Motorcycle passenger dies after crash

Troopers with the Florida Highway Patrol are investigating the death of a motorcyclist this morning. Full Story
Anthony

Tampa, FL

#1 Jan 13, 2008
Is this story location correct?? I was stuck on SR 54 in Odessa just east of Gunn Hwy & stuck in a semi massive back up...police had road closed & was unable to get to Tampa from New Port Richey that route. A medical helicopter took off from this scene. This was around 1245a.
Jim Brunson

Clearwater, FL

#2 Jan 13, 2008
I raced Porsches in Germany on racetracks and had fun on the Autobahn. I had big bikes way back when in the 1970's.

I drove sport bikes and high performance motorcycles in Tampa. I got hit by a car that left the scene. I traded the bikes for a jetski. I knew I would eventually get hit again. Best move I've made. Not quite as many distracted idiots on the water.

Cell phones should be banned from drivers that don't pull over when they get a call. Until that mindset is finally enforced, you couldn't get me to drive a motorcycle in Tampa Bay. It's just death coming at you.
RATIONAL CITIZEN

Zephyrhills, FL

#3 Jan 13, 2008
I wonder-- were the bikes going over a 120 MPH, at night, with only a headlight---- and the driver who was turning didn't see them because of the outrageous speed of the bikes? Let's see, at 120 MPH (cruising speed for these biker idiots), the bikes go about 1/4 mile in distance in just 7 seconds. Seven seconds is about the time it would take the truck slow, and make the 90 degree turn. At night the average person could not see a bike 1/4 mile away!
Did the bikers and passengers have approved helmets on when struck? I wonder??? Just wondering whose fault is this crash ---- bikers?? possible???
1 leg Mike

Tampa, FL

#4 Jan 13, 2008
back in 2003 I was on Dale Mabry heading north to Bearss from Fletcher and a 74 yr old guy took a left hand turn on coming into me.

I was going 35mph getting ready to move over to a turn lane. A sheriff was right behind me thank god because this old guy tried to run! I was wearing a full face Arai helmet, motorcycle jacket, gloves and heavy boots. Had I been wearing what most motorcyclist's wear I would have been dead! I was life flighted to St. John's and remained in the hospital for 2 months

I flat lined twice, broke every bone in my left arm, compound fractures, broke multiple bones in my left hand and 2 bones in my right arm. My pelvis was cracked and my left leg femur shattered and femoral artery ripped apart. I lost all of my left leg and am lucky to be alive.

Motorcycles are the most dangerous way of transportation there is. I know they are fun to ride and the lifestyle is equally fun as well. However motorcycles and the danger is not worth your life or being disfigured like I am.
Biker Dude

Palm Harbor, FL

#5 Jan 13, 2008
I am sorry that you lost your leg mike, and I understans why you no longer ride, but your totally wrong aout motorcycles being dangerous, motorcycles are no more dangerous then driving a car. The one thing you said is true, most motorcyclists are hit by CARELESS DRIVERS not speeding bikers and most bikers are hit by a cager (person who drivers a car)who is making a left hand turn and cagers always say I DIDN'T SEE THE MOTORCYCLE.Which is a total lie. Motorcycles are only as dangerous are the people driving cars.
As for you Rational Citizen, where do you get off blaming this accident on the bikers, you must have something against bikers which makes you very dangerous on the road, it's people like you rational that kills motorcyclists. LOOK TWICE AND SAVE A LIFE MOTOTCYCLES ARE EVERYWHERE. HIT A BIKER GO TO JAIL.
Noah

Plant City, FL

#6 Jan 13, 2008
I don't have a week go by when I check my side mirror, find the way clear, begin to merge into that lane in time to find a bike there.......I didn't see the bike because he was slicing in and out of traffic.......A moment later he's gone from sight, unexpectedly popping into someone else's merge area......BikerDude, I hope you'll understand if I've had it with victim groups who want everyone to keep them safe, when they won't speak against the bad members of their own group......When you get to a light next to the wheelie popper, or the speeding traffic cutter, do you EVER say anything to them?.......When you and your peers do, come on back and I take on Burt and Emma with you.....Noah
motorcycle riding father

Ruskin, FL

#7 Jan 13, 2008
this is florida a warm weather state this means alot of motorcycle riders especially now with the price of gas thru the roof alot of people are riding for financial reasons, be a courteous and thoughtful driver and watch what you are doing before you kill someone's son, daugter ,or parent.
JoeF

