VA patient alleges verbal abuse by ho...

VA patient alleges verbal abuse by hospital police

There are 25 comments on the WTSP Tampa Bay story from May 8, 2008, titled VA patient alleges verbal abuse by hospital police. In it, WTSP Tampa Bay reports that:

Tampa, Florida Three hospital policemen have been placed on leave following allegations they verbally abused a patient at the James A. Haley VA Hospital.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTSP Tampa Bay.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
A veteran

Aiken, SC

#2 May 9, 2008
VA Officers get in trouble...and they're police....do something right and they're "guards"

AFPJ

Tallahassee, FL

#3 May 9, 2008
Another administrative waste of tax payers money, why do they need a separate police force. Do we not have local police and County police that can handle the job that have already been paid for with our tax dollars.
Dad in St Pete

Saint Petersburg, FL

#4 May 9, 2008
I've had the nursing staff be pretty nasty too at Bay Pines. That's why I wont go unless I'm dying.
Retired and enjoying it

Chillicothe, OH

#5 May 12, 2008
A single complaint of verbal abuse and three Police Officers are "Placed on Leave" and the criminal charges are than dismissed. Sounds like every cop who works at Bay Pines should be fired. Justice MUST be served. I bet most criminals wish that it was that always that easy. I wonder if it also works for speeding tickets? "Your honor, the officer called me a dirty word. I was only doing 90 in a school zone."
Carlie St Pete Fl

AOL

#6 May 13, 2008
Retired and enjoying it wrote:
A single complaint of verbal abuse and three Police Officers are "Placed on Leave" and the criminal charges are than dismissed. Sounds like every cop who works at Bay Pines should be fired. Justice MUST be served. I bet most criminals wish that it was that always that easy. I wonder if it also works for speeding tickets? "Your honor, the officer called me a dirty word. I was only doing 90 in a school zone."
This happened at James Haley in Tampa, not Bay Pines.
unknown officer

Albany, NY

#7 May 19, 2008
Its a tough day when you get spit at and walk through urine and get paid less than a summer temp. hire. We have a special mission and if you knew how often a Veteran was given special consideration and no legal follow through was done because of their status you would be surprised. There are countless handlings with Vetertans on our properties that would be automatic arrests in the outside Police Departments. "Volunatry Compliance" is our standard and when we get it- there is very little follow-up in the Legal system.
Unfortunately the V.A. Police force is under the direction of a Medical Center Director and not held directly accountable to the Public so there is a special relationship there- good or bad you decide.
Vet

Maitland, FL

#8 May 19, 2008
VA is full of employees who are disrespectful of vets. Why do you think vets commit suicide or become homeless, because they got tired of the VA bs and the way the VA treats them. Lots of VA employees aren't even vets and have no clue about military service and have the nerve too treat vets badly.
Sarcasm Lives

Tampa, FL

#9 May 19, 2008
I am a vet of the Iraqi war and Operation Enduring Freedom. I do not feel that I deserve special priviliges, nor do I feel I can treat people any way that I wish, simply because I have served during a war, been shot at, killed people, and have seen my friends killed. None of this means that I can do whatever I want to do, nor does it mean I get preferential treatment.

I think there is much more to this story, but unforunately, as in most businesses, the "customer is always right" plays out first, and then the facts will come forward. I've been to the VA, and some of the older vets are quite mean and grumpy, and are pretty damn mean to the staff. I myself can get grumpy when waiting for services.

We vets have a lot to be proud of, but no one owes us anything, it was our choice (for some of us) to serve, and for those who were drafted, I thank you and salute you for your service.

