Why Are So Many Sellers Leaving Ebay?

Posted in the Tampa Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
OnlineSeller

United States

#1 May 26, 2013
A look at the Discussion Board threads on ebay reveals lots of angry, dissatisfied sellers who are packing up shop and taking their items to other online sites. What's happening at ebay that's causing this?
Get Off My Lawn

Franklin, MI

#2 May 26, 2013
It's because we sellers are sick of eBay's exorbitant charges and their Nazi (Yes Nazi) like tactics in setting the rules.

When you count all the costs, eBay gets 15 - 16 % of the sale price! And that's for an item that sells for, say $100 and costs $10 to ship. And yes, those greedy bean counters at eBay charge a final value fee on a quoted shipping charge as well! So for a low cost item that is expensive to ship due to weight, etc., the percentage eBay takes is even higher and can get much worse!

Their basic "buyer is always right, seller is always wrong" policy of handling returns and disputes is also particularly troubling to a seller. And their Feedback system is a joke! It's impossible know if a buyer has a bad history, because it's impossible to give a buyer anything but positive feedback, even if the buyer never pays a seller for an item!

Just recently, they raised the Final Value Fees (Sale Price & Shipping) from 9% to 10%, they stopped allowing a seller to paste internet links in the text of an auction (for additional pictures etc.), and they began requiring Buy It Now prices to be 30% more than the opening bid, up from 10%. All of these changes proved to be a major pain for the items I sell.

And then the Seller Discounts! For a small seller like myself, they will take away the Bronze seller discount for the minutest of reasons! And there is no disputing this; again eBay is always right and the seller is always wrong! You are basically dealing with a machine, not people!

When I started selling on eBay back in '06, it was great. But they have slowly tightened the screws by raising their fees and changing their rules to the point where now it has become intolerable!

I could go on and on, but you get my point!

As soon as I can find a better alternative, it's by by eBay!!!!!!!!!!
OnlineSeller

United States

#3 May 28, 2013
I have found Bonanza to be a good alternative. I've sold some items there and they let you import all your items from ebay (which I did).
Bearing Arms

Bradenton, FL

#4 May 28, 2013
I've been burned as a seller and a buyer too many times with ebay. I'll look into Bonanza.
Get Off My Lawn

Franklin, MI

#5 May 28, 2013
OnlineSeller wrote:
I have found Bonanza to be a good alternative. I've sold some items there and they let you import all your items from ebay (which I did).
Thanks! I'm going to look up Bonanza too!
WebSales

United States

#6 May 31, 2013
Two other selling sites that are great alternatives to ebay are Addoway and www.hulobu.com
LegalAspects

United States

#7 Jun 4, 2013
An attorney write a great article about ebay's 21-day hold on PayPal funds and posted it on one of the PayPal Discussion Boards. Here's the link: https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/How-to-us...
Get Off My Lawn

Franklin, MI

#8 Jun 5, 2013
LegalAspects wrote:
An attorney write a great article about ebay's 21-day hold on PayPal funds and posted it on one of the PayPal Discussion Boards. Here's the link: https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/How-to-us...
PayPal has a 21 day hold? I am not aware of that. Could you tell us more about this?

I have always been able to transfer money from PayPal to my bank with only the 4 - 5 days wait to clear.

The article dates back to Jan. 2010. Perhaps this 21 day hold has since been done away with?????

Please let us know. Thanks.
FormerEbayer

Grand Saline, TX

#9 Jun 6, 2013
Get Off My Lawn wrote:
<quoted text>
PayPal has a 21 day hold? I am not aware of that. Could you tell us more about this?
I have always been able to transfer money from PayPal to my bank with only the 4 - 5 days wait to clear.
The article dates back to Jan. 2010. Perhaps this 21 day hold has since been done away with?????
Please let us know. Thanks.
Unfortunately, it still exists. Forunately, according to Florida state law the maximum length of time that ebay could slap a 21-day hold on YOUR PayPal funds would be 10 days. A Florida man actually challenged the 21-day thing and Florida state regulators contacted paypal and had them release his funds. Now fortunately you've never been burned. I went for 14 years, from 1999 until month before last (April) before ebay started slapping 21-days holds on my PayPal funds. The way it gets trigerred is if a couple of people leave you low DSR ratings, if you start selling in a new category you don't normally sell in, if you add a new credit card to your account, etc. Ebay has various "excuses" to slap the hold on you.
Get Off My Lawn

Franklin, MI

#10 Jun 7, 2013
FormerEbayer wrote:
<quoted text> Unfortunately, it still exists. Forunately, according to Florida state law the maximum length of time that ebay could slap a 21-day hold on YOUR PayPal funds would be 10 days. A Florida man actually challenged the 21-day thing and Florida state regulators contacted paypal and had them release his funds. Now fortunately you've never been burned. I went for 14 years, from 1999 until month before last (April) before ebay started slapping 21-days holds on my PayPal funds. The way it gets trigerred is if a couple of people leave you low DSR ratings, if you start selling in a new category you don't normally sell in, if you add a new credit card to your account, etc. Ebay has various "excuses" to slap the hold on you.
Thanks for the input. I guess I never did anything to trigger the hold.

eBay seems to have all kinds of rules buried deep so no one knows about them, until eBay wants to use them on you!

