Review: Scarsella's Florist

Review: Scarsella's Florist

Posted in the Syosset Forum

RGS

Middle Village, NY

#1 Sep 11, 2009
We recently contracted with Scarsella's Florist which was listed as one of three suggested floral vendors for our son's wedding. While in the end the flowers were beautiful, I WOULD NEVER, EVER RECOMMEND THIS FLORIST.
There were a number of issues which the owner would not even take the time acknowledge. I provided extensive detail of what had gone wrong. The owner dodged instead of returning my calls. However, he did find the time to meet with me last year to sign a contract and accept a deposit, and more recently found the time to meet me on a street corner to collect an outstanding balance of $265 before the party, but could not find the time to return my calls after the event.
In an email, I listed in detail the many problems, some of which began as early as two weeks prior to the wedding. And I made it quite clear that from the outside looking in, no one would know, or think there had been any issues. I acknowledged that in pictures, the flowers, even including the color coordination with the wedding party clothing were all beautiful. But Scarsella failures included:
(1)The loss of records (and memory) of what the floral centerpieces were to be
(2)Bringing the bride to tears at a meeting two weeks before the wedding when a Scarsellas representative said,“flowers are unimportant, no one will even care.”
(3)Same representative told me that the bride was “difficult” to work with. That comment was not professional, it was uncalled for and certainly not appreciated.
(4 Scarsellas insisted, when all but $265 had been paid in full the week before the event, that I meet the owner in the city to pay that insignificant balance before the party, rather than the day of. The next 4 issues (5-8 below) are precisely why I should not have done that!
(5 Owner and event manager left the Temple without checking with me first for a walk through, to ask if everything was satisfactory. Instead, they simply disappeared.
(6)Tall centerpieces were not made up as the bride had specified or been promised, and when the ‘green grass’ was removed, they appeared not as full as they should have been, had they contained all the flowers we were promised.
(7 Ballroom was not set up according to planned specifications, with the tall centerpieces in the outer circle as we wanted, and had to be changed.
(8 Talit were not hung inside the Chuppa, and since the reps left (without first checking with me) we had to scramble to get them hung ourselves.
Most issues occurred the day of the party, but my anger and dissatisfaction were instigated not by how the ballroom looked, or how the overall ceremony and party looked, but rather, by first having to meet the owner on a street corner to pay a balance $265 (which could have been paid at the event) and then, by the owners failure to even check with me before leaving the Temple! Had he had the professional business sense and courtesy to do that, we would have found early on that they had failed to hang the Tallit inside the Chuppa. And finally, their failure to have the good sense and professional courtesy to return my calls after the party to listen to feedback is simply inexcusable.
The owner said,“I take pride in everything in life.” If that was so, he would care about and acknowledge what might have gone wrong, and he would have checked with me before leaving. But his insistence that every cent be paid in full in advance, is a clear indication that all he really cared about is the bottom line, and once that money is paid, he disappeared.
SHAME ON SCARSELLAS!!!!!
Maria S

New York, NY

#2 Jan 20, 2010
I agree Shame on Scarsellas! I had the same problem wit my wedding with them. They were only concerned with $ then what i wanted for my wedding. I would never use them. Unprofessional staff and owner randy is rude!
Lisa

Morristown, NJ

#3 Mar 2, 2010
Although I only am looking for a local florist to send flowers to my sister for her birthday one look at this review sent me to another florist. Thank you for letting the public know what kind of people we are dealing with, I wont even send him my small amount of business. I hope you get some satisfaction knowing that you have influenced others to steer clear.
Angie Romanelli

Levittown, NY

#5 Sep 30, 2010
Had flowers delivered to me the week of September 23rd from my boyfriend through Scarsella]'s and although they were to be delivered to my job, I had already left when the driver came to give them to me and was so unexpectedly surprised when the driver showed up at my home that night with the flowers. I think his name was Brian and he was very professional, courteous and would not even take a tip for going out of his way like he did. My hats off to the driver, this is the only experience I have had with this florist so I cannot comment on any of the other reviews, but was impressed with the delivery driver.
jbride

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Nov 7, 2010
Maria S wrote:
I agree Shame on Scarsellas! I had the same problem wit my wedding with them. They were only concerned with $ then what i wanted for my wedding. I would never use them. Unprofessional staff and owner randy is rude!
I was considering to go with them...waht were your major concerns? Did you work with Carolyn?
B Gellman

Brooklyn, NY

#8 May 19, 2011
I had a wonderful experience with Carolyn and Scarsella's. They did the decorations at my daughter's Bat Mitzvah which wasn't easy because my daughter wanted one thing and I another. Carolyn spoke to us both, told us her ideas and then executed them brilliantly! I put all my trust in her and did not try to micromanage the situation and it really paid off. The first time we saw the room, my jaw dropped, it was sooooo beautiful and better than either my daughter or I could have imagined. It is rare these days when you hire someone to do a job and they exceed your expectations, and they did!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Syosset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 9 hr Bruser 2,819
News 41 undocumented immigrants arrested in NY amid ... (Feb '17) Dec 10 Steve Levy 26
News Peter King calls Michael Jackson 'child molester' (Jul '09) Dec 10 Spotted Wee 7,376
Dick and Dora's (Nov '09) Dec 8 Val in Az 71
history of west hempstead (Feb '09) Dec 6 Hank T 46
News Police: 6 teens go missing from Mercy First gro... Sep '17 tom montalbano 1
Cancers around Cerro Wire (Feb '08) Aug '17 Randi 16

Syosset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Syosset Mortgages