Security video raises questions about...

Security video raises questions about Oceanside brawl -

There are 338 comments on the Newsday story from Aug 21, 2007, titled Security video raises questions about Oceanside brawl -. In it, Newsday reports that:

The grainy scenes on the security video show a seemingly violent beating inside a McDonald's in Oceanside -- but now the question is who administered the beating and who received it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 17
Next Last
Southbound

East Hampton, NY

#1 Aug 21, 2007
Sounds like self-defense to me. People who attack in gangs are cowards, regardless of their skin color. The clown who got hit with the bottle probably got exactly what he deserved.
But how could there be a 25 year sentence possible out of a fight?
lol

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Aug 21, 2007
Gotta love miscegenation.

Or not.
jane

Monterrey, Mexico

#3 Aug 21, 2007
Southbound wrote:
Sounds like self-defense to me. People who attack in gangs are cowards, regardless of their skin color. The clown who got hit with the bottle probably got exactly what he deserved.
But how could there be a 25 year sentence possible out of a fight?
McDonald's in Oceanside is not a very safe place to eat ,there's always strange people around that place...
Well deserved

United States

#5 Aug 21, 2007
If you try to jump someone and they hit you with a bottle... you deserve what you got. Especially if your only reason to start the altercation is racially motivated. I hope this kids lawyer is good enough to beat this case.
NEWSDAY BIAs

Hawthorne, NJ

#6 Aug 21, 2007
Leave it to newsday post the picture of him on the ground and him with is game face with mommy. I hope the tape tells the complete story. If NCPD reviewed the tapes, Im sure the have the right person arrested. Just wave your hands in the air and wave em like u jus dont care.
Mike

Wappingers Falls, NY

#7 Aug 21, 2007
Figures the cops go after the black guy in oceanside. Oceanside kids for whatever reason are trouble makers but the cops never seems to bother with them always the other guy. Always seems that theres a group of oceanside kids beating people up and the person defending themselves gets arrested. Some set these cops have on them 10 -12 kids against 2 and they go after the those two sounds like oceanside alrighty bunch of kids that have a little bit of money and think then can do whatever they want. And the cops just let them do it oceanside always have and always will
The Man

Ashburn, VA

#9 Aug 21, 2007
The beer bottle says it all. Bye bye aloysius.
lier

Englishtown, NJ

#10 Aug 21, 2007
Well deserved wrote:
If you try to jump someone and they hit you with a bottle... you deserve what you got. Especially if your only reason to start the altercation is racially motivated. I hope this kids lawyer is good enough to beat this case.
Exactly - I am a white man, so I am not taking race sides, but the dueche bags who started the fight should be the ones arrested. Multiple surgeries? what did this bottle do???
Beer here

Tarrytown, NY

#12 Aug 21, 2007
McDs is now selling beer in a bottle with those fries?

Since: Feb 07

Brentwood, NY

#13 Aug 21, 2007
If this guy was attacked first, all bets are off. How does he know one of the attackers won't pull a knife or a gun? I'd defend myself with whatever was in reach as well.
Sure seems like the DA went after the person who "looked" the easiest to convict.
Bob Hay

Apollo Beach, FL

#14 Aug 21, 2007
This supports the old adage that when the police show up at a street fight the loser goes to the hospital and the winner goes to jail - they don't care who did what or who started it.
JAG

Brooklyn, NY

#15 Aug 21, 2007
"Staton acted in self-defense when he and his friend were victims of a brutal beating by five or six young men who had been drinking and were upset that Staton, who is black, had a white girlfriend with him, Shanahan said."

"Where all the white women at?"
Pete

Highland, NY

#16 Aug 21, 2007
Cabby631 wrote:
Because a bottle is classified as a dangerious weapon you idiot!
Arrest them all.
There is no room in society for this type of deliquency.
I'd love to see a gang fight in progress. The steering wheel would take aim the gas peddle would hit the floor and I'd say I had a seizure and could not stop. So either Mc Donalds would get a New Black top parking lot with the scattered bodys, or They would have crooked white parking lines.
Forget that. You have some big problems of your own.
PETE F

AOL

#17 Aug 21, 2007
The old saying is the loser goes to the hospital and the winner goes to jail.

