Coalition fights mall in Syosset

There are 20 comments on the Jun 3, 2007, Newsday story titled Coalition fights mall in Syosset. In it, Newsday reports that:

A coalition of residents and businesses in the Town of Oyster Bay has called on a developer to forgo plans for an upscale mall in Syosset and accept their proposal for a development with senior housing and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Nassau County Civic Assoc

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Jun 3, 2007
We believe that the community's plan should be considered by the developer.

www.nassaucivic.com

“Read between the lines”

Since: Mar 07

Lindenhurst, NY

#3 Jun 4, 2007
Same old story, someone wants to develop a site for commercial purposes and everyone and their mothers come down with the N.I.M.B.Y. syndrome. Same thing is happening in Deer Park for a new Tanger Outlet, same thing happened in Brightwaters when they wanted to bring in a Lowe's, same thing happened when people found out the NY Jets wanted to put a stadium in NYC and then into Brooklyn. What everyone forgets though is that by creating a new commercial property, it creates jobs for people, and actually helps revitalize and improve communities by bringing in more money.
BIG BUSINESS

San Francisco, CA

#4 Jun 4, 2007
You greedy scum buckets are intent on destroying the Island. Let you and your families rot in hell forever and ever.
No Way

Edison, NJ

#6 Jun 4, 2007
BIG BUSINESS wrote:
You greedy scum buckets are intent on destroying the Island. Let you and your families rot in hell forever and ever.
So true. These scumbag developers are throwing the quality of life here on LI further down the tubes...more traffic and another mall is the last thing we need. Keep the developers in Jersey.
Uncle Sam

Hillsborough, NC

#7 Jun 4, 2007
I worked in Syosset in a field that dealt directly with Taubman from 1994-2006. I have had meetings with them about logistics.
The mall is going to be built there.
Taubman is not a small developer with big plans Taubman is a huge developer who has a long history of what they want.
The Taubman people kid that the "people making the most noise will be the first one's complaining when the Post Office delivers their sales book late".
They joke "if we build it they will come".
Taubman also knows who is funding the anti-Mall complaint.
Could it be the owners of the other malls?

Tinker

Flushing, NY

#8 Jun 4, 2007
I think this is a fantastic idea. Any project that encroaches on the perfect little fantasy world of Soyosset is a good idea in my book. In fact, I think the developer should be given a green light to bulldoze large tracks of Soyosset and rebuild the town in whatever vision they feel fit. In fact, they should knock down a majority of Syosset and build a stadium for the Jets.
Long Islander

AOL

#10 Jun 4, 2007
How refreshing it would be for Venditto to stand by senior housing instead of another mall. The ball field on Old Sunrise Hwy in East Massapequa seemed to happen over night. If Venditto is that empassioned to maintain a progressive outlook for the Syosset community, it would be triumphant for L.I.'s GOP. Let's see how this unfolds.
steve

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Jun 4, 2007
Give me a break! If you want (civic assoc.) to do soemthing different with the land,buy it.What gives you the right to tell a man who owns a piece of land what to do wih it. This isnt communist Russia. Get a grip.You dont like it move!
No problem

Hicksville, NY

#13 Jun 4, 2007
Have the Town create a new park district for those homes affected by the Cerro project, take the property by emminent domain and let those 4-5000 homeowners pay off the the bond and pay for the maintenance and the clean-up.

Hurry folks, its not too late to do a referendum for November. I'm sure the Town will be happy to accomodate you.
who cares

Denver, CO

#14 Jun 4, 2007
"build it and they will come"
LI Shopper

Shirley, NY

#15 Jun 4, 2007
There is not a single store that isn't already within a 7 minute drive of this location! What would they possibly put there????????? What other stores do we need that could possibly fill a whole mall???? All I can think of are some restaurants....
Maybe if traffic patterns were seriously altered - make any commercial development not accessible by Robbins Lane which has a school on it - access from the Service Road and/or through the back from J'cho Turpike which is already industrial???
NO MALL!!
Jericho Resident

