Saint James, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Judged:

Horrible teaching,(teacher always 10-15 minutes late), class ended early (by 10-15 minutes). No real dance steps were learned and the children even dreaded going toward the end of the year.

Many better schools available.
Not a DREAM a NIGHTMARE

East Northport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

From the class beginning late each week to the recital starring the owner's daughter's with one or two dances by "non-company" dancers mixed in here or there, it was obvious this was not in fact a dance school where any teaching went into the classes, it is an excuse to put the owner's daughters on stage (at $20 per ticket for us reguilar parents) out of 30 dances, the owner's daughters were in over 20 of them.
If you want to see YOUR child on stage, look into other schools in the area. I suggest Miss Claire's in Bellmore
michelle- wantagh ny

Levittown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2009

Judged:

i do not know what school you are talking about but it most definitely cannot be dare to dream dance studio in wantagh on jerusalem ave. my daughters have been dancing there for five years and have been nothing but delighted and have grown so much so as dancers. the owner and staff are always both friendly and professional.yes, her daughters and company are very talented but just looked over my recent recital brochure and they were in 7 numbers to be exact (not the extremely exaggerated posting of 20) why anyone would want to bad mouth such an extremely loving passionate owner and teacher is beyond my comprehension. every chikd that i have seen encounter her has fallen in love not only with her but the art of dance. with a studio of more than 200 studenta, i wish all would write a testimony as i am positive all would read like mine.
Maria

Saint James, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2009

Judged:

To Michelle in Wantagh...this most certainly is the same school. I would be happy to post a copy of the last dance recital brochure if there were a posting page on this log to show the names in each of the 32 dances... The owner's daughters were in no loss than 20 of the 30 dances.
In fact speaking of the dances, the majority were so over the top as far as ghetto hip hop that my 66 year old father left mortified that parents would want to see their young children dancing as if they were dueling it out to see who could be most raunchy for gang initiation.
While peeking in the door to class, I noted numerous times the girls sitting on the floor chatting while the teacher (Miss Lisa) did nothing, including teach.

You have your opinion, I have mine, along with at least 6 other parents from my daughters class who have already contacted a better school more known for teaching classic dance rather then gangster wannabe moves.(for lack of a better name for that type of dance)

HORRIBLE school. I'd like to see your copy of the recital program because I am certain it may be a misprint if you don't see the Casamassino name in nearly all dances.
David

Saint James, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2009

Judged:

Please read before registering: Basic facts: The teacher (owner) was always late, students were literally left out in the rain some days waiting for her or the assistant to get there and open.
Speaking of rain,a "Hip Hop" dance featuring the owner's 3daughters "moving" it to "It's Raining Men" ended with the youngest girl surely under 10 years of age)stripping off her raincoat to reveal a swimsuit, then proceeded to hug a cutout of a shirtless surfer dude. Is this the character of a woman you want guiding your child? One who finds it amusing to see her youngest daughter hug a cutout of a man on stage?
In conclusion, the teaching is extremely substandard (my daughter almost lost her love of song and dance) and the character of those whose hands you are putting your child's innocence in leaves much to be desired. Where do we draw the line? I know I will not allow my daughter to be registered for this school again, in fact we have already found a school with professional attitudes, teachers of character and a staff that prides themselves on their 30 year record of giving children the gift of the love of dance.
Great School

Hicksville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2009

Judged:

I find that the studio is a great learing experience my daughter is signing up the teachers are great i love it there they are a great family and welcoming too.
Jen

Saint James, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2009

Judged:

Poor teaching, teacher had no control over the class. Freeze dance and munchkin parties dominated the year and it showed in the final recital.
less than thrilled

Bellmore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2009

Judged:

To Michelle in Wantagh -- I've got to agree with the negative reviews posted here. Have you been to another dance school to have a point of reference? My daughter's experience was less than positive. I had to drag her to every class: she hated going, hated sitting on the floor, hated the lack of firmness and direction of the part of the teacher. She came from another school where it was not competitive, but firmly loving, a good mix of teaching and fun. The comparison between the schools was like cotton balls and apples. Both round, but so far apart in terms of teaching technique. The end result for my daughter's recital was just plain awful. The girls looked as though they had just been introduced to the routine the week prior, when in fact they had been doing it and nothing but for months. My 70+ year old parents who normally stay through an entire recital left at intermission in embarrassment, thankful that their grandchild's "performance" was on the 1st half. I won't judge the number of performances of the owner's daughters in the recital -- who's to tell her what's appropriate and not, but I could see it being judged as excessive. Of the 12 or so kids in this particular class, 7 of the parents that I have stayed in touch with will not return based on our experience. I think that speaks volumes.
allison

