16-year-old and his mother hit by lig...

16-year-old and his mother hit by lightning

There are 36 comments on the WTSP Tampa Bay story from Jul 20, 2007, titled 16-year-old and his mother hit by lightning. In it, WTSP Tampa Bay reports that:

Robert Johnson saw the clouds rolling in, and then tragedy. Robert Johnson, Witness "A lot of lightning... There were about six of them that hit all within a minute." A laid back day at Treasure Island Beach ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTSP Tampa Bay.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mary Jo Machajewski

Hartland, WI

#1 Jul 20, 2007
I am the sister-in-law of Maureen Machajewski (my maiden name) and I ask everyone to pray for both of them. They are loved so deeply and it creates this terrible anxiousness to be there, but unfortunately not one airline will give Maureen's husband a break to get a flight out there immediately to see her. He has to wait yes wait until tomorrow morning. She had immediate surgery and her spleen has been removed. She has 3rd degree burns from her feet to the top of her head. She will wake up alone tonight not seeing her husband because of the airlines and she will be hysterical wondering of her son who as of now is on life support.
A loving sister-in-law, a deeply caring human being who always is smiling and fun and we pray a survivor.
Mary Jo Machajewski

Franklin, WI

#2 Jul 20, 2007
It's pronounced
Maha-yes-ski

Thank you for the news update - we had nothing here is Wisconsin of this tragedy.
Greg Parnell

United States

#3 Jul 20, 2007
My thoughts and prayers are with the Machajewski family. I hope and pray that Mark will be able to be there for his wife and son.Mark we are all praying for you and your family at work.
Mary Jo Machajewski

Franklin, WI

#4 Jul 20, 2007
Maureen is out of the recovery room and will be moved to a burn unit. Sammy is not responding to anything and remains on life support only. They will keep him on life support for 48 hours. We ask that you pray for this oung man and that by some miracle he pulls through. I again want to thank Mr. johnson, the gymnastics teacher for giving of yourself to save Sammy. Without your unslefish act he would not be here with us yet. No words can express how we appreciate your tremendous act of caring for another human. Hopefully some day and with a lot of prayer Sammy can meet you.
June Andringa-aunt

Quinlan, TX

#5 Jul 20, 2007
If prayer alone can help Sammy and Maureen there are lots of them going on all over these United States tonight and God is listening. I have a framed poem hanging here by my computer written by this warm, kind, funny, loving nephew called Why Jesus? I know his faith and ours will carry us through whatever lies ahead. Family is the most important thing to Maureen and she gained a much bigger extended one today through this untimely accident. Thank you all for your continued prayers.
Cindy

Saint Petersburg, FL

#6 Jul 20, 2007
How sad for the family who had this unforeseen tragedy. My thoughts are with this young man and his family. May your love for each other help you endure.
Mark Machajewski

United States

#7 Jul 20, 2007
Thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers in this time of tradgity.I am the husband and step dad.All we can hope for is to put it in GOD'Shands and hope for the best of a bad situation.
No words can express what I'm feeling or Sammy's father is feeling right now.A great weekend visit turn into turmoil is not what was to be expected.Thank you again for the prayers,hopefully they will be anwserd
Katie Raponi

Winter Haven, FL

#8 Jul 20, 2007
My boyfriend is a really good friend of Sam's and I pray for him and his mom and all of the family.
Judy Nelson

Pinellas Park, FL

#9 Jul 21, 2007
This is such a tragedy. Even that Mark cannot get a flight yesterday when he wanted to be here is a tragedy. Maureen, Sammy, and Mark and Sammy's father and all family members are in my prayers.
Edward Tompkins

Overbrook, OK

#10 Jul 21, 2007
Mark,
Your extended family at Bell has you and your family in all of our prayers. If there is anything that we can do, please don't hesitate to ask.
Leslie Jones

Plant City, FL

#11 Jul 21, 2007
Mary Jo:
Thank you so much for posting updates on Sam and his mom. My daughter has been friends with Sam
since middle school and I have always loved him dearly. Our hearts are broken over this tragedy and we have been praying for both of them since this happened and will continue to do so. I have been worried sick over not knowing what was going on so finding this update has helped us greatly. Please remember our prayers will not cease and all of you are being remembered.
Teri Taylor

Forest, VA

#12 Jul 21, 2007
I hope and pray that the mother Maureen Machajewski and her 16 yrd old son from Texas will be ok. May God Bless Them Both.
Mary Coutinho

Bradenton, FL

#13 Jul 21, 2007
I am a friend of Sam's from work and I am keeping him in my prayers. I am hoping to be able to visit him in the hospital soon, but I'm not sure how many people are allowed in. I am keeping him and his family in my prayers and hoping for the best.
Bill Marshall

Memphis, TN

#14 Jul 22, 2007
Mark and I worked together at Sawyer Michigan and have been in touch over the years. Words can not express the saddness I feel after hearing about this tradgedy to the Machajewski family. Rest assured that you all are in my thoughts and prayers. As Mark said,it is in Gods' Hands.
Bill Marshall
Horn Lake,Mississippi
Marks sister

Hartland, WI

#15 Jul 22, 2007
Bill Marshall wrote:
Mark and I worked together at Sawyer Michigan and have been in touch over the years. Words can not express the saddness I feel after hearing about this tradgedy to the Machajewski family. Rest assured that you all are in my thoughts and prayers. As Mark said,it is in Gods' Hands.
Bill Marshall
Horn Lake,Mississippi
Thank you so much for writing. I am Mark's sister in Wisconsin, and since he is unable to access the internet I am printing and reading the emails to him ahich I am saving to send to him when he can get back to Texas.
Maureen is doing good for the surgery and trauma she went through. She is still in the ICU unit but will be soon transferred to a room. At thispoint we have no idea when they will be able to transport her back to Texas. Mark is hanging in there and I truly believe he's still in shock. In order to honor the wishes of Sammy's (step son) family I cannot write about it. Again we thank you for your prayers and kind words. It will mean somuch to him to know that you wrote.
Yu can always email me and I will make sure he gets the message.
Marks sister

Hartland, WI

#16 Jul 22, 2007
Sorry for the mispells - no spell check on this page
Marks sister

Hartland, WI

#17 Jul 22, 2007
Edward Tompkins wrote:
Mark,
Your extended family at Bell has you and your family in all of our prayers. If there is anything that we can do, please don't hesitate to ask.
I did let Mark know you contacted him. I am hissister and am reading the emails daily to him. He does plan to contact you soon. He was in tears for the kind generoisty and words. We all were.

If you need to contact him please feel free to email me at the law firm I work at [email protected] I am printing and saving all the emails for him and responding to them.

I am not answering too much on line because the family members are being contacted by reporters.

Mary Jo
Bill Marshall

Memphis, TN

#18 Jul 23, 2007
Marks sister wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you so much for writing. I am Mark's sister in Wisconsin, and since he is unable to access the internet I am printing and reading the emails to him ahich I am saving to send to him when he can get back to Texas.
Maureen is doing good for the surgery and trauma she went through. She is still in the ICU unit but will be soon transferred to a room. At thispoint we have no idea when they will be able to transport her back to Texas. Mark is hanging in there and I truly believe he's still in shock. In order to honor the wishes of Sammy's (step son) family I cannot write about it. Again we thank you for your prayers and kind words. It will mean somuch to him to know that you wrote.
Yu can always email me and I will make sure he gets the message.
Thank you for the update.Just received an e-mail from another ex-military friend of Marks at Sawyer.(Ron Dalrymple) expressing his concern and sadness. I told him about the Tampa link and comments section for updatesw while Mark is traveling. Also sent a carbon copy to Mike Majeski in Peoria Arizona,who was also a co-worker at Sawyer. Bill
Erin Kelly

United States

#19 Jul 23, 2007
I am so glad when I read all of these messages and see that the power of prayer is being utilized. I am the girlfriend of Mark's son, Daniel, and although that seems a far connection when read, Mark and Maureen are like my second family and I love them both dearly. Please, please continue to pray...Dan and I have sent out a prayer chain to our families, and their churches, in Houston and Colorado. So far, God has listened and Sammy and Maureen are showing great strength. So I humbly ask , again, that the prayers do not stop next week, or after a month, but that your prayers are continually with them and their families, not matter what your belief system:)
Steady Shakes

New Port Richey, FL

#20 Jul 23, 2007
I WENT TO SCHOOL WITH THE BOYS OLDER SISTER AND THERE IN MY PRAYERS GOD BLESS THE WHOLE FAMILY...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tampa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Need help and I Mean need help Sun Dave 2
Joshua Fisher from USF pre med Jan 18 Mad Michelle 1
News Dogs Rescued From South Korean Dog Meat Farm Ar... Jan 17 Useless Dogs 1
Lyzayne (malcolm) whitaker Jan 16 question 2
An Item to help with pain Jan 15 Interesting 2
News Manatee County man charged with murder (Feb '08) Jan 15 ROFLMAO 1,013
News Florida woman wins $590.5m Powerball jackpot (May '13) Jan 13 Geezer Files 115

Tampa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Tampa Mortgages