Cuomo wants to cap school superintendent's pay

Mar 1, 2011 Full story: Star-Gazette.COM 21

BLOGS Cuomo wants to cap school superintendent's pay Comments ALBANY -- New York Gov.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Publius

Albany, NY

#1 Mar 1, 2011
Hey Andy-- Superintendent salaries are negotiatied between the individual and the local school board... you have no business sticking your nose in there.
Leonard

Dunkirk, NY

#2 Mar 1, 2011
CUOMO- You were put in Albany to deal with STATE issues. STAY OUT OF OUR LOCAL ISSUES!!!
RubyBegonia

Schenectady, NY

#3 Mar 1, 2011
Andrew:

Tell the districts that they get no state-aid if they don't cap their salaries.

Then, the Superintendants can explain to residents that their school taxes will be going up 25% because the super wants to keep his high salary.
The Real Educator

Rochester, NY

#4 Mar 1, 2011
Thank you Governor for showing leadership. This is a great idea. The salaries are out of control, these boys are not CEO nor are they CSO. Under the Civil Service Law of The State of New York you are Superintendent of Schools. You are not a CEO of the largest corporation wihtin a rural or small community, you are not among the corporate leaders of a suburban community. You are, under law, supposed to be the educational leader of your community. But osme SOS do not live in the community, so how do you lead in the community. Mix with the masses. When I was a kid in my city our SOS's phone number was listed in the phone book. He had a doctorate, we had 7 elementary schools, a jr. high and a senior high, yet he was accessible, so was our Assistant Superintendent. Recently, we have seen Cathy Black elevated to be Chancellor of NYC public Schools-this should have never happened, not one word from NYSCOSS-not one word. The law permits it, but the decision is being appealed. Pedagogical efforts and focus are the jobs of an SOS, not buildings, because you have little experience as an SOS and proceed to work on the buildings. A experienced SOS friend of mine said to me-watch the SOS's that are poor they will have the walls painted in a school, work on facilities, move staff in the buildings, and do everything but affect the educational program because they have no skill set-read knowledge-to do that. Too many SOS are inexperienced when appointed and have had too little experience in a central office. We end up with too many poor SOS. Let me take a moment to say Thank you for this circumstance to our 37 DS's. Let me qualify this too, several of your are outstanding-thank you so sincerely for your service to us all, others of your act like your the regional Superintendent whose job it is to represent school district SOS's. You see we have seen this and have grown tired of your behaviors, lack of efforts to improve eductaion, waiting for "Albany" for direction. Well your getting direction now from people that really care about children FIRST, performance and outcomes from expenditures. Glad to say our state is showing such leadership that 200 of the small districts will be merged. Great Commissioner, outstanding Senior Deputy, a Chancellor and Deputy Chancellor that "get it" and now a Governor supporting them all. This is leadership. I knew you would like it but perhaps you should have been nicer to me. And,it has been obvious we have needed to merge districts for decades, where was NYSCOSS pushing for this through the legislature, et. al., asking for improvements and striving for leadership. Lastly, another sincere thanks to the SOS, that work so hard for their communities and students- I do not want to ignore their efforts or work. They are the backbone of a solid communities educational efforts.You go Andy!! IN NYS education is the purvue of the state not localities, you know it just trying to BS us.
Anne Ominous

Candor, NY

#5 Mar 1, 2011
The problem is we have too many superintendents. Let's just eliminate them and save all of the money.
RubyBegonia

Schenectady, NY

#6 Mar 1, 2011
Okay, there is a Superintendant on Long Island who makes about $380,000 per year.

Now, this guys works about 260 days out of the years, which means that he makes approximately $1500 per day! This breaks down to about $187 per hour for an eight-hour day.

This person is paid $3.00 per minute!
Publius

Albany, NY

#7 Mar 1, 2011
A Superintendent is, in business terms, the CEO of their company. Would any of you begrudge a CEO making $380,000?

If you want to have the best and most talented, you have to pay them appropriate executive salaries.
zeldo

Middleburgh, NY

#8 Mar 1, 2011
RubyBegonia wrote:
Andrew:
Tell the districts that they get no state-aid if they don't cap their salaries.
Then, the Superintendants can explain to residents that their school taxes will be going up 25% because the super wants to keep his high salary.
why do folks judge you to be spam, clueless, and nuts??

apparently they are right.

hey kingfish get a life .......
RubyBegonia

Schenectady, NY

#9 Mar 1, 2011
Publius wrote:
A Superintendent is, in business terms, the CEO of their company. Would any of you begrudge a CEO making $380,000?
If you want to have the best and most talented, you have to pay them appropriate executive salaries.
A school superintendent is in no way the equivalent to a CEO.