From the looks of only one photo I have to say the white guys got what they deserved. I counted up to maybe 8 against 2.
ITS A SHAME

Huntington Station, NY

#19 Aug 21, 2007
Mike wrote:
Figures the cops go after the black guy in oceanside. Oceanside kids for whatever reason are trouble makers but the cops never seems to bother with them always the other guy. Always seems that theres a group of oceanside kids beating people up and the person defending themselves gets arrested. Some set these cops have on them 10 -12 kids against 2 and they go after the those two sounds like oceanside alrighty bunch of kids that have a little bit of money and think then can do whatever they want. And the cops just let them do it oceanside always have and always will
always? stop
Lenny

AOL

#21 Aug 21, 2007
Mike wrote:
Figures the cops go after the black guy in oceanside. Oceanside kids for whatever reason are trouble makers but the cops never seems to bother with them always the other guy. Always seems that theres a group of oceanside kids beating people up and the person defending themselves gets arrested. Some set these cops have on them 10 -12 kids against 2 and they go after the those two sounds like oceanside alrighty bunch of kids that have a little bit of money and think then can do whatever they want. And the cops just let them do it oceanside always have and always will
What a uneducated thing to say. The Police & The District Attorney reviewed this tape and guess what? The charges have not been dropped against this young man. So now the lawyer all of a sudden pulls out the race card to help his client. They "all" should been charged with assault cross-complaints, which looks like what will happened. I see your from Elmont, there's a place that has gone down the drain. That town was once such a nice place to live and work. It was very safe, that's no longer the case. Shootings, Murder, Gangs and Drugs are now common place there. I can see by your comments that your very comfortable with that. As long as the Police stay away from all the non-white's I guess your Ok with that? NEWS FLASH!! A criminal is a criminal regards of the skin color!!!! Enjoy that sewer you live in, Elmont is now a Ghetto. Who's fault is that Mike? all the Red headed Irish kids running around doing all the crimes???? Remember a criminal is a criminal regardless of color!!!
alice

AOL

#22 Aug 21, 2007
Carter Burke wrote:
If this guy was attacked first, all bets are off. How does he know one of the attackers won't pull a knife or a gun? I'd defend myself with whatever was in reach as well.
Sure seems like the DA went after the person who "looked" the easiest to convict.
The race card was pulled out by the lawyer, when his guy took the heavy charge. Both him and the others should all be charge period!!
Rich Caron

Canada

#24 Aug 21, 2007
It doesn't matter what part race played in this...

Rather than Newsday trying to portray Staton as a completely innocent party here, I'd like them to dig up the answers to a couple questions:

Where did the beer bottle come from? Was it open? Was he drinking from it? Why did Staton have it in his hand...what kind of person walks into a McDonalds restaurant with a beer bottle?

Regardless who started the fight, the bottle was a weapon and it caused severe bodily harm. Granted, whoever started the fight should be charged as well...that's obvious. But Staton chose to use a weapon, and must be held responsible for that choice. What would be the reaction if he picked up a gun and shot the guy? Self defense doesn't justify the extent of what he did.

When are people going to learn to take responsibility for their choices? Staton should have learned that after his first conviction.

Since: Feb 07

Brentwood, NY

#25 Aug 21, 2007
Rich Caron wrote:
But Staton chose to use a weapon, and must be held responsible for that choice. What would be the reaction if he picked up a gun and shot the guy? Self defense doesn't justify the extent of what he did.
He hit the guy with a bottle in self defense. No law against that and there's no law against using a gun in self defense either.
Rich Caron wrote:
When are people going to learn to take responsibility for their choices? Staton should have learned that after his first conviction.
Petit Larceny doesn't and shouldn't teach people to lay down and take a beating. Everything I've read and what the images show says this was self defense. If I was attacked and had a bottle to hit my attacker with, I would. The guy who attacked is the one who hopefully learned about the consequences of his actions.
Chopper

Grand Junction, CO

#26 Aug 21, 2007
Enter stage left: BIG AL.

Hey where has he been anyway?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Syosset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 2 hr save your souls 2,847
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 2 hr save your souls 8,760
News At least 55 years for man convicted of murderin... (Jan '07) 14 hr Dee2 2
News Developer Jerry Wolkoff seeks discount on Heart... Apr 16 Happy island 20
News Charges Filed In LI Chimney Sweep Scam (Feb '06) Apr 15 Mill Ania 340
Review: Popkin-Brogna Jujitsu Center (Nov '14) Apr 12 Lisa Barbato 32
News Cops: Man accused of stealing from his Farmingd... Apr 11 Sauerkraut 1

Syosset Jobs

Personal Finance

Syosset Mortgages