Levittown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2009

Judged:

to all of you with the negative opinions about a wonderful school, i am most positive my daughter was in the same class with the 6 0r 7 of you making the negative comments. myself and the other mothers are way too happy to see you go.we even requested to not have our children be put with yours this year,due to their unruly behavior. the parenting skills were awful, not once did i witness a parent repremand their child for disrupting the class with rudeness, unkindness to the other kids, not listening, etc. etc. etc. i even throughout the course of the year told miss lisa that i could never handle it. the parents did nothing but coffee clutch with their dunkin donuts and complain about their lives . they were miserable and it absolutely showed in their children. God bless miss lisa for her patience. And good luck to the new school that has acquired you as customers: better them than us. We are like a close family at dare to dream and are more than pleased to get rid of such negativity.As far as the teaching and technique...she doesnt have 200+ students because of her beauty (although she acquires that too both inside and out): that fact alone should speak for itself about the teaching and technique that goes on at the school.It's truly infuriating to hear these comments posted about a human being with a heart of gold and her 3 extremely gifted , loving children. if you werent happy with your childs performance, dont blame the teacher. how about enforcing practice!!!! well ,anyway good luck to you and whatever studio is going to have the pleasure of your company.We will try not to miss u 2 much.
Shanaynay

Hempstead, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

WOW
JJJ

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Judged:

Isn't it funny that all the negative comments came from a town in LI almost 40 minutes from Wantagh?!?!?!?!?! Can it be 1 group of miserable mothers that have nothing else to do except complain about everything but themselves. I have been at DTD for 4 years and Lisa and her family have been nothing but wonderful. I think these moms should re-evaluate themselves, their parenting skills and their children. Some kids just aren't coordinated enough for dancing school. And maybe these ladies kids were just not that good!!!!
LOL

East Northport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

Yes, I have left Dare to Dream and the new school is more than happy to have my daughter as a student. Funny how because I find it disheartening that my daughter learned nothing in dance after the full year, I am labeled a "miserable person with a horrible life"... joke is really on you b/c my life rocks. My daughter gets rave reviews from her school teachers regarding her behavior in class, compassion toward fellow students and attention she pays to details in the work she does.
My questions for you, Allison... how is you life that you find it appropriate for a teacher to always be late, how do you know children were "unruly in class"? Class was behind closed doors. If there were unruly children, why didn't the teacher address the issue with the parents? I recall the "coffee clutches" laughing alot, not something miserable people do. Oh and yes, will your daughter be doing the striptease with the surfer dude next year? How can a parent find that appropriate, I would not want my child in the hands of anuyone that finds such a dance move "cute". Happy to leave, your daughter must be in an almost private class from what I heard, the majority of the class is not returning... that is what speaks louder than your typed words,
I am off to enjoy the rest of this beautiful day now, knowing my daughter will be in good hands at her new dance school.
David

Saint James, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

to JJJ and Alison, I find it truly disheartening that you felt the need to put the chldren in the class down, to state that a bunch of 6 or 7 year olds were acting like...wait... a bunch of 6 or 7 year olds, that they were "just not that good", were awkward and unable to dance and that the parents should basically realize that their children have no talent??? To aim comments like that at young, innocent girls who thankfully will never see your posts is heartless and despicable.
The negative comments on this board were opinions of the dances being inappropriate for certain age groups, valid complaints of teachers' late arrivals and lack of teaching "basic" skills such as the basic ballet positions, etc.
Do you feel better now to have bad mouthed innocent children, belittled their attempts at trying to dance by calling them akward and "just not that good"? I am beyond relieved that we have chosen to register our daughter eleswhere. Parents who put down other children need to take a good long look at themselves in a mirror and put yourself in that child's shoes.
As far as judging other's parenting skills... judge not lest ye be judged yourself...
finally remember those on the highest horse, fall the hardest.
I would never tell a child to give up their dream, isn't that the name of the school.. Dare to Dream", yet your posts SCREAM "Your child has no talent, don't dare let her dream".
Shame on you.
Donna

Bellmore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

Wow!!! In researching dance schools in my area, I haven't come across such heated debates for any other school. I'll definitely heed these warnings and keep on looking. You can't pick your family, but you can certainly pick your dance school!
Julie

Wake Forest, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2009

Judged:

I stumbled upon this debate and have decided to add some input from an actual dancer from the studio:

I danced as a company dancer for the oldest company for the first two years that the studio existed (after which my family moved out of state). I loved dancing at Dare to Dream ... I felt that I had grown a lot as a dancer in the 2 years that I spent there. However, the mothers with the negative comments have validity to their statements. Many of the teachers chose to talk with us half of the time, rather than teach, which is upsetting since my mother was paying a hefty tuition check each month, plus costume and competition fees. Class often ran late, started early, etc. I enjoyed being there though, and if you have been there since the beginning you may even remember that at the second recital I won the "Julia Foundation Award".

However, upon leaving Dare to Dream and moving out of state, I saw the terrible things going on. The owner talked behind girls' backs that had left her studio to go to other studios (no doubt because the girls' parents were smart enough to see beyond the owners facade and remove their daughter when they could). I was asked the question, after living in NC for a few months, of how I liked my new dance studio. "It's nice to learn new things," I said, trying to stay positive.

