Why Are So Many Sellers Leaving Ebay?
Ecommerce

United States

#21 Jun 27, 2013
Ebay is favoring big super sellers and basically squeezing out the "little guy". Donahoe has said as much, even calling mom & pops "noise" in one of his speeches.
Get Off My Lawn

Franklin, MI

#22 Jun 28, 2013
I would like to make some noise that Donahoe might stand up and take notice to:

I deal heavily in antique toy trains. When eBay first started out, the train collectors jumped on the bandwagon in a big way!(There is a lot of buying / selling / trading in this hobby.)

And initially it was great for both buyers and sellers. But it immediately had a negative impact on the traditional train swap meets which have always been the heart and soul of the hobby. Now in the 20 or so years of eBay, the local train swap has turned into a dumping grounds for all the dregs that a seller can't get rid of any other way. Even the giant York PA meet (worlds largest toy train swap meet) has more than begun to feel the pinch!

Call me old fashioned or whatever you like, but I greatly prefer to see the item I'm considering buy with my own eyes, and picking it up in my own hands BEFORE I buy it! And there's nothing quite like looking a seller in the eye and dickering over the price as well! eBay has just about ruined all that. And of course in that 20 years time, eBay has slowly turned into a greedy monster, as we all know!

So everywhere I go I'm trying to convince my fellow train collectors to boycott eBay, siting that we have lost much more than we have gained. It's a hard sell though; eBay is a bad habit!!!

Maybe a national boycott of only one same segment of what has grown into "eBeast" will get their attention!

Hear that Donahoe??????????
Reality

United States

#23 Jun 28, 2013
Staring in 2008, ebay put into place a set of bad policies which combine to drive away the small seller. The effort to gradually eliminate the "little guy" is BY DELIBERATE DESIGN at ebay.

Since: Mar 12

United States

#24 Jun 29, 2013
SOLD OUT,LoL
Analyst

United States

#25 Jul 1, 2013
And now with the advent of ebay China, thousands of Chinese sellers are flooding ebay with cheap, shoddy items at rock bottom prices. This not only undermines American ebay sellers, but it cheapens ebay and lowers its prestige as a site.
OnlineSeller

United States

#26 Jul 4, 2013
The flawed DSR system is driving a lot of small sellers off. High volume sellers are not impacted by low DSR ratings nearly as severely or as quickly as small sellers.
Ecommerce

United States

#27 Jul 5, 2013
OnlineSeller wrote:
The flawed DSR system is driving a lot of small sellers off. High volume sellers are not impacted by low DSR ratings nearly as severely or as quickly as small sellers.
The flawed DSR system is one of ebay's ways of "weeding out" the "little guy". It is one of many bad policies ebay put into place starting in 2008 that serve to eliminate the mom & pops. As mentioned earlier in this thread, high volume sellers are taking over and this is the way ebay corporate wants it.
MarketAnalysis

United States

#28 Jul 6, 2013
The Department of Justice filed a civil antitrust lawsuit against ebay back in November 2012. This would be worth watching to see what the outcome will be once it goes to court.
Evie

Erie, PA

#29 Jul 12, 2013
Analyst wrote:
And now with the advent of ebay China, thousands of Chinese sellers are flooding ebay with cheap, shoddy items at rock bottom prices. This not only undermines American ebay sellers, but it cheapens ebay and lowers its prestige as a site.
I agree with you on the sellers from China. Just like everything else in America, China has taken over. It's a shame.
Economics

United States

#30 Jul 15, 2013
As has been said many times before "As long as ebay is making money, they don't care."
OnlineSeller

United States

#31 Aug 1, 2013
It would seem that the level of seller dissatisfaction at ebay is achieving critical mass. The discussion boards there are full of threads by unhappy sellers.
burned

United States

#32 Aug 1, 2013
So many buyers are scanners too. They bid/win and tell you they don't want the item. You refund and they file a claim that you never sent the item. So you end up paying them again.
Ecommerce

United States

#33 Aug 9, 2013
Ebay blocked 15,000 sellers from listing earlier this week in their latest "purge".
Ecommerce