I always thought that there was something inherently wrong with eBay owning both the selling site and the bank!(PayPal.)
Get Off My Lawn

Franklin, MI

#11 Jun 7, 2013
Another thing: With all the "seller tools" eBay has available, it would be extremely simple for them to calculate your actual net sales amount for each auction.

But they don't! Why? Because they really don't want sellers to truly see how deep they are reaching into their pocket!

I mean they make available the final value fees for both the sale amount and shipping. The seller pays for postage either through eBay or PayPal, and then the seller can log into PayPal to see what was charged to the their account there.

I calculate all this for myself on my own worksheets. I'd like to know how much I made or lost on each transaction.

Since eBay and PayPal are one in the same, it would be so easy for them to do this for us; but they won't!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, I have to go now so I can try to get paid from a deadbeat buyer; something else that eBay does nothing about!
EbaySeller

United States

#12 Jun 8, 2013
The deck is definitely stacked against the little guy and especially new sellers. The whole DSR thing causes a lot of problems.
EbaySeller

United States

#13 Jun 10, 2013
Get Off My Lawn wrote:
Another thing: With all the "seller tools" eBay has available, it would be extremely simple for them to calculate your actual net sales amount for each auction.
But they don't! Why? Because they really don't want sellers to truly see how deep they are reaching into their pocket!
I mean they make available the final value fees for both the sale amount and shipping. The seller pays for postage either through eBay or PayPal, and then the seller can log into PayPal to see what was charged to the their account there.
I calculate all this for myself on my own worksheets. I'd like to know how much I made or lost on each transaction.
Since eBay and PayPal are one in the same, it would be so easy for them to do this for us; but they won't!!!!!!!!!!
Oh well, I have to go now so I can try to get paid from a deadbeat buyer; something else that eBay does nothing about!
Another thing I'm noticing in the ebay Discussion Board threads is how many longtime sellers are getting knocked out of TRS (Top Rated Seller) status by a couple of dings on their stars (low DSR ratings, 1's and 2's). Then of course ebay starts the fee hikes on Final Value Fees.
Get Off My Lawn

Franklin, MI

#14 Jun 10, 2013
EbaySeller wrote:
<quoted text> Another thing I'm noticing in the ebay Discussion Board threads is how many longtime sellers are getting knocked out of TRS (Top Rated Seller) status by a couple of dings on their stars (low DSR ratings, 1's and 2's). Then of course ebay starts the fee hikes on Final Value Fees.
You are absolutely right! They will use the lamest of reasons to take away the Bronze seller discount. A seller needs to have 98% compliance on the "Tracking loaded with 24 Hours" rule. Many times I won't sell quite 50 items during a rating period, so it's 1 strike and I am out!

You also need 100 sales minimum per year (I think) to maintain Bronze status. Near the end of last year I saw that I had only 98 sales, so I set up 2 phony sales ($1.00 each), had a friend bid on them and set it up for free local pickup only.

Well, it didn't work! They still busted me for not loading the tracking, even though it was for local pickup only! Can you believe that?

You just can't win with those eBay dirt bags! One of the many reasons why I refer to them as Nazis!
NetWatch

United States

#15 Jun 13, 2013
Get Off My Lawn wrote:
<quoted text>
You are absolutely right! They will use the lamest of reasons to take away the Bronze seller discount. A seller needs to have 98% compliance on the "Tracking loaded with 24 Hours" rule. Many times I won't sell quite 50 items during a rating period, so it's 1 strike and I am out!
You also need 100 sales minimum per year (I think) to maintain Bronze status. Near the end of last year I saw that I had only 98 sales, so I set up 2 phony sales ($1.00 each), had a friend bid on them and set it up for free local pickup only.
Well, it didn't work! They still busted me for not loading the tracking, even though it was for local pickup only! Can you believe that?
You just can't win with those eBay dirt bags! One of the many reasons why I refer to them as Nazis!
This kind of stuff is why so many sellers are leaving ebay.
Spotlight

United States

#16 Jun 15, 2013
Here's another good article about ebay: www.mainstreet.com/article/small-business/eba...
Analyst

United States

#17 Jun 18, 2013
I think this new Global Shipping program will prove to be a gigantic fiasco for ebay. The sellers will bear the brunt of it, of course, like they always do.
FormerEbayMom

United States

#18 Jun 20, 2013
I got so frustrated with ebay that I've gone back to consignment shops and yard sales. I put the kiddos out to help with the yard sale when I have one.
OnlineSeller

United States

#19 Jun 22, 2013
Wonder how this new highly "pushed" Global Shipping Program that ebay's concocted will turn out for sellers? Surely ebay won't let sellers take the hit for mistakes their third-party shipper, Pitney-Bowes, makes. Or will they?
FormerEbayMom

United States

#20 Jun 24, 2013
It got to where it just wasn't any fun anymore. Nazi regulations and restrictions like somebody else said earlier in this thread.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tampa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Runaway Mom' Brenda Heist now in Panhandle jail (May '13) 11 hr Joe 3
News Doctor accused of fondling another woman (Oct '07) 11 hr Sarah 37
sexting numbers (Jun '15) 18 hr Needsex 16
News Tampa No Stranger To Intrigue Of Organized Crime (Aug '08) Fri Paul2232 71
News Florida woman wins $590.5m Powerball jackpot (May '13) Fri Vaginal wall odor 50
Potbelly Jun 21 Hungry 1
Adult theater Jun 19 Long Dong Silver 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Tampa Mortgages