Troopers give account of attack

Jul 24, 2011 Full story: Anchorage Daily News 7

Early this morning a group of teenagers participating in an outdoor survival skills and leadership program were rescued after being attack by a brown bear with a cub near Chulitna.

Full Story
American citizen

United States

#1 Jul 24, 2011
Those were some lucky boys. I hope they all come through this with no debilitating injuries. 2 of them are lucky to be alive.

The shame of it would be if they were sent on this trek with no real protection. There's a reason anyone with a brain carries when in the bush regardless of it is where these boys were or just outside Anchorage. All of them were from Outside, so I wonder if they were not allowed to have weapons.

I truly hope this is not the case, but if it is so, whoever is responsible needs to be horsewhipped.
Old Army

Greenbrier, AR

#2 Jul 25, 2011
That's interesting and I tend to agree, but you don't have to be in bear country to protect yourself. A few armed adults in Norway might have saved a bunch of lives.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#3 Jul 25, 2011
State troopers, always giving press releases after people are dead or mauled, LOL!

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#4 Jul 25, 2011
American citizen wrote:
Those were some lucky boys. I hope they all come through this with no debilitating injuries. 2 of them are lucky to be alive.
Actually, if they die it would still serve to send a message to people who use the information to correctly deal with such situations, so their deaths wouldn't have been for nothing.
Kung Pao Stricken

Rochester, NY

#5 Jul 26, 2011
This is the great risk you take when hiking in Bear Country after cubbing season.
No different than swimming in waters that are known to have attacking sharks, or a river in S.America where Pirahna attacks have been known to happen, or rivers in Africa with Crocs and Hippos.

Mother Nature don't play

Since: Jun 07

Anchorage, AK

#6 Jul 26, 2011
going to"outdoor leadership school", contrary to many in that world that feel they have some of special connection with nature for having attended, doesn't mean squat to a momma grizzly protecting her cub. in fact, that fact that there seven of them probably increased the concern og the bear for her cub and increased the ferocity of the attack. it was clear from the fact that one of the worse mauled kids "fought back" that they did not even know the fundamentals of such attacks. fight back with black bears -- play dead with grizzlies. if you want tosend these kids up into the colorado rockies for a month, that's one thing. but to send them into that part of alaska unarmed shows a surprising lack of wisdom on the part of the leaders of that school. the out come would not have eben any different if they had sent "seal teaam six" in unarmed.

p.s. i prospect for gold abovr the artic circle. they were luck they weren't attacked before then
American citizen

United States

#7 Jul 26, 2011
4horsemen wrote:
going to"outdoor leadership school", contrary to many in that world that feel they have some of special connection with nature for having attended, doesn't mean squat to a momma grizzly protecting her cub. in fact, that fact that there seven of them probably increased the concern og the bear for her cub and increased the ferocity of the attack. it was clear from the fact that one of the worse mauled kids "fought back" that they did not even know the fundamentals of such attacks. fight back with black bears -- play dead with grizzlies. if you want tosend these kids up into the colorado rockies for a month, that's one thing. but to send them into that part of alaska unarmed shows a surprising lack of wisdom on the part of the leaders of that school. the out come would not have eben any different if they had sent "seal teaam six" in unarmed.

p.s. i prospect for gold abovr the artic circle. they were luck they weren't attacked before then
Absolutely. They are damned lucky to not be dead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Talkeetna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Y Music Thread (Dec '13) Jun '14 Musikologist 4
Alaskan Cat Mayor Nearly Assassinated By Dog (Sep '13) Oct '13 Beverly 2
Dog mauls town mayor, Stubbs the cat (Sep '13) Sep '13 Ohio boy 1
Cat is mayor in Talkeetna (Sep '12) Jul '13 etta mae shanks 4
Who do you support for U.S. House in Alaska (Di... (Oct '10) Apr '13 gee 6
Kenai Peninsula Waters Remain At Flood Stage (Mar '13) Mar '13 Andy 1
Heavy rains close Richardson, Denali highways (Mar '13) Mar '13 Andy 1
•••
•••
•••