Church in Tamaqua

Posted in the Tamaqua Forum

Lambert

Schnecksville, PA

#1 Jan 3, 2011
What's the Lithuanian church in Tamaqua? Does it still have many parishioners (if it's open)?
Liths

Berwick, PA

#2 Jan 3, 2011
SS Peter and Paul, still open, in fact got a little bigger with people coming down from Coaldale
Lambert

Plumsteadville, PA

#3 Jan 3, 2011
Liths wrote:
SS Peter and Paul, still open, in fact got a little bigger with people coming down from Coaldale
Do they still do anything ethnic?
Former Tamaquan

New York, NY

#4 Jan 4, 2011
I called the church today. They no longer offer masses in Lithuanian.
Info

Palm Bay, FL

#5 Jan 4, 2011
SS Peter and Paul Lithuanian Church
307 Pine St
Rev Linkchorst
5-7-0-6-6-8-1-1-5-0
Here I Am

Pottsville, PA

#6 Jan 4, 2011
Lambert wrote:
What's the Lithuanian church in Tamaqua? Does it still have many parishioners (if it's open)?
It is open and the pastor there is wonderful. More and more people are switching from St. Jerome to SS. Peter and Paul because of the great pastor and atmosphere.
Shakey

Schnecksville, PA

#7 Jan 5, 2011
Were there a lot of Lithuanians in Tamaqua (or Schuylkill County)?
Parishioner

Barnesville, PA

#8 Jan 5, 2011
Great Church! Father is awesome!!!!
Bozo

Frackville, PA

#9 Jan 6, 2011
This is the first thread ever on Topix that hasn't had derogatory remarks made in it.
not confused

Palmerton, PA

#10 Jan 6, 2011
Shakey wrote:
Were there a lot of Lithuanians in Tamaqua (or Schuylkill County)?
Yes, a large segment of Lithuanians settled in this area in the early days. Many communities, including Tamaqua and Coaldale had what they called Lithuanian Catholic Churches. St. Jerome's was once known as the Irish Catholic Church. The diocese began frowning on such ethnic distinctions and many of the old traditions were discouraged. With the recent church closings, the ethnicity of the churches was even more diluted, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The Schuylkill Mall still sponsors a Lithuanian Days Heritage Festival every year and you can find Lithuanian food items at the Hometown Farmers Market every Wednesday.
Here I Am

Pottsville, PA

#11 Jan 6, 2011
Bozo wrote:
This is the first thread ever on Topix that hasn't had derogatory remarks made in it.
It is certainly a nice change from other threads! Anyone who knows the pastor would never have a negative comment to make. He is a great person who cares about the parishioners and the church - not about money.
Bill

Schnecksville, PA

#12 Jan 6, 2011
Wasn't Dutch Hill the Lithuanian section?
Former Tamaquan

New York, NY

#13 Jan 7, 2011
Dutch Hill had many Lithuanians. I remember Fritz Spokas's deli and Gina Student's bar.

Schuylkill is one of the most heavily Lithuanian parts of the country. New Philadelphia, West Mahanoy, Shenandoah, and Girardville have the highest proportion of residents with Lithuanian heritage.
not confused

Palmerton, PA

#14 Jan 7, 2011
There were also a lot of Lithanians in the South Ward. I remember neighborhood stores on Spruce and Penn Street as being owned by Lits.
ex-tamaquan

Schnecksville, PA

#15 Jan 7, 2011
Does anyone remember Fr. Stanley Lukshus at St. peter & pauls?
not confused

Palmerton, PA

#16 Jan 10, 2011
yes
Straight talker

Yatesboro, PA

#17 Jan 15, 2011
Father Linkchorst is a great priest but SS Peter and Paul church will be closed when he retires due to the lack of priests in the Diocese of Allentown.
not totally true

Frackville, PA

#18 Jan 15, 2011
Straight talker wrote:
Father Linkchorst is a great priest but SS Peter and Paul church will be closed when he retires due to the lack of priests in the Diocese of Allentown.
There is a young man who is in the Seminary who helps with Mass when he is home on break. He will be ordained in 6 years - the same year that Fr. will retire and he could possibly take over the church. And if that does not happen who is to say it will be that church to close and not St. Jerome. St. Jerome needs a lot of work done to it...it is not structurally sound. The Steeple is in terrible shape and they don't have the money to fix it. SS Peter & Paul is structurally and financially sound. So there is no way to know which one will close. I think it would be foolish to close one that is in great shape and keep one open that would need tons of money to fix...but that is just my opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tamaqua Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Megan's Law offender arrested when he allegedly... 22 hr GOP 2014 4
chili dog meth lab? 23 hr Hawtdawg 4
majestic apartments? Sat rocky dennis 13
Police on scene at possible meth lab in Tamaqua Fri Sonny Trudich 3
Missing Mahoning teen located, is safe Oct 17 Wat 2
Best high school football player Oct 10 mike vick 8
Tamaqua drug sweep nets 20 Oct 8 Richard Kranium 26
Tamaqua Dating
Find my Match

Tamaqua Jobs