Florida - Infant Drowns While Mom Was...

Florida - Infant Drowns While Mom Was Buying Pot

There are 54 comments on the First Coast News Jacksonville story from Aug 29, 2007, titled Florida - Infant Drowns While Mom Was Buying Pot. In it, First Coast News Jacksonville reports that:

By WTSP-TV Tampa SEFFNER, FL -- Hillsborough County deputies say a Seffner mother was buying marijuana while her 9-month-old son was drowning in the bathtub.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at First Coast News Jacksonville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Real

Atlanta, GA

#41 Sep 5, 2007
dare I say wrote:
<quoted text>
I think drug dealers are felons and I think felons should foreit all constitutional rights. If they can't obey the law, they should not be protected by it when they are caught.
I agree with your line of reasoning here. I "also believe that if you abuse your rights you should lose them. But to be honest with you I don't believe that we will ever see it that way because the government has become to depended on the drug war for income. It creates a second class citizen as well for the low end paying job sector.

Crime is a money making opportunity on both sides of the law. If the government was serious about the drug war then why not start fighting it by securing the borders and flattening the dope fields in Afghanistan?

The large government we have today needs a lot of money to support it and the 40 year old drug war helps do just that, so I ask you this. Why would they want it any other way?
tommy salami

Jackson, TN

#42 Sep 5, 2007
lmao at gopher.
sue

United States

#43 Sep 5, 2007
Real wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with your line of reasoning here. I "also believe that if you abuse your rights you should lose them. But to be honest with you I don't believe that we will ever see it that way because the government has become to depended on the drug war for income. It creates a second class citizen as well for the low end paying job sector.
Crime is a money making opportunity on both sides of the law. If the government was serious about the drug war then why not start fighting it by securing the borders and flattening the dope fields in Afghanistan?
The large government we have today needs a lot of money to support it and the 40 year old drug war helps do just that, so I ask you this. Why would they want it any other way?
I doubt they do. They definetly do not want to close the borders. The government wants the illegals here and you are most likely right about the drug war as well.
hazleton

Boston, MA

#44 Sep 7, 2007
don't blame the drugs, it was the mother's own greed that killed her child. if it was cocaine or herion, or speed or anything else the results would have been the same. the baby was meant to die, because the mother cared more for herself that the child. that's the problem with kids making babies.
pot does make you forgetful, it does give you munchies and slow your reaction time. but there's no pot in the world that should make a mother forget about her child, especially if the child is in such a life threatening enviorment. not to mention the fact, that i have yet to find any information that stated that katrina was under the influence of pot at the time of her baby's death. if that is the case, there's no reasonable way to blame the effects of pot on the human body for this child's death.
now, i agree that pot should be legal, but think about what would actually happen if it was. it would get regulated, and taxed and be under the control of the government. my point: it wouldn't be worth it anymore. if pot was legal, then i think that a harder, faster, heavier drug would take it's place in our social commuinty. think about it... you can go anywhere and find a pot head, but it's a bit harder to find someone who does heroin.

“The Navarre Bridge”

Since: Sep 07

Navarre, FL

#45 Sep 10, 2007
the fact that this woman neglected her child is the only part that should be taken into consideration. OTHER than buying pot, she could have been doing a million other things (and still left her baby to drown) I have a feeling that not so many people in this bible-belt would be nearly as offended if she were drinking or gambling or any other "offensive" activity.
Please don't think that I'm defending her, however, as she deserves everythng she gets, but my point is, if she is the type of neglectful woman to do what she did, she could have left her baby to drown while doing the laundry, or talking to her neighbor, or anything else. My other point is: if you're going to place the blame on something OTHER than the person who did the deed, then ANYONE can get out of ANYTHING. This has got to be the ABSOLUTE FIRST death that is VAGUELY considered "pot related" that I have EVER heard or read of. Why don't we, instead, focus on all the children who have died by a drunk behind a wheel? and still no one does anything about it. There are commercials on tv now with lawyers telling you to call them if you need help getting out of a DUI!! If I could curse here right now, I would.

“The Navarre Bridge”

Since: Sep 07

Navarre, FL

#46 Sep 10, 2007
hazleton, I kindof agree with you, but I know a lot of self-respecting 'pot heads' who frown heavily upon ANY other drug. Pot is as natural as herbal tea, and practically has the same effect, just a lot heavier. Harder drugs are mostly NOT natural. Crystal Methamphetamines (created and mass distributed originally by Hitlers labs) is basically made out of break fluid and battery acid, and I don't even WANT to know what heroin is made out of. Sorry to ramble about the drug thing so much when the topic is about a woman killing her baby, but I'm very adamant about the legalization of marijuana and the abolition of alcohol. Unfortunately there's a lot of southern-baptists in our area that voted for liquor stores!! praise the Lord!:(

Since: Jan 07

Los Angeles, CA

#47 Sep 10, 2007
YOU ARE SO STUPID, WHAT IN THE HELL MAKES YOU THINK ITS OK? YEAH YOU NEED A CRACK IN YOUR HEAD.
WHAT A WASTE OF LIFE YOU ARE.
some dude

