Teen wears bullet proof vest to school

Police have uncovered a stash of weapons after arresting a student at the Life Skills Center, an alternative high school on East Memorial Boulevard in Lakeland. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Anonymous

Las Vegas, NV

#88 Jun 20, 2009
John wrote:
I think it is illegal for a civilian to own or wear body armour or even a kevlar vest. If it was legal all of your gang members in South St Pete would be wearing that kind of stuff.
It's not illegal for a civilians to own or wear body armor. The reason these gang members aren't wearing body armor is because almost all (legal) dealers will not sell to civilians, only law enforcement, military, and federal authorities, this makes it difficult for illegal dealers to obtain. Another reason they may not wear body armor is because they are covert, not overt. Overt would be walking down the street with a fully automatic AK-47, 200 rounds of ammunition, ready to fight. You definitely won't see that in many places except for maybe Afghanistan. Another reason the bad guys won't wear this stuff is because it's very expensive and unnecessary, same reason rapists don't wear condoms.
Charles

Schodack Landing, NY

#89 Feb 14, 2010
John wrote:
I think it is illegal for a civilian to own or wear body armour or even a kevlar vest. If it was legal all of your gang members in South St Pete would be wearing that kind of stuff.
Nope! It is not illegal in Florida and shouldn't be. In fact, you can order it online.
Mozillagorilla

New Port Richey, FL

#90 Aug 4, 2010
must've been Tackleberry's kid
Free Country

Eagle Lake, FL

#91 Nov 20, 2010
Did they search his house because he wore body armor to school? I grew up on a farm up north and have hunted and collected guns and weapons since I was a young boy. Did this mean that I was a criminal? I have never shot or shot at anyone I have never even pointed a gun at anyone, I just enjoyed guns and weapons of all kinds and yes I have had body armor. my parents knew of my fascination with weapons and took part in educating me about them even buying my first guns for me. Were they criminals? I am 50 now and still enjoy weapons of all kinds, it's my hobby just like some people collect stamps, hell even they can go postal. guns don't kill, people do.
Don

Mount Washington, KY

#92 Mar 23, 2011
Here's the REAL deal. If people attacked the 1st Amendment like they do the 2nd Amendment, the news media would have a cow.It always has been and always will be about politics. The countries in Eastern Europe (formally of the Soviet Bloc)have more freedoms than we do here in the U.S. Keep your powder dry boys. You're gonna need it.
Josh

Orlando, FL

#93 Jan 2, 2013
DapperDave wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right Holly.
There's always some idiot talking up the "legality" of clearly aberant behaviors. Then the same idiot wants to cry "Why wasn't something done?" ...AFTER the maniac who had a virtual armory of high-powered weapons and thousands of rounds of ammunition in his possession finally snaps and massacres 5, 10, 20 people.
This nut obviously has some serious issues and, in all likelihood, had bad intentions.
He did plenty of things illegal, and legal. The problem isn't the arrest or the search warrant and resulting seizures. What is wrong is that they didn't charge the kid with the proper crimes. Owning the Ak's and the vest is legal for all civilians, what wasn't was his choice in firing them at private property, owning gas grenades, and blowing things up is. Glad he is off the street, though I hope they change the charges to properly fit the crimes committed.

Since: Dec 12

Palm Harbor, FL

#94 Jan 3, 2013
If anyone is interested in acquiring their Concealed Carry Permit, we will be conducting classes at the Lakeland Gun Show Jan 19-20! Call us to Pre-Register at 866-371-6111 or check out our website for dates and times, Www.Equip2Conceal.Com
Peter

Bronx, NY

#96 Jan 4, 2014
John wrote:
Sorry but I just think that is complete shit. Oh yeah okay but corrupt police officers who are complete a**holes and if anything break the law can wear body armor and carry a gun with them into a Starbucks whenever the hell they want is totally fair right? Pff, America? Land of the free? Yeah okay. Just like how mayor Bloomberg tried to ban soda in NYC. Yeah okay land of the free my ass. This country is really starting to suck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tampa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rare panther sighting in Central Florida (May '08) 4 hr Ghost 91
Car burglars target subdivisions near U.S. 301 (Mar '08) 12 hr ConcernedHumanita... 25
With gay marriage on the horizon, Visit Tampa B... 18 hr Misrty 17
Review: Ace American Home (Jul '12) Thu chuck 16
Fla. Muslim Convicted Thu JCJ 1
An electronic offering plate? Churches join e-g... Wed Will Dockery 1
Many college students regard hookah smoking saf... Dec 17 Sneaky Pete 3
Tampa Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Tampa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Tampa News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Tampa