Jericho, NY

#16 Jun 4, 2007
No Mall Here! This alternate development idea is great. Taubman should work with the community.
Concerned Homeowner

Jericho, NY

#17 Jun 4, 2007
The community leaders involved with this effort are fantastic. The alternate proposal is great and the entire region should support it.
Tinker

Flushing, NY

#19 Jun 4, 2007
We don't need more senior housing. We need housing that's attractive to young people. This proposal is a fantastic idea and should be thoroughly supported. Don't like it? Then don't live in one of the largest metro areas in the world. Move in with the cows in Albany.
Sensible One

Plainview, NY

#20 Jun 4, 2007
Why does Taubman continue to push for a mall when the community is so much against it and is willing to work with the company to build a more sensible project instead? What do Taubman's shareholders think about this?
Nassau County Civic Assoc

Brooklyn, NY

#21 Jun 4, 2007
steve wrote:
Give me a break! If you want (civic assoc.) to do soemthing different with the land,buy it.What gives you the right to tell a man who owns a piece of land what to do wih it. This isnt communist Russia. Get a grip.You dont like it move!
We like others work within the system. You have your opinion and so do our members. People are tired of over development on Long Island.

As to the viability of defeating the developer's plans, it may be difficult if he is developing the land as a matter of right excluding any variances. I believe that this is the case.
Nassau County Resident

AOL

#22 Jun 4, 2007
Roosevelt Field Mall is 15 minutes west of the Cerro property. Walt Whitman Mall is 15 minutes east. Broadway Mall is 5 minutes south. In addition, the North Shore area is filled with expensive boutiqes and strip malls. WE DO NOT NEED ANOTHER MALL IN THIS AREA!!!!!!

In addition, the construction jobs promised by the mall project would also exist if an alternate development were built here. The retail jobs promised by a mall are not the kind of careers that Nassau County students are looking for when they graduate and leave the area. The proposed mall will only put out of business the many shops owned by local residents.

There is no advantage or logical reason to build a mall on the Cerro property.
Local Yokel

Northport, NY

#23 Jun 4, 2007
There is an elementary school within a quarter mile of the location for this mall , cars already drive 45 past it even with a posted 25 mph limit, now add the mall.... its a recipe for disaster...

The taubmans own the property and have a right to build, and they will build something, but they also should deal with the environmental impact - traffic - that is going to be generated. What are the plans for reducing usage of Robins lane? Haven't heard any....I think they've stuck their heads in the sand on that one and claimed acceptable impact.... yeah, right...

I really don't know what the trades are complaining about..... something will be built and when they do their will be lots of construction jobs , what do they care what gets built?!! c'mon guys......

The homeowners assn. has great ideas for alternative use, I sure hope some are adopted. Would be nice to have something with less cars attracted to it. And we definitely need more lower cost housing for the 20-30 somethings to buy...
no mall here

Plainview, NY

#24 Jun 4, 2007
Over development and GREED on the developer's part is one more reason why everyone is fed up with LI. Let's voice our oppinion to make an example in this case and show Taubman that we, the people, should have a say on what happens in our residential neighborhoods. Venditto, Make an example out of Taubman; stop them on their tracks!!(pun intended.)
jay rosenbaum

New York, NY

#25 Jun 4, 2007
The Taubman proposed mall is an insult to the community. The negative impact on the adjacent residential communities due the large amount of commercial and shopping traffic would be horrific.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Syosset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 32 min Bruser 2,433
Searching... 15 hr Military Family 1
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 17 hr Bruser 8,011
News 2 Charged in Massapequa Shooting (Jun '10) Sat Vito HB Ny 15
News LI VetsBuild program trains veterans for 'green... Sat mjjcpa 1
News Bellmore bank robbery suspect had been deported... (Jun '08) Apr 24 mjjcpa 19
News Neglect charges for messy house mom (Mar '07) Apr 22 Kim 177
More from around the web

Syosset People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]