Semper Fi, fellow Vets, I know I've angered some of you, but others may find a common thread within these words.
VET

Winter Park, FL

#10 May 19, 2008
Sarcasm Lives wrote:
I am a vet of the Iraqi war and Operation Enduring Freedom. I do not feel that I deserve special priviliges, nor do I feel I can treat people any way that I wish, simply because I have served during a war, been shot at, killed people, and have seen my friends killed. None of this means that I can do whatever I want to do, nor does it mean I get preferential treatment.
I think there is much more to this story, but unforunately, as in most businesses, the "customer is always right" plays out first, and then the facts will come forward. I've been to the VA, and some of the older vets are quite mean and grumpy, and are pretty damn mean to the staff. I myself can get grumpy when waiting for services.
We vets have a lot to be proud of, but no one owes us anything, it was our choice (for some of us) to serve, and for those who were drafted, I thank you and salute you for your service.
Semper Fi, fellow Vets, I know I've angered some of you, but others may find a common thread within these words.
You will learn about the VA as some of us older vets have. Us Vietnam Vets along with the Korean Vets know how the VA works and when you have dealt with them for 33 plus years like I have you will understand. The VA is better now than it has ever been but there are still those working in the system that are nasty rude and just shi--y. Welcome home brother!
VET

Winter Park, FL

#11 May 19, 2008
unknown officer wrote:
Its a tough day when you get spit at and walk through urine and get paid less than a summer temp. hire. We have a special mission and if you knew how often a Veteran was given special consideration and no legal follow through was done because of their status you would be surprised. There are countless handlings with Vetertans on our properties that would be automatic arrests in the outside Police Departments. "Volunatry Compliance" is our standard and when we get it- there is very little follow-up in the Legal system.
Unfortunately the V.A. Police force is under the direction of a Medical Center Director and not held directly accountable to the Public so there is a special relationship there- good or bad you decide.
Get a job somewhere else, I don't see any holding you back Kojack. It's a Veterans Hospital not a supermax prison and if you can't take the heat leave and don't let the door hit you in the a--!
Sarcasm Lives

Tampa, FL

#12 May 19, 2008
Lol, that's funny. And you're probably right, I probably will have a different mindset about all this when I get older. I'm 28 now, and luckily have my own insurance at this point. I go there for my "post deployment health assessment", which is the VA's response to the mental anguish veterans go through when they come back home. It is nice to know they are trying, but where was the help for the Vietnam vets and those who came before. It's such a mess, and the situation gets worse and worse as more people are diagnosed with PTSD or depression.
VET

Winter Park, FL

#13 May 19, 2008
Sarcasm Lives wrote:
Lol, that's funny. And you're probably right, I probably will have a different mindset about all this when I get older. I'm 28 now, and luckily have my own insurance at this point. I go there for my "post deployment health assessment", which is the VA's response to the mental anguish veterans go through when they come back home. It is nice to know they are trying, but where was the help for the Vietnam vets and those who came before. It's such a mess, and the situation gets worse and worse as more people are diagnosed with PTSD or depression.
PTSD has been a challenge for lots of us as nightmares creep in and depression, but if you never find yourself stressing there is many of help available through the Vet center, the VA and another Vet. As Vets we tend to understand each other as we have experienced similar experiences and as a band of brothers we reach out too each other. Hang in there and know others feel what you feel and understand, keep in mind life is good and you have done what you think was and is right. Welcome home and thanks! Hoorah!
HAIRY KNUCKS

Saint Petersburg, FL

#14 May 26, 2008
Thats what happens when you have a hospital administration who have no knowledge of Law enforcement in charge of police. This is retarded Any one who works in the VA knows guilty first before proven innocent. I guess thats why theres so much turn over at the Tampa VA Police. Incompetent Managemant!!!!!
JAMES SINGER

Saint Petersburg, FL

#15 May 26, 2008
Just like Bay Pines Security Gurads err I mean Police who were promoted beyond their capabilitys.
Police

North Chicago, IL

#16 Sep 27, 2009
It doesn't matter because everyone hates the VA security guards/police.
K-9 Vet

Bradenton, FL

#17 Jan 15, 2010
I don't think anyone in this forum will ever know the truth but really what it comes down to is compliance. There is a right and wrong way to do things and if this officer was in the wrong there is a right way to file a complaint. If someone goes to the media or a lawyer prior to the hospital it says they are looking for moneyor a power trip and not that they are looking to correct a potential problem. As we are all adults and we've all been taught manners, common courtesy, and respect for authority, at least I hope, we should all be able to maintain our composure when speaking to a Police Officer and handle a complaint in a civilized manner.
john fenty