Apparently, this was taken as an insult. I was told never to contact the owner again, and not to use the "Julia Foundation Award" for any future resumes (not that I would have used the made up award in the first place). To top it all off, this was all said to be over AIM Instant Messaging from a 40-something year old woman to a (at the time) 14 year old.

If you want your child to train at a studio where they will be GENUINELY cared for (not just because the owner is being fed a check from you every month) do NOT attend Dare to Dream. If anyone needs further elaboration, do not hesitate to ask.
LOL

Saint James, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2009

to Julie. BRAVO!!! your's is one of the most insightful, honest and beautifully written posts here. You state the facts and tell of your personal experience in a very diplomatic way and I applaud you for that.

I hope you have found a dance school in NC that appreciates your obvious inner beauty and talent (that being diplomacy) as well as the talent for dance you must have in order to have accomplished awards for your perfomances. One that teaches the discipline of dance while nurturing the soul of the dancer as well, for isn't it from our soul that the most beautiful dance comes?

I don't know your age, but am assuming it may be somewhere under 20, at such a young age, to have written such an overall honest and genuine review of this school without being nasty as so many of the other posts have been, I congratulate you on your depth as a person, your consideration for all sides and just a really great, straightforward review!!

Best wishes to you... I hope all of your "dreams" come true:-)

Thank you for an insider's input.
Julie

Wake Forest, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2009

Judged:

Thank you so much! I'm 17 and I actually do not dance anymore ... I've had three knee surgeries since and can't ever dance again, but I appreciate everything that you said!
d2d company dancer

Levittown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

Judged:

DO NOT BRAVO THIS GIRL JULIE. NO ONE KNOWS HER PERSONALLY ; SHE IS A VERY TROUBLED GIRL. MISS LISA WAS ALWAYS VERY CONCERNED ABOUT HER AND WOULD TRY TO CONVINCE ALL OF US TO HAVE COMPASSION FOR HER. YES, SOME OF OUR CLASS TIME WAS SPENT TALKING.......MOSTLY ABOUT JULIES PROBLEMS AND TRYING TO STOP HER FROM CRYING. HOW QUICKLY SHE FORGETS. ANY GIRL WHO LITERALLY EATS HER NAILBEDS OFF HER FINGERS HAS HUGE ISSUES. MISS LISA WOULD CONSTANTLY TRY TO MAKE US BEFRIEND HER. WE TRIED TO TELL HER THAT SHE WAS SNEAKY, A TROUBLE MAKER BUT MISS LISA WOULD NEVER HEAR OF IT. BY THE WAY PEOPLE, UNGRATEFUL JULIE DID NOT MENTION THAT THE JULIA AWARD IS A FOUNDATION FORMED BY MISS LISA IN MEMORY OF HER DECEASED MOTHER. SHE ALSO DIDNT MENTION THE NICE CHECK THAT WAS AWARDED TO HER ALONG WITH THE TROPHY. IF SHE HAD NO BELIEF IN THE AWARD, THEN WHY NOT RETURN THE CHECK?????!!! POOR MISS LISA FOR BELIEVING IN SOMEONE THAT WE ALL TRIED TO WARN HER ABOUT. SHAME ON YOU JULIE!!!!! AS MISS LISA WOULD TELL ME TO DO, I WILL PRAY FOR YOU. IF, YOU EVER READ THIS MISS LISA , PLEASE KNOW THAT YOU ARE SO LOVED. AND IF ANYONE THINKS THAT THEY ARE A CRITIC ON DANE TECHNIQUE,LET THEM JUST DRIVE BY YOUR STUDIO AND SEE THE DOZENS UPON DOZENS OF TROPHIES IN YOUR WINDOWS. THAT IS TESTIMONY IN ITSELF.I AM PROUD TO KNOW THAT I DANCED FOR SOME OF THOSE DANCES. OH, ONE MORE THING.......WHOEVER THIS DAVID GUY IS.....GET A LIFE!!!! YOU SOUND LIKE A WASH WOMAN. SORRY MISS LISA, I JUST NEEDED TO GET THAT OFF MY CHEST!!!!
LOL again

Saint James, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2010

d2d company dancer: Nice post (said sarcastically)you sound like a nasty bully, I've met Miss Lisa and she is not the saint you make her out to be. I don't think anyone in this "debate" is. As for "this David guy", he actually made some very good points on the nastiness of the parents posting here. Reviews are meant to offer opinions of the quality of the school, not to criticize a child's attempts at dancing and aquiring coordination and grace... which is what a dance school is for. I'd rather be a "wash woman" with a heart than a nasty, angry, bully with no real substance as a person.
LOL again

Saint James, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2010

Judged:

Oh and BTW: something tells me that the last post by the d2d dance company is in fact Miss Lisa herself... Could it be??? A couple of things don't sit right... some of the posts here speak on way too personal a level to be simply students or parents of students and also include many business boosting free "ads" announcing trophies,number of students in the school, things that happen behind closed doors of classrooms where parents were not allowed..... just my opinion but I think a certain dance school owner is a bit angry that some truths have been posted about the true quality of her school.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 26
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Syosset News Video

•••
•••

Syosset Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Syosset People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE