16-year-old and his mother hit by lig...

16-year-old and his mother hit by lightning

There are 36 comments on the WTSP Tampa Bay story from Jul 20, 2007, titled 16-year-old and his mother hit by lightning. In it, WTSP Tampa Bay reports that:

Robert Johnson saw the clouds rolling in, and then tragedy. Robert Johnson, Witness "A lot of lightning... There were about six of them that hit all within a minute." A laid back day at Treasure Island Beach ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTSP Tampa Bay.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Kenneth Payne

Dallas, TX

#21 Jul 23, 2007
To my friend Mark,
Words seem inadequate to express the sadness
we all feel about what happened to Maureen & Sammy.
Our hearts go out to you and your family along
with our prayers that will not stop.
Rodriguez

Palmetto, FL

#22 Jul 24, 2007
The power of prayer definitely moves mountains. God is the "Doctor of the Doctors" and it is he who can go above and beyond what any doctor can do. It is he who guides the doctors in the right direction to take care of us. There are so many tragic things that happen in this world, and then we ask ourselves "Why"? There is no doubt, that this accident has brought many who don't normally pray to do so for this family. It has made us all look at life differently. We know that in less tragic situations many have lots their lives. In this case, God allowed the mom and son to live. Now, we pray to God giving him thanks for not taking them away from their loving family and we pray to God to put his Holy hands upon them and allow us to see a miracle with their recovery. This will by far create so many more believers in the power of God. May God bless them You are in our prayers.
D Watts

Windermere, FL

#23 Jul 24, 2007
Mary Jo Machajewski wrote:
I am the sister-in-law of Maureen Machajewski (my maiden name) and I ask everyone to pray for both of them. They are loved so deeply and it creates this terrible anxiousness to be there, but unfortunately not one airline will give Maureen's husband a break to get a flight out there immediately to see her. He has to wait yes wait until tomorrow morning. She had immediate surgery and her spleen has been removed. She has 3rd degree burns from her feet to the top of her head. She will wake up alone tonight not seeing her husband because of the airlines and she will be hysterical wondering of her son who as of now is on life support.
A loving sister-in-law, a deeply caring human being who always is smiling and fun and we pray a survivor.
We live up the beach from where this happenned and are thinking of your family and praying for you all. I was glad to have found this post forum, as the news will not give details and rightfully so. Just wanted to pass along some good thoughts to you and your family.
D Watts

Windermere, FL

#24 Jul 24, 2007
We live up the beach from where this happenned and just wanted to say that our thoughts are with you and your family. These storms come up fast here in the summer and it was a heart wrenching news cast on TV. Just wanted to say soemthing kind and let you know that you and your family are in our thoughts.
Marie

Plano, TX

#25 Jul 24, 2007
Maureen is one of my son's teachers and she is a wonderful person. She touches so many little lives every day. The children miss her but are unaware of the tragedy. The parents and teachers and staff of her school are praying for her and her son. Our most heartfelt prayers are being sent their way. Thank you for this blog. It helps us Texans stay connected to what is happening.
Mary Jo

Hartland, WI

#26 Jul 24, 2007
Edward Tompkins wrote:
Mark,
Your extended family at Bell has you and your family in all of our prayers. If there is anything that we can do, please don't hesitate to ask.
Can you contact me please I work at a law firm so don't get freaked out by the email address [email protected]
Doris Smith

Palmetto, FL

#27 Jul 25, 2007
How are they doing? Has the mother been able to see her son or are they in a different hospital?
abc

Hartland, WI

#28 Jul 25, 2007
Doris Smith wrote:
How are they doing? Has the mother been able to see her son or are they in a different hospital?
Is there nothing in the paper yet?? Or, on the news??
Elena Andrade

Dallas, TX

#29 Jul 25, 2007
Maureen is my son's prek teacher and she has become such a dear person in my life this year. She loves my son so genuinely that it made my transition back to work much easier. I just want to say thank you and if there is anything...no matter how mundane for the family or the home, please let me know. It would be the least I could do for such an amazing woman.
Blessings!
Sparky

AOL

#30 Jul 25, 2007
I learned tonight that Sammy has passed away. They removed his life support yesterday. Maureen was able to be with him for a while.
abc

Hartland, WI

#31 Jul 26, 2007
As a family member we are requesting you retract this statement and get your facts straight. They were headed back to the hotel when they saw the clouds move in. The recollection of strike is very vivid.
As they were heading back the rain started. Not 10 minutes after. It's devastating enough that Sammy is gone, but appalling to all of us. As reporters you are not doing your job. You need to print actual facts and speculate or what people may have seen 10 minutes later.
They both are intelligent people and live in states where they deal with lightning and tornados and know enough not to stay outside until the rain comes down.
Marks sister

Hartland, WI

#32 Jul 26, 2007
You an read Sammy's Obituary and Sign the Online Guest at
http://legacy.com/TBO/Obituaries.asp...
Adam Anderson

Irving, TX

#33 Jul 26, 2007
My heart and prayers are with you Mark and all of the Machajewski family.
kaylee

Orlando, FL

#34 Aug 2, 2007
how is he?
kaylee

Orlando, FL

#35 Aug 2, 2007
how is he doing??
Maureen

United States

#36 Sep 12, 2012
Today is Sept. 12, 2012. For whatever reason, I was compelled to come to this sight, something I haven't done in the 5 years since my beloved son found his way to Heaven.
I read the faith, the strength and the love of many people during these horrible times, and I am humbled.
Thank-You from a Mother,
thank-you from a friend and a Believer,
Maureen Daley/Sammy Santilli
[email protected]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tampa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) 3 hr Frindly 1,191
News Free sprinkler program can reduce water bill Dec 9 Jan Wallaesa 1
News Guardian Angels will stay in Seminole Heights Dec 3 STOP snitching De... 1
LEAH REMINI is coming for JUSTICE! Dec 3 Leah Remini 4
Crunch Nov 30 Post Reply 1
News Florida woman wins $590.5m Powerball jackpot (May '13) Nov 29 CornPuff Klantard 156
News FREE Christmas Trees (Dec '07) Nov 28 Angiek86 14

Tampa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Tampa Mortgages