United States

#18 Feb 17, 2010
I was given a ticket for disorderly conduct by a Va police officer after parking in a handicap parking in which I had a handicap plate.He asked me where was my handicap permit I told him I had a handicap plate I started walking again he asked me again where is the permit I told him on the license plate why don,t you do your job and walk around to the back of the car and look, well this pissed him off. He then came right up to my face and said that I was a smart mouth asshole and took his night stick out like he was going to hit me, now this made me mad. I am also a cop and I know that my statement should not have made a real cop mad because we are expected to have a thick skin. I have been call all kinds of things but never reacted like this VA cop then he wrote the ticket and tried to stop me from getting medical treatment at the VA this guy should not be guarding a outhouse.
disabled vietnam vet

Orlando, FL

#19 Mar 23, 2010
I have read all the comments here, let the younger people be here a while, they will understand the VA.
The cops are worse than any city state or county cops, they dont think we have rights, they harrass the hell out of you then writew a dc sitation when they started the mess in the first place.
I just had bone surgery on my mouth went to go get travel pay the poor woman couldnt understand me, and got flustered some how the VA pd got there, on my way out the door I asked for the directors office and was told the 2nd floor.
I went on my way then this cop stoped me and ordered me to stop and talk to him, I asked if I was underarrest and was told no so I turned around to leave and he riped my VA ID card off my shirt and refused to give it back, wouldnt even give out his name, but did his best to start a fight, he followded me all the way to my car yelling at me that I would talk to him one way or the other even if he had to take me down.
the gift of this is let the young guys learn mabye the IRAQ vets can fix the problems with the VA or they just might start to understand what 37 years have tought me... we are just spent trash to the VA a pain in the ars
Fuzz

San Mateo, CA

#20 Apr 9, 2010
john fenty wrote:
I was given a ticket for disorderly conduct by a Va police officer after parking in a handicap parking in which I had a handicap plate.He asked me where was my handicap permit I told him I had a handicap plate I started walking again he asked me again where is the permit I told him on the license plate why don,t you do your job and walk around to the back of the car and look, well this pissed him off. He then came right up to my face and said that I was a smart mouth asshole and took his night stick out like he was going to hit me, now this made me mad. I am also a cop and I know that my statement should not have made a real cop mad because we are expected to have a thick skin. I have been call all kinds of things but never reacted like this VA cop then he wrote the ticket and tried to stop me from getting medical treatment at the VA this guy should not be guarding a outhouse.
if you got a ticket why didnt you request a hearing a beat it in court. Fact is you probably got either a cvn or handicapped parking ticket. Fact, you probably have a disable vet plate which isnt a handicapped parking permit. Fact, no one can stop you from going to an appointment so that lie never happened either. And i highly doubt anyone who wants to keep their job just pulled out a stick withoutany aggressive posturing on your part. And you aren't a cop, there is no doubt about that. You might be an aux wacker at best. Either way your story is bs and your a phoney like most of these poding assholes who say their vets, or disabled, or saw combat, or was in the nam. Your all lying phonies.
Fuzz

San Mateo, CA

#21 Apr 9, 2010
Ps: im an actual combat vet and infantryman from iraq. I never had any problems at the va. I dont get med care there because it is the lowest by medical standards so i go to real hospitals unless i have to go to a va. They were okay to me as a person, and everything was relatively quick. I go there expecting a 4 hr wait. I dont know how manyguys say " you dont know what i saw, maaaaaannnn" only to overhear they were in from 84-86 and were in germany. Or washed out of airforce basic. Or claims to have been wounded at ripcord only to have been too young for vietnam by 5 years and are really at the va to be treated for heroin addiction.. Stop with the jackets and hats with the medals all over it you sad f@@ks, those that earned it dont need other peoples approval you phoney losers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tampa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... Fri Eagle 12 462
Buy Velpanat Fri Buyvelpanat 1
Sexting numbers (Jun '16) Fri tony2837 11
News '50 Shades!: The Musical' returns to Sarasota (Nov '13) May 23 LAVON AFFAIR 16
the murder of jeffery price aka jiffy (Nov '08) May 23 yawn 17
White Family (Nov '16) May 16 Drop the Cow 3
News Car burglars target subdivisions near U.S. 301 (Mar '08) May 16 Picente 29

Tampa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Tampa Mortgages