What is Alonso High like

Posted in the Tampa Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#1 May 31, 2012
Need some informatoin on Alonzo High School, Academic quality, teachers, safety, gangs etc.

Location hidden

#2 Jun 2, 2012
Could use a little help here folks
Mike

Tampa, FL

#3 Jun 3, 2012
Theres a thing called Google ....

Alonso High School, located in Tampa, Florida, serves grades 9-12 in the Hillsborough County Public Schools district. It has received a GreatSchools Rating of 7 out of 10, based on its performance on state standardized tests.

More than 60 school community members have shared their opinion about Alonso High School, giving it an average Community Rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

Learn more about this school's teachers and students. School highlights:

Academic contests; Band; BasketballMore
stalking idiots and nuts

Tampa, FL

#4 Jun 3, 2012
No. He wants REAL help. Too bad the kids don't come on here more. I've never heard a good thing about it from the kids who go there. Braulio Alonso High. BUT apparently it's better than one terrible alternative but many gang type apt complexes are located in its district which is very obvious if you just drive there. I know only one girl who is graduating from there. She hated it or claimed to. Also in her apt complex are many gang members. They look like fools and idiots and are straight from NJ or NY hoods. Hope that helps a little. Sorry to be abrupt but yes there is at least ONE worse high school but I don't know where or which it is.

Location hidden

#5 Jun 3, 2012
Mike wrote:
Theres a thing called Google ....
Alonso High School, located in Tampa, Florida, serves grades 9-12 in the Hillsborough County Public Schools district. It has received a GreatSchools Rating of 7 out of 10, based on its performance on state standardized tests.
More than 60 school community members have shared their opinion about Alonso High School, giving it an average Community Rating of 4 out of 5 stars.
Learn more about this school's teachers and students. School highlights:
Academic contests; Band; BasketballMore
Thanks Moike but that does not give me the answers I need.

Location hidden

#6 Jun 3, 2012
stalking idiots and nuts wrote:
No. He wants REAL help. Too bad the kids don't come on here more. I've never heard a good thing about it from the kids who go there. Braulio Alonso High. BUT apparently it's better than one terrible alternative but many gang type apt complexes are located in its district which is very obvious if you just drive there. I know only one girl who is graduating from there. She hated it or claimed to. Also in her apt complex are many gang members. They look like fools and idiots and are straight from NJ or NY hoods. Hope that helps a little. Sorry to be abrupt but yes there is at least ONE worse high school but I don't know where or which it is.
Thank you so much for the information. Does not sound like a place I would like my daughter to attend.
tampa

Palm City, FL

#7 Jun 3, 2012
Taxpayer for years wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you so much for the information. Does not sound like a place I would like my daughter to attend.
Not if you can avoid it. The best HS to get your child in I dislike to say is Plant. They're snooty and snippy and worse than your memory but the gang activity is mostly the parents. Now don't be discourages by high prices if you are still looking for a house or an abode. There are duplexes and cheaper apts in the plant area if that is still an option for you. Again, it's not perfect and you'll loathe the parents (not all of them)
Myself, I think Tampa should be DEEPLY ashamed to hold up ONE LOUSY school as a safe, secure gang-free place instead of boosting each school up a bit. And for the record, the sneaky teachers are very adept at covering it up as most are related to most of the kids. It's like being on an island.

I don't want to discourage you at all. You have to do what you have to do. Sometimes our choices are ... limited. I home-schooled my children and found friends who withdrew their children even from private schools and Catholic schools here and now all of our kids are in college. Even when I was in high-school here the schools had bad reps. So, I will only be honest with you.
In fact the good teachers are just as upset as parents. But the administration does not care, their goals are not your child. At Plant, the collective wealth of the parents keeps the school in line. If you send your beloved angel there have her aware that they will one-up her and not try to compete with them financially. They know JUST WHO THEY ARE, believe me but will be good and nice as long as no one steps on their little rich toes.
That is my advice (not all of it, but much of it) on high schools in Tampa Bay. Avoid Robinson like it's the ghetto. And yes, there are many good people at Robinson, too> Collectively it's a scary dump however where the drug dealers murdered the young principle, Kevin McCarthy.
Alfonso Lowe

Tampa, FL

#8 Jun 4, 2012
Hey, Alonso High is a pretty good dude, even tho he has bad acne, and some sort of nasal deformity that makes him look like a pig. I grew up with him. He would give a person the shirt off his back, then urinate on that same person for wearing his shirt...he was sorta forgetful that way, "Here," he would insist, "wear my shirt." So you would put it on, then ,like, five seconds later Alonso is like "What are you doing wearing my shirt, you #&@%^!" Then he would try and urinate on you , unless you got away from him in a hurry. We all went to Plant.

Location hidden

#9 Jun 5, 2012
My daughter is going to be a freshman, has always had fantastic honor roll grades, she has very light skin compared to what I have seen in the ares
tampa

United States

#10 Jun 6, 2012
My daughter is going to be a freshman, has always had fantastic honor roll grades, she has very light skin compared to what I have seen in the ares
Skin color really doesn't matter anywhere in Tampa but only to haters who don't matter. There are haters here but your beautiful child should only rarely feel singled out due to any difference in skin tone.

We just don't care. The ones who DO care are losers. You wouldn't miss them. I specifically asked about Alonso for you today and the news is a little better but I still have that same nagging voice now two of them (both kids who just graduated from Alonso) and they are saying even the teachers bully some students. I don't know how reliable that is but I have heard it numerous times. I did hear better things about the school. Myself I wouldn't risk it. She'd be fine and happy at Plant. People of color are welcome anywhere in Tampa. I love everyone. Most people here are NOT haters but don't rely on blacks to be the best people either. THEY USED TO BE. Now it's a different line besides color. It's called decency. Some will still play racists but what they really ARE is ELITISTS. Your child could be white as driven snow and get crap from them. Go to Plant.
tampa

United States

#11 Jun 6, 2012
Two more to stay away from FOR SURE: LETO and JEFFERSON.

