brittnay's presence. I was deeply saddened when i herd about Brittnay's tragic death. I really wish i would have found out in time to attened her funeral. I would still love to go and pay my respects at her grave so if anyone could tell me her burial site that would mean alot to me.
She was cremated, and her ashes are with her parents. Thanks for your kind words.
lakerfan

Murfreesboro, TN

#137 Feb 26, 2009
This is sad on so many levels. It's terrible that young people like this die every day in car accidents and I always wonder when will they learn? My wish is that this story could be shared in hopes that some young people will learn. So that they will think before they are careless behind the wheel of a vehicle. I'm not here to play the blame game. I am sad for the families and friends of both girls.
kaitlin behan

Hornell, NY

#138 Apr 30, 2009
i do not no britt but my father is her uncle and i have just found him after 20 years and this is the sades story i have ever heard my dad told me about her the night i found him n he told me how great britt was and how much love in her heart she had for others i just wish i could have known her and no matter what any one says she was a great person we all make mistakes that we cant take back ..... that dosnt mean it gives any one the right to down her n have hate in there hearts for her god forgives u for ur sins not men kind im sure god seen the hurt and how truly sorry she was and im sure he forgave her and up intill the time she took her own life her best friend shed a tear from heaven because she new it was a mistake and im sure she to forgave...
Lucy

Brooklyn, NY

#139 Aug 5, 2009
Of all the nonsense. Rachel drove too fast. She contributed to the death of her friend. It had very little to do with the mailbox and we should all be grateful that no child was playing in one of the driveways she tore through. She was a twenty-one year old who made a mistake, a very big mistake, and it's unfortunate she paid with her own life. I wish she could have accepted responsibility and learned to make peace with herself a different way.
james berg

Brooksville, FL

#140 Sep 15, 2009
disappointed wrote:
To those who chose to name call and insult, know this: You are part of the reason this girl took her own life. Her father was doing what the first girl's dad would have done if this situation had been reversed. None of us can know what we would do when we haven't walked in those shoes. For those that arrogantly say that "my daughter would never do such a thing", you have no idea what lies in your future. Karma has a weird way of coming around when you least expect it, be careful what arrogant, hateful feelings you send into the world. We should all pray for both families, they BOTH have lost more than any of us can imagine.

Some of you people really make me sick! I knew Britt since she was a little girl! I saw her grow up into a beautiful young woman!
I saw her when her world fell apart all around her
and I watched the police and ambulance at her house
and I grieve for her and her friend.When did all of you people grow so old and bitter? These girls were in there early twenty's! How many of you people in your early adult lives DIDNT do stupid things? Part of growing up is making mistakes! This was tragic and a mistake that cost two young lady's their live's, one in the accident and one in depressed state of mind caused by many of you! So in effect, now many of you can consider your selves murderers!
Because writiting some of the hurtful, hatefilled things you wrote was just like pulling a trigger on a gun! You all murdered a scared, depressed,young Girl.And most of you didnt even use your real names
how conveniant for you!
Missy

Saint Petersburg, FL

#141 Aug 9, 2010
Lucy wrote:
Of all the nonsense. Rachel drove too fast. She contributed to the death of her friend. It had very little to do with the mailbox and we should all be grateful that no child was playing in one of the driveways she tore through. She was a twenty-one year old who made a mistake, a very big mistake, and it's unfortunate she paid with her own life. I wish she could have accepted responsibility and learned to make peace with herself a different way.
Her name was Brittany, not Rachel. Rachel is her friend that died. She did accept responsibility and turned herself into the police. It had nothing to do with accepting responsibility. I know the pain I deal with daily, mourning Britt. So I can only imagine what she went through daily, mourning Rachel. Grief killed her, not the inability to accept responsibility.
Missy

Saint Petersburg, FL

#142 Aug 9, 2010
On that note.. Your b-day's coming up, babe! We all love and miss you, very much. Glenn is broken hearted, but I'm sure you see that from where you are. He's married, with two beautiful kids, and one on the way. You'd be very proud. LOVE YOU, BABE!!
Jim

Portland, OR

#143 Aug 20, 2010
I just found this thread.

I feel bad that the world has lost two young girls.

I think many of the negative comments would have been avoided if the location and construction of the mailbox would have been ignored.

There will always be things to hit on the side of most roads. Even a medium sized tree can be worse than a brick mailbox. Large trees, telephone poles, overpass bridge supports, buildings, etc.- all much worse.

Obviously, if the car traveled hundreds of feet after hitting the mailbox it didn't stop the car. If she had hit a large tree I am sure both would have been killed instantly.

Is anyone suggesting we eliminate all tree lined streets in America?

Years ago Massachusetts did a study and found out most cars leaving the 495 freeway hit an object 25 feet or less from the roadway. They spent millions removing all solid objects in this range. The result was these out of control cars now hit the remaining objects, previously protected by the removed objects, just past the 25 foot mark.

There could be just as valid an argument that we should install very solid objects placed between roads and sidewalks to protect innocent pedestrians, children at play, and even houses, from drivers breaking the law.

If the car traveled over 200 feet AFTER hitting the mailbox AND three or four poles how much open space would have to be provided to have avoided this tragic accident.
Missy

Pinellas Park, FL

#144 Feb 4, 2011
I by no means believe that removing the mailbox or anything else for that matter would have prevented this. Jay is only trying to prevent other people from getting hurt. Not saying that only mailboxes can cause this sort of thing to happen. I am not saying she wasn't at fault. I just think that no matter who is at fault, nobody wanted to die. Britt was a beautiful soul. She didn't want to kill Rachel. I know this. She was full of remorse when we last spoke, about two weeks before she died. I recently went and saw Jay, and he's still to this day (almost 3 years later) a broken man. I feel bad for all parties involved. I feel horrible for Britt and Rachel's family and friends. I know how hard it is to lose someone.. I can respect all people involved. Those who aren't involved.. who didn't know anyone involved.. your nasty opinions were never needed. Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tampa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News St. Pete Pride could draw record crowd (Jun '13) 5 hr Oh yeah 19
beware martino mortgages (Oct '11) Mon Barbara Hutchins ... 12
News 3 arrested in undercover Asian massage parlor bust (Nov '07) Mar 24 mikecan 206
Hit and run pedestrian Mar 24 Brenda 3
News Florida woman wins $590.5m Powerball jackpot (May '13) Mar 22 Lawrence Wolf 122
ESPN Host Mar 21 Bret 1
News Now That Was A Green River Mar 19 Bill Schaffer 2

Tampa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Tampa Mortgages