CEO's are responsible for profit. CEO's take money and MAKE money; school superintendents take money and spend it.

Now, as to the "best and most talented" remark...New York State ranks in the lowest 5 percent of academic success in the nation. If you want to talk business, let's talk business. If you hired a CEO and, after two years, your company ranked 45 out of 50 in terms of performance...would you call him/her the "best and brightest"

There isn't one superintendent that should earn over $150,000 per year; if they don't want to work for those wages...f*ck em'; let these assho1es try to duplicate that salary in the private-sector; they'll be luck to make $80,000.
RubyBegonia

Schenectady, NY

#10 Mar 1, 2011
zeldo wrote:
<quoted text>
why do folks judge you to be spam, clueless, and nuts??
apparently they are right.
hey kingfish get a life .......
Why do the women on these boards call you a creep?

Same reason.
GreenLiving

Schenectady, NY

#11 Mar 1, 2011
Zeldo, did you just fart?
barn fart zeldo

Troy, NY

#12 Mar 1, 2011
That was me who just passed the gas. sorry.
DrippySlalom

Schenectady, NY

#13 Mar 1, 2011
Either the district caps their salaries, or is loses millions in State Aid...it's really just that simple.
GreenLiving

Schenectady, NY

#14 Mar 1, 2011
I agree, let the district-residents decide if they want to make up the difference in higher property taxes.
zeldo

Middleburgh, NY

#15 Mar 1, 2011
RubyBegonia wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do the women on these boards call you a creep?
Same reason.
they are frigid bits who havent gotten any in a long time....

that is why
The Real Educator

Bennington, VT

#16 Mar 1, 2011
Ruby great statement. You are on the mark. I was saddened when Bob Lowery said ONLY $15 million would be saved and that Governor Cuomo was not focused on the real problem (s). Oh I think he is properly focused and knows fully what he is doing. Ruby you seem to well understand what some of these boys are babbling about when they refer to themselves as a cSP to mimick a CEO. I cannot in strong enough terms agree you more. Nice blog
Overrated

Hamburg, NY

#17 Mar 3, 2011
If you were a CEO of a business that had the results that this state has in the public school system, your asses would have been fired and you never would have even been paid 175,000 to start with!
Mike D3

Albany, NY

#18 Mar 3, 2011
zeldo wrote:
<quoted text>
they are frigid bits who havent gotten any in a long time....
that is why
Hey, you idiot...this is a thread about school superintendent pay. I know that you're senile, but, at least TRY to keep up.
Celeste

Albany, NY

#19 Mar 4, 2011
Some posters have it wrong about Superintendents
and the lack of students' progress because:
1. some of the kids come from troubled homes that are not condusive for learning, be it a parent,
sibling in prison....substance abuse by parent, single moms working more than one job, scary
neighborhoods.
2. School environment.....why isn't there a dress code....would you hire someone that dresses in an antisocial or immodest manner.
3. Put these kids in uniforms.
4. The liberals done the schools in.
5. Some of the kids are so scared in school because of being beaten up, bullied and yes murder
Columbine. this is what supers are up against...
For safety in the classroom choose a Catholic school if you can......have a good day....
Celeste

Albany, NY

#20 Mar 4, 2011
In other words there is too much going on for kids in school worrying about themselves to zero in on schools. Also some kids with worries can get lost in school districts with one centralized high school. Before in Albany you have Philip Schuyler,
Albany High, Milne, 2 private, at least 5 Catholic schools. See..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Syosset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tarrantino murders (Jun '11) 6 hr njfrank 156
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 16 hr Bruser 7,888
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 18 hr Ha Ha 6,445
Garbage pail scavengers in levittown Mon Sambee 2
NY Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in N... (Oct '10) Sun Jimmy Rustle 676
FCGOA Pres Guy James SELLS-OUT 188 Securitas Of... (Apr '11) Sep 21 anthony 2
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) Sep 21 truth 759
•••

Syosset News Video

•••
Syosset Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Syosset Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Syosset People Search