“Obama: Leading us to failure”

Since: Jul 09

The United States of America

#12 Jun 7, 2012
If it prides itself on its "Basketball Program"let that be a hit to steer clear.

Dredlocked subhumans roam its halls

Location hidden

#13 Jun 7, 2012
WOEW this is not good. Thank you. Any others with comments?

Location hidden

#14 Jun 13, 2012
tampa wrote:
<quoted text>
Skin color really doesn't matter anywhere in Tampa but only to haters who don't matter. There are haters here but your beautiful child should only rarely feel singled out due to any difference in skin tone.
We just don't care. The ones who DO care are losers. You wouldn't miss them. I specifically asked about Alonso for you today and the news is a little better but I still have that same nagging voice now two of them (both kids who just graduated from Alonso) and they are saying even the teachers bully some students. I don't know how reliable that is but I have heard it numerous times. I did hear better things about the school. Myself I wouldn't risk it. She'd be fine and happy at Plant. People of color are welcome anywhere in Tampa. I love everyone. Most people here are NOT haters but don't rely on blacks to be the best people either. THEY USED TO BE. Now it's a different line besides color. It's called decency. Some will still play racists but what they really ARE is ELITISTS. Your child could be white as driven snow and get crap from them. Go to Plant.
How about transportation to and from the school?
tampa

United States

#15 Jun 14, 2012
Depends where you live. If you live close to the school she could mostly walk. If not she could take the bus (our children never took those crazy busses but other kids survive them just fine) and if not you'll have to drive her. You have to live a certain distance from the school to get a bus and they only pick up at busstops they set.

Location hidden

#16 Jun 14, 2012
tampa wrote:
Depends where you live. If you live close to the school she could mostly walk. If not she could take the bus (our children never took those crazy busses but other kids survive them just fine) and if not you'll have to drive her. You have to live a certain distance from the school to get a bus and they only pick up at busstops they set.
Thanks I will have to check it out. Seems we will be in their district
tampa

Piedmont, AL

#17 Jun 14, 2012
<quoted text>Thanks I will have to check it out. Seems we will be in their district
That makes me feel very happy for you and mostly for she. Now go re-read my advice on the little snooty people at school and how she'll find nice friends anyway. She can't hope to play the game so just hang with the nice people. There are some. I promise. But four years is a long time. Get her in a sport or maybe singing? Something that she can shine at without making others look bad which they take personal offense at because their self esteem is low in the mansions.
You hang around that school as you can by volunteering and keep your eyes on 'em. LOL. Crude but effective. Make friends with the teachers who seem like they are normal. There are some. I'll be around when the going gets tough. This thread can go four years if we have to. Get that kid right in to higher ed, parent !! I think you'll be happy. I hope so.

Location hidden

#18 Jun 14, 2012
tampa wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes me feel very happy for you and mostly for she. Now go re-read my advice on the little snooty people at school and how she'll find nice friends anyway. She can't hope to play the game so just hang with the nice people. There are some. I promise. But four years is a long time. Get her in a sport or maybe singing? Something that she can shine at without making others look bad which they take personal offense at because their self esteem is low in the mansions.
You hang around that school as you can by volunteering and keep your eyes on 'em. LOL. Crude but effective. Make friends with the teachers who seem like they are normal. There are some. I'll be around when the going gets tough. This thread can go four years if we have to. Get that kid right in to higher ed, parent !! I think you'll be happy. I hope so.
Thanks for everything
david greg

Saint Petersburg, FL

#19 Aug 18, 2012
Hi I'm an Alonso student , just stumbled on this. Im going into my senior year. It a pretty good school. There are good teacher and bad teachers. The students are divided. Like jocks, preps, outcast, skaters . Like any high school I guess. I'd suggest getting involved in clubs , sports. Its a good way to make friends. I don't see many "gang" related stuff. Although there are those students who think they're gangsters. There's a lot of drug deals that go on in school. Many students smoke weed in the bathrooms. But I've never come across and heavy , actually dangerous drugs. There are fights ever now and again . But the administration breaks them up fast. Hope this helps

Location hidden

#20 Aug 18, 2012
david greg wrote:
Hi I'm an Alonso student , just stumbled on this. Im going into my senior year. It a pretty good school. There are good teacher and bad teachers. The students are divided. Like jocks, preps, outcast, skaters . Like any high school I guess. I'd suggest getting involved in clubs , sports. Its a good way to make friends. I don't see many "gang" related stuff. Although there are those students who think they're gangsters. There's a lot of drug deals that go on in school. Many students smoke weed in the bathrooms. But I've never come across and heavy , actually dangerous drugs. There are fights ever now and again . But the administration breaks them up fast. Hope this helps
Thgank you David, good luck to you in your senior year

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tampa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alias (Dec '13) 46 min FBS 83
Tampa folks are boring 1 hr Pennie Lane 6
kEeP a WoRd*DrOp A wOrD 1 hr Pennie Lane 35
Review: Sahara Auto Sales LLC 3 hr ahmed 3
Televangelist Joel Osteen shuns lavish lifestyl... (Nov '07) 11 hr Jinx 333
Own a Home for ONLY 859 PER MONTH! 11 hr LGI Homes 1
Coast Guard searching for missing plane (Jun '08) 15 hr Ron 14
Tampa Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web