United States

#34 Aug 15, 2013
Ina Steiner has a great article on the purge titled Ebay Confirms Seller Crackdown or something close to that at EcommerceBytes.com
FormerEbayer

United States

#36 Aug 19, 2013
Guardrail, trending, and Quick Decline are the mechanisms in place which target small sellers' DSR ratings and accelerate their Below Standard status which then enables ebay to impose restrictions, PayPal funds holds, seller limitations, and the gradual (or not so gradual) elimination of the small seller.
Consumer Watch

United States

#37 Aug 31, 2013
The amoral "law unto itself" entity that ebay has become can be traced back to John Donahoe becoming CEO around early 2008 and the introduction of the DSRs and a number of other egregious policies: PayPal holds of whatever length, seller limitations, forcing sellers to only take PayPal (or at least not allowing them to announce that they can and will accept money orders), the fee hikes of course, Guardrail or Quick Decline and trending. All of this has combined (by design) to create a hostile environment of fear and distrust for small sellers at ebay. All of it combines to drive small sellers off through restrictions and suspensions or because they wake up to what is going on and leave by choice. Because of the nature of predatory capitalism, ebay survives and thrives because there do not appear to be outside mechanisms (SEC, FTC, Attorney General's offices, Senators, Congressmen) reacting to the illegalities being perpetrated by ebay. Are they blind to it, unaware of it, or "bought off". I lean toward a combination of the three, which is why a good investigative report by some major television network may be needed to really get the ball rolling in terms of exposing ebay publically and getting a real investigation into by authorities capable of doing something about it. I personally lean toward a House/Senate Committee Investigation of ebay (televised of course) along the lines of the Watergate Hearings or the Clarence Thomas hearings. If dozens and dozens of sellers who have suffered unjustly from ebay could testify before government officials UNDER OATH factually and truthfully this would be DAMNING to ebay. The further grilling of ebay top brass as they attempt to justify their egregious actions would be the icing on the cake. I urge anyone reading this to write to your Congressman or Senator in Washington DC (you can Google contact info), state your case accurately, and request an investigation into ebay. Snail mail still works better for OFFICIAL matters, but don't hesitate to email or call their 800 numbers as well.
altha2008

Brandon, FL

#38 Sep 6, 2013
tried it for first time a few weeks ago.
sold Some of my DVD collections.
By the time I paid all the Feesxand shipping
I lost 80% of what I could had
made on criglist or yard selling
Observer

United States

#39 Sep 7, 2013
altha2008 wrote:
tried it for first time a few weeks ago.
sold Some of my DVD collections.
By the time I paid all the Feesxand shipping
I lost 80% of what I could had
made on criglist or yard selling
Nationwide, many people are in fact returning to yard sales, flea markets, consignment shops and of course Craigslist.
NetSeller

United States

#41 Sep 21, 2013
If those 15,000 who were purged by ebay on August 6, 2013 would do what I have been doing for weeks both here and on blogs and other topix forums in various cities, and if they were writing letters and making phone calls to the FTC and attorney general offices in the states wherein they reside, ebay would already have its hands full. But don't worry. that's coming. A little slower than some of us would prefer perhaps.
FiveandDime

United States

#42 Sep 27, 2013
IS EBAY BECOMING AN ONLINE FIVE AND DIME? As Chinese sellers with cheap rock bottom priced items and big box retailers with deep discount items take over, is ebay becoming the WallyWorld of the internet? As it loses unique mom and pops with unusual higher-priced hard-to-find items, does ebay not simply become another mass retail venue with dime a dozen goods?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tampa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lawsuit Alleges Illegal Debt Collection Practic... (May '07) 6 hr Christie Taylor 321
News 3 Tampa Starbucks Among Those To Be Closed (Jul '08) 6 hr Christie Taylor 51
News Florida woman wins $590.5m Powerball jackpot (May '13) 14 hr Rubic Pubes 154
Pinellas Cowboy Cops Gone Wild Mon Chava 4
SEE TAMPA and DIE! Nov 15 BizzyBee 1
News News 41 mins ago 8:25 p.m.'Transracial' man bor... Nov 13 Joe 1
LEAH REMINI is coming for JUSTICE! Nov 12 Yeah 3

Tampa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Tampa Mortgages