Zephyrhills, FL

#48 Sep 22, 2007
jesus said what comes out of a mans mouth defiles him, not what goes in (unless satan gives it to you.. hahaha). i think that classifing this poor woman as an evil person only god can judge her and may i also remind you what god said about killing people for any reason. loss of life is tragic, especialy when it is a child. perhaps us folks with enough time to respond to news stories should lead the crusade to eliminate drowning children alltogether (regardless of the reason their parent or guardian is distracted). maybe a chair that can be mounted in a tub could be the answer. now picture this a chair that will automatically elevate the child out of the water if a certain amount of pressure (much more than a baby is capable of) is not applied. i am thinking bungie cords and pulleis. it saddens me when people look for some one to hate, i am sure that young lady is going thru hell right now, very few people want to kill their kids. "let ye who is with out sin cast the first stone". or find an affordable solution that could help children every where.:)
beach mom

United States

#49 Sep 23, 2007
some dude wrote:
jesus said what comes out of a mans mouth defiles him, not what goes in (unless satan gives it to you.. hahaha). i think that classifing this poor woman as an evil person only god can judge her and may i also remind you what god said about killing people for any reason. loss of life is tragic, especialy when it is a child. perhaps us folks with enough time to respond to news stories should lead the crusade to eliminate drowning children alltogether (regardless of the reason their parent or guardian is distracted). maybe a chair that can be mounted in a tub could be the answer. now picture this a chair that will automatically elevate the child out of the water if a certain amount of pressure (much more than a baby is capable of) is not applied. i am thinking bungie cords and pulleis. it saddens me when people look for some one to hate, i am sure that young lady is going thru hell right now, very few people want to kill their kids. "let ye who is with out sin cast the first stone". or find an affordable solution that could help children every where.:)
How about good parenting? Never leave your child unattended in or around water.
How about responsibility? Give up the drugs and partying and take responsibility for the life you brought into this world.
William

Taylorsville, NC

#50 Sep 24, 2007
beach mom wrote:
<quoted text>
How about good parenting? Never leave your child unattended in or around water.
How about responsibility? Give up the drugs and partying and take responsibility for the life you brought into this world.
Beach Mom uses "good common sense" which is the best approach.

Since: Jul 07

Jacksonville, FL

#51 Sep 24, 2007
Burn her at the stake.
Cassie

Navarre, FL

#53 Dec 2, 2012
You people are all being morons what tw did was wrong but y'all are just blaming the plant that she was getting she shouldn't have Ben buying it when she was with her son but its not the weed its the person who is smoking it I u can't handle weed the. Know one should smoke it i smoke weed all day every day I'm not dead I have a life making money and writin my son livin life stop blaming the drug when it is the person someone said the baby wouldn't have lived passed that day probly and that person might be right because u don't just leave ur child in the bath wether ur high or not it's just common since in mother hood and yes senshouldface death in prison cause she was stupid too leave her kid if ur going too but weed do it when ur not around ur kid that's all I got too say so all y'all need too stop calls people morons cause the only
One that is is the motha who drawend her son
Cassie

Navarre, FL

#54 Dec 2, 2012
nobody important wrote:
Call me crazy but I am sorry to say it is nobody elses fault that her baby died except her own....nobody held a gun to her head and walked her away from that bathroom with her baby in there so she could answer her drug call....to youpeople that feel it was the society who is to blame....you need to wake up!She made that decision to walk away from that child to go make sure she didnt lose her chances of getting high later.You are sick individuals if you blame anyone else but the mother!
u are so right she was the idiot who was too worried about her dealer and put that call before her own baby know one els should pay for that she should be paying life too death I feel like
Cassie

Navarre, FL

#55 Dec 2, 2012
hazleton wrote:
don't blame the drugs, it was the mother's own greed that killed her child. if it was cocaine or herion, or speed or anything else the results would have been the same. the baby was meant to die, because the mother cared more for herself that the child. that's the problem with kids making babies.
pot does make you forgetful, it does give you munchies and slow your reaction time. but there's no pot in the world that should make a mother forget about her child, especially if the child is in such a life threatening enviorment. not to mention the fact, that i have yet to find any information that stated that katrina was under the influence of pot at the time of her baby's death. if that is the case, there's no reasonable way to blame the effects of pot on the human body for this child's death.
now, i agree that pot should be legal, but think about what would actually happen if it was. it would get regulated, and taxed and be under the control of the government. my point: it wouldn't be worth it anymore. if pot was legal, then i think that a harder, faster, heavier drug would take it's place in our social commuinty. think about it... you can go anywhere and find a pot head, but it's a bit harder to find someone who does heroin.
you make a lot of since and I totally agree with what ur saying she should have never left her baby there if ur a mom whether ur high or not ur baby is ur fort priority and I should never just leave ur baby sitting in a tub the mom was just careless

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tampa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Adult football league (Aug '08) 43 min joshua 12
News Top Stories - FBI Raids Outlaws Motorcycle Club... (Aug '07) 6 hr Johnny Bryant or ... 209
Wondering 17 hr That One Girl 1
NEGRO ALERT TAMPA - Schools out, it's criminal ... 20 hr Capt America 1
News The flip side of years of no hurricanes: Good l... 21 hr Your Ex 1
kEeP a WoRd*DrOp A wOrD 22 hr meeeooww 110
News Dermatology clinics closed (Mar '11) Sun Monique 6
More from around the web

Tampa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]