Tampa, FL

#8 Jan 13, 2008
Were the four people on the bikes wearing helmets and/or leather clothing???? Most of the ones I see scooting around Hernando, don't wear helmets. Some are wearing T shirts, shorts and tennis shoes. It's one thing to feel free, but another to be dead.
1 leg Mike

Tampa, FL

#9 Jan 13, 2008
Biker Dude, let me clairify myself and about the dangers of riding a motorcycle. Motorcyles are the most dangerous way of transportation when out on the road with cars and trucks. Motorcycles offer the driver or passanger of the bike ZERO protection. Also on another thought motorcycles are more dangerous even by themselves on the road as they offer ZERO protection if you happen to slip on sand,get a big Florida bug in the face, slip on oil, antifreeze and go down or off the road. In a car (or cager as you call them) there is protection on all sides to absorb impact.

Motorcycle riding father and a few others here you are so correct! Everyone needs to re-think their driving habits and skills and pay more attention to the task at hand...driving! Put the cell phones away, turn the radio down, buckle the baby and kids in and deal with your driving and not everything and everybody else in your automobile!
lakerfan

Nashville, TN

#10 Jan 13, 2008
I hate to hear about your story Mike and all the others like them. That's why I always watch out for the bikes.
Mitcheal Pearl

Tampa, FL

#11 Jan 13, 2008
Anthony wrote:
Is this story location correct?? I was stuck on SR 54 in Odessa just east of Gunn Hwy & stuck in a semi massive back up...police had road closed & was unable to get to Tampa from New Port Richey that route. A medical helicopter took off from this scene. This was around 1245a.
There were two fatal traffic crashes last night in Pasco County.

“That others might live”

Since: Dec 07

Tampa

#13 Jan 14, 2008
Again an inattentive driver, caused an accident that was totally avoidable if the driver had been paying attention. Condolences to the families involved in this accident. Charge the truck driver and let them have their day in court.
JRC

Marietta, GA

#14 Jan 14, 2008
I have been riding for almost 40 years. There is not way around the fact motorcycles are a dangereous way to travel. There are ways to minimize it but the reality is you are at the mercy of the cars around you. If someone pulls right in front of you at any speed over 25 mph you have a problem. Here is Florida it is worse given the elderly and the illegals with no drivers licenses at all as well as the idiots who just don't care. I plan of keeping riding but you just never know when your day will come and some bluehair will run you over.
Tim

North Port, FL

#15 Jan 14, 2008
"motorcycles are no more dangerous then driving a car" WTF is there a seatbelt on a motorcycle? There is nothing to keep you on it except your hands. I rode a motorcycle for years in my youth in the 70's no cell phones. I drive a car now given the driver inattention, almost everytime I see someone do something stupid, they are on a cellphone...
Riddler

New York, NY

#16 Jan 14, 2008
I think that it is not the bikers,i think people out there need to pay more attention,there should be more officers out on weekdays in critical areas,people should use there blinkers more often too,drive the speed limit which will never happen cause people always are in a hurry there should be courses given out on how to drive. This does not apply to everyone but there are people out there on those damn cellphones
Lynn

Plant City, FL

#17 Jan 14, 2008
Riddler, I could not agree with more there should be more officers on the streets , However as you know tax paying people like myself all we do is complain about how unsafe the driving conditions are, blah blah blah, the real problem with this solution is How are there to be more officers on the streets when people keep complaining about cutting taxes, after all this is where These Officers get paid is from our tax dollars so where do we draw the line. I feel that they are way underpaid for the things they have to endure. So you tell me were the solution is.
I dont feel however that having another officer would have stopped this particular accident from happening.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tampa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mitch Perry Report 10.24.14: The Big Dog to stu... 5 hr Liberal forever 1
Reliable Contracting ( What a Joke RELIABLE ) (Mar '11) 10 hr Corey Lakes 3
hud housing 12 hr badboylover 1
Top Stories - FBI Raids Outlaws Motorcycle Club... (Aug '07) 13 hr southbronx 205
New ordinance would allow visitors to take alco... Fri Liberal forever 1
Clinton to campaign for Crist in Tampa Fri Liberal forever 1
South Tampa Tijuana Flats opens Monday Fri Liberal forever 1
Tampa Dating
Find my Match

Tampa Jobs

Tampa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Tampa News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Tampa

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]